F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity AP VAP Lowering Springs F-Type R AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Looks like our buddies a JLR put RWD or AWD springs on the front of AWD vehicles. In my case I am waiting on the RWD- Front springs. I got all the measurements to VAP/Stuart and they were exact specs of RWD Springs. That is likely your issue too. Do not even bother with Eibach as they are clueless (I think they fit V6?). And H&R are just a little too much drop for me...So VAP are just right! ( I sound like Goldilocks ).

Good luck!
DC
I believe ya. Just the fact that Stuart is involving himself here on a forum speaks volume. This alone make me want to support his future products. Hopefully mine will get sorted out soon.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by FTypeV8R
My apologies, Stuart. I purchased the springs from Vivid Racing so I didn’t use those emails. For some reasons, I had in my head that they and Velocity is the same company. In any case their part number is #VEL-JaguarFTypeSpringsAWD. We confirmed the labels in the packaging also.

We verified that the springs are in the correct locations by their part numbers (VEL-004 Rear, VEL-003-AWD Front). My vehicle is 2016 V8 R AWD.

The front is dropped to at 26.5”. I will have the shop that is installing the springs to email directly to you so they can provide other measurements. Thanks for your help!

I am still waiting on Vivid to see what they are doing to help.
FYI: H&R springs lowered my car to 26.5” in front and 27.25” in the rear. Perfect from a handling standpoint, but aesthetically I prefer the typical VAP stance.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
FYI: H&R springs lowered my car to 26.5” in front and 27.25” in the rear. Perfect from a handling standpoint, but aesthetically I prefer the typical VAP stance.
yeah...for some, I know the 26.5” drop is preferred. Personally, that’s a little too much for me because we’re talking about a Jag and not a Honda...lol. Too much drop seems a little too “artificial” of a stance, taking away that subtle elegance that is a Jag.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by FTypeV8R
My apologies, Stuart. I purchased the springs from Vivid Racing so I didn’t use those emails. For some reasons, I had in my head that they and Velocity is the same company. In any case their part number is #VEL-JaguarFTypeSpringsAWD. We confirmed the labels in the packaging also.

We verified that the springs are in the correct locations by their part numbers (VEL-004 Rear, VEL-003-AWD Front). My vehicle is 2016 V8 R AWD.

The front is dropped to at 26.5”. I will have the shop that is installing the springs to email directly to you so they can provide other measurements. Thanks for your help!

I am still waiting on Vivid to see what they are doing to help.
I can assure you...Vivid Racing and VAP are not even close to the same company On the Porsche Forums (Rennlist, and 6Speed) no one will even respond to their posts. They are pretty well hated by most, and no one will do business with them (Just FYI). Hopefully they will take care of you though! Maybe ask them to send you RWD springs, as that seemed to be my problem.

Good luck.
DC

Old 05-19-2020, 09:08 AM

I can assure you...Vivid Racing and VAP are not even close to the same company On the Porsche Forums (Rennlist, and 6Speed) no one will even respond to their posts. They are pretty well hated by most, and no one will do business with them (Just FYI). Hopefully they will take care of you though! Maybe ask them to send you RWD springs, as that seemed to be my problem.

Good luck.
DC

Wow, that is a disappointing news to hear. I didn’t know that about Vivid. I only used them because they also carry the Quicksilver exhaust I wanted. Hopefully they’ll
work with me. So far, not impress with the email support at all.

But regardless of where I bought the parts, I am hoping the mfg will stand behind their products. And I am hoping VAP will do the same thing. We’ll see.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:36 PM
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

"and is down 2 1/4"."

Just referencing the above post since there appears to be some confusion. The above image from our website shows the BEFORE measurement for the springs, not the 'After'. Our expectation based on the data we had would be that you would see 27" on that measurement, not 28". So it looks like the drop was 1.5", there or thereabouts on both your cars (hard to say exactly, we do see some variance in OEM heights.)

It's worth noting - there's a standard industry tolerance of 4mm or 5/32". So for example if you had a 'high' tolerance on an OEM spring, and a 'low' tolerance on an aftermarket one, it's possible to see 8mm or 5/16" difference in drop from one car to the next. That's still more than the 1/2" I can see here, but it's also why it's only really possible to alter the ride heights by 10mm increments or so.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 05-19-2020, 04:44 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

My stock measurement was slightly lower than 28” - had the front springs taken off by the shop and they measure right at 250mm so based on the data provided by Stewart the VAP coils should be good. Shop manager’s initial measurement forced him to call and tell me it may rub with the 15mm spacers - I assured him that the geometry was optimal and there shouldn’t be an issue especially after seeing so many with VAP coils and the lower H&R’s and running 17mm spacer (I have 15mm). The only downside is that the cars wheelbase prevents it from going up their alignment rack so I guess I will have the dealer do it when I have my annual service in a few weeks. My dealer was recently remodeled and I thought I recalled seeing the floor-level alignment system which would accommodate just about anything. If not, I have to find a specialty shop to do it.

Last edited by gg2684; 05-19-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 PM

Good luck.
DC

I just want to say that Stuart is such a stand-up and an ethical person. He’ll stand behind his products and will go the extra mile to make sure his customers are happy. I have no doubt that I would support his products again and again no matter what kind of problem I may have with it. At the end of the day, its not just about a product that a company produce, but how strong of a commitment they make to ensure the end user is happy, and I think Velocity gave me that confidence. Kudos.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:58 PM

Thank to Stuart for providing measurements - I had factory springs taken off and measured un-sprung to confirm fitment. Coils went on without an issue and look ideal with the 15mm spacers. I dont have photos to post yet but the rear does seem to sit a bit higher than others although all cars have slightly different geometry and my initial front measurement was slightly lower than others reported.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well...My new front replacement springs are finally on the way! Excited to get them on. Will post pics when done, and if any interest from the forum/group, can produce a DIY document with images like I did for the Differentials....

More to come soon!

DC

Old 06-09-2020, 08:11 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Well...My new front replacement springs are finally on the way! Excited to get them on. Will post pics when done, and if any interest from the forum/group, can produce a DIY document with images like I did for the Differentials....

More to come soon!

DC
Yes please, DYI information is always appreciated.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Yes please, DYI information is always appreciated.
Will do! Looks like I will have them by next Monday, I hope....Then will install and do the write up with photos for front and rear.

DC

The following users liked this post:
TwiztOG43 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Got them all installed and made a DIY located HERE. Final springs were just as I hoped for. Appreciate the help from VAP and especially Stuart.

DC

The following users liked this post:
madmax1911 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 12:21 PM
Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Got them all installed and made a DIY located HERE. Final springs were just as I hoped for. Appreciate the help from VAP and especially Stuart.

DC

So in the end you had to use front springs from RWD instead of AWD to solve your issue?

Old 06-14-2020, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Guardian
So in the end you had to use front springs from RWD instead of AWD to solve your issue?
Yes...That is correct. It appears that Jaguar put RWD front struts/springs on my car, even though it is an AWD.

Crazy....But Stuart and VAP were able to help me out by me taking measurements and photos, and comparing them to others... and they turned out to be the exact same springs from the JLR RWD F-Types. No idea why....Maybe they were just using them all up on their production runs before switching? At any rate....It works!

DC

Comparison below...Left is AWD Springs....Right is RWD Springs

Last edited by Therock88; 06-14-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the clarification.
How did VAP handled springs exchange (cost wise)?
Asking just in case, because I bought from them same set (AWD) but not installed it yet (still looking for R AWD) - yes, I know it sounds weird

Old 06-14-2020, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Guardian
Thanks for the clarification.
How did VAP handled springs exchange (cost wise)?
Asking just in case, because I bought from them same set (AWD) but not installed it yet (still looking for R AWD) - yes, I know it sounds weird
VAP took care of me very well. I doubt you will have any issues with AWD springs on AWD though. Mine was an oddity/anomaly....AWD with RWD springs. Very unlikely.

DC

Old 06-14-2020, 05:50 PM

VAP took care of me very well. I doubt you will have any issues with AWD springs on AWD though. Mine was an oddity/anomaly....AWD with RWD springs. Very unlikely.

DC
+1 - Stewart was great about providing their specs with the info from The Rock, I am also fortunate to have found a very flexible shop that did the fronts first and communicate with me throughout so we could verify measurements. Very helpful. This board has been an amazing source of info and some of the detailed info that is hated makes modifications so much easier. IVe been modifying cars for a long time and have done all kinds of work (mechanical, paint, stereo, fabrication etc) but I always welcome additional help and input.

I’ll also take this opportunity to thank Stewart and The Rock again for sharing information - very helpful.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:04 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

DC

Perfect stance IMO.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:38 AM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Perfect stance IMO.
I second that.

Quick Reply: Velocity AP VAP Lowering Springs F-Type R AWD