Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity AP VAP Lowering Springs F-Type R AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Velocity AP VAP Lowering Springs F-Type R AWD

Well...I had another post prior with Eibach lowering springs, That post HERE...then eventually Eibach admitted they were not sure if they fit my car and had no other part number, so they refunded my money and I ordered VAP Springs that were known to fit AWD F-Type and had the right drop, per the specs. After I ordered, I was advised they did not actually have them (March 23rd is when I ordered them). I told them I was OK waiting til the end of the month....Well, I just got the springs yesterday...And was very excited to get after installing them as I have seen them on other cars.

Remember that they did not have any springs, and I waited for a new shipment to be "made"...Key point here I think, but not sure. So I got up this AM and verified via email with Stuart which pair was front and which was rear. He promptly responded, so all good!

Had my tools and spring compressor all set, and took the car apart and took lots of photos to potentially use for a DIY for the forum as I typically do if helpful.

All went well with the install, and everything fit as it should....I lowered the lift....and then not so excited....The front drop is 2.25" from factory (I just remeasured it)...About 14 3/4" from bottom of center cap to wheel opening....Was 17" before. When the lift came down...It just kept going??

Have an email to Stuart @ VAP currently waiting to see if perhaps the Company that manufactures them made a mistake on the fronts?? The rear were actually high at first and did settle some after driving as expected. Man I am bummed after 3 times with Eibachs, and now this! Exhausted.

Photos for you posted below for reference. Hoping to hear back from VAP...I am tired of putting on and taking off struts that do not fit! More to come as I make progress...Hopefully?... Prayers welcomed and appreciated

DC

After install and short ride

After install and short ride

After

After

After 2.25 inch drop!

Before

Front clearance after

Spring comparison

Front clearance after

Front measure from bottom of center cap. Now it is 14 3/4 inches!

Last edited by Therock88; 04-18-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:04 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Dang, surprised you could get it off the ramps. Definitely down in the weeds !!!! Hopefully it's just a mix-up and they can get you the correct springs ASAP.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:06 AM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

This is very interesting.
By the end of Feb I bought same set for my future (yes, I still don't have one) R AWD MY17.
Today took closer look and measured it's length as per below pic

Total length = 23,5cm or 9,26 inch

Suggest to compare our measurements - I (nor future customers) wouldn't like to come into same "trouble" situation especially springs swap is time consuming operation.
I addition somebody from Velocity should comment here this situation and share exact measurements.

Last edited by Guardian; 04-19-2020 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Dang, surprised you could get it off the ramps. Definitely down in the weeds !!!! Hopefully it's just a mix-up and they can get you the correct springs ASAP.
Thanks! I have not heard back yet, but do think that they were manufactured incorrectly for sure. Supposed to be a 7/8" drop (like the rear), but instead is 2 1/4"! It actually appears that the shocks are completely compressed, and the springs are not doing anything at all.
We shall see!

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 04-19-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Guardian
This is very interesting.
By the end of Feb I bought same set for my future (yes, I still don't have one) R AWD MY17.
Today took closer look and measured it's length as per below pic

Total length = 23,5cm or 9,26 inch

Suggest to compare our measurements - I (nor future customers) wouldn't like to come into same "trouble" situation especially springs swap is time consuming operation.
I addition somebody from Velocity should comment here this situation and share exact measurements.
Thanks! I have these installed now, so cannot measure them uncompressed now. I do have factory springs and will measure them so you can compare to the ones you have from Velocity AP. They look exactly like what I just installed (your photo).
I have not heard yet from VAP, but hope to soon. I will keep this post updated as we go.

What really sucks, is that (like with Eibach)....They are happy to take your money and eventually send you an item, that does not fit. Then after 6-8 hours of labor (or if a shop does it, lots of $$), and then if you can finally convince them that you are not just some idiot,
and they actually may have made a mistake....You get to spend 6-8 more hours to take them off, and put others back on...and you get your original amount refunded. That is awesome.

What I would really love is for some company to send me a set that actually fit properly! Eibachs raised the care by almost an inch! Now these drop the car so that I think the shock is actually bottomed out, and is down 2 1/4".

You can actually put these on with no spring compressor. I put them in the compressor, and put the cap on and slightly pushed down, and you could start the nut with not compressor help (on the fronts).

I would be interested to hear is ANYONE on the forums has a set of VAP springs for the AWD R version that they have actually installed and what heir experience is/was? This would be helpful to know. Also, as I mentioned VAP said they had a new lot being produced, which is why the long wait....So maybe these were produced incorrectly. That is my hypothesis anyway. See comparison below...

Thanks for the support! I will measure my OEM coil spring for you and post back on here for you. If you do install them, I would love to see/hear how it went.
DC

EDIT: I measured the OEM Front Spring for you below:

Last edited by Therock88; 04-19-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:27 AM

To summarize:

Front OEM = 10.25"
Front Velocity = 9.25"

"Raw" difference = 1"

Quote from Velocity website:
VelocityAP lowering springs for Jaguar F-Type R AWD Coupe and Convertible, to reduce the ride height on your car by 7/8″

Also judging by thickness of coils (Velocity has more coil length with less thickness = more possible compression?), I am affraid (hope to be wrong), that your 2.5" drop is possible.

Lets measure also rear springs and compare, because they seem to be correct.

In addition we can also verify advertised weight being 30% lighter than OEM...

Last edited by Guardian; 04-19-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I have VAP lowering springs on my AWD R, and they are exactly as claimed; about an inch drop. I wonder if you got the V6 2WD springs by mistake or something; because you'd think those would have a lower spring rate due to the reduced front end weight, and thus a more significant drop on the front of an AWD V8.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

To summarize:

Front OEM = 10.25"
Front Velocity = 9.25"

"Raw" difference = 1"

Quote from Velocity website:
VelocityAP lowering springs for Jaguar F-Type R AWD Coupe and Convertible, to reduce the ride height on your car by 7/8″

Also judging by thickness of coils (Velocity has more coil length with less thickness = more possible compression?), I am affraid (hope to be wrong), that your 2.5" drop is possible.

Lets measure also rear springs and compare, because they seem to be correct.

In addition we can also verify advertised weight being 30% lighter than OEM...
Yes...Thanks for the response. Have not heard from VAP (but it is the weekend)....I am pretty sure they sent me springs that are incorrect (What else could it be?) Drop is 2.25. They are installed properly, so has to be the springs, or somehow I magically installed the two front ones to make them lower. Rears do look OK.

FROM VAP: VEL-003 is the front. VEL-004 is the rear.

See below..I have the right part #s on packages anyway? Also look at the springs...Part#s. I used Photoshop to overlay the tape measure from the OEM spring and you can see, the VAP looks to be less than 9" long!
Note the picture from the post above indicates his measurement was 9.6"...So again...I think the manufacturing was way off on this new shipment. Hope to hear soon as car is sitting! Sucks either way, as I am going to have to sink another day of hard labor to get my car straightened out.

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 04-19-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I have VAP lowering springs on my AWD R, and they are exactly as claimed; about an inch drop. I wonder if you got the V6 2WD springs by mistake or something; because you'd think those would have a lower spring rate due to the reduced front end weight, and thus a more significant drop on the front of an AWD V8.
Yes...Thanks. As you can see from the post and pictures above, however, they do have the part# stamped on the package and the springs and I verified the part# with Stuart over email?. I was quite shocked (and pissed frankly) when I put the lift down and the tires almost hit the wheel liners!

I have owned 20 +/- Porsches before of all models, and never had this much trouble getting parts that fit correctly. Maybe just my bad luck on this one and the Eibachs...How fun!

Take care, and appreciate the thoughts..
DC

Old 04-19-2020, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

If you have the AWD R, then your front springs should be "VEL-003AWD" and not "VEL-003":

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2015837

Old 04-19-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
If you have the AWD R, then your front springs should be "VEL-003AWD" and not "VEL-003"
To my eyes this is exactly what is already stamped on his springs...VEL 003 AWD

Can you also check what is stamped after AWD?
On mine: SO-124900

Last edited by Guardian; 04-19-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
FROM VAP: VEL-003 is the front. VEL-004 is the rear.

Yes, that appears to be correct. I should have quoted as I was making sure the statement the OP had above was correlated with a post from Stuart.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

If you have the AWD R, then your front springs should be "VEL-003AWD" and not "VEL-003":

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2015837
Yes..Agree. That is what they are. See the pictures above. It is on the package and on the coil spring. Thanks
DC

Old 04-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, that appears to be correct. I should have quoted as I was making sure the statement the OP had above was correlated with a post from Stuart.
Yes..I can see your point. I was simply asking which was front and which was rear, so he was letting me know 004 rear and 003 front...But it is actually 003 AWD to be clear.

Appreciate the thoughts/help though. I am trying to be positive, but cringing at the idea that these are in fact manufactured wrong, and I will be at the very least waiting another month and still have to take them off and put them on again! This will make 5 times with the Eibach
fiasco! That is assuming I get a response from VAP and they recognize these are wrong and take care of it. I would love to just get a set of the proper front coils! If I have to do a whole take off and send back and put OEM and then repeat when new ones come in again, I think
I am going to charge someone my day job pay rate for labor time!

The, "Oh sorry, those don't fit, spend another 6 hours and put your old ones back on and we will refund your original money (referring to EIbach now) is not cutting it!

Take care!
DC

Old 04-19-2020, 02:46 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes..Agree. That is what they are. See the pictures above. It is on the package and on the coil spring. Thanks
DC
this is interesting, I also sent my eibachs back and ordered from VAP - I am curious to know I mine will also be wrong; especially considering I was quickly taken to task by Stuart when I mentioned other VAP fitment issues. Hopefully they are as quick to resolve as they are to challenge any post with even a hint of negativity. Mine should be here shortly and was planning to schedule install - wonder what the reimbursement policy is for having the wrong springs installed? I am also hoping for the best - clearly they have delivered the correct parts to many other drivers, but I guarantee the shop isn’t going to put them on, perform and alignment, and then happily take them off to replace them again for free. And even if I was doing it myself, my time has value; as you stated, not to mention the road hazards of driving a low rider while the correct parts are sent from god-knows-where. Like your previous post, I will be watching with interest and curious to know if I’m about to receive the wrong parts. Thanks.

Last edited by gg2684; 04-19-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Can you also check what is stamped after AWD?
On mine: SO-124900
Thanks. Unfortunately, I was looking at my install photos, and when they are on the car the number was to the rear...How fortunate...As far as looking now..See photo Will have to wait and lift it again.

DC

Old 04-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

Surprised you had trouble with the Eibachs, I have the 2.0 and the springs from the V6 fit no problem, there never seems to be issues,with their springs, big difference in the drop for me

before

after

Old 04-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gg2684
this is interesting, I also sent my eibachs back and ordered from VAP - I am curious to know I mine will also be wrong; especially considering I was quickly taken to task by Stuart when I mentioned other VAP fitment issues. Hopefully they are as quick to resolve as they are to challenge any post with even a hint of negativity. Mine should be here shortly and was planning to schedule install - wonder what the reimbursement policy is for having the wrong springs installed? I am also hoping for the best - clearly they have delivered the correct parts to many other drivers, but I guarantee the shop isn’t going to put them on, perform and alignment, and then happily take them off to replace them again for free. And even if I was doing it myself, my time has value; as you stated, not to mention the road hazards of driving a low rider while the correct parts are sent from god-knows-where. Like your previous post, I will be watching with interest and curious to know if I’m about to receive the wrong parts. Thanks.
Amen...I would suggest measuring when you get them, before install. I think you are probably getting them from the same batch I just did, that just arrived, from wherever they are produced? I stayed in touch, and knew they recently arrived in Port, and then VAP shipped them to me pretty quickly after that. Hopefully I can get a set of the correct front ones. Very happy with the rear (which is a pain BTW, as you have to remove the interior...or at least I did...Not trying to reach underneath upholstery)...

Good luck! Will let you know what Stuart/VAP says when they respond to my email. Until then, I would measure/verify before you pay to install.

DC

Old 04-19-2020, 05:13 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Amen...I would suggest measuring when you get them, before install. I think you are probably getting them from the same batch I just did, that just arrived, from wherever they are produced? I stayed in touch, and knew they recently arrived in Port, and then VAP shipped them to me pretty quickly after that. Hopefully I can get a set of the correct front ones. Very happy with the rear (which is a pain BTW, as you have to remove the interior...or at least I did...Not trying to reach underneath upholstery)...

Good luck! Will let you know what Stuart/VAP says when they respond to my email. Until then, I would measure/verify before you pay to install.

DC
indeed, I am not having anything done until I confirm the measurements etc. I would imagine mine are from the same batch although maybe your box was packed wrong or something- we will stay in touch to see..

I also appreciate everyone on the forum and their wisdom; however, the responses regarding eibach fitment on the v6 and those saying that their VAP coils fit perfect aren’t much help. I think it’s been established that eibachs are made for the v6 and they fit great and that many buyers have had good luck with their VAP coils on the R. I purchase eibach solely because I had a good experience with them previously and the drop was more mild - but they just don’t work on the V8 and as far as VAP, their feedback is excellent and I would not have ordered if I wasn’t confident in their product, but things happen and mistakes are made. Thanks.

Last edited by gg2684; 04-19-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Surprised you had trouble with the Eibachs, I have the 2.0 and the springs from the V6 fit no problem, there never seems to be issues,with their springs, big difference in the drop for me

before

after
Yep...They fit the V6, but not AWD R V8. Used them on many Porsches too with no issues...but not this F-Type R...Actually raised the car, then they admitted they were not sure they fit the AWD and refunded??

Quick Reply: Velocity AP VAP Lowering Springs F-Type R AWD