F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6s vs V8s - Buyers Remorse? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default V6s vs V8s - Buyers Remorse? HELP!

I'm a pretty new 2014 V6s Vert owner and I cannot deny that I absolutely love the car. I've posted a few times in the V6s tuning thread and I am certainly interested in maximizing the performance of the V6s. My 2014 was almost considered a leftover when initially purchased as the in-service date is 9/2014....meaning my CPO Warranty goes through 9/2020. I don't want to risk voiding my warranty by installing a tune and something unexpected happening and being up a crick without a paddle. (see blown engine thread)

I took the V8s for a test drive prior to deciding on the V6s and pulling the V8s out of the dealer lot resulted in a slight fishtail. Unfortunately, the wife was with me and immediately commented that I would kill myself in the V8s, right or wrong, I could have gotten the V8s and she wouldn't know the difference. Obviously, it would just take some getting used to the power of the V8s and in all fairness, I drove the V8s immediately after driving a base, so it was night and day from a power standpoint.

Can the veterans on this board help convince me why I should NOT trade in my V6s for a V8s? Are there any "non-warranty voiding" mods available on the V6s? For what I was shopping for, I could have gotten a V8s for about than $US 3-5k more than what I was seeing the V6s selling for.

Pro for V8s
- Insurance was only about $5 more per month for the V8s so this is not a deciding factor.
- I didn't get the Perf Package S on my V6s, no flat steering wheel, no custom tuning/setup option, no dynamic exhaust (but dynamic driving mode seems to do the same)
- Seems to sounds a bit 'meaner' than the V6s
- Really want red calipers and was quoted $US 1300 to have them painted, V8s will have this (this is a pro for V8, not a con)

Con for V8s
- I do find that there aren't a lot of roads around me where I can even push the V6s because it seems as if I am at 50-60MPH before I know it.
- I'll probably lose some $ if I make the change so soon
- More power wasted/unused

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by watson6505; 09-05-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
I'm a pretty new 2014 V6s Vert owner and I cannot deny that I absolutely love the car. I've posted a few times in the V6s tuning thread and I am certainly interested in maximizing the performance of the V6s. My 2014 was almost considered a leftover when initially purchased as the in-service date is 9/2014....meaning my CPO Warranty goes through 9/2020. I don't want to risk voiding my warranty by installing a tune and something unexpected happening and being up a crick without a paddle. (see blown engine thread)

I took the V8s for a test drive prior to deciding on the V6s and pulling the V8s out of the dealer lot resulted in a slight fishtail. Unfortunately, the wife was with me and immediately commented that I would kill myself in the V8s, right or wrong, I could have gotten the V8s and she wouldn't know the difference. Obviously, it would just take some getting used to the power of the V8s and in all fairness, I drove the V8s immediately after driving a base, so it was night and day from a power standpoint.

Can the veterans on this board help convince me why I should NOT trade in my V6s for a V8s? Are there any "non-warranty voiding" mods available on the V6s? For what I was shopping for, I could have gotten a V8s for about than $US 3-5k more than what I was seeing the V6s selling for.

Pro for V8s
- Insurance was only about $5 more per month for the V8s so this is not a deciding factor.
- I didn't get the Perf Package S on my V6s, no flat steering wheel, no custom tuning/setup option, no dynamic exhaust (but dynamic driving mode seems to do the same)
- Seems to sounds a bit 'meaner' than the V6s
- Really want red calipers and was quoted $US 1300 to have them painted, V8s will have this (this is a pro for V8, not a con)

Con for V8s
- I do find that there aren't a lot of roads around me where I can even push the V6s because it seems as if I am at 50-60MPH before I know it.
- I'll probably lose some $ if I make the change so soon
- More power wasted/unused

Thanks in advance.
It's CREEK, not CRICK .

I'm fairly certain that if you do a search on this Forum you will find plenty of threads much like yours. In fact, exactly like yours.

As the delighted owner of a 2015 V6S - for just under 3 years - I can say that I've never looked back or had any near buyers-remorse. The fact is the V6S - or any configuration - provides me with plenty of fun; speed, noise, etc. that there never comes a time I wish I had the V8. Of course, there is no substitute for HP - especially brute HP - and if you desire more then there's only one course of action. (Other than a tune which while interesting, I have no desire for). I say live with it awhile and see if you feel any differently. Unless, of course, your mind is already made up.

Perhaps watching this video might make for a good reminder (pay particular attention at 1:38):

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-05-2017 at 12:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Misujerr (09-06-2017), SinF (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I'm a weirdo like Jay - power, noise, handling... I like virtually everything about the V6S, and never had the slightest interest in the V8.

But, if you gotta have the V8.... you gotta have it.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM

Its one of those things where if the V8s didn't exist, I would be completely content. Love the video...ha!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
Its one of those things where if the V8s didn't exist, I would be completely content. Love the video...ha!
That's often a case of what I consider the law of diminishing returns. It's akin to buying a quality sound system (something else I know something about). Sure you can spend more but will the "improvement" equal the added cost and/or hassle? In many cases it would not. (In the case of stereo equipment, the ONLY thing which matters are YOUR ears, not necessarily your bank account).

It's a bit of a mind game if you ask me.

The only thing is buyers-remorse surfaces all too often. I'm usually pretty definitive when I make my purchases (and I know myself quite well) and I once read that all the research in the world might not make one happy and that after doing a certain amount [of research] one should make a decision, be happy with it, and move on (to other matters).

I think you will be thrilled with your choice given time. Of course and as I've already said - as has my nut-job Forum brother DJS - if your minds made up...

Old 09-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

- Really want red calipers and was quoted $US 1300 to have them painted..

Paint them yourself and save money.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Man I hate California. I'd love to get a different car every couple years - but at 10.25% sales tax and additional punitive registration costs, I will be "stuck" with my F type for many years. I usually buy gently used cars anyways - may have to move to Oregon so I can trade cars frequently without a significant penalty.

As for the OP's concern, enjoy what you have! The incremental upgrade in performance of the V-8 will not improve the quality of life in proportion to the deterioration in your finances.

One last point: I've noticed over the years as I've modified cars (i.e. significant upgrades like adding superchargers or bigger turbos, etc) that no matter the new level of improved performance, or how content you are right after the upgrade, its only a matter of a few months before the thought is...whats' next?

Old 09-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If you can do the swap without losing too much money, I think it's worth it. I'm biased tho.. I think the V8 RWD is what a God intended for the F-Type. Lol..

It's the $$$ loss that would nix it for me. I'd have a hard time losing money on such a similar car.

That said.. There are some GREAT v8s deals out there if you are willing to lose the warranty.. Then you can jump the v8s up to 600HPish too!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I started out driving the V6S and it is the car that got me interested in the F Type. It lacked power for my taste, but the handling of it was crisp and wonderful. The V8 does not feel as nimble as the V6, but makes up for it in power delivery. If you do not want to tune the V6 up I also get that (I haven't tuned for the same reason), but I think the V6S with the tune would be the perfect balance for that chassis! The grass always looks greener on the other side, but not always the case I would just enjoy it for now, and give yourself something to look forward to later! Once you go up in power, it is hard to go down...

Best news is that you are a winner either way, as both cars are fantastic!

Cheers

Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I successfully talked myself out of buying a V6S Vert...glad I did. By the time I had finished modding the power plant to get the torque that I was after with a heavy car like the F-Type, I was getting close to the cost of a V8.

Life's too short...be brave and get a V8! (Quick, before the E-revolution!)

Old 09-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't go too far wrong with V6 or V8. I bought a V6 coupe as I wanted the manual trans and the V8 is (for me) way over powered for proper / safe use on the street if you push it. When I want crazy acceleration and even better handling dynamics I jump on my motorcycle. With the money saved on the V6 you can get yourself a BMW 1000RR and nobody will catch you.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, although the V6S is no slouch, it is much more satisfying driving a slow car fast than driving fast car slow. I went from a '14 Mustang 5.0 to my V6S. It was very frustrating not being able to use it to its full potential. I did test drive a 2014 V8S and asked the owner if he could turn it down (that's just me). I also felt I could easily get into serious trouble after 5 seconds. Also, that tail happy thing was a concern.

Is your V6S the color you want, and optioned out the way you want? Can you post a pic? I have everything I want except the 8 and its a keeper. The 380hp V6S without the active exhaust button does snap, crackle, and pop. You have to be in both Dynamic Mode and Sport Mode using the flappy paddles, revving it high and immediately lifting off the gas. The 340 hp V6 does not have the exhaust valves but makes a different sound in itself. Some early 2014 V8s do not have this button either.

It has been said that among the 340hp V6, the 380hp V6, and the V8S, the 380hp V6 is the perfect balance. IMHO I think the V6S best captures the character and essence of its predecessor. I watched a youTube video of two British fellows taking a V6S on a roadtrip to the continent to go snowboarding and having a grand time. I took my best bud on a trip to wine country and it was the same feeling.

If it constantly gnaws at you and if there are other options you wish you had, then I would suggest getting the 8, budget and wife permitting, and if you are ok with the costs. btw, out here in California, I find the price difference between a V6S and a V8S to be more in the $5K to $10K range.

Sorry if this was too long and I do love the V8s too. If I had lots and lots of bucks to spend, I would keep my 6 and get a SVR to add to the collection .

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Jagged (and everyone else), no worries on the length. I assume most of the stock F Type S look about the same so I didn't post any pictures. That being said, I have inserted some of the pics I took recently. They aren't 'staged' they are just pics I took. I've certainly had the crackling happen in sport/dynamic mode with the paddles, which is why I am not too upset about not having the active exhaust option. Other than the Performance Pack S, I got pretty much everything I wanted with this car.

Basic shot of the rear...all stock

Shot of the front and HATE the front plate, gonna get dealer to remove and plug up the holes

Pic from the dealers lot, date of purchase.

Had to have the red interior...notice no active exhaust button or sport wheel

Just because it looks cool

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the V6, and I too want the V8 now.

If I could do it without losing a ton of money, I would.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a base v6 and for hard canyon driving it is enough power to make rear end dance. On the other hand, passing someone uphill in the mountains I feel like I could use more a bit power although the base v6 is still pretty fast. A few week ago passing people on a steep grade I reached some high speeds very quickly.

Personally for me, the v8 would come down to the sound and that crazy exhaust. I love to take my F-Type for errands, put it in dynamic mode and hear the crackles and pops. The V8 would sound that much better. On a hard canyon road though, I would take the V6 because I hear it is more nimble and I can use more of the power.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it was always going to be a V8. I wasn't going to make the same mistake I did with my R8. Great car, but I was always looking at V10's.

Problem now I keep looking at ceramics brakes. Why can't I be happy!!!

Old 09-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I've never ridden in V6, though I love to. But for me, it was V8 or nothing. Granted I don't always get to use all of the power, but when I do get to put my foot into it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a bit of time learning the throttle and replacing the OEM tires the *** becomes a lot easier to control. Mine only comes out when I want it to. But making it wiggle is pretty much fun.

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
The 340 hp V6 does not have the exhaust valves but makes a different sound in itself. Some early 2014 V8s do not have this button either.
I've never heard this and I have a very early 2014.

El Gato, you are absolutely correct about the S1000RR. I've got the first year model and it still scares me. I've never ever fully opened the throttle in first. (The damn thing does 90 in first.)

Old 09-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcFTR
For me it was always going to be a V8.
Me too. ....and the difference in power isn't incremental, nor do I find the v8 to be dangerous, overpowered or anything else along those lines. Heck, put it in snow and ice mode and it's a pussycat.

The biggest draw for the V6 IMO is the manual tranny for those that want them.

Dave

Old 09-05-2017, 03:46 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

The reason I chose the F Type was purely because of the V8 - the muscle car sound, tire smoking power oversteer, evil handling etc. The over the top drama. It's actually totally opposite of cars I usually go for.

If I wanted a car for its handling precision, lightness, tactile feedback - I would have chosen an entirely different car. One from Porsche.

So - in summary - go get the V8

The following 2 users liked this post by ek993:
Desert Dawg (09-05-2017), Reefkeep (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 03:49 PM

support for the V8 certainly gaining some steam. It's gonna kill me to pay sales tax twice if I were to end up trading "up". Will certanily give it some time and maybe buying a V8s Vert during the winter in the northeast will offset some of the pain.