F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity AP pulley replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity AP pulley replacement

Hey guys I have a question hopefully I can get an answer to quickly, since I'm at the Jag dealer at the moment trying to get them to do this pulley change out for me while I have it in for service.
Could someone please clarify which idler pulley is being replaced on this diagram? Is it A or B?
I've watched all the videos and manuals you guys have kindly written up but I am unsure of which one.
Thank you so much!

Old 03-08-2021, 03:14 PM

Actually now I'm more confused because I was under the assumption I'm replacing the idler pulley in stohlens guide. Which seemed to be A.
But in my kit I received a supercharger pulley. Will the original supercharger pulley work? Because replacing the surpercharger pulley requires it being pressed?
The jag dealer seems to think this supercharger pulley is the exact same size? Did they just make it out of a different material? I seem to maybe remember reading that.
Thanks.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

There is a post around here somewhere from VAP explaining how/why/when they changed their new SC belt from single sided to double sided.
Before then the VAP lower/crank pulley kit included a replacement idler pulley coz the new belt was single sided whereas the OEM belt is double sided.
So with the new kit a replacement idler pulley is no longer necessary and hence is not supplied.
But I am talking about the lower/crank pulley kit and NOT the (upper) SC pulley, and it's unclear from your post which pulley you are talking about.
If you are talking about only the SC pulley then I understand that the drive belt does not need to be shorter, a new/replacement belt is not needed, and hence a new/replacement idler pulley is not needed either.
You or the dealership should be able to hold the new pulley up against the OEM pulley to check if it is smaller or the same size (it should be smaller), or failing that just measure the diameter of the OEM pulley and compare.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:57 AM

Yep that's what we did. I appreciate the response and explaining it all. I was in a rush and didn't have an opportunity to fully exam what came in the package, because I wasn't expecting it to get here today.
I had already made my appointment with Jag to have the trans fluid replaced with the pan, and hoped I could just save myself the time and headache of doing it myself.
I know it's not very difficult but at least I learned a hell of a lot real quick trying to piece of all this together.
It's probably good I replace the belt anyways since I have almost 65k on the car.
It just threw us all for a loop because they were like uhhh this is not the idler pulley. So I guess I purchased an extra SC pulley for nothing oh well.
I have all day tomorrow to work on it. I'm about as excited as a kid waiting for christmas.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:31 PM

Well I got everything taken apart...not as bad as I thought. Unfortunately my jaguar dealer when i asked them to identify the pulley color for me last week when they did oil change told me black. So i last minute changed what i was almost certain of being silver to black and am now sitting with a black pulley till i can get this straightened out.
They didn't even use all the transmission fluid to flush out the old like i asked them to. They just drained the pan and replaced it..The whole reason I brought it to them was to avoid me having to lift the entire car and go back and forth monitoring temps..
only silver lining is they didnt have time to change the pulley when i brought it to them or I'd have never known till too late.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'm still thoroughly confused as to WHICH pulley(s) you are trying to replace.
Just the lower/crank pulley?
Just the SC snout pulley?
Both?
Coz initially it seemed to me that you were talking only about the SC snout pulley but now you are talking about black vs silver which I know is relevant to the crank pulley but I don't think it applies to the SC snout pulley!

Old 03-10-2021, 02:38 AM

Im sorry, i purchased the tune with pulley but there was an option for a supercharger pulley which i guess i paid for being inexperienced and didn't need.. I confused the second pulley (sc) thinking it was the idler pulley looking at the guides i just handed the package over to them without inspecting it much.
so i purchased a black crank pulley with a supercharger pulley. Because in one of the guides they mentioned removing an idler pulley, without fully examining what i got from VAP because of excitement i mistook the SC pulley being packed in with the new crank pulley as the idler pulley that was being replaced in the guide that is apparently outdated.
does that clear things up?
so now i have to wait for a silver crank pulley and have an extra supercharger pulley i didnt need.
Im really more amazed at how much more the folks on this forum know than my supposed authorized dealer and their mechanics.
I literally paid them just to prep this car with new transmission fluid for this upgrade thinking they would use everything i brought them, instead used only 5 quarts of 15, and now im in this situation where i should have just listened to my gut. I get home and open my trunk and see 3 gallons plus a quart.
Now i have $200+ in premium ATF sitting around because they said it would be a waste to use all of it when i specifically bought extra for them to flush the entire system with it and only used 5 quarts, AND left me with purchasing the wrong color pulley that i originally thought was silver.
i would put everything back but i don't want to loctite those bolts just to drive the car for two days and take it all apart again.
was i just not clear enough with my dealer or are they just screwing me around? The people in this forum are 100x more helpful than what im experiencing from this dealer.
i mean i brought them 14 quarts and a pan how is it they only use 5? I give them my car for any routine service and they seemed to be happy to work on my f type r since they dont get to see too many often they told me.
it's not like i try to rip them off of work, i just have specific fluids and filters i like to run they dont carry.
with the amount of work i put into this im close to just buying my own lift since the only thing left i haven't learned to do is rebuild the damn engine and transmission.
I texted my service manager why he didn't use everything and he said the torque converter and cooler lines held the rest. Thats the whole reason i brought it to them was so i didn't have to run back and forth watching the odb temps to flush it properly.
Im sorry for the rant but i even offered to have them to do the pulley for me, thank god i didn't. I dropped 3k on the engine and trans tune this past week, it's not like im a cheapskate. I gave them the business of replacing my cats covered by the government warranty, 800 for a fuel pump sensor and two hours of service time for spark plugs because i thought it would be good to have them do it when i could do it all myself using this site.
it reminds me of a post i read recently where somebody was being told it would be 800 to replace an agm battery...
again im sorry for the rant but man is this frustrating.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the explanation, it now makes sense.
Talk to Chris or Stuart at VAP and explain your mix up, and ask if you can return the unneeded SC snout pulley for a refund.
They are good blokes and easy to deal with so I reckon there is a good chance they will agree to a refund.
If not you can always try to sell it in the Marketplace area of this forum.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by ftypeawd
Im sorry, i purchased the tune with pulley but there was an option for a supercharger pulley which i guess i paid for being inexperienced and didn't need.. I confused the second pulley (sc) thinking it was the idler pulley looking at the guides i just handed the package over to them without inspecting it much.
so i purchased a black crank pulley with a supercharger pulley. Because in one of the guides they mentioned removing an idler pulley, without fully examining what i got from VAP because of excitement i mistook the SC pulley being packed in with the new crank pulley as the idler pulley that was being replaced in the guide that is apparently outdated.
does that clear things up?
so now i have to wait for a silver crank pulley and have an extra supercharger pulley i didnt need.
Im really more amazed at how much more the folks on this forum know than my supposed authorized dealer and their mechanics.
I literally paid them just to prep this car with new transmission fluid for this upgrade thinking they would use everything i brought them, instead used only 5 quarts of 15, and now im in this situation where i should have just listened to my gut. I get home and open my trunk and see 3 gallons plus a quart.
Now i have $200+ in premium ATF sitting around because they said it would be a waste to use all of it when i specifically bought extra for them to flush the entire system with it and only used 5 quarts, AND left me with purchasing the wrong color pulley that i originally thought was silver.
i would put everything back but i don't want to loctite those bolts just to drive the car for two days and take it all apart again.
was i just not clear enough with my dealer or are they just screwing me around? The people in this forum are 100x more helpful than what im experiencing from this dealer.
i mean i brought them 14 quarts and a pan how is it they only use 5? I give them my car for any routine service and they seemed to be happy to work on my f type r since they dont get to see too many often they told me.
it's not like i try to rip them off of work, i just have specific fluids and filters i like to run they dont carry.
with the amount of work i put into this im close to just buying my own lift since the only thing left i haven't learned to do is rebuild the damn engine and transmission.
I texted my service manager why he didn't use everything and he said the torque converter and cooler lines held the rest. Thats the whole reason i brought it to them was so i didn't have to run back and forth watching the odb temps to flush it properly.
Im sorry for the rant but i even offered to have them to do the pulley for me, thank god i didn't. I dropped 3k on the engine and trans tune this past week, it's not like im a cheapskate. I gave them the business of replacing my cats covered by the government warranty, 800 for a fuel pump sensor and two hours of service time for spark plugs because i thought it would be good to have them do it when i could do it all myself using this site.
it reminds me of a post i read recently where somebody was being told it would be 800 to replace an agm battery...
again im sorry for the rant but man is this frustrating.
On the ATF Fluid, for a drain and fill...that is the right amount that they used. You do not get more than that out at a time. You can run it, and change it again, if you want to replace more in total...but what you had done is correct. You would need to do a "hot flush" to get all of the oil out, and ZF does not recommend that on these transmissions. At any rate, you are good on the ATF change. If you list the fluid on eBay, you will likely have no trouble selling as these transmissions are in dozens of cars, including Maserati, Dodge, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo, Audi, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Alpina, and BMWs.

Good luck with your issues...

DC

Old 03-10-2021, 12:39 PM

Thank you both.
therock, i was under the impression that i needed the whole amount flushed out since reading the guide i thought it was stated to purchase 14 quarts or double the size.
is the hot flush where you are monitoring the temps with an odb reader? If so how come the guide on the forums recommends that?

Old 03-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Thank you both.
therock, i was under the impression that i needed the whole amount flushed out since reading the guide i thought it was stated to purchase 14 quarts or double the size.
is the hot flush where you are monitoring the temps with an odb reader? If so how come the guide on the forums recommends that?
Hi...No...When I was referring to a hot flush, or flush, it is different than a drain. Typically transmission repair facilities will have a flush machine that connects to the intake/and outbound fluid connections and essentially flushes (forces) pressurized fluid through the system, to push all old fluid out and new fluid in. Some of those machines actually agitate as well (like coolant flush machines) . This can cause damage and/or items to come loose and create problems you did not have before.

If you are referring to MY "Guide" the temperature monitoring via and OBDII device is the required process by ZF to ensure proper fill level. The fluid temperature has to be between 30-50 C when it trickles out, to be at the right level. This is due to the fact that the fluid volume changes relative to its temperature. (Also, you must have seen another "guide", because mine never states to buy 14 quarts)

Here is an excerpt from my DIY, and the only spot where I address amounts:
"I used the ZF Fluid OEM Spec pictured below. I bought 7 Liters to be certain. I drained out about 4.5 Liters, and the warm fill/final fill ended up being just about the same amount. The fluid removed after ~ 25K miles looked dark and cloudy, but not too bad. I would definitely NOT go by JLR’s claim of “Lifetime Fill”. ZF ( the manufacturer) even recommends changing between 80 – 120K Kilometers under normal driving, but consider shorter intervals if harder driving or harsher conditions."

Hope that helps.

DC

Old 03-10-2021, 03:27 PM

Ok thanks, yes jaguar used a machine to do this.
it very well may have been a users reply or another's guide.
Thanks for explaining that, makes perfect sense.
As for VAP they have been very helpful, unfortunately they're out of the silver pulley and belts for it till 22nd, so i guess ill be putting my car back together. They're working with me to see if they can get one sooner.
I guess the very least i have practice now.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:54 PM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Yep that's what we did. I appreciate the response and explaining it all. I was in a rush and didn't have an opportunity to fully exam what came in the package, because I wasn't expecting it to get here today.
I had already made my appointment with Jag to have the trans fluid replaced with the pan, and hoped I could just save myself the time and headache of doing it myself.
I know it's not very difficult but at least I learned a hell of a lot real quick trying to piece of all this together.
It's probably good I replace the belt anyways since I have almost 65k on the car.
It just threw us all for a loop because they were like uhhh this is not the idler pulley. So I guess I purchased an extra SC pulley for nothing oh well.
I have all day tomorrow to work on it. I'm about as excited as a kid waiting for christmas.
The SC pulley isn't for nothing, it's the upper supercharger pulley to add another 1.5lbs of boost!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 03-10-2021, 08:43 PM

Oh wow didnt know that. I handed it to jag and they compared it to one they had pulled and said they were the same size. Wasnt badmouthing your product just thought i purchased something i didn't need. Its too bad i dont have the skill or tools to change that out.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:01 AM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Oh wow didnt know that. I handed it to jag and they compared it to one they had pulled and said they were the same size. Wasnt badmouthing your product just thought i purchased something i didn't need. Its too bad i dont have the skill or tools to change that out.
No worries, I didn't think you were. Just clarifying. The upper pulley on a V8 is 65mm. Our upper pulley is 62mm. It produces roughly 1.5lbs additional boost, and takes the output up by 15BHP, 13ft/lbs.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 03-11-2021, 02:50 PM

That's quite a bit wish i could do it. Jag wanted 6 hours of labor to swap that out.
should i just go ahead upload my ecu and get the tune started so i have it ready when the silver pulley shows up?
the tcu tune has to be done after everything else is done right?