F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity AP VAP Lowering Springs F-Type R AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020 | 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
What really sucks, is that (like with Eibach)....They are happy to take your money and eventually send you an item, that does not fit. Then after 6-8 hours of labor (or if a shop does it, lots of $$), and then if you can finally convince them that you are not just some idiot,
and they actually may have made a mistake....You get to spend 6-8 more hours to take them off, and put others back on...and you get your original amount refunded. That is awesome.
Hey. I got your emails and responded on a weekend. I'm sorry that you're having a struggle, and I understand that it's frustrating. Let's just hold off on characterizing us as you've described, you make out like we don't give 2 ***** about our customers and are just supplying any old thing without any care about the result. I started this company with literally nothing, and we absolutely care about the end result and the customer, and we are not some faceless brand that doesn't understand what it's like to spend money and want to see results. You're currently comparing us ("like with Eibach") to a company that you posted on this forum about taking days and days to get any sort of response from. I'm the CEO of this company, and answered emails on the weekend and here I am responding to your concerns on a Sunday night. So, if I may, let's just hold off putting us on blast and see if we can get to the bottom of this.

We're really big on transparency, we'll tell you everything we know and won't hide any details. To that end.... the springs that were out of stock and that we were waiting for stock were not the front springs (VEL-003AWD), they were the rears (VEL-004). So the front springs are not from a 'New' batch of production, they are from one which has been verified fitted to a very large number of cars. We use the VEL-004 as the rear springs for ALL Ftype models, and they are our front springs also for the V6 base, V6S, and V8S. We originally made some fronts for the 2WD 'R', and subsequently made some for the AWD 'R' which are a shorter spring than the 2WD 'R'. Many 2WD owners actually preferred the AWD spring in the front of the 2WD cars so we actually started shipping those for most of the orders.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, that we have shipped several hundred sets of the springs you have (OTOH it's north of 400 vehicles), and I have only ever seen one other car that didn't sit at the ride height expected - it was an AWD 'R' and it dropped less than 0.5" on the rear, and 1.25" on the front. In that instance we really had zero explanation for why the car didn't lower as much on the rear, and more on the front, than expected. We checked and double checked the products and they were correct and to spec.

I believe, that this would be the same in this instance. In 6 years working with my supplier I have not yet had a single spring come in out of spec or tolerance. What I have however discovered, in 12+ years in this business is that every now and then we come across a car that for no apparent reason something is just different. I'll give you a great example, again relating to springs.... we produced springs for the Aston Martin Vanquish. OEM samples analyzed, VAP samples produced, test fitted to coupe & convertible and put into production. Dozens of sets installed successfully, and then suddenly.... the front didn't drop on one car. No VIN break, no part number difference just didn't drop. We had enough springs in the arsenal that we were able to find a suitable front spring and were left wondering what was up. Couple years later, same thing. Has happened 3 times now. We collate all the data that we can and try to find a pattern to figure out why 29/30 cars work perfectly and then one doesn't drop on the front.

Suffice it to say, I have literally NEVER seen an FType R AWD drop 2.25" on the front end until now. I sent you an email requesting some measurements of the OEM front springs from your car, if you can respond to that we'll start comparing to our data and see what OEM spec it aligns with. At this point I'm thinking our original 2WD front spring, or possibly even the VEL-004 that is the front for the V6 and V8S may be appropriate for your car.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 04-20-2020 | 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I have VAP lowering springs on my AWD R, and they are exactly as claimed; about an inch drop. I wonder if you got the V6 2WD springs by mistake or something; because you'd think those would have a lower spring rate due to the reduced front end weight, and thus a more significant drop on the front of an AWD V8.
The V6 2WD & AWD take the same VAP front spring (VEL-004) that is fitted in the rear of all the FTypes. It's actually a much taller spring than the VEL-003AWD and would have the opposite effect of raising the ride height.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-20-2020 | 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Surprised you had trouble with the Eibachs, I have the 2.0 and the springs from the V6 fit no problem, there never seems to be issues,with their springs, big difference in the drop for me

before

after
The 2.0 Fitment matching the V6 doesn't surprise me, but they are also the same front & rear. The R uses a shorter spring on the front.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-20-2020 | 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Hey. I got your emails and responded on a weekend. I'm sorry that you're having a struggle, and I understand that it's frustrating. Let's just hold off on characterizing us as you've described, you make out like we don't give 2 ***** about our customers and are just supplying any old thing without any care about the result. I started this company with literally nothing, and we absolutely care about the end result and the customer, and we are not some faceless brand that doesn't understand what it's like to spend money and want to see results. You're currently comparing us ("like with Eibach") to a company that you posted on this forum about taking days and days to get any sort of response from. I'm the CEO of this company, and answered emails on the weekend and here I am responding to your concerns on a Sunday night. So, if I may, let's just hold off putting us on blast and see if we can get to the bottom of this.

We're really big on transparency, we'll tell you everything we know and won't hide any details. To that end.... the springs that were out of stock and that we were waiting for stock were not the front springs (VEL-003AWD), they were the rears (VEL-004). So the front springs are not from a 'New' batch of production, they are from one which has been verified fitted to a very large number of cars. We use the VEL-004 as the rear springs for ALL Ftype models, and they are our front springs also for the V6 base, V6S, and V8S. We originally made some fronts for the 2WD 'R', and subsequently made some for the AWD 'R' which are a shorter spring than the 2WD 'R'. Many 2WD owners actually preferred the AWD spring in the front of the 2WD cars so we actually started shipping those for most of the orders.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, that we have shipped several hundred sets of the springs you have (OTOH it's north of 400 vehicles), and I have only ever seen one other car that didn't sit at the ride height expected - it was an AWD 'R' and it dropped less than 0.5" on the rear, and 1.25" on the front. In that instance we really had zero explanation for why the car didn't lower as much on the rear, and more on the front, than expected. We checked and double checked the products and they were correct and to spec.

I believe, that this would be the same in this instance. In 6 years working with my supplier I have not yet had a single spring come in out of spec or tolerance. What I have however discovered, in 12+ years in this business is that every now and then we come across a car that for no apparent reason something is just different. I'll give you a great example, again relating to springs.... we produced springs for the Aston Martin Vanquish. OEM samples analyzed, VAP samples produced, test fitted to coupe & convertible and put into production. Dozens of sets installed successfully, and then suddenly.... the front didn't drop on one car. No VIN break, no part number difference just didn't drop. We had enough springs in the arsenal that we were able to find a suitable front spring and were left wondering what was up. Couple years later, same thing. Has happened 3 times now. We collate all the data that we can and try to find a pattern to figure out why 29/30 cars work perfectly and then one doesn't drop on the front.

Suffice it to say, I have literally NEVER seen an FType R AWD drop 2.25" on the front end until now. I sent you an email requesting some measurements of the OEM front springs from your car, if you can respond to that we'll start comparing to our data and see what OEM spec it aligns with. At this point I'm thinking our original 2WD front spring, or possibly even the VEL-004 that is the front for the V6 and V8S may be appropriate for your car.
In the spirit of transparency, please share the dimensions/comparison data. I am also curios to know what the policy is or what I should expect in the event my car is also "one of those cars' That the springs just don't seem to work on? I know I'm going to be out at least $600 for the swap plus and alignment. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2020 | 07:14 AM
|
Veteran Member

Yes! Thanks for responding last night Stuart. I really appreciate that. Also learned that the front springs are NOT from the new batch, but from existing stock, so bad assumption on my part there (for transparency). My ultimate goal is to simply lower the front, similar to the rear, and that has been a challenge! Appreciate your willingness to work with me on a solution as well. Thank you a bunch for that (so far ). On the pre-lower ride height, I had only measured from bottom of center cap to arch and it was right at 17" (you could measure any car with stock Gyrodyne wheels from bottom of center cap to ground to get the difference and total Ground to Arch). Happy to send you my VIN also if that will help. I have all the specs, or you could get from TOPIX if you have an account.

Per your request, to check and see if something is special/different with my particular vehicle, I have included photos below with measurements in metric (CM/MM). After you have a chance to review, would appreciate your thoughts. Feel free to post anything here as well, as I am not trying to hide anything either, or out to bash a vendor at all. Just sharing for everyone's (and mine) benefit.

Thanks again,
DC

Coil Diameter - OEM (my car)

Coil Length - OEM (my car)

Coil Turns - OEM (my car)

Measure from bottom of Center Cap to Wheel Arch - OEM - Pre-Lower (my car)

The following users liked this post:
DJS (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020 | 07:41 PM
|
Veteran Member

UPDATE: First want to thank Stuart at VAP for being responsive and helping me figure out the issue. Really seems like a top notch person and company as others have posted before.

After sending all of the data, and analyzing what was presented, it turns out my car is a bit of an anomaly! Do not know why, but it is, and appears my AWD R has the exact from spris as a RWD R?

Stuart was nice enough to start on a set that should work for my car, based on this information, and have them shipped to me! My be a while as it is quite an involved process, but he is taking care of me!

Will update when I get the new springs on...But happy we have a solution, and he is helping me out!

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 04-20-2020 at 08:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
DJS (04-20-2020), JgaXkr (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020 | 08:59 PM

UPDATE: First want to thank Stuart at VAP for being responsive and helping me figure out the issue. Really seems like a top notch person and company as others have posted before.

After sending all of the data, and analyzing what was presented, it turns out my car is a bit of an anomaly! Do not know why, but it is, and appears my AWD R has the exact from spris as a RWD R?

Stuart was nice enough to start on a set that should work for my car, based on this information, and have them shipped to me! My be a while as it is quite an involved process, but he is taking care of me!

Will update when I get the new springs on...But happy we have a solution, and he is helping me out!

DC
Any indication on the factory springs or strut that says weather it has RWD springs? I believe we have similar cars - 2016 AWD R - seems odd that one car would have RWD springs and others don’t - what is the height difference in the RWD and AWD (if that is how you determined the anomaly). Also seems strange that your car would sit the same with those springs - in short, why would a factory RWD spring and factory AWD drive spring give the car the same height but the aftermarket springs make it different. I was educated in the south so forgive my ignorance, but the explanation doesn’t make total sense to me. If the spring rate is so different between the RWD and AWD wouldn’t your car have been lower than normal from the start?

Old 04-20-2020 | 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart,
How does the front V6 AWD spring differ from the front V8 AWD spring?

Old 04-20-2020 | 11:37 PM

UPDATE: it turns out my car is a bit of an anomaly! Do not know why, but it is, and appears my AWD R has the exact from spris as a RWD R?

DC
DC,
Are you the only owner of the car?

Old 04-21-2020 | 08:18 AM
|
Veteran Member

To the above posts:

No Indication on the springs (OEM) other than measuring them. There are many suspension parts that determine ride height, angles, Toe out on turn etc... So not hard to imagine different set-ups could have the same height. Simply changing the lower strut plate location would allow various spring lengths to have the same height. At any rate, mine is a 2017 AWD R, purchased as a single owner (Executive Company Lease) CPO from the Jaguar Dealer in Chicago. All appears factory when removing, and in fact, nothing showed any signs of ever being touched (bolts/plates/nuts/etc.)....not a scuff.

So, as I mentioned just one of those odd production runs. I shared the complete spec sheet and VIN info with Stuart, and did not see any indication of any special front end/strut/spring specs..

Looking forward to getting the new springs on the front!

DC

Old 04-21-2020 | 08:27 AM

To the above posts:

No Indication on the springs (OEM) other than measuring them. There are many suspension parts that determine ride height, angles, Toe out on turn etc... So not hard to imagine different set-ups could have the same height. Simply changing the lower strut plate location would allow various spring lengths to have the same height. At any rate, mine is a 2017 AWD R, purchased as a single owner (Executive Company Lease) CPO from the Jaguar Dealer in Chicago. All appears factory when removing, and in fact, nothing showed any signs of ever being touched (bolts/plates/nuts/etc.)....not a scuff.

So, as I mentioned just one of those odd production runs. I shared the complete spec sheet and VIN info with Stuart, and did not see any indication of any special front end/strut/spring specs..

Looking forward to getting the new springs on the front!

DC
so it sounds like I get to pay for the install and then cross my fingers? This should be great!

Old 04-21-2020 | 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by gg2684
so it sounds like I get to pay for the install and then cross my fingers? This should be great!
A couple of things. Firstly, we're into the hundreds of installs on this platform. Hundreds. This is the first time I've come across this issue. I don't think that you should be in a panic at this point because of 1/300+ cars.

Secondly, if you are concerned about it, please email me and we can give you some basic information on the springs that would allow you to confirm with only one front spring removed, that the OEM front spring is the length and spec we would expect for an AWD car.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020 | 09:28 AM

A couple of things. Firstly, we're into the hundreds of installs on this platform. Hundreds. This is the first time I've come across this issue. I don't think that you should be in a panic at this point because of 1/300+ cars.

Secondly, if you are concerned about it, please email me and we can give you some basic information on the springs that would allow you to confirm with only one front spring removed, that the OEM front spring is the length and spec we would expect for an AWD car.
As I stated earlier, I would not have purchased if I didnt have so much positive feedback form your product - The only reason I went with Eibach was for a more mild drop. That said, I appreciate the support and I will email with what needs to be checked/measured; I intended to have them take one off prior to installing everything and aligning it. My primary concern is that a lot of shops don't like installing "customer" parts and go out of their way to remove themselves from any liability associated with the install or the results. thanks.

Old 05-18-2020 | 03:51 PM

Hi Stuart...so it look like you just got another anomaly..lol. I just installed the springs today and I am having exact same problem with the front dropping really low. I sent an email to your company and waiting for more instructions as what to do next. Hopefully there’s a solution to this soon.

Old 05-18-2020 | 05:58 PM

I just received and installed my VAP springs and having same problem with the front dropping way more than advertised. Does anyone know what was the final outcome of what they are doing to correct the problem. I’am still waiting for them to reply back from my crying for help.

Old 05-18-2020 | 06:56 PM

The timing of these posts is quite astonishing, I was about to install my eibachs when the rock discovered the issues with the AWD and now another V8 with a low front end - I literally just got home from dropping my car off to have the VAP springs installed. I included some measurements and told them if the wheel well swallows the tire, call me. I don’t believe in praying for things for myself, but I am really hoping these work.

Last edited by gg2684; 05-18-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2020 | 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by FTypeV8R
I just received and installed my VAP springs and having same problem with the front dropping way more than advertised. Does anyone know what was the final outcome of what they are doing to correct the problem. I’am still waiting for them to reply back from my crying for help.

What email did you send your correspondence to? I just checked both Stuart@VelocityAP.com and Info@VelocityAP.com

Is your car 2WD or AWD?

Which part numbers were you installing? (if you email your order number I can check)

What were the before & after measurements on each corner?

If no 'before' measurements were taken, what is the current measurement from ground to the top of the fender on each corner?

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-18-2020 | 08:57 PM

What email did you send your correspondence to? I just checked both Stuart@VelocityAP.com and Info@VelocityAP.com

Is your car 2WD or AWD?

Which part numbers were you installing? (if you email your order number I can check)

What were the before & after measurements on each corner?

If no 'before' measurements were taken, what is the current measurement from ground to the top of the fender on each corner?
My apologies, Stuart. I purchased the springs from Vivid Racing so I didn’t use those emails. For some reasons, I had in my head that they and Velocity is the same company. In any case their part number is #VEL-JaguarFTypeSpringsAWD. We confirmed the labels in the packaging also.

We verified that the springs are in the correct locations by their part numbers (VEL-004 Rear, VEL-003-AWD Front). My vehicle is 2016 V8 R AWD.

The front is dropped to at 26.5”. I will have the shop that is installing the springs to email directly to you so they can provide other measurements. Thanks for your help!

I am still waiting on Vivid to see what they are doing to help.

Old 05-18-2020 | 09:24 PM
|
Veteran Member

Well...The good news is, Stuart and VAP are very helpful and knowledgeable. They got my situation figured out quickly. Hope to have my new front springs soon to install and check them out. The backs are great and sit perfect! Looking forward to receiving my new fronts and getting them installed. Will post here again when I get it done. Appears Jaguar has a habit of doing different runs (and using various parts) on the same model. It is crazy. Never had that with 20+ Porsches. Again...Glad Stuart was able to figure it out, and is trying to help me.

DC

Old 05-18-2020 | 09:28 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FTypeV8R

Looks like our buddies a JLR put RWD or AWD springs on the front of AWD vehicles. In my case I am waiting on the RWD- Front springs. I got all the measurements to VAP/Stuart and they were exact specs of RWD Springs. That is likely your issue too. Do not even bother with Eibach as they are clueless (I think they fit V6?). And H&R are just a little too much drop for me...So VAP are just right! ( I sound like Goldilocks ).

Good luck!
DC

Quick Reply: Velocity AP VAP Lowering Springs F-Type R AWD