F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017 | 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by diplomat
Hello @Stuart@VelocityAP,

I am thinking about buying from you a crank pulley + tune during this winter.
I am taking my car many times per year to a racing ring. Just for fun...but I always drive as fast as I can. :-)

My question on you is reliability after your tune and crank pulley. I don't see a big problem on a normal road, but what on a track under full load for 5 x 20 minutes? Is there something I need to be careful about?

Thank you for you comments.
The main thing you'll need to watch, and this is not so much a reliability issue as power output, is the catalyst temperatures. We don't edit any of the primary or secondary enrichment tables which add fuel when catalyst temperatures get too high, and we find these cars will start to do this fairly quickly. Fortunately the V6 is not as bad as the V8 (they both use the same cat sections) but adding 200 cell sport cats will keep cat temperatures significantly lower.

We've had a few people doing some track days with this setup, and so far haven't had any reliability issues reported. Remove the plastic engine cover for better cooling, and Definitely check our oil level before you go, consumption is an issue on these engines.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 08-15-2017 | 01:12 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caviarjag
Makes sense then. What is this cat issue that you have been mentioning? I have modified many cars and added forced injection in the past, but never run into an issue with the stock cats.
Any cat will melt down if it gets too hot. The Jag ECU appears to be quite protective, and will compensate quickly to avoid a meltdown. The issue is quite apparent after multiple dyno runs (peak power drops), though less discernable in a real world setting unless you are on a racetrack or tooling around in the Emirates or some other sand pit (Death Valley, Mojave, etc.)

Old 08-15-2017 | 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Any cat will melt down if it gets too hot. The Jag ECU appears to be quite protective, and will compensate quickly to avoid a meltdown. The issue is quite apparent after multiple dyno runs (peak power drops), though less discernable in a real world setting unless you are on a racetrack or tooling around in the Emirates or some other sand pit (Death Valley, Mojave, etc.)
This is true, with the important point being that a 200 cell motorsport cat seems to retain far less heat (probably due to the lack of restriction) than a 600 + 400 cell ceramic cored compound brick, so in practical terms it allows optimal fuel strategy to be run a larger percentage of the time.

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-15-2017 | 01:28 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
This is true, with the important point being that a 200 cell motorsport cat seems to retain far less heat (probably due to the lack of restriction) than a 600 + 400 cell ceramic cored compound brick, so in practical terms it allows optimal fuel strategy to be run a larger percentage of the time.
Good sales point, Stuart.

Old 08-15-2017 | 02:06 PM

Good sales point, Stuart.
Coffee is for closers Lance.

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-15-2017 | 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Eurotoys
We rate the tune by itself as roughly 410bhp, with pulley roughly 440-450bhp. Not many of our customers want to dyno test, it has always been that way for us and I have been doing this since 2002ish. I would rather have many dyno sheets to show, but for these cars most people do not.

No charge for the lower pulley file if you already have our tune as long as it is done in a timely manner. Meaning within 1 year should be sufficient.

If someone is willing to do our Tune/Pulley Power package, I am willing to pay for the dyno time as long as it is done right. For anyone interested just PM me for details.

Mike

Mike
I would take you up on your offer as I am about to dyno the car again, but I already have the VAP tune installed.

I plan to follow Unhingd's set up and get your lower pulley kit. PM me when you get the chance.

Old 08-15-2017 | 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I would take you up on your offer as I am about to dyno the car again, but I already have the VAP tune installed.

I plan to follow Unhingd's set up and get your lower pulley kit. PM me when you get the chance.

That offer was if you used our pulley with our tuning, not a competitors tuning. That information does not help us at all. I hope you understand.

Mike

Old 08-15-2017 | 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Eurotoys
That offer was if you used our pulley with our tuning, not a competitors tuning. That information does not help us at all. I hope you understand.

Mike
I completely understand. Looking forward to installing your crank pulley. I even got a nice 10% discount just for hanging out in the forum

Quick question for Mr. Unhingd....I am following your set up very closely and am wondering, did you upgrade to the intercooler radiator from Eurotoys? If not, have you expereinced any heat related issues?

Next, I will be looking at either the 200 Cell Cats from VAP (assuming they will fit) or the intercooler upgrade from Eurotoys.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 08-15-2017 at 05:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eurotoys (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017 | 07:37 PM
|
Veteran Member

I completely understand. Looking forward to installing your crank pulley. I even got a nice 10% discount just for hanging out in the forum

Quick question for Mr. Unhingd....I am following your set up very closely and am wondering, did you upgrade to the intercooler radiator from Eurotoys? If not, have you expereinced any heat related issues?

Next, I will be looking at either the 200 Cell Cats from VAP (assuming they will fit) or the intercooler upgrade from Eurotoys.
The 200 cell cats are just a bit too brazen for me (noise wise) and I have not yet installed the larger intercooler coil. I have done a substantial amount of work on the dyno and do noticed peak power get dialed back after a series of consecutive runs. Mind you, we don't have nearly the airflow on a dyno that we would have at 100+ on the open roads. On warm days, I do sense a power loss at higher rpm when the throttle is being abused. I probably will install the Eurotoys intercooler at some point and take some before/after IAT & hp measurements on the dyno to see if we actually gain anything.

Old 08-17-2017 | 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Can someone help me out with figuring which one is the idler pulley that I am supposed to replace? I am attaching a pic. Orange or Green?

Old 08-17-2017 | 05:48 PM

Orange

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Cherry_560sel (08-17-2017)
Old 08-25-2017 | 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

So the crank pulley is installed. Thanks to Stohlen for the awesome write up. Followed it step-by-step, minus the loctite cleaning (there was not much on there). I ran the car a bit today, but I a m a little leary about opening it up for extended periods because I could not get the bolts to tighten to the specs (46 ft/lbs). The crank just turned. Short of hydro- locking or sticking he end of a ratchet into a park plug opening, is there a way to lock the crank so I can get a good reading with a torque wrench?

Old 08-25-2017 | 03:37 AM
|
Veteran Member

So the crank pulley is installed. Thanks to Stohlen for the awesome write up. Followed it step-by-step, minus the loctite cleaning (there was not much on there). I ran the car a bit today, but I a m a little leary about opening it up for extended periods because I could not get the bolts to tighten to the specs (46 ft/lbs). The crank just turned. Short of hydro- locking or sticking he end of a ratchet into a park plug opening, is there a way to lock the crank so I can get a good reading with a torque wrench?
All I had to do is put mine in gear. Putting the car in P doesn't immobilize the front end of the drivetrain? (Never worked on an AT car)

Old 08-25-2017 | 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

nope. ECU automatically puts car in park, even when you leave it in gear.

Old 08-25-2017 | 12:33 PM
|
Veteran Member

nope. ECU automatically puts car in park, even when you leave it in gear.
Mine's an MT. Leaving it in gear with the e-brake engaged locks down the engine.

Old 08-26-2017 | 12:05 PM

It just occurred to me that my tuned V6 now has virtually the same hp, torque and weight as the M4. It would be nice to find out if the 0-60 is similar.
Did you ever find out?

Old 08-26-2017 | 04:20 PM
|
Veteran Member

Unfortunately not. The day I scheduled to participate at a Wannagofast 1/2 mile event in Virginia, it was raining cats & dogs. I'll eventually hit a local 1/4 mile strip to find out.

Old 08-26-2017 | 09:08 PM

Unfortunately not. The day I scheduled to participate at a Wannagofast 1/2 mile event in Virginia, it was raining cats & dogs. I'll eventually hit a local 1/4 mile strip to find out.
Damn thats too bad, have you ran against any other sports cars on the street? I have a base and yet to install pulley and Tune, trying to work out how quick it will be! thanks

Old 08-27-2017 | 02:46 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by v6madness
Damn thats too bad, have you ran against any other sports cars on the street?
Only with my '76 Land Cruiser. I get a kick out of humiliating M5s.

Old 08-27-2017 | 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Only with my '76 Land Cruiser. I get a kick out of humiliating M5s.

Quick Reply: V6S Tune