F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 RWD - Winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016 | 09:49 AM
|
Default V8 RWD - Winter

Last winter was the first winter I had my F-type. I set it up with my dealership to drop in tire size down to 245/45/19 with real snow tires as I am in Montreal and we get proper snow. The car was actually fantastic in snow, and I mean even in snow storms of over a foot. (coming from an Audi S5 I was impressed)

Unfortunately a month into winter and I burnt out the e-differential, had it replaced and burnt it out again, and again.

I've had it replaced 3 times, the car has been hooked up to Jaguar UK engineers and the only thing they can recommend is replacing the differential module each time...

The last time it was replaced was at the end of winter, the very next morning the problem came back. Fortunately the snow melted and the problem didn't reoccur during the summer at all.

At this point my dealer, who've been helpful throughout, have essentially told me that their opinion is, the e-differential is simply operating outside of it's design parameters when working in deep winter conditions... Apparently i'm the only one with a RWD V8 running as a daily here in Montreal, they have a couple V6S clients but those have the LSD and thus don't experience the same issue.

I've started a case with Jaguar Canada but was wondering if anyone else on here magically has had the same problem..

495HP to 1 rear wheel in snow is far from ideal... I love my car but for the price I paid for it, I expect it to work properly all the time...

Any advice on how to deal with Jaguar on this?

Old 01-15-2016 | 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe you are depending on the e-diff too much and the
result is the e-diff burning out.

A traditional LSD would not have this problem, nor would a
fully open diff.

Old 01-15-2016 | 05:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by plums
Maybe you are depending on the e-diff too much and the
result is the e-diff burning out.

A traditional LSD would not have this problem, nor would a
fully open diff.
This is essentially the problem that is happening. The e-diff was used as opposed to the Mechanical LSD for better track performance but doesn't seem to be designed to withstand usage in the continuously changing conditions that winter throws at it.

It seems that Jaguar don't have this problem often as the V8 version (V8S, RWD R) is the only one with the e-diff and there are very few (if any others?) being used in this way.

I will be getting the diff module replaced again in a couple weeks, when the part comes in. The dealer's service department seems doubtful, as do i, that it will fix the problem this time.

Jaguar Canada's customer's service are involved but what should I expect as a solution to this? I cannot be expected to have been sold a $115,000 car with a winter mode and locking differential to have neither of which function in the snow.

Old 01-15-2016 | 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Does Canada have something comparable to U.S. "lemon laws?" If so, I think you have an open and shut case, since they've failed to resolve the issue in 3 or more tries. If such laws are in place, I'd be negotiating with JLR for either a RWD V6S or AWD V8R.

It is ridiculously unreasonable to sell a car that can't be operated in winter conditions without destroying the differential.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-15-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2016 | 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Winter mode is a separate matter. All it does, afaik is modify
the shift pattern. You have not mentioned anything that suggests
a problem there.

The e-diff, which I am not familiar with, may not be up to being
cycled continuously by someone who relies on it rather than
judicious application of the throttle.

In similar conditions, my TRAC system only engages on the
worst corners. Otherwise, it sits idle.

I don't like the idea of burning up pads using the TRAC system
to stop one side from spinning.

Is disabling the e-diff possible except when you really need it?

At one time, the majority of vehicles were V8 RWD with open
diffs. Somehow, they made it through the snow regularly.

One member on another forum posted his amazement that he
spun his car on a left turn in dry conditions after disabling
stability control. At 15mph. I can only surmise that he habitually
treated his gas pedal as an on/off switch and the electronics
had previously compensated for his behaviour.

Old 01-16-2016 | 08:34 AM
|

Originally Posted by plums
Winter mode is a separate matter. All it does, afaik is modify
the shift pattern. You have not mentioned anything that suggests
a problem there.

The e-diff, which I am not familiar with, may not be up to being
cycled continuously by someone who relies on it rather than
judicious application of the throttle.

In similar conditions, my TRAC system only engages on the
worst corners. Otherwise, it sits idle.

I don't like the idea of burning up pads using the TRAC system
to stop one side from spinning.

Is disabling the e-diff possible except when you really need it?

At one time, the majority of vehicles were V8 RWD with open
diffs. Somehow, they made it through the snow regularly.

One member on another forum posted his amazement that he
spun his car on a left turn in dry conditions after disabling
stability control. At 15mph. I can only surmise that he habitually
treated his gas pedal as an on/off switch and the electronics
had previously compensated for his behaviour.
The winter mode is also adjusting the differential and traction control system. As soon as the e-diff throws it's error winter mode is disabled and "special modes are not available" (dynamic and winter)

i was away for most of the winter so far and came back this week, so I took it extremely easy in the snow, I granny drove it essentially because I was coming back from the sun and didn't want to be over-confident. Even while being driven extremely gently the problem occurred. With a lot of snow and ice it's just impossible for the diff not to be activating over and adjusting continuously. there is no way to disable the diff (well by choice..)

Old 01-16-2016 | 08:44 AM
|

Originally Posted by Foosh
Does Canada have something comparable to U.S. "lemon laws?" If so, I think you have an open and shut case, since they've failed to resolve the issue in 3 or more tries. If such laws are in place, I'd be negotiating with JLR for either a RWD V6S or AWD V8R.

It is ridiculously unreasonable to sell a car that can't be operated in winter conditions without destroying the differential.
No lemon laws per se up here but there is a government agency that arbitrates these things. I've opened a case with them, just not sure what to expect. I know they can force JLR to buy the car back but the problem is there's no other car out there I want as much right now!

I look forwards to hearing how the awd system deals with deep winter, one would hope it doesn't have any similar problems... As for a v6s, they're amazing cars and I'm sure I would've been happy with one from the start, but coming from the 8 I think there would be something missing now that I am so familiar with the v8.

Any awd-r drivers in severe winter conditions here care to chime in?

Old 01-16-2016 | 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

FWIW, I only had "monster" V8 cars for the last couple of decades, and the V6 is so entertaining, I don't miss them at all.

Old 01-18-2016 | 02:44 AM
Tel

There have been no diff TSB's that I am aware of pertaining to your issue. It sounds to me like you have a gremlin in the system, or as others have mentioned a lemon unfortunately.

The only way to prove this would be to chat to the dealer and borrow another car and see how you get on in the same conditions.

FWIW, the AWD felt way too heavy for me after having RWD.

Old 01-18-2016 | 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

I seem to recal some advertising of the F-type where it said that the e-diff on the 2015 mod was a 2. gen.

Not sure what the 1. gen is/was, or if that could have been used on the 2014 models?

Old 01-18-2016 | 09:56 AM

Just out of curiosity, which dealer are you using?

As you've seen, we haven't had much snow this year in Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec. Seeing that you've got 'real' snow tires and are obviously experienced with our winter road conditions, I think it's reasonable to say that driver abuse is not a reasonable explanation. Under the present conditions even the most under designed system should be able to cope.

Not in any way the same circumstance, but I was quite surprised at how little wheel spin would occur on my S-type when driven sensibly.

Old 01-19-2016 | 10:13 AM
|

Originally Posted by Mikey
Just out of curiosity, which dealer are you using?

As you've seen, we haven't had much snow this year in Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec. Seeing that you've got 'real' snow tires and are obviously experienced with our winter road conditions, I think it's reasonable to say that driver abuse is not a reasonable explanation. Under the present conditions even the most under designed system should be able to cope.

Not in any way the same circumstance, but I was quite surprised at how little wheel spin would occur on my S-type when driven sensibly.
I've been using Jaguar Brossard, they've dealt with things reasonably well given the situation.

Jaguar Corporate have indicated today to me that "the part is not defective, the problem is caused by external factors (i.e. winter)". This is a bit of a worrying tone to hear in this situation.

They also mentioned I look at the AWD version... which has an e-diff as well so i'm concerned it may have the same issue here, unfortunately no AWD-R drivers in the area apparently. I would be very curious to know if any forum members are driving an AWD-R in winters below -20ºC (-5ºF) with snow accumulations up to 1 foot. If anyone knows someone please chime in...

Old 01-19-2016 | 10:50 AM

I asked about dealers as I'm a former Montreal area resident myself and was taking mine to Decarie Motors while under warranty. Dreadful experience each and every time. Nice to know that Brossard is treating you well.

I would suggest the if Jag is going to stick to their guns, I'd ask why they sell them in the snow belt if they are unable to be driven in the winter, in other words 'not fit for purpose'. It might be obvious that a motorcycle is not intended for year round use, but not a car.

Old 01-19-2016 | 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

I have seen several adds (inclusive videos) from Jaguar where they describes the intensive testing they have done with the F-type in very cold conditions on snow and ice.

It seems very strange that this fault should happen this often and "easilly", without being caused by something else than normal spirited winter driving?

I know the e-diff can overheat if used hard on track, but that would not cause a permanent damage/fault, and it will go back to normal operation when cooled down.

Old 01-25-2016 | 11:40 AM

What winter tires are you running and how have they performed?

Old 01-25-2016 | 02:22 PM
|

Originally Posted by Overblown
What winter tires are you running and how have they performed?
245/45/19 Michelin x-ice 3 on all 4 corners, they do great. I wanted to get Nokian Hakkapeliitta as they have better ratings, but theres not a whole lot of them available and they typically need to be ordered in, not something you want to deal with if you get a flat somewhere and need to replace a tire...

Old 01-25-2016 | 02:23 PM
|

Update: Had the e-diff motor replaced last week, Jaguar UK overnighted the parts, we'll see if it can last through winter.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016 | 03:53 PM

Curious... Does the car detect a problem and temporarily shut off the ediff until it's cooled (as I believe it's supposed to) or does it just allow it to run to destruction?

Old 01-25-2016 | 04:31 PM
|

Originally Posted by mshedden
Curious... Does the car detect a problem and temporarily shut off the ediff until it's cooled (as I believe it's supposed to) or does it just allow it to run to destruction?
The car detects the problem throws an e-diff error as well as "special modes unavailable". When this happens the locking diff no longer locks and it's the traditional 1 wheel spin on snow.

Old 01-27-2016 | 03:19 PM
|

That didn't take long...

Quick Reply: V8 RWD - Winter