Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Black Friday Deals 2016

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Really dumb question, but I've never used a tune before.

A programming unit attaches to your ODB port and you upload the tune that way?
(can someone provide a video link that would show the process - or another thread?)

Say if I wanted a mild 91-92 octane tune and bought the 200 cell downpipe and it threw codes - is getting a 'fix' as easy as receiving an attachment via email and then putting the new tune on a SD card/uploading again?

When it is time to take the car in for service at the dealer do you re-load the factory tune back in?

I am sure there are many others that would consider getting a tune but they are as ignorant as I am about the process and are too meek to ask.
No such thing as a dumb question, but certainly a lot of dumb answers available.
1. The first step with the tuning device is that VAP sets it up for your particular car and then sends it to you. You then plug it in to the ODB port and download the OEM tune. The handheld device leads you through this process with simple instructions. You then take the tuning device back to your desk or laptop and pull off the file. You then email the file to VAP and they then work their magic. The file they return to you via email will have the OEM tune and the new tune. The device can actually hold the OEM tune plus 4 or 5 new tunes, any of which you can choose to upload into the ECU. Again, the device will lead you thorough this.

2. If additional tweaking is necessary for extreme boost levels, 200 cats, etc., VAP will email you a new file to load into the ECU via the tuning device attached to the ODB port. No SD cards or USB ports involved. This is all done with the engine off and the ignition on.

3. If you were just doing a tune, you could simply load the OEM file back onto the ECU every time you take in the car to the dealer, but that isn't necessarily foolproof. Trace evidence of the tuning might still be evident. And, if you have 200 cats and revert back to an OEM tune, you'll be delivering the car back to the dealer with the check engine light on.

4. The scariest part for most folks is that the drive train warranty is put at risk. Accepting that risk is part of the cost of tuning the car. So far, no one has had any failures related to pulleys and tuning, however, one individual actually had to pay for a new ECU that the dealer killed when they did some reprogramming related to the convertible top, and then blamed the failure on a previous tune.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Stuart, I'm interested in the tune + crank pulley kit for my 2014 V6 S, but I have two questions:
1. In the list above you say "Jaguar F-Type V6S Supercharged ECU Tune", does that include the oversize crank pulley or not?
2. Do you post to Australia, and if so can you give me a postage cost estimate?
Hello and thanks for your interest.

1. The ECU Tune includes the hand held programmer and the tune. The crank pulley is a separate product, which is not part of the sale.

2. Yes we can ship to Australia, think you emailed me so I can get back to you there.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 11-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Hello and thanks for your interest.

1. The ECU Tune includes the hand held programmer and the tune. The crank pulley is a separate product, which is not part of the sale.

2. Yes we can ship to Australia, think you emailed me so I can get back to you there.
Thanks Stuart.
A couple more questions (sorry!):
1. Can I get three tunes on the programmer for the same reduced price, ie the OEM tune, the without oversized crank pulley tune and the with oversized crank pulley tune?
2. If yes, can I buy the crank pulley separately and/or later, fit it then apply the "with pulley" tune?

Old 11-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ek993
So, for my V8S - can I opt for the V8R tune?

And how complex is the lower pulley install?
Yes, absolutely you can go for the V8R tune although if you're looking to stay on factory settings for warranty reasons I would recommend the SVR/P7 as it is another 25BHP.

Lower Pulley install is okay, does really require removal of the front clip. However the crank pulley is not sale priced at this time.

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by XFR4Nov
With the V6 Base ECU tune, any change in the exhaust note/ pops and crackles?
More prominent or about the same? No active exhaust on my base.
We haven't really had any reports either way, so I would say most likely it's about the same. On your V6 Base, we can take you from 340BHP up to 416BHP with this tune.

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Do you guys offer the lower pulley as well or just the upper one? I think I'll just change the lower pulley... don't want the headache I've been hearing of dealing with the upper.
We do offer the crank pulley at $795 but at this time it is only available at retail price.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Dremorg (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lommi
I'd love to order the base V6 ECU tune + crank pulley - would it be possible to make a deal for that?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
We can offer the tune at 40% off, but for now the crank pulley is at retail price. So it would be $1392 for them both.

Email me at Stuart@VelocityAP.com and I can get you a shipping cost.

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Yes, absolutely you can go for the V8R tune although if you're looking to stay on factory settings for warranty reasons I would recommend the SVR/P7 as it is another 25BHP.

Lower Pulley install is okay, does really require removal of the front clip. However the crank pulley is not sale priced at this time.
Stuart, we had no issue doing the r&r on the crank pulley from underneath without removing body parts. The upper pulley certainly did require nose removal.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If you read the offer closely, it is the lower crankcase pulley that Stuart is offering.
So is it the upper supercharger pulley they are offering with this deal, or is it the lower crank pulley? Next time, instead of being a wise ***, allow the person who the question was addressed to answer. Thanks.

Last edited by Dremorg; 11-28-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Stuart, we had no issue doing the r&r on the crank pulley from underneath without removing body parts. The upper pulley certainly did require nose removal.
Even better. Hopefully most shops are competent enough to do this way too.

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

So is it the upper supercharger pulley they are offering with this deal, or is it the lower crank pulley? Next time, instead of being a wise ***, allow the person who the question was addressed to answer. Thanks.
Wasn't trying to be a smart ***. I thought what Stuart posted was clear.

Obviously was not, as I misread it.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-29-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Sponsor

It is the upper, supercharger snout pulley that is on sale. The crank pulley we are not offering as part of the sale, it is at $795.

www.velocityap.com

Dremorg (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi Stuart how much extra bhp should i expect with my state of tune with the lower pulley.

Cheers
Tim

Old 11-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Just ordered a tune for my V6S. Thought I would take advantage of the Black Friday deal.

Don't think I will get to install it until spring though. Starting to salt the roads around here and my nice nice cars get put away when that starts. Time for the FJ Cruiser to come out.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Stuart,
I'm ready to pull the pin on a V6S tune sans pulley per the 40% off offer before it runs out, but I would first still like an answer to my earlier questions at post #23.
If the answer to one or both of these questions is "no", can I buy the crank pulley later on and THEN get the "with pulley" tune from you for little or no extra cost?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Stuart is crazy busy with this Black Friday stuff so if you've called or emailed and he hasn't gotten back to you, he will. I ordered mine yesterday. :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-30-2016, 11:46 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Timbo
Hi Stuart how much extra bhp should i expect with my state of tune with the lower pulley.

Cheers
Tim
Hi Tim,

Conservatively I'd say perhaps another 20-25BHP

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Stuart,
I'm ready to pull the pin on a V6S tune sans pulley per the 40% off offer before it runs out, but I would first still like an answer to my earlier questions at post #23.
If the answer to one or both of these questions is "no", can I buy the crank pulley later on and THEN get the "with pulley" tune from you for little or no extra cost?
I think we have posted on this topic previously in our tuning thread but with all of our hand-held tuning products, you can request multiple files at the time we are tuning your car.

So we can send you 1. Tune and 2. Tune + Crank Pulley.

They are actually contained within the same master file so you can upload it to the programmer and you will have both files stored on it to select from + the original.

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-30-2016, 11:57 AM
Sponsor

Just want to say thank-you all for your continued support. We have been surprised by the level of participation in this sale! Ran out of programmers. Some more are on the way and we should have all orders shipped by Friday/Monday.

www.velocityap.com

DPelletier (11-30-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I am eager to see how much this tune wakes up my 340hp XE as it feels like a dud right now and when this tune arrives I feel the car should feel like it should've from day one.

Since the XE weighs less than a the F-Ype I think the car should also feel faster by the butt dyno than it really is which is a good thing also.