Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity ZF8HP70 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Velocity ZF8HP70 Tune

I see VAP now have a upgrade for the ZF8HP70 transmission. Has anyone installed the tune? If so would you recommend it?

https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...ission-tuning/

Old 07-17-2020, 11:06 AM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting. I am planning on VAP ECU and pulley in the near future. However, I really like how Jag has tune the automatic transmission. Not sure if I would want it to change. Smooth when cruising and very fast when driving aggressively. I wonder if Stuart from Velocity would comment? Not sure how to tag him but he'll usually weigh in on Velocity threads.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah no info here yet, I'd buy it just to enable launch control on a base V6. Also maybe programmable shift speeds?

Old 07-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I see VAP now have a upgrade for the ZF8HP70 transmission. Has anyone installed the tune? If so would you recommend it?

What is coolest about this deal....Is... if you choose that you need the MPV device added, the cost is only $695, but if you say you already have the device and just need the tune...the price is $995 I am thinking they have a coding error ..

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 07-17-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

Nancy Pelosi must have written this product description. You find out what it does after you buy it.

The following 3 users liked this post by RGPV6S:
J444G (10-09-2021), madmax1911 (07-17-2020), Roman85 (08-11-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Nancy Pelosi must have written this product description. You find out what it does after you buy it.
Yep, it would be nice if they told us what it does.
VAP offer great products and unmatched service, but their prices can be a little steep compared to others (I don't mind paying a bit extra for their service and follow up) and their web site leaves a lot to be desired.
And for us mob in Oz the Scuderia Autoart site we are directed to is hopeless, it shows a few parts I am not at all interested in and none of the parts I might be interested in!

Old 07-17-2020, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

I also see Paul Busby is offering a tune.

https://viezu.com/blog/all-new-jaguar-gearbox-tuning

Old 07-17-2020, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

I also see Paul Busby is offering a tune.

https://viezu.com/blog/all-new-jaguar-gearbox-tuning
Which raises the question, who cracked it first?
Viezu, VAP or someone else?
And the secondary question, if and how do the tunes differ?
So many questions, so few answers!

Old 07-17-2020, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I’ve figured out how to tune the control module for the MT. It involves a bottle of Single Malt, but unfortunately diminishes shifting performance. I’ll need a lot more bench time before the mod is ready for the market.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:33 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
... their web site leaves a lot to be desired.
Given the choice between a great product with a crap web site, or a great web site with a crap product, I know which I'd choose!

Old 07-18-2020, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Given the choice between a great product with a crap web site, or a great web site with a crap product, I know which I'd choose!
+1. If you need detail and clarification, it’s simple enough to contact Stuart.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rgpv6s
nancy pelosi must have written this product description. You find out what it does after you buy it.
hahahahahah

Old 07-18-2020, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

My assumption would be that this is just a short term placeholder that they're still working on. I'm sure Stuart will provide a full description once available. Frustrating that you'd require a second tuning device outside of the ECU flash tuner, but I imagine that's due to the integrated TCM design of the ZF 8-speed box.

It'd be very nice if this gearbox tune could improve the launching capability of the vehicle. Launching off idle isn't the most effective way down the 1320.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:22 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
What is coolest about this deal....Is... if you choose that you need the MPV device added, the cost is only $695, but if you say you already have the device and just need the tune...the price is $995 I am thinking they have a coding error ..

DC

The device MPVI2 is from HPTuners. Some ppl already own the device from tuning other vehicles they may have owned. So, it wouldn’t be fare to charge these clients for a 2nd device..which is why we made it a optional choice to pay for just software or MPVI2+software. The HPTuners device and credits are not cheap, which reflects the price increase when selecting to add MPVI2.

We’ve had numerous amounts of ppl inquire if we could provide a tune for the trans via the HPT device. That product page is for these clients to purchase the product.

We do plan on making a public launch for the product. However, currently we’re not ready to answer all the technical details that would follow. I could tell you the basics like faster shifts, higher redline, increased clamping pressure..but to someone for technically advanced, they would ask how much faster are shifts, would trap speed increase, would 1/4 mile times drop and by how much..etc. We don’t have the research complete to answer those questions. Currently working to rent out our local airport runway for testing.

Stay tuned...

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
evilftypedw (07-28-2020), JgaXkr (07-18-2020), XJ8JR (07-20-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
The device MPVI2 is from HPTuners. Some ppl already own the device from tuning other vehicles they may have owned. So, it wouldn’t be fare to charge these clients for a 2nd device..which is why we made it a optional choice to pay for just software or MPVI2+software. The HPTuners device and credits are not cheap, which reflects the price increase when selecting to add MPVI2.
Chris, the comment on the device price was not questioning if it should be more expensive with or without the device. The initial version of page had the drop down price logic reversed (i.e. it was cheaper to add in the additional device than it being cheaper to not need the device).

Old 07-18-2020, 04:29 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Chris, the comment on the device price was not questioning if it should be more expensive with or without the device. The initial version of page had the drop down price logic reversed (i.e. it was cheaper to add in the additional device than it being cheaper to not need the device).
indeed a glitch on site..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 07-18-2020, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
would trap speed increase, would 1/4 mile times drop and by how much
I'm happy to get this for you

Anything to drop into the 10s....

Last edited by Stohlen; 07-18-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:45 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Snippet from https://viezu.com/blog/all-new-jaguar-gearbox-tuning
We can comfortably, and confidently, bring this lower limitation of 740nm torque up to an impressive 900nm torque. This brings it in line with our highest tuned remapped engine outputs, whilst remaining well below the OEM limiters of 1300nm.

Taking the VIEZU Gearbox Remap even further, we have adjusted and modified the gear shifting speed of the box. This is done through several complex changes in the transmission controller calibration, but the simple explanation is that the torque/throttle reduction times during gear shifting have been reduced. This has had a 0.2 second improvement on stock performance, data based on ¼ mile testing in controlled conditions

You really must have this gearbox tune done to totally appreciate the significance of the change in overall driveability and performance. The bonus of faster shifting is you spend more time on power. This translates into a faster exit speed on the ¼ mile, with an improvement of an 8 mph higher exit speed.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jfautomotive.co.uk/?gcli...RoC5tQQAvD_BwE

https://www.jfautomotive.co.uk/case-...ecu-remapping/

these guys have been tuning the gearboxes on the f type for a while now, £345

What to expect from our Gearbox Tuning:

• Faster Gear Shift Speed
  • Torque Limits Raised
  • Increased Red Line
  • Launch Control
  • Faster Responding Gearbox
  • Optimised Shift Pattern
  • More MPG
  • Custom Written Software
  • Insurance Backed Guarantee
  • 30 Day No Quibble Money Back Guarantee
  • Reliable & Safe
  • Less Gearbox Clutch Wear

Increased shift response

The shift response has been increased by up to 20% giving a smoother transition, leading to a decrease in unnecessary clutch slippage under full load accelerations, which reduces clutch wear.

With increased shift time you also get an improved paddle-reaction-time by up to 40% in S-mode.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
8 mph trap speed in the quarter mile is a massive difference. I don't know if that's a truly realistic expectation; questionable claims have always been my issue with Viezu. I've always felt like they fudge numbers to look better.

Quick Reply: Velocity ZF8HP70 Tune