F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP 58mm Upper Pulley for Jaguar Range Rover AJ126 3.0L V6 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 02:48 PM
Sponsor
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts
Default VelocityAP 58mm Upper Pulley for Jaguar Range Rover AJ126 3.0L V6 Engines

Hello All! I know a bunch of you have been waiting for this for a long time. The results are in. Expect around 475BHP & 470ft/lbs on dual pulleys. I've been driving our Test Mule XE around for a little over a week and I can tell you this thing is a torque monster with the dual pulley setup. Just gets up and goes in any gear, with a ton of kick left up top. Attached a couple graphs, one shows total delta from stock, to dual pulleys. The other one, the difference between our Stage 2 (Crank Pulley + Tune) and what you'll see when adding the upper pulley if you are already at Stage 2. 58m upper pulleys are now available on pre-order, with shipments expected to dispatch around March 30th. If you have previously purchased ECU Tuning + Crank pulley from us, we will update your ECU Tuning file to Stage 3 free of charge:

The announcement our V6 customers have been waiting for! In 2021 we developed and released a 2-piece Griptec pulley upgrade for V8 JLR customers which helped combat slight belt slippages on cars fitted with dual pulley upgrades during high load, high RPM conditions. Following this development, we acquired our own Jaguar XE to use for development & testing of a similar option for V6 customers. It simply wasn't worthwhile to fit a smaller upper pulley to the V6 cars prior to the Griptec design because the JLR tensioner design leaves less than optimal belt contact on the upper pulley. We are pleased to officially release our new 2-piece upper pulley option, including the GripTec coating. In combination with our crank pulley this kit should typically show 475BHP & 470ft/lbs on good quality pump fuel (no timing correction.) With dual pulley setups, fuel quality is critical. In markets with poor quality fuels or winter mixes with stabilizers, addition of Boostane Pro may be required to achieve zero timing correction.

The 2-piece design also helps with installation. The JLR upper pulley calls for a LOT of interference between the shaft & pulley to stay on. In the past we even had shops who determined that our pulley had too much interference and milled a couple thou out of the center bore, only to have the pulley come flying off. This interference makes for a challenging install as it needs to be properly heated to a minimum temperature and not just in the contact surface but evenly throughout in order to expand fully. By using a 2-piece design, the amount of material that needs heating is greatly reduced and this makes the process much quicker, and easier to get the required heat throughout the entirety of the material.

Pulley (select 58mm option): https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...-upper-pulley/

Tuning Package: https://www.velocityap.com/product/3...26-ecu-tuning/

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Stuart@VelocityAP; 02-22-2022 at 06:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Luc Lapierre (06-13-2022), Panthro (06-20-2024), Sparky H (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Hello All! I know a bunch of you have been waiting for this for a long time. The results are in. Expect around 475BHP & 470ft/lbs on dual pulleys. I've been driving our Test Mule XE around for a little over a week and I can tell you this thing is a torque monster with the dual pulley setup. Just gets up and goes in any gear, with a ton of kick left up top. Attached a couple graphs, one shows total delta from stock, to dual pulleys. The other one, the difference between our Stage 2 (Crank Pulley + Tune) and what you'll see when adding the upper pulley if you are already at Stage 2. 58m upper pulleys are now available on pre-order, with shipments expected to dispatch around March 30th. If you have previously purchased ECU Tuning + Crank pulley from us, we will update your ECU Tuning file to Stage 3 free of charge:

The announcement our V6 customers have been waiting for! In 2021 we developed and released a 2-piece Griptec pulley upgrade for V8 JLR customers which helped combat slight belt slippages on cars fitted with dual pulley upgrades during high load, high RPM conditions. Following this development, we acquired our own Jaguar XE to use for development & testing of a similar option for V6 customers. It simply wasn't worthwhile to fit a smaller upper pulley to the V6 cars prior to the Griptec design because the JLR tensioner design leaves less than optimal belt contact on the upper pulley. We are pleased to officially release our new 2-piece upper pulley option, including the GripTec coating. In combination with our crank pulley this kit should typically show 475BHP & 470ft/lbs on good quality pump fuel (no timing correction.) With dual pulley setups, fuel quality is critical. In markets with poor quality fuels or winter mixes with stabilizers, addition of Boostane Pro may be required to achieve zero timing correction.

The 2-piece design also helps with installation. The JLR upper pulley calls for a LOT of interference between the shaft & pulley to stay on. In the past we even had shops who determined that our pulley had too much interference and milled a couple thou out of the center bore, only to have the pulley come flying off. This interference makes for a challenging install as it needs to be properly heated to a minimum temperature and not just in the contact surface but evenly throughout in order to expand fully. By using a 2-piece design, the amount of material that needs heating is greatly reduced and this makes the process much quicker, and easier to get the required heat throughout the entirety of the material.

Pulley (select 58mm option): https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...-upper-pulley/

Tuning Package: https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...pulley/HHHeDsd

Those are some REEEALLY nice looking pulleys!

DC

Old 02-22-2022, 03:57 PM
Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

@Stuart@VelocityAP

Error 404 on the second hyperlink. Hopefully you see this message in time to still be able to edit the original post.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by MoJo88
@Stuart@VelocityAP

Error 404 on the second hyperlink. Hopefully you see this message in time to still be able to edit the original post.
Still 404 for me as well.
Stuart, I already have the larger crank pulley and Stage 2 tune with the associated replacement belt and tensioner, if I went with this smaller SC pulley as well would I need a new belt and/or new tensioner as well?
And does this new SC pulley come with fitting instructions?
Last but not least, one or two members here have asked what the increase in power and torque would be with just the new SC pulley (ie retain the stock crank/lower pulley) and no new tune, or would a tune be needed and/or a tune would release more neddies and torques?

Old 02-22-2022, 04:30 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Still 404 for me as well.
Stuart, I already have the larger crank pulley and Stage 2 tune with the associated replacement belt and tensioner, if I went with this smaller SC pulley as well would I need a new belt and/or new tensioner as well?
And does this new SC pulley come with fitting instructions?
Last but not least, one or two members here have asked what the increase in power and torque would be with just the new SC pulley (ie retain the stock crank/lower pulley) and no new tune, or would a tune be needed and/or a tune would release more neddies and torques?
The link is updated. No, you won't need a new belt or tensioner. Detailed instructions are included, but this is something we recommend professional installation for. If you fit the upper pulley without altering the tune to match, it's pretty much pointless and will probably throw codes. However, we don't charge you to update your tuning file to add the upper pulley, we update it for free - the 'Stage 3' file is included in the price of the pulley.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

The link is updated. No, you won't need a new belt or tensioner. Detailed instructions are included, but this is something we recommend professional installation for. If you fit the upper pulley without altering the tune to match, it's pretty much pointless and will probably throw codes. However, we don't charge you to update your tuning file to add the upper pulley, we update it for free - the 'Stage 3' file is included in the price of the pulley.
Thanks Stuart, that answers all my questions except one.
Which isn't really my question I ask it only on behalf of others as I have no intention of going back to a stock lower/crank pulley.
That question is, say I had a stock AJ126 (either 340 PS or 380 PS), what power and torque can I expect from fitting just this new upper pulley?
Or would I need a tune as well? Would it throw codes without a tune?
Or would I not "need" a tune as well to prevent codes and/or provide an increase but a tune would give even more?
I understand you haven't tested a car with just the new upper pulley and you probably don't have these figures or even a "new upper pulley only" tune, I'm just trying to pre-empt queries from others.
I also understand it is possible even likely you will say that a new smaller upper pulley by itself (with or without an associated tune) would be pointless due to minimal "bang for your buck".

Old 02-22-2022, 04:55 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Stuart:

Just to be crystal clear, if I don't have the tune or the previous crank pulley and belt that went along with it, all I need is the new upper and lower pulleys and I don't need a new belt or the tune, correct?

Old 02-22-2022, 04:57 PM
Sponsor

Thanks Stuart, that answers all my questions except one.
Which isn't really my question I ask it only on behalf of others as I have no intention of going back to a stock lower/crank pulley.
That question is, say I had a stock AJ126 (either 340 PS or 380 PS), what power and torque can I expect from fitting just this new upper pulley?
Pretty much zero.

Or would I need a tune as well?
Yes

Would it throw codes without a tune?
Yes

Or would I not "need" a tune as well to prevent codes and/or provide an increase but a tune would give even more?
You will 'need' a tune both to prevent codes and increase power.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 05:00 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by rbsj
Stuart:

Just to be crystal clear, if I don't have the tune or the previous crank pulley and belt that went along with it, all I need is the new upper and lower pulleys and I don't need a new belt or the tune, correct?
If you do not have a tune, you would need:
ECU Tune
Lower Pulley
Belt (Included)
Upper Pulley

If you use the link provided, and select both upper and lower pulley you will get all the parts you need: https://www.velocityap.com/product/3...26-ecu-tuning/

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-22-2022, 06:33 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Stuart, thanks for taking the time to create this for the V6. I bought the V8 Griptec pulley and was going to throw it on my car but decided not to a few weeks ago (it's on marketplace if any V8 owners are interested) but now that you have one that increases performance for the V6.... it's actually worth the effort. Glad I sat on it because I would have been really pissed at myself if I went ahead with the bigger V8 pulley swap. I'll be ordering one shortly and looking forward to installing it later this spring.

In terms of the quality fuel, 93 or 91? I always have access to 93 and not too concerned about that but just curious what you define as "quality".

I'm also in the process of installing a WMI kit. I've got a 2.5 gallon tank and in my case, it's highly unlikely I will be in a situation where I don't have meth in the tank. Would you suggest getting a tune for the WMI as well? I have your data logger and access to a place where I can run it and get some real life data.

Between the Stage 3, 200 cell cats and WMI, I'm wondering where the HP and Torque for the V6 might end up at. Do you think 500hp+ is realistic for this engine or am I looking at getting this engine built to handle that?

Old 02-22-2022, 06:43 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by datriani
In terms of the quality fuel, 93 or 91? I always have access to 93 and not too concerned about that but just curious what you define as "quality"
Very hard to assess fuels from arm's length. Washington State 92 is better than our BC 94. Winter mixes tend to make less power, even with the same Octane rating probably just due to the stablizers. Most US and European 93 Octane/98 RON fuels are pretty good. If we have datalogs of your car we can see how much timing is being corrected and advise if addition of a little Boostane Pro would help.

Between the Stage 3, 200 cell cats and WMI, I'm wondering where the HP and Torque for the V6 might end up at. Do you think 500hp+ is realistic for this engine or am I looking at getting this engine built to handle that?[/QUOTE] Yeah you could be knocking on the door of 500. We don't have any reason to believe that this dual pulley setup won't stand up well, similar engines like the Audi 3.0L SC are pushing over 500BHP with adequate supporting mods and not seeing major issues.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-22-2022, 06:44 PM

@Stuart@VelocityAP

Lol, not even an acknowledgement or a thanks for the pointer.

FYI, the "fixed" link is just a duplicate of the first one and not actually leading to a tuning package page.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

@Stuart@VelocityAP

FYI, the "fixed" link is just a duplicate of the first one and not actually leading to a tuning package page.
Tuning package page here: https://www.velocityap.com/product/3...26-ecu-tuning/

Old 02-22-2022, 06:52 PM
Sponsor

@Stuart@VelocityAP

Fixed for real this time, and thank-you.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-22-2022, 06:55 PM

Thanks OzXFR, I knew where the page was I was just trying to help the OP with the initial post as from what I can remember about the forum, you only have 24 hours to make any edits. Seeing as this should be quite an important and engaging thread, just wanted the initial post to be accurate for them

Old 02-22-2022, 06:58 PM

Fixed for real this time, and thank-you.
You're welcome. Your post only came through after I'd replied to OzXFR but my reasoning is directly above.

Good product! Good luck with it.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:18 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

If we have datalogs of your car we can see how much timing is being corrected and advise if addition of a little Boostane Pro would help.
Sounds good and thanks for the reply

Old 02-22-2022, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks OzXFR, I knew where the page was I was just trying to help the OP with the initial post as from what I can remember about the forum, you only have 24 hours to make any edits. Seeing as this should be quite an important and engaging thread, just wanted the initial post to be accurate for them
Yep, I figured that was where you were coming from but I thought it would be a help for some to post the correct link anyway.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Stuart@VelocityAP

Would this smaller pulley bring the sc rpm even closer to the manufacturer's limits? I remembered some talk that the larger crank pulley brought the sc rpm very close to the limits

I've the crank pulley and gearbox tune. By changing to this pulley, do I need a new belt? the belt I'm on is 1461.

I assume your stage 3 tune will also factor in the gearbox tune?

Is the tune strictly for octane 93? can it run on octane 91?

Last edited by darkhorze; 02-23-2022 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by darkhorze
@Stuart@VelocityAP

Would this smaller pulley bring the sc rpm even closer to the manufacturer's limits? I remembered some talk that the larger crank pulley brought the sc rpm very close to the limits

I've the crank pulley and gearbox tune. By changing to this pulley, do I need a new belt? the belt I'm on is 1461.

I assume your stage 3 tune will also factor in the gearbox tune?

Is the tune strictly for octane 93? can it run on octane 91?
No new belt needed, Stuart already answered my question on this, see post #5.
Dunno about 93 vs 91 but I suspect 91 would still be OK.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP 58mm Upper Pulley for Jaguar Range Rover AJ126 3.0L V6 Engines