F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S best of all jaguar models, for fun?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE=swajames;1055661]magazine tests are a little unreliable as they sometimes apply "corrections" but the fastest tests I've seen for the V8S are 3.4 and 3.5. It's massively quicker than the ludicrously conservative "factory" time.

Then our R's have to be even faster.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Originally Posted by swajames
magazine tests are a little unreliable as they sometimes apply "corrections" but the fastest tests I've seen for the V8S are 3.4 and 3.5. It's massively quicker than the ludicrously conservative "factory" time.
Then our R's have to be even faster.
You'd be forgiven for thinking so, but no magazine test I've seen to date has proved it I'm sure it is a little quicker though.

Last edited by swajames; 09-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 PM

You'd be forgiven for thinking so.

But no magazine test I've seen to date has proved it
Read this brother. Better in just about every aspect.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Road Test Specs | Edmunds.com

Old 09-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Read this brother. Better in just about every aspect.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Road Test Specs | Edmunds.com
Some of us just prefer convertibles. Driving with the top down and the massively improved exhaust sound compared to what you hear in the coupe are worth a tenth or so. For the key metrics (0-60 and 1/4 mile etc), the only thing in that list that's faster than the vert tests is the slight improvement in the quarter mile, with the convertible having tested at 11.8, 11.9 etc. The V8S has reported quicker 0-60s than this coupe test, albeit other tests may indeed turn in better results for the coupe than Edmunds delivered.

Edit - here's a couple of V8S dragtimes for 11.8 or so

http://www.dragtimes.com/Jaguar-F-Ty...lip-26265.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Jaguar-F-Ty...lip-26265.html

Last edited by swajames; 09-11-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 PM

We're not talking only faster. You have to read the test driver ratings & comments.

**No matter what transmission mode (Drive or Sport) nor what electronic stability/traction control (ESC/TC) setting (On, ESC Trac, Off), I was unable to improve on the default Drive + ESC/Traction On run. It turns out that this car, while eminently capable of spinning tires off the line, doesn't respond well to it like most rear-wheel-driven cars do with moderation. Also, the way it leaves the line normally is the precise way I would have--had it not done it by itself/for itself. It's as if there's an optimal launch built into the car -- and there very well might be. Also, it feels as if the torque converter locks up immediately and there's no bog or delay at all. It just GOES. Just look at the telltale 0-30 time (under 2 seconds) for proof of that. Once under way, the power is immense and completely linear in a way I never would've imagined from a supercharged V8. Sure it's loud (might be too much for some), but there are no peaks or valleys in the power at all. Finally, it didn't seem to alter shift schedule among the various modes, likely because wide-open-throttle trumps these program variations that show up elsewhere (part throttle, off throttle, etc.). Simply quick and smooth shifts all the time. Good cooling for the engine, as terminal speed at the end of the quarter-mile remained within 0.09-1.5 mph of one another across six passes.
Braking comments Dead straight and very little dive, however, the ABS makes quite a racket, buzzing and vibrating as it brings the car to a halt. Excellent ability to handle the heat, as the variance was only 2 feet across four stops from 60 mph. Pedal remained firm and easy to modulate without any odor from the pads. Enthusiasts and nonenthusiasts will both like these brakes.
Handling comments Slalom: Unlike the F-Type convertible that felt like it loaded up then released at each cone, the coupe is far more stable and singular in its response: Direct, precise, and pointy. I did, however, de-select the artificially heavy steering and left all else in Dynamic mode. I also found this car was far more balanced between the cones than the convertible and after selecting the more lenient "Trac DSC" electronic stability program, I could slide the front tires or rear tires based on my throttle input/output. After finally coming to terms with the wider rear track, I learned to be decisive and even a little aggressive with both steering, and to a lesser extent, the throttle. Suddenly, I wasn't chasing the car but rather predicting and driving the car between the cones with confidence. And that's where the biggest difference is here between coupe and convertible: Confidence and predictability. Like the convertible, the coupe's steering still doesn't give much information, but its response is better. The rear still wants to step out, but in a far more tractable way that I could exploit rather than avoid. I'm sold. Coupe it is for the F-Type. Skid pad: Clearly, there's measurably more grip here than in the convertible. Also, the coupe is far better balanced with clearly defined limits at both ends of the car that I could manipulate at will with the throttle. Again, predictable and tractable with a skilled driver who knows how to sense and extract these things. **

Last edited by Dremorg; 09-11-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Not only faster. You have to read the test driver's comments.
I did - and I'd still have bought car I have.

You can't beat the noise on the V8 vert. Love the looks on the coupe, but love them on mine too.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM

I like the vert as well. They are both beautiful looking machines.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:14 PM

These aren't precision machines in either variety. It's not like the coupe is transformed into a delicate scalpel of a car that surgically cuts its way through apexes and the like, and it's not like the vert handles like a Lada.

They are essentially both one and the same. Fast, brutal sledgehammers that look good and sound incredible - maybe that bit more connected in the coupe, and just that bit louder in the vert with (or without) the toupee off. You pays your money and you takes your choice. Coupe wasn't out when I bought mine, but living here in the Bay Area I'd take the vert again if I bought one today.

Last edited by swajames; 09-11-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I love that I can fully use the gas pedal on my base V6. I always keep it in dynamic mode and sport mode, plus I have the stock resonator removed. With it removed, I think is may sound even more F1 like with more of a "chainsaw" like sound under hard accelerations. I am noticing that the back tires slip some when cornering hard though on the streets...I have 9,400 miles and the rubber is wearing a bit thin.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
I love that I can fully use the gas pedal on my base V6. I always keep it in dynamic mode and sport mode, plus I have the stock resonator removed. With it removed, I think is may sound even more F1 like with more of a "chainsaw" like sound under hard accelerations. I am noticing that the back tires slip some when cornering hard though on the streets...I have 9,400 miles and the rubber is wearing a bit thin.
Would you happen to have a video of your car with the resonator removed? I'd love to take a listen!

Old 09-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Would you happen to have a video of your car with the resonator removed? I'd love to take a listen!

I will try to take some videos this Sunday if I have a chance.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes the resonator removal sounds interesting.

So thanks to the helpful advice above I figured out that if you go from automatic to paddle shifting mode, you can get the V8 to make a lot more noise at low speeds.

Does anyone know the shift points on the V8S? I don't see any arrows or anything telling you when to shift and I'd like to get it right.

Last edited by lunagry; 09-11-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by lunagry
Yes the resonator removal sounds interesting.

So thanks to the helpful advice above I figured out that if you go from automatic to paddle shifting mode, you can get the V8 to make a lot more noise at low speeds.

Does anyone know the shift points on the V8S? I don't see any arrows or anything telling you when to shift and I'd like to get it right.
If you get close to redline in manual mode, the selected gear displayed in the middle of the instrument panel will turn solid white (and it might flash, I can't quite remember) as a warning/reminder to upshift.

As a general rule, though, the car keeps delivering power and torque pretty high in the available rev range. Be warned that in 1st you'll hit redline pretty rapidly

Old 09-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Review finds the V6S makes the V8 almost pointless Actually agree with him

2015 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe: So Good It Almost Makes The V8 Pointless

The following users liked this post:
DJS (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Saw a review yesterday that quoted a 4.4s 0-60 time for the V6S convertible, but don't recall where I saw it. Jag's rated 4.9s seems a bit ridiculous.

One reason I got the V6S was for the mechanical limited-slip diff.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
This sounds interesting (sorry). Details?

The F-type must have been a bit of a shock after the H2...

Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebird
Review finds the V6S makes the V8 almost pointless Actually agree with him

2015 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe: So Good It Almost Makes The V8 Pointless

That's a good read, whether or not you agree with his premise.

The following users liked this post:
bluebird (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just test drove the v6s convertible

1. Maybe I'm spoiled by fast cars, but this car seemed too slow to me. It was disappointing esp after reading the Jalopnik article. I don't know if it was the throttle response, but it seemed slow for 380 hp. (Maybe I only drive stick and I am used to driving manual and not automatics).

2. The exhaust was not as loud as I expected after hearing youtube videos. The test car they let me drive was in dynamic and I was driving in S mode, but did not have active exhaust option which I really wanted to hear. I like the gurgle when I let off the gas, but wish it was louder and lower in tone. It would be interesting to hear aftermarket exhaust on this car.

3. I did not like the UI for the nav/climate/stereo. It looks like 1990!

4. The salesman told me if I did ANY modifications to the car -- I asked what would happen if I lowered the car -- he said the ENTIRE warranty was void. WTH?? I don't think he knows his stuff.

I told salesman to let me know when coupe v8 is in. I don't think I can buy the v6. I have to have at least the v8 and I hope it feels more powerful and closer to what I envisioned.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I think the V6S is a great car, but whether that is enough really depends on what you are coming from in my opinion. I also found it slower (relatively speaking) compared to what I'm driving now. I like power and despite others stating you can't use it on the street, I find plenty of times to open up even in a city like LA.

I have a 5 cylinder now so I'm used to a unique exhaust note. The V6 just doesn't do as much to me as the V8 does.

I used to be really concerned about getting a good nav/infotainment unit but with smart phones, I no longer care. Car navs will always be outdated before they even hit the market. To me they are just a backup if I don't have service.

And no, they can not flat out void your warranty if you do modifications, at least in the US. The dealer/manufacture must prove that your mods are the direct cause for whatever repair needs to be done. Only then can it be voided.

I'm glad the V6S is fun in its own right, but I'll take the V8 R every single time.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought all V6S cars had the active exhaust. You might have been driving a base model V6. Did it have an "S" badge?

The navigation etc. module seems OK to me. Of course I never use the navigation because my phone's navigation works better but it's there. Are you comparing it to cars like the Tesla S that basically put an IPAD and internet browser there?

Last edited by lunagry; 09-12-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: V6S best of all jaguar models, for fun?