Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8S - No loud button??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default V8S - No loud button??

Hey all,

I have a quick question - Looking at this V8S (https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5477/overview/) and there is no loud button for the exhaust. The sounds the car makes is one of the reasons I'm looking to buy and haven't had enough time in one to figure out if there is a workaround when you don't have the button? Also, the car doesn't have the heated steering wheel - Were those two buttons an option together?

When you put the car in Dynamic mode, will the exhaust sound the same as a car that has the active exhaust button pressed? Any information on this is greatly appreciated as I search.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Old 12-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

your link doesn't work for me but I had thought that all V8S's came with the switchable active exhaust.

Dave

Old 12-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Default ...

Here's a pic, definitely no button but it definitely is a V8S... I guess my question is can this car sound as amazing as a car with the button? I need the snap, crackle & pops in my life...

Old 12-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Switchable exhaust was an option on the 2014 V8S.

Putting the car in dynamic mode will not open the exhaust baffles - at least not on a car without the exhaust button.

Pull fuse F43 and the exhaust will be in noisy mode permanently. You can't put the exhaust into quiet mode again though without replacing the fuse

Climate pack with heated seats and wheel was also an option, not standard.

Considering the list price of the car I feel Jaguar should have included these as standard - they subsequently added a lot more standard features barely a year later.

The following 2 users liked this post by ek993:
dragonfire6 (12-24-2016), SinF (01-09-2018)
Old 12-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

In 2014, the switchable active exhaust was an option on the V8S, though the active exhaust (with computer activated muffler valves) is indeed standard. That means you don't have the option to switch it to "all loud, all the time". The valves will open when you get into the throttle real heavy. Someone else may have attempted to install a retrofit switch. The other thing you could do is disconnect the vacuum lines to the muffler valves, and run loud all the time.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-24-2016 at 11:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dragonfire6 (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
In 2014, the switchable active exhaust was an option, though the active exhaust (with computer activated you don't have the option valve) is indeed standard. That means you don't have the option to switch it to "all loud, all the time". The valves will open when you get into the throttle real heavy. Someone else may have attempted to install a retrofit switch. The other thing you could do is disconnect the vacuum lines to the muffler valves, and run loud all the time.
Pull the fuse - much easier 😀

dragonfire6 (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993
Pull the fuse - much easier 😀
+1. I forgot about that.

dragonfire6 (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 11:28 AM

Switchable exhaust was an option on the 2014 V8S.

Putting the car in dynamic mode will not open the exhaust baffles - at least not on a car without the exhaust button.

Pull fuse F43 and the exhaust will be in noisy mode permanently. You can't put the exhaust into quiet mode again though without replacing the fuse

Climate pack with heated seats and wheel was also an option, not standard.

Considering the list price of the car I feel Jaguar should have included these as standard - they subsequently added a lot more standard features barely a year later.
Thanks for the info! The low mileage of this car and price is appealing - I could definitely deal with loud mode all the time.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
Thanks for the info! The low mileage of this car and price is appealing - I could definitely deal with loud mode all the time.
Thats how I run mine. It's perfectly fine with normal town driving you get a nice rumble and subtle pops and cracks - highway driving at a steady throttle is actually pretty quiet and unintrusive. When you hit the loud pedal though..... 😃😃

Old 12-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Thats how I run mine. It's perfectly fine with normal town driving you get a nice rumble and subtle pops and cracks - highway driving at a steady throttle is actually pretty quiet and unintrusive. When you hit the loud pedal though..... 😃😃
My loud button is always on anyway, so it really just takes up wasted space.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DPelletier (01-09-2018), SinF (01-09-2018)
Old 12-24-2016, 11:44 AM

My loud button is always on anyway, so it really just takes up wasted space.
👍

Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I just pulled the F43 fuse for active exhaust on my V6s and I didn't really notice much of a difference in sound. Maybe there was a little more raspiness upon start up, but I will drive it in a little while and see if I can tell when driving.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

A lot of early 2014s don't have the button. You can make it loud using Dynamic mode and using the Paddles and no real need to pull any fuses. High RPM and quickly lifting off, of course.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Posted this in another thread but feel like it may be of service here. OP may have purchased the car already but surely someone else will find themselves in this situation.

I have a MY14 V8S convertible with no switch in center console. I too was concerned I would not be able to match the V8S noises I heard when I drove one for a few days that I rented on Turo - Worry not OP! You can open your exhaust and leave it open all the time and it takes less than 1 minute to do.

Open passenger footwell fusebox and remove fuse F43 (a fusepuller is located in the fusebox as well, unless you or someone else removed yours, so you don't need any other tools). It will leave the exhaust open and you smiling all the time. Pulling the fuse does same thing as loud button on cars with the switch installed. I installed a switch across fuse terminals with an inline fuse so I can turn the noise off and on whenever I want (spoiler alert: the noise is virtually always on).

Only reason for switch is when we are driving on highway for extended periods of time and want a more silent cabin. As soon as we get off freeway, its 100% loud because its just too damn fun.

Dynamic mode does not leave exhaust valve open all the time, as you will quickly learn when you pull the fuse. If you do not have the switch and thought that putting your car in dynamic mode was the same as having the loud button, you are in for a massively great surprise. Hats off to Jag for such a crazy stock exhaust....Its the main reason my wife and I both enjoy driving the car so much

For all those worried about doing this, you can literally do 0 damage to your car (so long as you are only pulling fuse F43) outside of maybe breaking a clip on the fuse box holder by leaning on it by accident (learned that the hard way).

Old 01-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

In 2014, the switchable active exhaust was an option on the V8S, though the active exhaust (with computer activated muffler valves) is indeed standard. That means you don't have the option to switch it to "all loud, all the time". The valves will open when you get into the throttle real heavy. Someone else may have attempted to install a retrofit switch. The other thing you could do is disconnect the vacuum lines to the muffler valves, and run loud all the time.
The Switchable Active Exhaust must have been an option on the MY 14 Base F also because I have one. I posted the MY 14 Brochure language on another thread and it says the Switchable Exhaust is standard on the R and optional at least on the V8S.

I agree there needs to be a Sticky for exhaust threads. There are clearly more than I can keep track of.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO you need a car that's equipped with the V8 performance pack in 2014...it gives you flat bottom steering wheel, performance style seats which looks so much better than regular seats (especially in a convertible), exhaust button, metal pedals, sports floor mats and red calipers. The exhaust seems to be an easy fix as described by others

Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been looked at 2015 V6 coupes (in the US), and have seen at least two V6 S cars with no loud button, and at least one with sport seats instead of the standard premiums. I presumed that were ordered that way by the OO.

I've seen lots of base V6s with no button. I'm no hoon hound, but c'mon!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kurtomatic
I've been looked at 2015 V6 coupes (in the US), and have seen at least two V6 S cars with no loud button, and at least one with sport seats instead of the standard premiums. I presumed that were ordered that way by the OO.

I've seen lots of base V6s with no button. I'm no hoon hound, but c'mon!
on the V6S, the Sport seats were the standard equipment and the Premium seats were the fancy expensive option. Some preferred the Sport seat as being more comfortable.

Premium Seat

Sport Seat

Old 01-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Really? I thought the premiums were standard in the S.

I love the look of the premiums, but I'm going to try and get a car with the sport seats for longer seat time. It's not like these are boring seats either; they're a lot like the Recaros in my XKR, which I am very happy with.

But back on topic, it still surprised me how many of these cars lack that goofy loud button. On or off, just the fact that the factory put it there is hilarious fun.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Being a bit picky, but I thought the correct name of the "premium" seats is "performance"?