F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity AP power package ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Velocity AP power package ?

Hey guys sorry to make a new thread but I am very interested in a power package that VAP is offering and would like to know if there's anything I should know before installing these parts (DP, crank and SC pulley , and tune ) . I have a 2016 ftype R got new motor put in about a month ago under factory warranty because it locked on me while racing in Mexico 😅 I understand I may additionally need intercooler , does anyone have recommendations ?

Old 09-01-2020, 08:10 PM
mws
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I asked you this on another thread. So... I know for my own sake; how did the engine "lock" on you? what exactly happened, and why?

nice that the warranty covered it...

Old 09-02-2020, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Start by removing engine cover - it traps heat.

If you are racing, especially in 100+ degree weather, then I recommend against tuning. All tunes increase boost, this is how you get extra power. Increased boost also results in more heat. My experiences is that F-type in racing conditions is limited by cooling - what killed your old engine is likely heat-related. Yes, you will get more power with VAP tune, but you will also make heat soak much worse.

At the very least you need to upgrade intercooler and install a high-flow intercooler pump (you need to do both!). I know Eurotoys sells intercooler that fits F-type and I know high-flow pump exists for XKR, but I am not sure if it is direct bolt-on for F-type.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Start by removing engine cover - it traps heat.

If you are racing, especially in 100+ degree weather, then I recommend against tuning. All tunes increase boost, this is how you get extra power. Increased boost also results in more heat. My experiences is that F-type in racing conditions is limited by cooling - what killed your old engine is likely heat-related. Yes, you will get more power with VAP tune, but you will also make heat soak much worse.

At the very least you need to upgrade intercooler and install a high-flow intercooler pump (you need to do both!). I know Eurotoys sells intercooler that fits F-type and I know high-flow pump exists for XKR, but I am not sure if it is direct bolt-on for F-type.
- Gotcha I will definetly need to look into the intercooler and pump, I know paramount has an intercooler but haven't looked into pump

The following users liked this post:
SinF (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Firesandftype923
- Gotcha I will definetly need to look into the intercooler and pump, I know paramount has an intercooler but haven't looked into pump
VelocityAP power package performs very well without additional cooling! Where do you guys come up with this misinformation!?!

Old 09-04-2020, 01:00 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
VelocityAP power package performs very well without additional cooling! Where do you guys come up with this misinformation!?!
I agree. I'm often wondering if there's a whole section of this forum I don't see...

Old 09-04-2020, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
So is there a lot of people running downpipes , pulleys, and tune without intercooler upgrade ? I mean I may still get intercooler because I understand it definitely does help but if it's not necessary I may hold off on it a lil longer

Old 09-04-2020, 02:57 AM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts
Exclamation

All tunes increase boost..
Are you sure about that?

Old 09-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

The only way to get more power is to get more air+fuel moving in through your engine. To get more air, you increase boost. VAP tune is no exception to that universal rule.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Firesandftype923
So is there a lot of people running downpipes , pulleys, and tune without intercooler upgrade ? I mean I may still get intercooler because I understand it definitely does help but if it's not necessary I may hold off on it a lil longer
If you don't race, you can get away without intercooler upgrade. It takes me about 10 minutes driving flat-out (mostly WOT) to heat soak at ~110F degrees ambient with a stock setup, my best guess that with a tune it would be happening around 6-7 minutes range. It never happens at 90F and below.

I recall you mentioned that you race in Mexico, how hot is your typical track day? How long and how fast is you lap?

If all you do is stoplight "race", you don't need it. If you are serious about not spending lots of your precious track time doing cooldown laps or sitting in the pits with hood up, then you need to upgrade.

For me, I usually have 2 hour open track time, I like to split it to 45 min - rest - 45 min. On a very hot day my stock car can start pulling timing if I ride it all-out. This is V6S rear wheel drive, where I have larger oil pan than AWD and the same engine cooling system as V8, so I have more cooling relative to engine displacement than V8 would have. I know V6 stock runs slightly higher boost than V8 stock tune, but I also proportionally have more cooling.

Last edited by SinF; 09-04-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

If you don't race, you can get away without intercooler upgrade. It takes me about 10 minutes driving flat-out (mostly WOT) to heat soak at ~110F degrees ambient with a stock setup, my best guess that with a tune it would be happening around 6-7 minutes range. It never happens at 90F and below.

If all you do is stoplight "race", you don't need it. If you are serious about not spending lots of your precious track time doing cooldown laps or sitting in the pits with hood up, then you need to upgrade.

For me, I usually have 2 hour open track time, I like to split it to 45 min - rest - 45 min. On a very hot day my stock car can start pulling timing if I ride it all-out. This is V6S rear wheel drive, where I have larger oil pan than AWD and the same engine cooling system as V8, so I have more cooling relative to engine displacement than V8 would have. I know V6 stock runs slightly higher boost than V8 stock tune, but I also proportionally have more cooling.
TIP: - Consider upgrading the Intercooler electric pump to the Bosch one ;-)

SinF (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FType17
TIP: - Consider upgrading the Intercooler electric pump to the Bosch one ;-)
Do you have a part number and is it direct swap or do you need to fabricate?

Old 09-04-2020, 10:48 AM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I recall you mentioned that you race in Mexico
This is likely the tongue-in-cheek disclaimer you get on youtube before someone films highway pulls at go-to-jail speeds

Old 09-04-2020, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

The only way to get more power is to get more air+fuel moving in through your engine. To get more air, you increase boost. VAP tune is no exception to that universal rule.
That's obviously not a true statement. If that was the case, no one would ever make more power by advancing timing or adjusting a carburetor. If you wanted to tune your car for increased octane at stock boost levels, you'd make more power. Hell, there are plenty of naturally aspirated engines out there that benefit from tunes, and they aren't getting anymore air into the engine...

J444G (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 10:24 AM

As above mentioned, only tunes do nothing with boost. You really should learn a bit more before arguing with your tone about specific topic.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:27 AM

This is V6S rear wheel drive, where I have larger oil pan than AWD and the same engine cooling system as V8, so I have more cooling relative to engine displacement than V8 would have. I know V6 stock runs slightly higher boost than V8 stock tune, but I also proportionally have more cooling.
V6 has NOT the same cooling as V8. Seriously, you have a problem with an information confirmation.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:27 AM
mws
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

both arguments about power increase are possible
1] increasing or at least, optimizing power with just a tune, and no pulley or waste gate control on a boosted car? absolutely possible. Not much, but possible.
2] most, but not all ECU tunes for this car include a pulley. Some don't

I have asked three times, now--have received no answer from the thread starter, and I think the most important question that NO one is compelling Firesandftype923 to answer is this: what the F happened to his motor? How, and why? This should be cause for alarm, I would think. Could effect all of us, at some point.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by J444G
V6 has NOT the same cooling as V8.
Alright, so what parts are different? Post the list to show that my statement is wrong: "This is V6S rear wheel drive, where I have larger oil pan than AWD and the same engine cooling system as V8"

For example, radiator is T2R18423 and it is the same part for 3.0 and 5.0L engines.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
If you wanted to tune your car for increased octane at stock boost levels, you'd make more power.
This is strange edge case example to make in context of discussion of VAP tune. Yes, one could make a tune that requires higher octane race fuel, but considering that stock F-type already requires premium, such tune would make car not suitable for daily driving.

Carburetor tweaking has very little in common with injection system, most of carburetor tweaks are about making sure adequate fuel across all RPMs (it is an analog system), for a modern injected engines this is a solved problem as you can control individual injectors.

---

I also think many posters here misunderstand what pulley mod does - it brings peak supercharger boost lower into RPM range (at a trade off of over-revving supercharger near redline). Both stock and with pulley tunes make more power by fiddling with boost controller. They rely on thermal safety maps to prevent bad stuff from happening as intercooler is not up to the task of continuously operate at these boost levels. Fiddling with timing is typically small gain (unless something is really off when you started) and comes with trade offs in idle quality, anything most than small tweaks requires different cams.

Last edited by SinF; 09-05-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

This is strange edge case example to make in context of discussion of VAP tune.
Now now... don't try to make it seem like i'm being hyper critical. You said "universal rule". This is how people on the internet trying to educate themselves learn the wrong thing based on bad information.

Quick Reply: Velocity AP power package ?