F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP 58mm Upper Pulley for Jaguar Range Rover AJ126 3.0L V6 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 01:05 AM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I don't know exactly how many MT owners there are on here who also got the Stage 2 (can't be very many).
I'm one. I've only had mine since last September and it's been great so far.
I think there are a few others MT owners who've been running Stage 2 for quite a while without major issues, but don't quote me (been away from the forum for a bit; not totally up-to-date).

Anyway, I figure: what harm could 475/470 do that 450/440 wouldn't have done already? Would it be just fine (under the foot of a competent and mechanically sympathetic driver, of course) or would it be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

It is damn enticing though...
I agree with you how enticing it is, especially since it's relatively cheap for the upper SC pulley after already having the tune. The Stage 2 tune already exceeds the torque limit by ~90ft/lbs, or 25-26%. Stretching it to 470ft-lbs exceeds the design limit by 120ft-lbs/34%. I am not sure what tolerances ZF designs their transmissions, there is usually some head room (as we can see with our Stage 2 tunes), but to what extent nobody else can say.

I'm sure if you never do a burnout or clutch drop of any kind, and limit launches you would be fine. As the designed torque limit probably takes into account some level of abuse from the 'average' consumer. However, the risk of an accidental clutch drop etc scares me a bit.

I think the main thing that makes it prohibitive for me is the additional installation steps (heating, etc).

Last edited by takeapieandrun; 06-14-2022 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Speaking of the v6 case: from what I’ve read on this thread and on their site, it sounds like VAP is now able to wring out an extra 25hp/30tq on top of what the crank pulley offers by virtue of their new SC pulley design (griptec)?

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.
Does that then take the output to 475+ hp?

Old 06-15-2022, 05:53 PM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Does that then take the output to 475+ hp?
Yes. 475 HP. All the details are in the OP.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:25 PM
Received 213 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
I'm in the process of trying to get my stage 3 installed. I won't be doing any 1/4 miles for time but am planning on getting my car dyno'd before (completely stock '16 S manual) and after the stage 3 tune and will report back.

Any updates?

Old 07-04-2022, 09:17 AM
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Any updates?
I'm doing my dyno test on Wednesday to document the as is at 45K miles and on Friday getting the pulleys installed. Next week, the VAP tune guy gets back from vacation (and will likely be a bit backed up). So, hoping to have the tune sorted out within the next two weeks and once done, I'm going to have the car dyno tested again to document the results and will report here.

The following users liked this post:
Jamal302 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 11:56 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

keep us posted please

I'm doing my dyno test on Wednesday to document the as is at 45K miles and on Friday getting the pulleys installed. Next week, the VAP tune guy gets back from vacation (and will likely be a bit backed up). So, hoping to have the tune sorted out within the next two weeks and once done, I'm going to have the car dyno tested again to document the results and will report here.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:20 PM
Sponsor
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

Hi Luc,

I think we shipped out your upper pulley this week. If you are in BC, you will probably struggle to achieve commanded ignition timing unless you can get some Washington State fuels. Our fuel in BC is very poor.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 07-08-2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Hi Luc,

I think we shipped out your upper pulley this week. If you are in BC, you will probably struggle to achieve commanded ignition timing unless you can get some Washington State fuels. Our fuel in BC is very poor.
Yes I am in BC (as per my shipping/billing address and my forum info).
I don't see myself going out of my way to get fuel from Washington State.

What do you recommend?

EDIT #1: I see that there's a station selling e85 at the pump about 5 clicks down the road (lucky me) -- would it be better just to get Stage 4?

EDIT #2: I just re-read the original post; I see you mentioned adding Boostane Pro to inferior fuels as a corrective measure. I'm not averse to this. What, if any, might the long-term considerations/drawbacks be? Thanks again.

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 07-08-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:26 PM
Sponsor

Yes I am in BC (as per my shipping/billing address and my forum info).
I don't see myself going out of my way to get fuel from Washington State.

What do you recommend?

EDIT #1: I see that there's a station selling e85 at the pump about 5 clicks down the road (lucky me) -- would it be better just to get Stage 4?

EDIT #2: I just re-read the original post; I see you mentioned adding Boostane Pro to inferior fuels as a corrective measure. I'm not averse to this. What, if any, might the long-term considerations/drawbacks be? Thanks again.
For pump fuel - yes, we have found that Boostane Pro is a good option for bringing our BC Fuels up to the type of results we'd see on 98 RON in Europe, or even 93 pump fuels in most US States.

If you have E85 available... it's up to you but there's just so much more power available on E85 that to me that's a no brainer. Especially if the per litre costs are a lot lower than 94 pump fuel!

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-11-2022, 01:38 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

My turbo car uses 30% more E85 than gas, so for it to make $ sense, it needs to be at least 30% cheaper, which it isn't around here. That said, for the supercharged F-Type, I don't know the increase required for E85... VAP, what did you find?

For racing, sure, no question, but for use on the street, all the time, well, that's up to you guys.

Last edited by kb58; 07-11-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by kb58
My turbo car uses 30% more E85 than gas, so for it to make $ sense, it needs to be at least 30% cheaper per gallon or liter. That said, for the supercharged F-Type, I don't know the increase required for E85... VAP, you guys must know, how much did injector on-time need to increase?

For racing, sure, no question, but for use on the street all the time, well, that's up to you guys.
That's definitely a Chris question. I'm not smart enough to answer that.

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-11-2022, 06:41 PM

For pump fuel - yes, we have found that Boostane Pro is a good option for bringing our BC Fuels up to the type of results we'd see on 98 RON in Europe, or even 93 pump fuels in most US States.
OK, sounds good!
Question: What about the relatively new Shell 93 that was introduced to the Lower Mainland a few months back? (not sure if it's available elsewhere in the province; haven't been in the interior since last Sept.) Any chance that'd be up to snuff?

EDIT: just downloaded the Shell app and checked, apparently it's only the BC Lower Mainland that gets Shell 93 so far (in the whole country).

If you have E85 available... it's up to you but there's just so much more power available on E85 that to me that's a no brainer. Especially if the per litre costs are a lot lower than 94 pump fuel!
My thoughts exactly!
Only things holding me back: #1 availability doesn't seem entirely reliable at this station (or others); #2 limits the range of my F Type since e85 hard to come by (very few places to get it AFAIK).

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 07-11-2022 at 07:01 PM. Reason: new info
Old 07-11-2022, 09:03 PM

Chris or Stuart, can you please comment over in this (unfortunately politically-charged) thread about the consequences of running untuned F-Types on E15?

Thanks,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...72/e15-257915/

Old 07-12-2022, 12:45 PM
Sponsor

OK, sounds good!
Question: What about the relatively new Shell 93 that was introduced to the Lower Mainland a few months back? (not sure if it's available elsewhere in the province; haven't been in the interior since last Sept.) Any chance that'd be up to snuff?

EDIT: just downloaded the Shell app and checked, apparently it's only the BC Lower Mainland that gets Shell 93 so far (in the whole country).

My thoughts exactly!
Only things holding me back: #1 availability doesn't seem entirely reliable at this station (or others); #2 limits the range of my F Type since e85 hard to come by (very few places to get it AFAIK).
This guy has a great channel where he has actually tested our BC Fuels, along with Washington Fuels:
Original 'Summer Blend' Test:

And yes, Shell 93 is MUCH better:

I would also add this - the difference in results with fuel quality is going to be much larger the further you modify. For example on a stock pulley FType with just our tune, on some of our Poorer BC fuels you might see.... let's say a 4-5 degree gap between commanded and actual ignition timing. However, on a dual pulley car, where we are also commanding more timing under optimal conditions, you might be up around 10 degrees or more. So the gap between good fuel and bad fuel performance is higher on the more modified car.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (07-12-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger pulley installation/heating instructions

Hi all,

Does anyone have any installation instructions for the supercharger pulley? Looking to get both upper and lower pulleys installed today (in about an hour or so) on my 2017 XF, found a video online describing the process for the lower pulley, but can't find much info on the installation of the upper pulley. Any advice for what temperature and how long to heat it for would be greatly appreciated! I noticed @Stuart@VelocityAP mentioned earlier in this thread that

Detailed instructions are included, but this is something we recommend professional installation for
but my supercharger pulley didn't come with any instructions. I emailed VAP but I think they're closed because it's a Saturday.

@Luc Lapierre @Therock88 or if you know anyone else in this forum that's installed the upper pulley that might be able to provide some advice, that would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2022, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by kairos
Hi all,

Does anyone have any installation instructions for the supercharger pulley? Looking to get both upper and lower pulleys installed today (in about an hour or so) on my 2017 XF, found a video online describing the process for the lower pulley, but can't find much info on the installation of the upper pulley. Any advice for what temperature and how long to heat it for would be greatly appreciated! I noticed @Stuart@VelocityAP mentioned earlier in this thread that

but my supercharger pulley didn't come with any instructions. I emailed VAP but I think they're closed because it's a Saturday.

@Luc Lapierre @Therock88 or if you know anyone else in this forum that's installed the upper pulley that might be able to provide some advice, that would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance!
I was away for the weekend and didn't see till now and I'm only posting this to potentially help others. As a teaser I have my post Stage 3 install dyno test on Wednesday afternoon and will be should be able to report the pre and post install results about 48 hours from now.

Related to the upper pulley install instructions from VAP, I could not get them either and as a result I couldn't find anyone that was willing to do the install in the Chicago area. However, at that point, Stuart at VAP did connect me with the Mancuso Collision & Custom here locally who had done other VAP installs. Billy, the mechanic there (and Mancuso in general) was great, but as Billy showed me, there was not enough room to remove the original pulley and get the new GripTec one on with the supercharger in place. So, they he had to pull the supercharger. All day job (for everything) and more $$$. The upside is that at 46K miles my car now has the supercharger fluid completely replaced. The downside is, had I known that the supercharger needed to get pulled I definitely would have order the aluminum coolant pipes that are now available and had those replaced at the same time (and maybe the water pump too).

The one comment I have after the supercharger work is that the engine runs much smoother now. Not sure if that is the supercharger fluid change, the new GripTec upper pulley or both.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:59 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by kairos
Hi all,

You'll need a pulley removal tool (most shops will have a generic one that will work - there is a Schwaben Audi 3.0L tool that works well if you pack out with a couple washers.) The supercharger snout doesn't require removal.

The installation of our pulley is pretty simple, the hub gets separated from the outer pulley and heated to 350 degrees F. Hot plate works, so does MAP gas. That slides on flush with the end of the shaft and then can be quenched with water.

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-25-2022, 04:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I borrowed a loaner tool from AutoZone that worked perfectly with the supercharger in place

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ler/536914_0_0

Old 07-25-2022, 05:16 PM

...Stuart at VAP did connect me with the Mancuso Collision & Custom here locally who had done other VAP installs. Billy, the mechanic there (and Mancuso in general) was great, but as Billy showed me, there was not enough room to remove the original pulley and get the new GripTec one on with the supercharger in place. So, they he had to pull the supercharger...
So it looks like you already had the work done and they pulled the supercharger. Since they apparently worked with VAP previously, it's strange that they didn't know that they didn't need to pull it, and charged you for unneeded work. Maybe your car was the first that they'd done for the upper pulley.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Default Results of my VAP Stage 3 tune

Just got my car dyno tested on the same place (URW - Crystal Lake, IL) and MD Mustang dyno that did the first test 3 weeks ago.

I was pretty happy to see that my '16 car with 46k miles before the Stage 3 tested at 377 hp and 364 lb-ft torque. Pretty much as advertised by Jaguar for the F Type S.

The results after the Stage 3 crank pulley, upper GripTec pulley and tune tested at 434 hp and 423 lb-ft torque. So, I gained 57 hp and 59 lb-ft torque with the Stage 3.

I have attached a copy of the dyno results here. The dashed line are pre-test and the solid lines are post-test. Blue is torque and red is horse power.

Attached Files

Quick Reply: VelocityAP 58mm Upper Pulley for Jaguar Range Rover AJ126 3.0L V6 Engines