F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016 | 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Out of consideration for the cost of dyno time and the fact we were seeing diminishing returns on the tuning tweaks, I decided to stick with the tune from Monday night. On that tune we also confirmed the accurate A/F ratios by inserting a threaded probe into one of the threaded bungs on the tailpipe. They all stayed nicely within the 11-12 range.

I am certain, with adequate dyno time that VMax could have wrung additional performance out of the engine, but with the clutch issue, there is limited value at this time. After completing a few other projects (clutch, short-shifter, etc.), I may take another crack at tuning with L.T. headers and an overdrive pulley.
VMAX,

Make sure you save that Monday night file for the V6.

Old 01-13-2016 | 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Foosh
VMAX,

Make sure you save that Monday night file for the V6.

Done and done.

Old 01-21-2016 | 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

The sale on V6 and V6S tuning continues at $1000 for ECU remapping (via OBD slave or send in benchflashing) and $150 for the 60.5mm upper SC pulley + shipping.

Thank You
VMax

Old 01-23-2016 | 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

A quick update: We'll soon (in the next 2-3 weeks) have results from a bench flashed 2017 AWD V6S stock vs ECU tune only. We'll also be able to confirm if our theory of non-detectability via SDD tool is correct when we bench flash the ECU vs OBD remap it.

Thank you

Old 01-23-2016 | 02:22 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VMaxTuning
We'll also be able to confirm if our theory of non-detectability via SDD tool is correct when we bench flash the ECU vs OBD remap it.
I don't quite understand the theory behind non-detectability. Unless you are able to hide the tune in a totally separate memory sector that is encrypted, the factory could simply run a "file compare" between their tune and what they pull off a tuned ECU. How do you plan to hide the tune?

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (02-16-2016)
Old 01-23-2016 | 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't quite understand the theory behind non-detectability. Unless you are able to hide the tune in a totally separate memory sector that is encrypted, the factory could simply run a "file compare" between their tune and what they pull off a tuned ECU. How do you plan to hide the tune?
Email sent Sir!

Thanks
Bill

The following 2 users liked this post by VMaxTuning:
Uncle Fishbits (02-16-2016), Unhingd (01-23-2016)
Old 01-25-2016 | 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

This thread is outstanding. Thanks to all involved. Cheers. I still cannot begin to comprehend all of this, but thank you so much.

I still think of "tuning" an engine as "two guys in overalls drinking moonshine and holding wrenches". Probably been a few years since that.....

VMaxTuning (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016 | 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
This thread is outstanding. Thanks to all involved. Cheers. I still cannot begin to comprehend all of this, but thank you so much.

I still think of "tuning" an engine as "two guys in overalls drinking moonshine and holding wrenches". Probably been a few years since that.....
We still drink moonshine, the wrenches we mainly throw at each other.

You are correct the days of tuning via a screwdriver (the kind without orange juice) are over but that doesn't mean we don't miss them.

Seeing that bowl of fire over the carb after nailing a WOT "tune" is a sorely missed memory for some of us here.

Thank You
VMax

Uncle Fishbits (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016 | 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VMaxTuning
We still drink moonshine, the wrenches we mainly throw at each other.

You are correct the days of tuning via a screwdriver (the kind without orange juice) are over but that doesn't mean we don't miss them.
Speaking of missing them, you best be good at dodging the wrench...

Old 01-25-2016 | 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Speaking of missing them, you best be good at dodging the wrench...
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!! - YouTube

Love that movie.

"Dodge, dip, dive, duck, and dodge!"

Old 01-25-2016 | 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Default For The Record...

I sent VMAX/Bill an e-mail last night essentially asking, "what's this whole tune about?" and almost immediately received a comprehensive (as in detailed) answer. It's probably not for me but I certainly did appreciate the timeliness and attentiveness shown to me. Very professional...

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-25-2016 at 03:53 PM.
VMaxTuning (01-26-2016)
Old 02-06-2016 | 08:45 PM
|
Veteran Member

It just occurred to me that my tuned V6 now has virtually the same hp, torque and weight as the M4. It would be nice to find out if the 0-60 is similar.

Old 02-14-2016 | 12:29 AM

I didn't realise before that only the V8's have a x-pipe with straight pipes from the factory, and the V6's have a resonator instead of the crossover.

So I guess you might pick up a few more horses by working on the exhaust center section. Actually I wonder if the V8 center section will bolt straight in...

V6S Tune-cf11900b.png

V6S Tune-cf11901.png

Old 02-14-2016 | 05:32 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
I didn't realise before that only the V8's have a x-pipe with straight pipes from the factory, and the V6's have a resonator instead of the crossover.

So I guess you might pick up a few more horses by working on the exhaust center section. Actually I wonder if the V8 center section will bolt straight in...

Attachment 125481

Attachment 125482
It certainly would be louder and might add x amount of hp, but I would be concerned that it might destroy the symphonic sound coming from the V6. Because of the massive force of the lower frequencies coming from the V8, the unruliness of the resonator-less sound is appealing. From the higher frequency V6 sound, that type of unruliness might just result in annoying and cacophonous sound. If anyone tries this, please report back. I suppose we should hear shortly regarding the results of installing the 100/200 cell-cat and crossover pipe from VelocityAP.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-14-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2016 | 02:52 PM

It certainly would be louder and might add x amount of hp, but I would be concerned that it might destroy the symphonic sound coming from the V6. Because of the massive force of the lower frequencies coming from the V8, the unruliness of the resonator-less sound is appealing. From the higher frequency V6 sound, that type of unruliness might just result in annoying and cacophonous sound. If anyone tries this, please report back. I suppose we should hear shortly regarding the results of installing the 100/200 cell-cat and crossover pipe from VelocityAP.
I had my resonator deleted back in April of 2014 and the car did not change at all in terms of the type of sound all that much, besides maybe becoming a bit more raspy. It was a bit louder as well. Last spring I added the Quicksilver exhaust and x-pipe...the car became much louder and the crackles became much more pronounced.
I am bring the car in to have the 200 cell sport cats installed on Tues (despite recent crap weather in Chicago). I am still deciding if I should have my car tuned locally while it can be on a dyno, or go with aforementioned tuners on this forum.

Old 02-14-2016 | 02:55 PM

Once the cats and tune are through, I would be really curious to see how the sound of my car would stack up against other F-type variants.

Old 02-14-2016 | 05:01 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
I am still deciding if I should have my car tuned locally while it can be on a dyno, or go with aforementioned tuners on this forum.
Unless your local tuner has extensive experience with the XKR or XJR, they will have no idea which files to enter to tweak the appropriate torque management nannies. My local tuner is widely renowned for his BMW (and MINI) and Porsche tuning, but was relatively ineffective with my V6S. From across the country, VMax was able to dial in with the data generated on the local dyno with the cooperation of my local performance shop.

Old 02-15-2016 | 07:32 AM

Unless your local tuner has extensive experience with the XKR or XJR, they will have no idea which files to enter to tweak the appropriate torque management nannies. My local tuner is widely renowned for his BMW (and MINI) and Porsche tuning, but was relatively ineffective with my V6S. From across the country, VMax was able to dial in with the data generated on the local dyno with the cooperation of my local performance shop.
I've been looking at Ftype 3.0 and 5.0 indepth..along both platforms of awd for 5.0 and obviously now both platforms for 3.0..I've done reads on them all. I've just finished comparing the base 3.0 to the S, if you look carefully you can ses the increases the factory made to get the boost in power for the S model.

Now I'm looking into the 5.0, same thing..even for the Project 7 which I now have a read to compare with...factory did the same increases to get Project 7 increase as they did for the 3.0 S version. There is still power on the table as vmax has found.

I know few pages back a lot have been debuting the difference if 3.0 to 5.0 S/C'rs..there 100% different..not even interchangeable..even the front snout is different in length. The 3.0L is shorter also in over all length. The 3.0L supercharger doesn't travel to the back of the block like the 5.0L version does.

On the older denso powertrain 5.0L, the charge bypass was vacuum controlled by a solenoid, the newer chargers(started with 3.0L, have a electric motor to control the bypass, the same bypass migrated to 5.0 when Bosch was adopted.

I have access to a test car, just not for tuning..so I'm presently researching to see if I can command more charge pressure and if the bypass will react as commanded.

I've seen the older units from the 4.2L, completely different style charger and bypass, that bypass worked with throttle control and was not in the charge valley, built into the charger like the 5.0 and 3.0 now have.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
Uncle Fishbits (02-16-2016), Unhingd (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016 | 08:32 AM

Unhingd and doctordeuce thanks for the info on the V6 resonator. I didn't know it even had one. I might have mine cut out and replace with an x-pipe. If I do i'll report back the results

Old 02-16-2016 | 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Identical question, here. I have a feeling it's as simple as a dealer caring or not caring. If they care, they will compare. If they don't, they won't. Most will likely not compare until something goes wrong and they are trying to get out of the repair/covered stuff.

Anyway, you sent me a great PM about concerns of warranty.... Thanks.

Any sort of concern about voiding warranty aside, base '16 MT here... is it better to wait and have it all sorted with a final "this is what we can get out of the engine" tune?

IE I assume it will be more cost effective for you to work with Unhingd until you get it exactly where you want it, *THEN* roll it out to all the other cars?

I am sort of wondering if my neighbor who is my JLR dealer would be interested in this. He also has a McLaren and some other super cars, etc. I assume this is naive. =p

Also... is there a tutorial to help me figure out what I am looking out with this Tune. Youtube vid, etc?

OR... can you put in layman terms where the car ends up, IE 340hp on base 6cyl RWD MT ends up a 9 cyl 780hp spaceship.

Yes. I know the cars engine does not spontaneously reconfigure. Laws of thermodynamics apply. I've just had too much coffee.

Quick Reply: V6S Tune