F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S Coupe arrived at last - and USB question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default V6S Coupe arrived at last - and USB question

After four months wait (about par for the course it would appear) I took delivery of my 2017 V6S Coupe in BRG yesterday. More than happy. However it hasn't stopped pouring with rain since I picked it up from the dealer (after it had been ceramic coated) so I have only driven it home (about 10 miles) at nana pace so far. A morning tinkering with the settings awaits, methinks.

Being a 2017 model it has the latest iteration of JLR's infotainment system - well at least I hope it has. The screen is the one with the old fashioned UK telephone box as the phone icon. Is this just a screen update or is there a major software change behind it? If so are there any updated hints on the best way to run music from a USB drive? Can we now put playlists on a USB drive for instance?

Old 08-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Congratulations on the new Jag!! You will love it.

I think both the last and las test versions have the old fashioned Telephone Box icons? Both my 2016 JLR Vehicles have it.

Anyway, music on a USB is an interesting subject, it seems one needs to be an expert in File Formats and Bit rates etc to make it work. However, InControl is nice, although others don't agree. It has a nice Format with Album Covers etc, and different Album/Artist/Song Tabs.

I just play music the fast and easy way, download from iTunes onto my iPhone, plug it in and open InControl. Sorry, I'm not much help am I !!

Old 08-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
However, InControl is nice, ...!
+1. Why muck about with a thumb drive when you can just open up the hundreds (or thousands) of tunes off your phone indexed by artist, song or album?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Why muck about with a thumb drive when you can just open up the hundreds (or thousands) of tunes off your phone indexed by artist, song or album?
Rock on Unhingd!!

There is another nice App available now, which is great and called something like my music radio or something. So what it does is let you choose almost any Radio Station from any city in the world, so, for instance, when you're driving a car like an F-Type, which is made in. Birmingham, you can tune into the local Birmingham radio station for a more realistic experience. Just don't get reeled in with the weather forecast or time announcements haha!

Old 08-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rock on Unhingd!!

There is another nice App available now, which is great and called something like my music radio or something. So what it does is let you choose almost any Radio Station from any city in the world, so, for instance, when you're driving a car like an F-Type, which is made in. Birmingham, you can tune into the local Birmingham radio station for a more realistic experience. Just don't get reeled in with the weather forecast or time announcements haha!
The IHeartRadio App will do that.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I convert all of my music files to MP3 using a program called Audacity and they work fine on the USB (but this is for a 2012 XF). Might work for you.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The IHeartRadio App will do that.
Yes it does, but i don't think it's one of the InControl Apps?

Old 08-26-2016, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obald
After four months wait (about par for the course it would appear) I took delivery of my 2017 V6S Coupe in BRG yesterday. More than happy. However it hasn't stopped pouring with rain since I picked it up from the dealer (after it had been ceramic coated) so I have only driven it home (about 10 miles) at nana pace so far. A morning tinkering with the settings awaits, methinks.

Being a 2017 model it has the latest iteration of JLR's infotainment system - well at least I hope it has. The screen is the one with the old fashioned UK telephone box as the phone icon. Is this just a screen update or is there a major software change behind it? If so are there any updated hints on the best way to run music from a USB drive? Can we now put playlists on a USB drive for instance?
Hello,
A playlist is a function of whatever music software you use (for instance iTunes). Since you are just using the USB as a storage device, playlists cant be made as such.
What you could do, is make folders and put specific songs in them. You can navigate to the folder structure from your touchscreen. The only down side is you may have duplicate songs in different folders, hence taking up space.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it does, but i don't think it's one of the InControl Apps?
No it doesn't play through the InControl App, but it does play through the bluetooth.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The 2017 F-Type does not have the latest infotainment system. What you are seeing is a spiffed up veneer over the top of the old one.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tai4de2
The 2017 F-Type does not have the latest infotainment system. What you are seeing is a spiffed up veneer over the top of the old one.
Ah, that's the information I was looking for. No big deal; I didn't buy the car specifically to listen music in. Bluetooth streaming from the iPhone works better than I thought it would and that will do just fine.

Had the car for four days now (and it's stopped raining) and the driving of it is every bit as good as I had hoped - and then some. Love it.