F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vanity plates

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Also, anyone notice the black plates shine green at night?

I don't know ... It's nighttime and I keep looking at your legacy plate in the picture, but it still looks black to me!

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (06-07-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I am likely going to repost this on "interesting bystander reactions"...

So I am grabbing a salad for lunch, and on the way into the cafe, directly adjacent to where my car is parked, an old Nintendo-Luigi stereotype looking Italian guy who basically smells of petrol, and has likely worked on and loved Italian cars his whole life. He's really old world, but not too thick an accent. He says, almost aggressively, and definitely a little haughty but justified, "Why would you put those black plates on a new car?". It's the first time someone asked me that, and immediately said that they are the 60's legacy plates, and it's a nod to the fact that the F-Type is a successor to Jaguar's 1960's E-Type. It was quite off the cuff, but he laughed... "See, now *THAT* is the first good reason I've heard", and laughed it off. He then said "gorgeous, most beautiful, of cars".

So I got to thinking.... he's sort of right. I put these legacy plates on my Wrangler, and frankly it's not as appropriate as the Jag. But what I think the guy was getting at was that all these BMW or Lexus with the plates actually don't really make any sense. I hadn't thought of that, as in they are *literally* vanity for the color alone... but black plates on any car don't actually have any real logic.... except for our F-Type.

50 year legacy plates for a 50 year anniversary on a successor of one of the greatest (looking maybe not mechanical) driving cars of all time, from one of the greatest driving eras of all time. I like the logic there.

I just thought it a really interesting reaction. Also, anyone notice the black plates shine green at night?
I totally understand Luigi's challenge to you. When I lived in NoCal through the 80's, seeing a car with the black plates engendered respect even among people who weren't necessarily car savvy. Black plate was synonymous w/ classic and/or survivor. Reissuing new versions killed that tradition.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-05-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers
I don't know ... It's nighttime and I keep looking at your legacy plate in the picture, but it still looks black to me!
You definitely got a chuckle out of me. lol

I will try and snap a pic of it. It's pretty cool.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Question If it were possible with plate digits ....

I would consider apy for personal license plate which would read,
BRITISH STEEL
but it's too many digits for New Jersey. But I like the idea.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
I would consider apy for personal license plate which would read,
BRITISH STEEL
but it's too many digits for New Jersey. But I like the idea.
Wouldn't "UK AL" be more accurate for the F-Type?

Old 04-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Banned
Default Aluminium ....

Good one !

Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thinking about these plate options, opinions welcome.

POWAAAH
BAKFIRE
60 IN 3
UWOTM8
ROARING
WORTH
MAC GUN

Music related
KAVNSKY
NOIZE
DAFTCAR

Also, N7 is amazingly available where I live.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Just got my Vanity plate

California
F TYPING

Attached Thumbnails Vanity plates-screen-shot-2016-06-07-9.32.36-am.png  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-07-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Banned
Default May I suggest ....

Originally Posted by TheStrategist
Thinking about these plate options, opinions welcome.

POWAAAH
BAKFIRE
60 IN 3
UWOTM8
ROARING
WORTH
MAC GUN

Music related
KAVNSKY
NOIZE
DAFTCAR

Also, N7 is amazingly available where I live.

I thought of these two;

RROIDED

RRROAR

Old 06-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Never plan on getting, but in the jestful mood:

KTTYPRR

EFFTYPE (nod to the "E")

FTorque

TOPLESS (vert life yo)

HIBKTHR (Hi back there!)

How about this one I see around Marin all the time. LOL

Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow that Drunk plate on that Porsche convertible makes me want to punch something badly.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TheStrategist
Wow that Drunk plate on that Porsche convertible makes me want to punch something badly.
Pretty sure he is in advertising. Lol It isn't as bad as Ana's Lex vanity plate, but his insurance must be high

Old 06-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

I've never wanted a vanity plate in my life, and I seriously have said it about 4 times in this thread.

I'm sort of toying with this. Not sure it should balance on the plate X152, or spaced apart, or all together (most likely), and whether to align into under the C at the start or A at the end, or flush to left or right... decisions decisions.....

Old 06-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

I've never wanted a vanity plate in my life, and I seriously have said it about 4 times in this thread.

I'm sort of toying with this. Not sure it should balance on the plate X152, or spaced apart, or all together (most likely), and whether to align into under the C at the start or A at the end, or flush to left or right... decisions decisions.....

Uncle, I placed that one out and forgot to put in the space between the "X" and the "1" which would have moved the "X" back to the left. If you want it all together as it should be, simply remove the space from the front when you do the layout for purchase. As of last week it was available. If you decide to pull the trigger on it you'll see the spacing options and you'll see it easy enough to get it centered. There's even a box you can check for half spaces. To center the 4 characters, since you have 7 total, you need a space and a half before, then the four, then a space and a half after for a total of 7.

Go DUBS!!

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-16-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks good. Does anyone know who to contact at chase to obtain approval for personalized plates? I tried looking on their website, but was unable to come up with anything. I was wondering if anyone else has already went through the process and had any recommendations.

Thank you

Old 06-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Dubs indeed. Eerie for Cavs too... Game 6, at home, on June 16th. That's Deja Vu. Hope we seal it. My heart can't handle it.

GOOD ON YA for half spacing. I think the "code name" for the F-Type did *not* have any spacing on it? Just X152?

I never thought I would be a vanity guy, how much more do those cost a year for registration? And I *JUST* sent my reg in yesterday. Literally.

I want to make sure that I wouldn't be stepping on any feet... but also not sure I'd do it anyhoo.

But how much are vanity plates in CA? My renewal had the Black non-personalized at $50. Should I assume it's an additional $38? Seriously, $3 a month difference?
Apply for Special License Plates in California | DMV.org

Old 06-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Dubs indeed. Eerie for Cavs too... Game 6, at home, on June 16th. That's Deja Vu. Hope we seal it. My heart can't handle it.

GOOD ON YA for half spacing. I think the "code name" for the F-Type did *not* have any spacing on it? Just X152?

I never thought I would be a vanity guy, how much more do those cost a year for registration? And I *JUST* sent my reg in yesterday. Literally.

I want to make sure that I wouldn't be stepping on any feet... but also not sure I'd do it anyhoo.

But how much are vanity plates in CA? My renewal had the Black non-personalized at $50. Should I assume it's an additional $38? Seriously, $3 a month difference?
Apply for Special License Plates in California | DMV.org
I think its like $40 a year to renew.

I'm not really a vanity plate guy either but if I saw one that moved me I'd bite.

I locked up "FIRE CAT" and "DUBS MVP" for the $50 printing fee you get the plates and can hang them on the wall or wave them at Oracle.

So "DUBS MVP" will go into my theater room and "FIRE CAT" will go on my car. I'm pretty sure you can switch every year between the two. Or for that matter, at any time you want as long as you re-pay another reg fee.

"TYPE F R" is still available too. "F TYPE R" is gone to some lucky California owner.

This is still available for that for a Dubs fan...

Attached Thumbnails Vanity plates-screen-shot-2016-06-10-9.00.34-pm.png  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-16-2016 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Looks good. Does anyone know who to contact at chase to obtain approval for personalized plates? I tried looking on their website, but was unable to come up with anything. I was wondering if anyone else has already went through the process and had any recommendations.

Thank you
You mean for a lease?

The plates are yours and don't belong to the car in California. If you sell or return your car, just remove the plates. What happens in your state?

Old 06-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
"F TYPE R" is gone to some lucky California owner. This is still available for that for a Dubs fan...

HAhaha LOL I was thinking of this:

BASMODL

haha

Old 06-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

HAhaha LOL I was thinking of this:

BASMODL

haha
Dubs sucked. I'm worried about game 7. I'll be at Oracle with no fingernails.

Quick Reply: Vanity plates