F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAP confusion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 09:36 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default VAP confusion?

Hi guys, I apologize in advance for my mechanical/technical ignorance. I have read thread after thread on "flashing" "tunes" etc...I have a 2016 S...385hp?...I would like to investigate upgrading the power. I am interested in the VAP products...Is there a combination of the products from VAP that you would suggest is a minimum requirement to accomplish what I am looking for which is some extra hp? I am happy with the exhaust and sound so I'm good in that department. Can these products be installed easily by a local mechanic?...any personal experiences in this would be hugely appreciated...Cheers

Old 01-17-2023, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Any competent mechanic can install anything VAP has to offer. I've got experience and confidence, so did it myself in the driveway. The tune requires reading the original "file" from the car using a handheld device, and then sending it to VAP. The returned file is then written to the car. Tune bumps that 380 to about 416; add a lower pulley to get around 450.

Poke around here and you'll find lots of information.

The following users liked this post:
Rat Fink65 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:21 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Stage 1 - Software Tune only, ~415 BHP
Stage 2 - Lower Pulley + Software Tune, ~450 BHP
Stage 3 - Lower + Upper Pulley + Software Tune = ~470 BHP
Stage 4 - Lower + Upper Pulley + Software + E85 Tune = ~550 BHP (required monitoring ethanol content in fuel, using specific hardware designed for such)

These are rough estimates as YMMV based on other factors (other mods, temperature, location, etc....)

@Tuning@VelocityAP to comment as they are better suited to help with these pre-sales questions and/or concerns.

Rat Fink65 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:55 AM

Thank You very much...sounds like just what I am looking for...tune and lower pulley....

Old 01-17-2023, 11:56 AM

Thank You kindly...this is exactly what I am looking for....Cheers...

Old 01-17-2023, 12:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the lower pulley and tune along with the full intake. It transformed the car! I could not be happier

Rat Fink65 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 12:29 PM

Did it get you the hp gains that you were hoping for?...sounds awesome...can I ask was the intake a necessary requirement?.. Cheers

Old 01-17-2023, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat Fink65
Did it get you the hp gains that you were hoping for?...sounds awesome...can I ask was the intake a necessary requirement?.. Cheers
The lower intake is not a requirement for any of the tunes to "work", it's a "nice to have" rather than a must have.
I went Stage 1 - Stage 2 - lower intake mod.
There are claims that the lower intake mod (eg Mina Gallery) increases max power by some small amount but none of those claims have been proven or properly tested so the jury is out on that. The stock system flows very well so I take those claims with a large grain of salt.
I went with the Mina Gallery lower intake system - see here: https://minagallery.com/jaguar-f-typ...-tube-filters/ - purely for the (large) increase in supercharger whine, as it deletes the stock baffles in the intake tubes which strangle the SC whine, if it has delivered any increase in power/torque/performance/throttle response then I take that as an added bonus.

Rat Fink65 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 10:34 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

As a temporary measure, I just did the VAP Stage 1 on my 2017 V6s (380HP to 416). Yes, there are nice gains. I tried using the G-Meter to measure the peak acceleration to catalog the difference. So far, it seems to be a change from about 0.5G to 0.58 peak in 2nd gear. I know the G meter is not very informative, as it only measures a peak, but it's quite clear the indicator shows a bit more than 0.5G now, whereas before it did not ever bump above 0.5.

There is no question it's a nice improvement. I can't wait to find the time to put the pulleys on.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:02 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The lower intake is not a requirement for any of the tunes to "work", it's a "nice to have" rather than a must have.
There are claims that the lower intake mod (eg Mina Gallery) increases max power by some small amount but none of those claims have been proven or properly tested so the jury is out on that. The stock system flows very well so I take those claims with a large grain of salt.
I went with the Mina Gallery lower intake system - see here: https://minagallery.com/jaguar-f-typ...-tube-filters/ - purely for the (large) increase in supercharger whine, as it deletes the stock baffles in the intake tubes which strangle the SC whine, if it has delivered any increase in power/torque/performance/throttle response then I take that as an added bonus.
I would have decided a long time ago to change the OEM air intake. Until now, I've always been prevented by the statement that too much dirt is sucked in and it can damage the engine. I don't know what to think of it, but that's still holding me back from changing anything here. How do you see that? Total nonsense that more dirt is let through?

Old 01-18-2023, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
I would have decided a long time ago to change the OEM air intake. Until now, I've always been prevented by the statement that too much dirt is sucked in and it can damage the engine. I don't know what to think of it, but that's still holding me back from changing anything here. How do you see that? Total nonsense that more dirt is let through?
There is a school of thought that mesh style oil coated air filters (such as K&N) let through more very fine dust particles than OEM paper filters, and the Mina filters are mesh style oil coated. I agree they probably do let through more fine dust but who knows how much more, it could be a lot or it could be very little.
However I have never read of any evidence or proof of engine damage caused by these filters letting through excess fine dust. Very many members here with a wide range of Jags have fitted various oil coated filters including the F-Type Mina ones and I have never read a single report of one of them suffering engine damage due to fine dust particles getting through the filters.
My view is that you would need to do a lot of driving in very dusty areas to run much of a risk (eg bush bashing in outback Oz through what we call bull dust - fine powdery dust on rough bush tracks) so you should have no problems at all.

Old 01-18-2023, 08:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently purchased and installed the VAP tune and crank pulley. I installed them myself, and I am far from a mechanic. If you’re patient it can be done by practically anyone with basic hand tools. One misadventure I had was not installing the belt properly, so be sure to check that it is installed correctly. Once that was fixed, everything works fine. I’ve only driven about 25 miles since so I can’t speak to performance yet.

Rat Fink65 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 08:41 AM

This one sounds (Stage 3 - Lower + Upper Pulley + Software Tune = ~470 BHP) great...any idea the time it should take a local competent shop to do?...Also, any comments on if the "tune" will affect the stock exhaust sound?...

Old 01-23-2023, 10:33 AM

rrstl3....What stage tune was it?...is your an R or S?....would love your comments on your thoughts with the power boost? or any other thoughts...can you disclose what you paid?...if I am not being too rude..I am in Canada, so will pay at a different exchange rate...Cheers

Last edited by Rat Fink65; 01-23-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

A danger in just looking at adding HP is you get at best, an incomplete picture. You can add 30 HP with a flash and it may just be to overall hp at peak (380-410) and the car will not perform that differently. If that same HP is added to the right spot of the power curve, you may only get a little more or no extra hp at the top end, but your car is much more responsive and quicker. The important thing is to look at the dyno results and see what gives you the biggest gains where it makes the most difference.

Companies like VAP will provide before and after dyno results that apply well from one car to another. When you see large gains in HP and torque in the areas where the cars are most often driven, that's what you need. Using this, you can see the gains from the lower pulley with the associated tune are impressive, provide real world driving results and in my opinion, are the best value.

Rat Fink65 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
A danger in just looking at adding HP is you get at best, an incomplete picture. You can add 30 HP with a flash and it may just be to overall hp at peak (380-410) and the car will not perform that differently. If that same HP is added to the right spot of the power curve, you may only get a little more or no extra hp at the top end, but your car is much more responsive and quicker. The important thing is to look at the dyno results and see what gives you the biggest gains where it makes the most difference.

Companies like VAP will provide before and after dyno results that apply well from one car to another. When you see large gains in HP and torque in the areas where the cars are most often driven, that's what you need. Using this, you can see the gains from the lower pulley with the associated tune are impressive, provide real world driving results and in my opinion, are the best value.
Thank You...informative...I am not mechanical at all...I am contemplating the VAP Stage 3 with H&R lowering springs...I do find a lot of this process/information overwhelming in understanding the whole process or picture...I am hoping for a little boost in power-I'm not looking for anything outlandish...

Cheers

Old 01-23-2023, 09:08 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR

Was there any back and forth or fine tuning needed in the files (stage 1 and 2) or were the received files good out of the box?
I am asking because I am having a no power tune installed (for sports cats and raise shift points for the TCU tune).
I have a track weekend coming up and if I hit my laptime goal for stock power, I would like to install the Stage 1 tune for the 2nd day.
TIA

Old 01-23-2023, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jamal302
Was there any back and forth or fine tuning needed in the files (stage 1 and 2) or were the received files good out of the box?
I am asking because I am having a no power tune installed (for sports cats and raise shift points for the TCU tune).
I have a track weekend coming up and if I hit my laptime goal for stock power, I would like to install the Stage 1 tune for the 2nd day.
TIA
Good to go out of the box, no back and forth or fine tuning.
But these are older tunes from some five years ago and I think before much if any fine tuning was available, things may be different now.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Jamal302 (01-23-2023), Rat Fink65 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

rrstl3....What stage tune was it?...is your an R or S?....would love your comments on your thoughts with the power boost? or any other thoughts...can you disclose what you paid?...if I am not being too rude..I am in Canada, so will pay at a different exchange rate...Cheers
I'm fuzzy on the "Stage" thing. It was the oversized crank pulley from VAP as well as the associated tune. It's a 2018 R convertible. I bought it during VAP's annual Xmas sale and paid $1467.65 including tax and shipping. Lots of snow in Reno this year, so I've only driven it about 20 miles total on local roads without much opportunity to open it up a bit, but it's a noticeable difference.

Rat Fink65 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by rrstl3
I'm fuzzy on the "Stage" thing. It was the oversized crank pulley from VAP as well as the associated tune. It's a 2018 R convertible. I bought it during VAP's annual Xmas sale and paid $1467.65 including tax and shipping. Lots of snow in Reno this year, so I've only driven it about 20 miles total on local roads without much opportunity to open it up a bit, but it's a noticeable difference.
Awesome...I have decided on the Stage 3 tune and some lowering springs...looking forward to starting the car mods now that the warranty is done...eventually maybe even an exhaust...but I am happy with the stock V6S sound...Cheers

Quick Reply: VAP confusion?