F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

ss23 that's awesome. If i'm reading it correctly you made about 450hp at the wheels and 400hp to the wheels with just a tune and cats? I have the VAP cats and tune but no smaller pulley's yet. I wish someone would come out with some headers.

As far as improving the cooling i'm clueless but hopefully some of the other guys can give you so ideas.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Power fade due to protection maps at high temps is normal and healthy. Heat soak is a major problem with these cars.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by ss23

Dyno results of my car with the Eurotoys upper and lower pulleys, VAP sports cats and VAP tune.

Unfortunately, the car dynoed a bit lower than we were expecting (reached 400 hp using the stock pulleys with a stage 1 tune although that was dynoed in around 28C ambient temperature). This could be attributed to the fact that I live in the UAE (ambient temperatures on the day were 45C!) and perhaps inadequate wind simulation in the dyno shop.

Butt dyno definitely feels the power but it feels like the car is pulling timing after a couple of 5k+ RPM runs. Thought it was because of the stock cats before but the problem continues with the sports cats so I'm guessing it's heat related. I found this page earlier doing some research (https://www.paramount-performance.co...V6-Tuning.html), which shows that Paramount have an upgraded Intercooler as part of their 480hp package for the V6, although there are no specifics about the Intercooler itself.

Anyone have any ideas how to improve the cooling of the car (barring methanol injection, which I am also considering)? Especially considering I'm living in the middle of the desert?
45 deg C would definitely drop the output. You should see about 40hp more in the 25-28 deg range. Did you ever do a baseline dyno run before any mods? That could help pinpoint a dyno calibration issue.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-30-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cbroth1
Power fade due to protection maps at high temps is normal and healthy. Heat soak is a major problem with these cars.
I believe you got methanol injection installed on your V8 right? How did the car react to methanol injection? I'm looking to install it but want to make sure there's nothing else inhibiting the car from achieving all its power during peak summers over here.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
45 deg C would definitely drop the output. You should see about 40hp more in the 25-28 deg range. Did you ever do a baseline dyno run before any mods? That could help pinpoint a dyno calibration issue.
Unfortunately the shop's "dyno guy" wasn't there prior to installation of the pulleys so I could not measure power outputs before. However, when the car was measured during January (ambient temperatures of around 25C), the car dynoed around 333 hp at the crank, so I doubt dyno calibration is a big problem. Think the heat is definitely the issue as you mentioned, just looking at ways to cool intake temperatures and cure my heat soak issues.

Originally Posted by strippersteel
ss23 that's awesome. If i'm reading it correctly you made about 450hp at the wheels and 400hp to the wheels with just a tune and cats? I have the VAP cats and tune but no smaller pulley's yet. I wish someone would come out with some headers.

As far as improving the cooling i'm clueless but hopefully some of the other guys can give you so ideas.
Haha, I wish. 400 hp was at the crank (323 at the wheels during 27C ambient temperatures) with a stage 1 tune (from my local tuner) and 420 hp was at the crank (335 at the wheels during 41C ambient temperatures) with upper and lower pulleys, as well as a stage 2+ tune from VAP.

Last edited by ss23; 08-31-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting more ambitious on the mods:
So, what is this engine from, exactly? At first, I thought it was from a Viper, but then I noticed that it's only 60 degrees...

Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
So, what is this engine from, exactly? At first, I thought it was from a Viper, but then I noticed that it's only 60 degrees...
I believe it's a large marine engine.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:08 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I think this is what Lance is striving for.

He'll need to find somewhere for the extra 39 liters of displacement to fit. Handling may be compromised.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I think this is what Lance is striving for.
The Amazing Packard Bentley Special " Mavis " Car. 42ltr 1500hp V12. - YouTube

He'll need to find somewhere for the extra 39 liters of displacement to fit. Handling may be compromised.
I need more cowbell!

The following users liked this post:
SinF (08-31-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Default Paramount Intercooler

Here is the response to my enquiry regarding the intercooler:

"Hi Lance
Yes picture attached for you, its 30% larger than stock, and looks lovely
Price is £995, which is around $1295usd + £65 shipping, no UK tax to pay
We have stock ready to ship "

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-01-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

I am wondering why Mavis has 24 exhaust tubes.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-01-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:12 AM

Hey Unhingd Paul with Paramount also responded to my inquiry yesterday on there intercooler. He sent me a really quick, detailed response. Here's what he said.

The charge cooler is a really lovely item, the quality of the workmanship is stunning, but if you want more power the next logical step would probably be a smaller upper pulley, or a much larger lower pulley, its when you fit the lower pulley you really must have the charge cooler, the cooler works fine on its own and will deliver around 8bhp, the upper pulley will deliver twice this though for half the money.

The other time the cooler is a real bonus is in hot and humid conditions, here the power gains can be quite a lot higher.

We have options, if you really want power though I have ask who did your map, there are tuning maps and there are our tuning maps, if you really want max power our map, lower and upper pulley and charger cooler will boost power by 95bhp. Take off and pick up power is dramic, its not subtle.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Unhingd Paul with Paramount also responded to my inquiry yesterday on there intercooler. He sent me a really quick, detailed response. Here's what he said.

The charge cooler is a really lovely item, the quality of the workmanship is stunning, but if you want more power the next logical step would probably be a smaller upper pulley, or a much larger lower pulley, its when you fit the lower pulley you really must have the charge cooler, the cooler works fine on its own and will deliver around 8bhp, the upper pulley will deliver twice this though for half the money.

The other time the cooler is a real bonus is in hot and humid conditions, here the power gains can be quite a lot higher.

We have options, if you really want power though I have ask who did your map, there are tuning maps and there are our tuning maps, if you really want max power our map, lower and upper pulley and charger cooler will boost power by 95bhp. Take off and pick up power is dramic, its not subtle.
1. Already have both the upper and lower pulleys and a VAP tune netting an additional 73bhp. (yes...a dramatic improvement)
2. Next steps: tuned headers, intercooler (maybe), downpipes/sport cats (maybe)

Was the 95bhp cited by Paul an improvement on the V6S or the V6 base?

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-01-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

1. Already have both the upper and lower pulleys and a VAP tune netting an additional 73bhp. (yes...a dramatic improvement)
2. Next steps: tuned headers, intercooler (maybe), downpipes/sport cats (maybe)
What about the radiator for the intercooler? Do you think that may be a less expensive place to lower intake temperatures?

Old 09-01-2016, 10:28 AM

Unhingd Paul didn't say. The main thing i'm waiting on right now is headers. Stuart with Velocity AP said he should start production on them by the end of the year. After headers and a lower pulley change I might give this intercooler a shot.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
What about the radiator for the intercooler? Do you think that may be a less expensive place to lower intake temperatures?
The radiator for the intercooler is really what we are already talking about.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Unhingd Paul didn't say. The main thing i'm waiting on right now is headers. Stuart with Velocity AP said he should start production on them by the end of the year. After headers and a lower pulley change I might give this intercooler a shot.
The headers are next in line on my punch list as well. I will contemplate life at that point to determine next steps. You might as well do the lower pulley now. It's an easy installation and will have a massive impact with VAP's tune.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:53 AM

Unhingd looks like thats what i'm going to go ahead and get. I'll probably go with Eurotoys 18mm lower. I'm assuming i'll need another tune from VAP since i'm doing a pulley change right? Maybe I need to shoot VAP an email and check to be sure.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Unhingd looks like thats what i'm going to go ahead and get. I'll probably go with Eurotoys 18mm lower. I'm assuming i'll need another tune from VAP since i'm doing a pulley change right? Maybe I need to shoot VAP an email and check to be sure.
Yes, Eurotoys is where I got my pulley. You will need to get an updated tune from VAP since the additional boost may throw an "unexpected boost pressure" code and they know how to resolve it. (P0236).

Old 09-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

We also have a tune for these as well, here is our Power Package for these;

ETS Stage 2 Power Package Jaguar Supercharged 3.0L (VSwitch), Eurotoys Ltd.

The package includes K&N air filters, if those are not wanted we can subtract them from the kit.

Mike

schraderade (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the info Unhingd and thats what I figured. And thank you Mike @Eurotoys. I'll probably be contacting you all soon to purchase the lower pulley.

Eurotoys (09-01-2016)

Quick Reply: V6S Tune