F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAP Stage 3 DIY Install - Observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 04:26 PM
Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts
Default VAP Stage 3 DIY Install - Observations

I recently upgraded my 2016 F Type R to VAP Stage 3 (supercharger pulley and tune) and thought I would pass along some observations:
  • I used the JLR pulley puller from Quality Superchargers (https://www.ebay.com/itm/115582134153). Their website indicates the puller will work fine with the 5.0 V8 but interferes with the water pump pulley on the 3.0 V6. I found that the puller also interferes with the water pump pulley on the V8. To address this issue, I had to trim off a corner of the puller where it fits behind the supercharger pulley, as shown below. The puller was symmetric as received and I had to cut off the corner shown in the red box.

• With the puller modified, I was able to get even contact between the puller and the rear face of the pulley. Getting the pulley to initially start moving off of the supercharger shaft took a tremendous amount of effort and seriously distorted the stock pulley as shown below. I was afraid something was going to break before the pulley moved, but kept slowly increasing the force on the puller bolt until there was a large "pop" that sounded like a bolt breaking. Fortunately, it was just the sound of the pulley releasing from the shaft and then the pulley came off smoothly as I continued to tighten the bolt on the puller.
  • I purchased the installation tool from Velocity (https://www.velocityap.com/product/i...-upper-pulley/), which I highly recommend. I also purchased an inexpensive hot plate from Amazon (
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G99VMB7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G99VMB7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
    ) to heat the pulley hub and installation tool. I followed the video put together by Chris at VAP (
    ) which provided very good instructions. I took my time heating up the hub and installation tool to allow everything to heat up thoroughly, not just the base of the hub where it contacts the hot plate. I first brought everything up to 600F and let it set for 5 minutes at that temp before increasing by around 50F every 5 minutes. That allowed the heat to travel completely through the hub and into the install tool handle.
  • Once the hub and base of the install tool reached 800F, I quickly transferred the hub to the supercharger shaft, slid it on until the tool contacted the end of the shaft, then hit it with compressed air. Everything went smoothly, just as Chris indicates in the VAP video.
My car is now an absolute beast with the Stage 3 parts and tune. Data logs showed I was having some belt slip with my Stage 2 setup but that seems to have gone away with the Griptec upper pulley. Will need to do some additional logging to confirm.

A couple of other suggestions for anyone wanting to do this themselves:
  • If you are trying to decide between going all in on Stage 3 or doing Stage 2 and then going to Stage 3 later (like I did), I recommend going straight to Stage 3. I had to duplicate much of the work I did when installing the crankshaft pulley for Stage 2 in order to get the supercharger belt off of the upper pulley. Doing both pulleys at the same time would definitely save some work.
  • While you are swapping pulleys, it is a good opportunity to change your accessory drive serpentine belt. My car only has 30k miles, but the maintenance schedule suggests replacing the serpentine belt every 9 years. I went ahead and replaced mine based on age.

I hope this post is helpful for anyone looking to go Stage 3 on their F Type.

The following 4 users liked this post by Gearhead01:
DJS (03-02-2024), scm (03-02-2024), ThunderKitty (03-03-2024), XxMerlinxX (03-16-2024)