F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S best of all jaguar models, for fun?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I think the V6S is a great car, but whether that is enough really depends on what you are coming from in my opinion. I also found it slower (relatively speaking) compared to what I'm driving now. I like power and despite others stating you can't use it on the street, I find plenty of times to open up even in a city like LA.

I have a 5 cylinder now so I'm used to a unique exhaust note. The V6 just doesn't do as much to me as the V8 does.

I used to be really concerned about getting a good nav/infotainment unit but with smart phones, I no longer care. Car navs will always be outdated before they even hit the market. To me they are just a backup if I don't have service.

And no, they can not flat out void your warranty if you do modifications, at least in the US. The dealer/manufacture must prove that your mods are the direct cause for whatever repair needs to be done. Only then can it be voided.

I'm glad the V6S is fun in its own right, but I'll take the V8 R every single time.
You hit the nail right on the head...it all depends on what you are coming from. I'm coming from an AMG with 520 hp. that had a great exhaust note. It's hard to downgrade in power or sound. I guess the V6 feels fast if you aren't already used to some type of real power.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by fliegenfischen
I just test drove the v6s convertible

1. Maybe I'm spoiled by fast cars, but this car seemed too slow to me. It was disappointing esp after reading the Jalopnik article. I don't know if it was the throttle response, but it seemed slow for 380 hp. (Maybe I only drive stick and I am used to driving manual and not automatics).

2. The exhaust was not as loud as I expected after hearing youtube videos. The test car they let me drive was in dynamic and I was driving in S mode, but did not have active exhaust option which I really wanted to hear. I like the gurgle when I let off the gas, but wish it was louder and lower in tone. It would be interesting to hear aftermarket exhaust on this car.

3. I did not like the UI for the nav/climate/stereo. It looks like 1990!

4. The salesman told me if I did ANY modifications to the car -- I asked what would happen if I lowered the car -- he said the ENTIRE warranty was void. WTH?? I don't think he knows his stuff.

I told salesman to let me know when coupe v8 is in. I don't think I can buy the v6. I have to have at least the v8 and I hope it feels more powerful and closer to what I envisioned.
I drove both the V6 and the R.. and the R is way faster and dynamic to drive. Its not a pure track car and that was not what I was after, yet it's one of the best looking cars on the planet and really fast/agile for its type.
Lawrence

Old 09-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I get the comment about smart phone -- I just ordered the iPhone 6 -- but this is 2014/15 and there's no reason a 90k car should have such a crappy UI.

I come from Audi and even my older 09 Audi has a UI that is more advanced than this. The UI in the new cars are amazing.

I'm still gonna test drive the v8. I want this car for looks and hopefully power. But I think I've been cooled in my desire to buy this car. I'll just wait and buy it CPO for the v8 R coupe version.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fliegenfischen
Yeah I get the comment about smart phone -- I just ordered the iPhone 6 -- but this is 2014/15 and there's no reason a 90k car should have such a crappy UI.

I come from Audi and even my older 09 Audi has a UI that is more advanced than this. The UI in the new cars are amazing.

Yes the UI certainly looks a bit outdated compared to some competitors, has anyone tried the InControl Apps yet ?

In Control Apps

Looks like its quite new, didn't even rate a mention in my 206 page F-Type manual!

Old 09-13-2014, 01:38 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Avatar_Will
Yes the UI certainly looks a bit outdated compared to some competitors, has anyone tried the InControl Apps yet ? In Control Apps Looks like its quite new, didn't even rate a mention in my 206 page F-Type manual!
It sucks. There are a few threads here where myself and others have posted the shortcomings of InControl

Old 09-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a V8 S. I did test drive the V6 S and I LOVE the V8 S much, much more.

I know what Clarkson said. He is right for him and I am right for me. It's all subjective. Dive both and then decide what tickles your fancy.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
It sucks. There are a few threads here where myself and others have posted the shortcomings of InControl
Out of curiosity, what useful features do these other UI have that the F Type's doesn't have?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
Out of curiosity, what useful features do these other UI have that the F Type's doesn't have?
The one think I miss from the BMW UI is how you can have the split screen and listen to the radio or whatever on the left while still having nav directions on the right.

I also liked how I was able to display the range until I run out of gas on the bmw which the f type doesn't seem to have unless i missed it.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:48 PM

are you asking about InControl or about the center entertainment unit in general? Those are two completely different topics...

Old 09-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The f type lets you see range til you run out of gas. Press the trip computer button on the turn signal lever.

Ever since I got spotify 320kbps streamng and its access to thousands of great playlists I don't listen to radio anymore. The only thing I need the f type ui to do is to play what's playing on my phone and let me control ( skip tracks )on my phone without having to touch the phone, which the f type lets me do. I guess having spotify right on the f type ui would be good but not necessary.

Im not sure if my v8s has this in control thing though since I haven't seen it

Last edited by lunagry; 09-13-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Im not sure if my v8s has this in control thing though since I haven't seen it
If you had InControl, you would have 2 USB ports in the center storage bin instead of one and on screen, under the "Extra Features" section, you would have an icon for InControl.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if between the V6, V6S, and V8S, the V6S might be the best of all. I had the V6 base model, but after some thought I returned it and got the V8S because I'll have this car a while and so it might as well be the highest end of the three models.
The V8 is the best & fun drive.

I have Magnaflow mufflers courtesy of the previous owner. Best performance is to select Dynamic and Sports mode. I am not looking to be silent or stealth that is for Tesla. When you are dead your dead silent !

Aye, consider a V6 and you may live... at least a while. And dying in your bed, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and drive that V8 and live loud and large.

Drive safely and obey all traffic signs !