Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default V8 question

Morning
A friend of mine is looking at a Porsche cayenne V8 but the dealer is telling him there is an EU directive to phase out V8,s and they are re-designing the engine this sounds rubbish to me
not heard this mentioned on here about our V8
Has anyone else heard of this ??

cheers
Burnie

Old 08-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by burnie
Morning
A friend of mine is looking at a Porsche cayenne V8 but the dealer is telling him there is an EU directive to phase out V8,s and they are re-designing the engine this sounds rubbish to me
not heard this mentioned on here about our V8
Has anyone else heard of this ??

cheers
Burnie
That's typical car salesman BS.

It's not an EU directive to "phase out" V8s. It's due to continually tightening corporate average fuel economy requirements (CAFE), and the bar gets higher every year. The same is true in the U.S., but if a manufacturer sells enough vehicles that meet or exceed the requirement, their average CAFE score will allow them to keep building and selling high-powered V8s. Large US companies have thus far been able to do so and maintain the "muscle cars" in their lineups.

For niche manufacturers like Porsche and Jaguar, it will get increasingly difficult, and that's why systems like engine "start-stop," that many love to whine about, are showing up on everything.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

V8s will be gone soon. Too many gas mileage regulations/standards. Everybody is going smaller + turbo. Look at Ferrari's new 488. The next generation 911 engines will be all small turbos. Look at BMW i8...list goes on. Heck even the American Ford GT will be a V6 turbo. So yes, the salesman is partially right in that the V8 is dying.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

No, the salesman is completely incorrect in saying it's an EU directive to eliminate V8s. It is an EU directive to improve corporate average fuel economy.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No, the salesman is completely incorrect in saying it's an EU directive to eliminate V8s. It is an EU directive to improve corporate average fuel economy.
Effectively the same...

Old 08-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Yes, there is no literal directive to "phase out V8". As there is no literal directive to make cars hybrids. But with the government fuel consumption standards that's the net result: big NA engines ***are*** being phased out ***directly*** because of the EU directives and unless there is crazy new tech coming most cars will eventually be hybrid/turbo small/electric. So no, the salesman is not "BS"ing you that the V8s are gone. Good god, someone can't connect the dots.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
Yes, there is no literal directive to "phase out V8". As there is no literal directive to make cars hybrids. But with the government fuel consumption standards that's the net result: big NA engines ***are*** being phased out ***directly*** because of the EU directives and unless there is crazy new tech coming most cars will eventually be hybrid/turbo small/electric. So no, the salesman is not "BS"ing you that the V8s are gone. Good god, someone can't connect the dots.
Good god, someone can't think beyond a year or two, actually read what the regulations say, and look at the lessons provided by history. You will still be able to purchase a big V8, as long as it's from a company that manufactures enough eco-boxes and diesels to get to a required CAFE average. Thus, it's not effectively the same thing.

The other approach is technology, whose pace is nothing short of staggering. Would anyone have predicted during the government crackdown on emissions and fuel economy in the 1970s, when Corvette V8s struggled to produce 150HP, that by 2015, you could purchase a low-emissions, V8 generating over 700HP (Dodge Challenger and Charger Hellcats)?

Hell, smart phones have only been around about a decade, and who foresaw what would happen in the electronics industry? The V8 may disappear, temporarily, in some niche brands that can't get to a required CAFE std, but they aren't necessarily dead, for quite some time.

People like you were pronouncing the V8 dead 45 years ago.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-24-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Shift... Your response?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Good god, someone can't think beyond a year or two, actually read what the regulations say, and look at the lessons provided by history. You will still be able to purchase a big V8, as long as it's from a company that manufactures enough eco-boxes and diesels to get to a required CAFE average. Thus, it's not effectively the same thing.

------------

The V8 may disappear, temporarily, in some niche brands that can't get to a required CAFE std, but they aren't necessarily dead, for quite some time.
Yeah, so they're basically killing the v8. For many companies. But it'll survive. In other companies.
Compromise.
Such a boring thing.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Porsche is lucky to start with Audi V8 so economy of scale for awhile. Look if Ferrari is going turbo V6 the handwriting is on the wall. I have a version of this engine in our Maserati and it pretty much performs like V8's from a few years ago. With addition of DBW no lag. Ferrari looking at 600HP from 3.2!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

V8, V6, V4, turbine ...

As long as the right power comes from under the hood it doesn't matter much. Volvo is now getting 316HP out of the 2.0 4cyl for their SUV. Times are changing and technology is providing wonderful things.

It does matter for sound though. I'd really love a lightweight sports car with a 3.0 v12 that will spin to 12,000. Can you imagine the howl that would make?

Old 08-25-2015, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

If Tesla can continue to improve battery capabilities, your gas engine car may be an instant classic. The technology is much improved.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
V8, V6, V4, turbine ...
Don't forget the I6 that will be replacing the V6 in the F-Types next year. Blech!
It'll sound like a truck engine.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheers Guys

Old 08-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Don't forget the I6 that will be replacing the V6 in the F-Types next year. Blech!
It'll sound like a truck engine.
It will be a huge improvement over the V6 in terms of Jaguar heritage. I've heard some old e-types that sounded amazing at high RPM back in the day.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed it's possible to make some pretty sweet sounds with an I6, and they are inherently, silky smooth. I think it probably will be an improvement.

My favorite BMWs were always the I6s.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
If Tesla can continue to improve battery capabilities, your gas engine car may be an instant classic. The technology is much improved.
Five major problems with electric vehicles:

1. Generating the electricity,
2. Mining the minerals to make all those batteries
3. Disposing of the old batteries
4. Charging time
5. Charge station infrastructure

I will be using internal combustion for the rest of my life and so will my grandchildren and their grandchildren (in the U.S.A.). No doubt at a huge military cost as the U.S.A. will get all the oil it needs one way or the other. Don't kid yourself into thinking technology will solve oil dependence in any of our lifetimes. Faced with scarcity, the U.S. (and Britain) has the money, the credit, the weaponry and the entitled attitude necessary to continue exploiting all the worlds resources we need or want.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Agreed it's possible to make some pretty sweet sounds with an I6, and they are inherently, silky smooth. I think it probably will be an improvement.

My favorite BMWs were always the I6s.
Agreed, BMW inline 6s are probably the sweetest engines ever made.

My only question on the Jag one is will they be able to get the same sounds out of it with the Turbo. If they can, then all good.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
Five major problems with electric vehicles:

1. Generating the electricity,
2. Mining the minerals to make all those batteries
3. Disposing of the old batteries
4. Charging time
5. Charge station infrastructure

I will be using internal combustion for the rest of my life and so will my grandchildren and their grandchildren (in the U.S.A.). No doubt at a huge military cost as the U.S.A. will get all the oil it needs one way or the other. Don't kid yourself into thinking technology will solve oil dependence in any of our lifetimes. Faced with scarcity, the U.S. (and Britain) has the money, the credit, the weaponry and the entitled attitude necessary to continue exploiting all the worlds resources we need or want.
Personally I think we'll move to hydrogen fuel cell tech before a full electric infrastructure since much of the existing gasoline station infrastructure can be reused for HFC. But electric will continue to gain ground, particularly in large cities.

As for internal combustion engines, given the speed we're depleting the world's supply of fossil fuels, I suspect the cost of gasoline will become so prohibitively expensive that eventually only the ultra rich will be able to operate internal combustion vehicles. So it will be around, but just very pricey. Those who cannot afford it will have moved to public transportation, HFC vehicles, or electric vehicles. It's the law of supply and demand.

So the only way your grandchildren's grandchildren will still be running internal combustion vehicles will be if you manage to leave a large enough inheritance that they don't have to worry about trivialities like paying today's equivalent of $1,000/gal for gasoline (or whatever price it ends up) once the oil reserves reach critical levels.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Personally I think we'll move to hydrogen fuel cell tech before a full electric infrastructure since much of the existing gasoline station infrastructure can be reused for HFC. But electric will continue to gain ground, particularly in large cities.

As for internal combustion engines, given the speed we're depleting the world's supply of fossil fuels, I suspect the cost of gasoline will become so prohibitively expensive that eventually only the ultra rich will be able to operate internal combustion vehicles. So it will be around, but just very pricey. Those who cannot afford it will have moved to public transportation, HFC vehicles, or electric vehicles. It's the law of supply and demand.

So the only way your grandchildren's grandchildren will still be running internal combustion vehicles will be if you manage to leave a large enough inheritance that they don't have to worry about trivialities like paying today's equivalent of $1,000/gal for gasoline (or whatever price it ends up) once the oil reserves reach critical levels.
We won't run out of oil for a very, very long time. We will spend a lot more getting it out of the ground as we re-visit prior oil fields to recover so called depleted resources, but certainly not $1,000 per gallon.

Quick Reply: V8 question