Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6s vs V8s - Buyers Remorse? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
If capability is not a consideration, then why not just buy a V8 badge, hood vents, retrofit dual pipes, and viola you have a car you wanted. Bonus - you already have V8 block installed from factory, as V6 and V8 share it.
Oh, it's a consideration for me.....in fact I use 100% of my V8's power often (even without the DSC on.....shhhhhh, don't tell anyone!) LOL

Dave

Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
AFAIK there is only one instance of an engine being blown and that may or may not have had anything to do with a tune. I have a tune and don't lose any sleep over the engine blowing up, based on the reputation of VAP and the other members who went the same route before me. I don't track my car of course so maybe I don't put it under "extra" strain. I sleep okay at night because the same engine is rated at a number of different outputs depending on how much money you paid Jaguar to unlock it with the trim level. So it's not like I doubled the output or anything. If Jaguar felt happy their powertrain could handle it "officially" then I am not having panic attacks about the aftermarket stuff I have in place. Does it transform a base V6 - yes, yes it does.

So for me, as I got my V6 with the trim bells and whistles I wanted after the depreciation someone else paid, I couldn't be happier and am not pining for the V8. Had one of them in my XFR so already checked that off the list.

A bit like the "stick or automatic" threads, horses for courses. Don't believe that the V6 is "second best" for everyone. Now the 4 cylinder, well maybe that's pushing it, but I suspect that NA market isn't the primary demographic.
Do you have the VAP tune only? Or the pulley upgrade also?

Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Life is too short to have regrets over an engine. Just do it.

The following users liked this post:
bigdaddy (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If you stick with a v6 you should consider the new valved exhaust from VAP. Looks like it is still in the final development stage but Stuart suggested he can give you a good deal on it. It sounds sick and might be a worthy upgrade.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...xhaust-188490/

Old 09-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
Do you have the VAP tune only? Or the pulley upgrade also?
Both but IMHO the tune was more noticeable change.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
I've got the 420hp "ECU only" mod and I don't really feel like I get hit by a sledge hammer. Would 30 more HP really make that big of a difference?
It's not the extra 30 horses but the extra 50 lb-ft that make up the hammer.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's not the extra 30 horses but the extra 50 lb-ft that make up the hammer.
Are the power outputs on the V8 lower in the USA ?

In UK :
V6 is 340bhp
V6S is 380bhp

V8S was 500bhp (now discontinued)
V8R is 550bhp

V8 SVR is 575bhp

so a V8s is 120 bhp more than a standard V6S and 80bhp more than a tuned V6S with 420bhp

If those kind of differences aren't very noticeable I would suggest that the F Type V8 in question has at least two spark plug leads disconnected!

We are all different, I don't think anyone could seriously consider even V6 to be slow, it's just that the performance potential of V6s, V8s, V8R and ultimately SVR are incrementally higher.

How much that matters to the individual depends I suspect, on where and how often you drive it.

My personal experiences with owning performance cars, which are always daily drivers are at first the performance puts a huge grin on my face every time I drive it.

With a few thousand miles, which often equates to a few weeks of ownership I notice that the fuel consumption has increased, not because it needs a service but rather I am using a greater percentage of the power more of the time.
Then the inevitable occurs, I start considering tuning or replacement.

Your mileage may of course vary.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
Based upon what I am reading here, I would go with the Velocity tune...get er up to over 400hp and maybe/maybe not do the pulley. Problem is the pulley is a dead visual give away that the tune likely exists.
I have the VAP tune on my R and its been really good.. others with the 6 have the lower pulley and tune and love it.

My dealer has been really good about the tune and do not come across negative about it. Certainly if the ECU was inspected by Jaguar they would see the tune, but thats only likely if a massive engine failure which is highly unlikely.

Consider doing a 'temperature' check of the attitude concerning tunes at your dealer by talking to their master mechanic and take it from there.
Lawrence.