F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Even if they don't have on hand stock for the required parts in the US, they could have FED-EXed them from the UK in 2-3 days, no problem (if someone thought it was a priority).

Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Even if they don't have on hand stock for the required parts in the US, they could have FED-EXed them from the UK in 2-3 days, no problem (if someone thought it was a priority).
Also true, and even more unforgivable.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:43 AM

Gotta wonder if they could be sourced from BMW...

Old 08-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
They are on backorder even in the UK. They are having to pull from inventory at the engine assembly plant.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
They are on backorder even in the UK. They are having to pull from inventory at the engine assembly plant.
I waited over a month for a bumper cover last summer. I was told it was shipped three times, that was in Atlanta once, that it was shipped to the wrong shop, that it was stuck in customs, that it was being pulled from the assembly line to be flown over, that the supplier was on holiday. When it finally arrived I was told it was damaged in shipment from being stuffed into too small of a box and then the shop screwed it up trying to straighten it and we repeated the process. The second part was supposedly sent in special packaging which never happened. The second bumper cover was just crammed into an undersized box like the first one. Eventually the car was declared a total loss and I got a whole new car. Jaguar comped me two payments for their part in that fiasco. The truth is the parts availability for this car is a joke and Jaguar is not above telling a fib or two to get the customer off the phone when he inquires about a parts order. We now refer to our replacement car as "the unfixable jag".

Last edited by Nookieman; 08-08-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Thats bordering on unbelievable!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

My suggestion is to open a file with corporate and keep at it until they finally do what they are supposed to do. My wife handled that part and she did daily phone calls or emails until it was resolved. Corporate could not believe the crapola that the parts people were spouting.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please keep in mind that the following is all JMO...

The Viper, Z06, and GT 350 are all going to be rowdier, less pleasant cars than the V6S. My vote for an alternative would have been for a Carrera. If you tip-toed very carefully through the options list, you could get there under $100K...and I find it hard to believe that it would be less fun to drive than your V6S. Its styling may not impress you as much, but lots of other people are impressed by it, too. I know I am, and I'm a life-long Corvette guy (C5 & C7 not withstanding).

Originally Posted by hardwired
How about an AMG slk? They may not appeal to someone who can afford an sls, but some people like them.
If you're not going for a Porsche and don't go above one hundred, I would recommend the m4. Your budget allows you to buy it and add some mods that fix its lack of "soul".
Add an akropovic exhaust, a classy wing, etc. and it'll do
Putting the words "classy" and "wing" next to each other doesn't mean that the combination actually exists, or is even possible...those two words are mutually exclusive.

The thing about the F-Type is that the styling is absolutely flawless and breathtaking. People lose their pooh when you pull up in an F-Type. He wants something with equal elan/panache, and showing up in anything that has an obnoxious exhaust (no matter how expensive it is, or who's name is on it) or a boy-racer wing tacked on will only impress someone who doesn't understand the meaning of "elan" or "panache"...

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 08-08-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

3 weeks for tail lite to come in! I would wait out the repair if there is a second problem then go for it. Using lemon law is not a walk in the park. If dealer gets behind you to get you a new car then maybe avoid lemon, their incentive is selling another car. The manufacturer is not going to just roll over and let you walk away, it will be a long and acrimonious affair into arbitration, might need a lawyer!

Old 08-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hardwired
How about an AMG slk? They may not appeal to someone who can afford an sls, but some people like them.
If you're not going for a Porsche and don't go above one hundred, I would recommend the m4. Your budget allows you to buy it and add some mods that fix its lack of "soul".
Add an akropovic exhaust, a classy wing, etc. and it'll do
The M4 was on my original shortlist pre-F-Type. I do like the idea of a retractable hardtop. As Foosh said, SLK...no MT. I test drove the SLK250 MT when still available and it was a soft squishy handling car lacking in anything resembling power.

I'll look at the Carrera. Hopefully the F-Type is back on the road before the lemon law becomes an option for me.

Dr.M, you obviously understand my styling requirements.( no fixed wings or cherry bomb exhausts)

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-08-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
3 weeks for tail lite to come in! I would wait out the repair if there is a second problem then go for it. Using lemon law is not a walk in the park. If dealer gets behind you to get you a new car then maybe avoid lemon, their incentive is selling another car. The manufacturer is not going to just roll over and let you walk away, it will be a long and acrimonious affair into arbitration, might need a lawyer!
Lemon law in MD requires manufacturer to pay your legal fees.
If only a tail lite, I could keep driving it...no issue. Flywheel...another matter.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-08-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It is a massive screw-up not to have a well-stocked parts warehouse strategically located on each continent with substantial Jaguar sales. A large, well-stocked, central US location should could make it possible for 99% of all parts to arrive at a JLR repair facility within 2 days of order in 48 out of 50 US states and most of Canada. That is the case at virtually every other manufacturer, and it is a big deal.

In the OP's case, there are mitigating circumstances, since there are probably fewer than 50 manual F-Types in the U.S, and they are all brand new. I'm sure it's a bit of a surprise that one already needs a new flywheel, clutch, and all related parts.

I'm completely understanding if one of my vehicles has a rare, major malfunction, but I'm completely intolerant of waiting more than a week for parts. I will not purchase another JLR product unless the parts availability issue gets taken care of.
Get used to it parts delays are a common issue with Jaguar. That I know for a fact first hand.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Get used to it parts delays are a common issue with Jaguar. That I know for a fact first hand.
Yes, that seems to be fairly well established now, and I realize you are in a good position to know. Fortunately, my car has been as close to perfect as anything I've owned so far, but if I should suffer some sort of misfortune, and I find myself waiting weeks for parts, this will absolutely be the last Jaguar I ever own.

If Jaguar wants to re-establish itself as a major player and compete with the big boys (e.g. Audi, BMW, and MB) with new models like the XE coming soon, they better rethink their parts supply chain process very quickly.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, that seems to be fairly well established now, and I realize you are in a good position to know. Fortunately, my car has been as close to perfect as anything I've owned so far, but if I should suffer some sort of misfortune, and I find myself waiting weeks for parts, this will absolutely be the last Jaguar I ever own.

If Jaguar wants to re-establish itself as a major player and compete with the big boys (e.g. Audi, BMW, and MB) with new models like the XE coming soon, they better rethink their parts supply chain process very quickly.
I agree with you 100%.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The AM would push me well above the $100k mark by the time it rolls out the door.
The Dodge and Vette...neither are classy and make anyone over the age of 40 look like they are compensating for something (or the lack thereof).
Evora...maybe, but availability?
Ah I didn't think about OTD, you can't get a little fuzzy with the math when clearing it with the SO?

What about an Alfa 4C? I saw one today driving through LA and it was pretty sharp looking. Should be well under budget and the sound is almost as good

Old 08-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by meefer
Ah I didn't think about OTD, you can't get a little fuzzy with the math when clearing it with the SO?

What about an Alfa 4C? I saw one today driving through LA and it was pretty sharp looking. Should be well under budget and the sound is almost as good
i guess you misread the part about being Manual Transmission only

Old 08-09-2015, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by meefer
I can and have, but that usually comes back to bite me in the butt. With the must haves, both the AM and Carrera come in at about $103-$106 pre-tax, pushing the envelope too much.(and just can't get excited about the Porsche)

Old 08-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

The manual transmission in a GT car is what's putting you at a disadvantage as most companies are shifting towards DSG's. If you don't mind the auto/paddle shifter, a Mercedes SL would probably fit.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

I think they are not selling enough cars and are cutting expenses by keeping less parts on hand, dealers carry nothing.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alabbasi
The manual transmission in a GT car is what's putting you at a disadvantage as most companies are shifting towards DSG's. If you don't mind the auto/paddle shifter, a Mercedes SL would probably fit.
I really like the looks of the SL (not the GT). But without a manual box requiring my constant attention, I get really bored with a car. I prefer driving my pickup and Land Cruiser to the XF loaner for that reason.

Quick Reply: V6S Alternative?