F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAP Tune Not working-

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 03:20 PM
Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts
Default VAP Tune Not working-

Hoping for some help if anyone had a similar experience. Went through all the steps, with instructions right in front of me.

1.) Received the Flash Tool, went through the update to tool.
2,) loaded original ECU file, uploaded to VAP.
3.) VAP loads tune to my account, I download to Flash Tool
4.) Connect Flash Tool to car, Select 'WORK', then select 'WRITING'

No problem so far.

5.) This is the sticking point. The instructions state; 'select the mod file, if more than 1 is present then select the desired file'

There are 2 files on the screen of the Flashing Tool. One is ‘MYGFile0.mod’ and the second one is ‘VAP Stg1_SSOFF’.

Clearly, I want to select the 'VAP Stg1_SSOFF file.

The Flash Tool will not scroll to this file no matter what directional button I push. I thought at first, that perhaps I needed to flash the MYGFile0.mod first (?) Then it would let me scroll to the VAP Stg1_SSOFF file. So I pressed OK, it started the sequence of turning on and off the car, but after about 2 cycles of this, it threw up an error.

So I went back to square one:

I put the the Flash Tool through the update cycle, then re downloaded the new ECU file from my VAP account. When I tired to re-load the new file to the Flash Tool, it said 'MYGFile0.mod' is already loaded. Says nothing about the VAP Stg1_SSOFF file.

But I went ahead and connected to the car and tried again. Still shows both files, still won't let me scroll to the 'desired file'. I made a video showing the 2 files and me pressing buttons to no avail. Reached out to VAP, Multiple emails later, my impression is they think its user error. Perhaps it is, but it simply will not scroll to the desired file, so not sure what to do next?

Any suggestions

Attached Files
File Type: mov
FlashToolScroll.MOV (13.74 MB, 17 views)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:34 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

It’s been a few years, but the way I read that screen, the 01/01 means it’s tune #1 of 1 total, and INFO: means the last line is a description of the tune? (No .mod extension shown for that last line.) Not very clear. I’d try loading it again.

Its strongly recommended that you have a power supply or battery charger hooked up - if the battery runs down while writing, you could brick the ECU.

The following users liked this post:
ThunderKitty (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:42 PM
Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
It’s been a few years, but the way I read that screen, the 01/01 means it’s tune #1 of 1 total, and INFO: means the last line is a description of the tune? (No .mod extension shown for that last line.) Not very clear. I’d try loading it again.

Its strongly recommended that you have a power supply or battery charger hooked up - if the battery runs down while writing, you could brick the ECU.
DJS has it. You only have one file on the V Flash and it is the Stage 1 map with Start/Stop Off. You should be able to push the green check mark button to begin writing that file to the ECU. I also agree that you should have a battery charger (not a maintainer/tender) connected to the car whenever you read or write to the ECU.

For reference, here are shots of my V Flash with two maps loaded. Notice the 01/02 and 02/02 in the upper right of the display:

Last edited by Gearhead01; 03-03-2024 at 03:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gearhead01:
gearFX (03-04-2024), ThunderKitty (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 04:54 PM

OK, That explains it. I was trying to scroll to the 'Stg1' tune. Thinking the MGFile was NOT the correct file.

Funny how this was made clear in one post and VAP could not answer my question.

I'll have to try again, as the MGFile file threw an error while I was trying to upload it. Wish me luck.

BTW, I do have the car on a charger.

Old 03-03-2024, 04:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Good luck! The dash does all sorts of crazy things while the file is loading.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:20 PM

Good luck, and take your time. I try to let the car cycle through all of the various steps and noises it goes through each time you have to cycle the accessory power on and off.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:25 PM

Yea, I noticed that. Did the same thing when I was doing tunes on the Bimmer. I will say it was much more intuitive with MHD/xHP/JB4, etc. tunes.
If you are uploading a stage 1 file, its labeled as a stage 1 file, or stage 2, stage 3, etc., With xHP, you have 3 tunes to choose from, all labeled.

What was throwing me was it said if more than 1 tune, scroll to the correct one, it looked like 2 different files/tunes. In my garage, in the car, I did not see the colon : after INFO on the primitive dot matrix screen. I've been using my IPad for years tuning Porsche's/BMW's. Hell, years ago I was using a laptop to adjust fuel injection on a car!

With the pics posted by GH01, it became clear the ‘MYGFile0.mod’ IS the Stg1 tune. Not sure why they don't label a 'Stage 1' tune file 'Stage 1', instead of calling it something else and then adding INFO: Stg 1. , the other labeling that lead me astray was the SSOFF, that's 'start stop off' so that was was another clue to me that was the file I wanted.

OK, heading back to the garage now, I'll open up the roof shade so I can see better Hopefully no errors this time, report back in a sec....

Old 03-03-2024, 06:07 PM

Success! No errors! double checked, and it confirmed the file was loaded.

It's just a stage 1, so not a huge difference, 55HP/40ftlbs. But I also was able to drop 56lbs, so it's a nice little bump. Can't deal with a stock car-I have issues according to my wife.

I ordered a SVR wing, have yet to install the springs & spacers. I need better tires (came with new Falken Azenis all season tires, don't think their going to make it through ProSolo/Solo/2xTrack Days/Tail of the Dragon ) Inspection said 'seeping' trans cooler lines, need to do rear diff, fluid, etc. So need to spread the money around a tad this year.

Thanks again for the help!!

The following 2 users liked this post by ThunderKitty:
DJS (03-03-2024), Gearhead01 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 12:10 AM
Received 167 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have a stage 1 vap tune already installed
when you go to stage 3 does it still do all the dash lights and cycle in off etc as mine literally took about 3 minutes to load the stage 3 map

Old 03-04-2024, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasman2
If you have a stage 1 vap tune already installed
when you go to stage 3 does it still do all the dash lights and cycle in off etc as mine literally took about 3 minutes to load the stage 3 map
To install a Stage 3 (or Stage 2) tune over the top of a Stage 1 tune you first have to flash back to the OEM tune, so in effect you are installing a Stage 3 (or Stage 2) tune from scratch.
So yes you will go through the same rigmarole when you install the Stage 3 tune with all the ignition on/off/on cycles and beeps and lights and error codes etc.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:20 AM
Received 167 Likes on 82 Posts

Thks I didn't realize that

Old 03-04-2024, 03:05 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I still have the old programmer from VAP. I didn't have to go back to the old OEM version before I could install the new one! Over the last two years I have gradually changed the file, from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and so on. There are still a few intermediate steps due to other changes. But I never went back to my OEM file before!

Old 03-04-2024, 06:08 AM

I also did not have to flash back to stock before going from Stage 2 to Stage 3. In fact, I went through 3 different Stage 2 map iterations before everything looked good in the datalogs. Each time I just flashed the new map to the car. I have flashed a total of 4 maps to my car over the past year or so and never had to go back to stock. Perhaps VAP changed their process over the years? I have the V Flash device purchased from VAP in late 2022.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:55 AM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
I still have the old programmer from VAP. I didn't have to go back to the old OEM version before I could install the new one! Over the last two years I have gradually changed the file, from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and so on. There are still a few intermediate steps due to other changes. But I never went back to my OEM file before!
Originally Posted by Gearhead01
I also did not have to flash back to stock before going from Stage 2 to Stage 3. In fact, I went through 3 different Stage 2 map iterations before everything looked good in the datalogs. Each time I just flashed the new map to the car. I have flashed a total of 4 maps to my car over the past year or so and never had to go back to stock. Perhaps VAP changed their process over the years? I have the V Flash device purchased from VAP in late 2022.
Correct. At least with VAP, you can install a tune directly without going back to stock first. And even if you do, writing a tune takes only about 20% of the time that the reading process takes and doesn't do the whole lights/flashing/buzzing/multiple ignition cycles (only an ignition cycle at the end). I was switching between their Stage 1 standard tune and Stage 1 pops/bangs tune and never had to go to stock first.

Old 03-04-2024, 12:20 PM

This thread has been very informative. I have a question, when you go from a Stage 1 tune to a Stage 2, etc. are they charging the same price? or is there a discount going from tune to tune?

Old 03-04-2024, 01:30 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I don’t think they charge for additional tunes. Buy the pulley or pulleys from them, and as long as you’ve bought the stage 1 tune, they’ll give you the stage 2 and/ or stage 3 tune.

ThunderKitty (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 01:37 PM

Great, good to know. After I get through this year's driving events, I'll have a better idea of future mods.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:47 PM

VAP usually runs a Black Friday sale. I have taken advantage of that the last two years and suggest working on your wishlist throughout the year and then watching for a sale starting around mid-November.