Sponsored by:

velocity tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
How long ago did you get your tune?
Coz when I got mine some 3.3 years ago it was definitely two different tunes and they still show on my V-Tech tuning gadget as two separate files, and I definitely removed the first tune (and reflashed the OEM tune back on which is also still on the gadget) then flashed the "with pulley" tune on.
Maybe things have changed over the years and/or it's different for the MT?
I got the tune in October 2016. I specifically asked for two tunes for stock pulley, two for overdrive pulley (one each for the best gas I can get locally, one each for better stuff I could get at the track should I decide to give that a go). Chris had this to say at the time:You will see the 91 and 96aki files on the file screen when plugged to the vehicle, both files are good for a upper and/or lower pulley(if every added in future).
Originally Posted by Holy F type
when was this update with the throttle response? whats the change?
Under certain conditions the throttle response could be pretty sensitive. I believe he worked out the change with Lance (Unhingd) based on much experimentation. I asked for that when I ordered the pulley, as I expected it to be more pronounced after installing it. That was November 2019.

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
I recently changed from the no pulley tune to the with pulley tune on the V6 and that definitely required an updated tune. Chris Explicitly instructed me to avoid driving the vehicle with the pulley installed without the pulley tune.
I believe that Chris will build the tune based on what is requested, so they're all custom to some extent. Because I noted the possibility of a pulley, he may have made it "pulley ready" for me, or he may have done that by default back then but now tailors more to suit the customer. I don't know. I know mine was supposed to be good either way, but only tried the later one both without and with the pulley.

Chris is "The Man" with the real answers. I'm just relaying my own experiences.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:10 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Lizzardo...My Stage 1 Tune was mailed out today!....what "mods" should I be concerned about as I may add the pulley in several months when my CPO is up.
Spirited driving with an occasional track day . How long am I "down" while I await Chris' file to get back?

Old 04-27-2021, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sparky H
Lizzardo...My Stage 1 Tune was mailed out today!....what "mods" should I be concerned about as I may add the pulley in several months when my CPO is up.
Spirited driving with an occasional track day . How long am I "down" while I await Chris' file to get back?
What gets mailed is the handheld device. When you get that, you read your stock file and email it to Chris. He applies the modifications and emails a new file back. You load that to the device, then load it to the car. Turnaround has been speedy. I've never had anything more than one business day.

Wise people suggest having a charger connected during all read and write operations to the car. This makes sense, as it's sensitive to voltage and draws a fair amount of current. I've done it without in the past, but no longer. I have a charger, so why risk bricking my car?

EDIT: About the actual question you ask: Yell Chris what you have and what you intend. He'll set you up. If you need an update for a future mod you're thinking of, he'll let you know what's up with that too.

Also, when you read the stock file and await the tune, the car isn't down. You can still use it. It'll just be stock ;^)

Last edited by lizzardo; 04-27-2021 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (04-29-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Thanks Lizzardo

Originally Posted by lizzardo
What gets mailed is the handheld device. When you get that, you read your stock file and email it to Chris. He applies the modifications and emails a new file back. You load that to the device, then load it to the car. Turnaround has been speedy. I've never had anything more than one business day.

Wise people suggest having a charger connected during all read and write operations to the car. This makes sense, as it's sensitive to voltage and draws a fair amount of current. I've done it without in the past, but no longer. I have a charger, so why risk bricking my car?

EDIT: About the actual question you ask: Yell Chris what you have and what you intend. He'll set you up. If you need an update for a future mod you're thinking of, he'll let you know what's up with that too.

Also, when you read the stock file and await the tune, the car isn't down. You can still use it. It'll just be stock ;^)
I appreciate all you folks that have walked this deficient cowboy thru a wonderful and cool adventure. I installed the Mina Lower in 6 hrs due to my "analism" and attention to all the other cool stuff goin on down front!
ROCK...Unngd..Sprayno...Oz, Stuart and more....you fellas rock! Elk Steaks your way while in SW Utah, Sirs. Vegas has been poker paradise for a few decades. If ya'll travel there... I GOT DINNER COVERED.
Thanks, Spark

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (04-30-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky H
I appreciate all you folks that have walked this deficient cowboy thru a wonderful and cool adventure. I installed the Mina Lower in 6 hrs due to my "analism" and attention to all the other cool stuff goin on down front!
ROCK...Unngd..Sprayno...Oz, Stuart and more....you fellas rock! Elk Steaks your way while in SW Utah, Sirs. Vegas has been poker paradise for a few decades. If ya'll travel there... I GOT DINNER COVERED.
Thanks, Spark
👍

Old 04-29-2021, 06:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

how come i hourse power gain to 605 from 550????? and im not feeling the difference

Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by santacruz11
how come i hourse power gain to 605 from 550????? and im not feeling the difference
How are you "testing" the tune? What conditions, speeds, gears, settings?

If you are trying to find a difference from stoplight to stoplight I can understand it wouldn't be noticeable. The power will be more in the upper rev range and will be negated by DSC if you don't have the traction for it.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Stage 1 (tune only) primarily affects high rpm power. Stage 2 (with lower pulley) has a significant impact on mid-rpm torque where the butt-dyno is most sensitive.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:15 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

On my handheld I have the original file, Stage1 and Stage2 from Velocity. The last time I drove was Stage 1. Then I
rebuilt the lower pulley, and after the rebuild I put the Stage2 file on my cat. Everything went smoothly, and my cat is
measurably faster than with Stage1. Stupid question now, would I have to put the original file on it after the pulley
conversion, and then only Stage2? I'm a little confused now and hope I didn't do anything wrong.
Thank you for your answers...

Old 05-01-2021, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
On my handheld I have the original file, Stage1 and Stage2 from Velocity. The last time I drove was Stage 1. Then I
rebuilt the lower pulley, and after the rebuild I put the Stage2 file on my cat. Everything went smoothly, and my cat is
measurably faster than with Stage1. Stupid question now, would I have to put the original file on it after the pulley
conversion, and then only Stage2? I'm a little confused now and hope I didn't do anything wrong.
Thank you for your answers...
Since I don't have a "Stage 1" and "Stage 2" tunes I haven't done precisely that sequence. I think it accurate to say that my tune was "Stage 2 Ready." He told me it was the tune I asked for but was set up to work with a pulley as well. I do have a 96AKI tune that I've never used. I asked for that in case I hit the track. They have 96 at the pumps there; higher too, but I certainly don't need 110 for anything.

I expect I could replace the 91AKI tune directly with the 96 one. The device programs the ECU with a "file." During the process, the ECU is erased, then then new file loaded and verified. It doesn't matter what file was there before. The only thing that might care is the handheld device. It has some logic to prevent someone from buying one tune and then loading it in multiple vehicles. There might be something else that it can't pull a file from a car unless it was last used to upload a stock file. I can't remember the details, but primarily because I haven't tried to defeat any of those measures.

If there are any aspects I've missed or mischaracterized, I'm sure the fact-checkers will be along to point out my mistakes.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:46 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Since I don't have a "Stage 1" and "Stage 2" tunes I haven't done precisely that sequence. I think it accurate to say that my tune was "Stage 2 Ready." He told me it was the tune I asked for but was set up to work with a pulley as well. I do have a 96AKI tune that I've never used. I asked for that in case I hit the track. They have 96 at the pumps there; higher too, but I certainly don't need 110 for anything.

I expect I could replace the 91AKI tune directly with the 96 one. The device programs the ECU with a "file." During the process, the ECU is erased, then then new file loaded and verified. It doesn't matter what file was there before. The only thing that might care is the handheld device. It has some logic to prevent someone from buying one tune and then loading it in multiple vehicles. There might be something else that it can't pull a file from a car unless it was last used to upload a stock file. I can't remember the details, but primarily because I haven't tried to defeat any of those measures.

If there are any aspects I've missed or mischaracterized, I'm sure the fact-checkers will be along to point out my mistakes.
The new Stage 2 file was programmed with the data from the original file, so I think all is fine, and I have nice time 100-200kmh, round about 6,75 seconds

Old 05-01-2021, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
The new Stage 2 file was programmed with the data from the original file, so I think all is fine, and I have nice time 100-200kmh, round about 6,75 seconds
Everything starts with the original, and has modifications to suit. I've been told that dealers can do "partial updates" which can then "brick" the ECU, so either reflash to stock before service or tell your service advisor to NOT apply software updates.

I'd expect the 100-200kph range would be where the tune would really shine.