Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts
Default VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo

So as everyone knows the 2.0 has a modest exhaust noise, does have crackle and pop on over run and a bit of a rumble, which is nice. I'm thinking of changing the exhaust to increase the noise, I'm not trying to be a V6 or V8 so just to get that straight from the off, just want to increase the level.
So thought of getting a fabrication done, but with a bit of research i see that the V6 has a near identical back box in construction to the 4 pot. The V6 has 2 active valves though, where as the 2.0 has one. You will see this from the pictures below.
Fitting a V6 box would make no difference, but then i came across the VelocityAP exhaust which is a fit for the V6, with no modification. The active valves are not used.
That got me thinking , what if i fit this Velocity rear box would i have an increased sound, this is the question, should i go for it or not, any comments welcome.

Jaguar F-Type Sport Exhaust Touring Sound Level

Attached Thumbnails VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-z1.jpg   VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-z2.jpg   VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-ax1.jpg  

Last edited by powerhouse; 03-29-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:20 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
So as everyone knows the 2.0 has a modest exhaust noise, does have crackle and pop on over run and a bit of a rumble, which is nice. I'm thinking of changing the exhaust to increase the noise, I'm not trying to be a V6 or V8 so just to get that straight from the off, just want to increase the level.
So thought of getting a fabrication done, but with a bit of research i see that the V6 has a near identical back box in construction to the 4 pot. The V6 has 2 active valves though, where as the 2.0 has one. You will see this from the pictures below.
Fitting a V6 box would make no difference, but then i came across the VelocityAP exhaust which is a fit for the V6, with no modification. The active valves are not used.
That got me thinking , what if i fit this Velocity rear box would i have an increased sound, this is the question, should i go for it or not, any comments welcome.

Why not. It will be interesting to see how it goes. You will be a pioneer

Old 04-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you do it ?
I really want to do the same !
Do you think that the space between the two tube coming to the muffler are the same on the V6 and 4 cylinder ?

Old 04-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amouch
Did you do it ?
I really want to do the same !
Do you think that the space between the two tube coming to the muffler are the same on the V6 and 4 cylinder ?
Did nothing yet, going next week to a exhaust shop for a guy to have a look, see what he thinks he can come up with.The space looks the same, but the V6 has 2 active valves and the 4 pot has one. The 4 pots valve pipe is the same as the V6 but the pipe with no valve is a bit smaller. Using an adapter would resolve this. Have contacted a few aftermarket suppliers such as Quicksilver, Milltek and of course Velocity. but none are doing an option yet.

Last edited by powerhouse; 04-01-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Maybe you can negotiate something with Stuart at VelocityAP to be the first to try it out? Worst case scenario, you can probably source a V6 rear diffuser for next to nothing.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Maybe you can negotiate something with Stuart at VelocityAP to be the first to try it out? Worst case scenario, you can probably source a V6 rear diffuser for next to nothing.
Have been talking to him, he said he will see what the company comes up with, there's a lot of interest from the 2.0 owners for someone to come up with something, as for the rear diffuser, don't need to change it as the 4 pot has the same opening as the V6 so the twin pipes would fit. Maybe Stuart can come back with some info if he sees this thread.

Attached Thumbnails VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-v66.jpg   VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-c14.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 04:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

That looks like a different diffuser than the V6 has.

Yeah, I know, pipes needs cleaning. Car hasn't had its first spring wash yet.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
That looks like a different diffuser than the V6 has.

Yeah, I know, pipes needs cleaning. Car hasn't had its first spring wash yet.
I'm sure you'll have them pipes sparkling soon, not sure what year your car is, but the 2 pictures i provided is the rear diffuser on the late 17/18 year cars, mine been the 2.0 and the other the V6, seems they have utilized the rear diffuser for each cars. Yours looks a different diffuser but the outlet part would still be the same as they are still using the same exhaust as on the 2018 V6, can't see them changing that. The only difference i see is the moulding on the part around the pipes seems to go round the top of the pipes rather than straight up like yours if you can get that.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I'm sure you'll have them pipes sparkling soon, not sure what year your car is, but the 2 pictures i provided is the rear diffuser on the late 17/18 year cars, mine been the 2.0 and the other the V6, seems they have utilized the rear diffuser for each cars. Yours looks a different diffuser but the outlet part would still be the same as they are still using the same exhaust as on the 2018 V6, can't see them changing that. The only difference i see is the moulding on the part around the pipes seems to go round the top of the pipes rather than straight up like yours if you can get that.
The picture of the V6 diffuser is too dark to see whether it's the same as that on the I4.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The picture of the V6 diffuser is too dark to see whether it's the same as that on the I4.
Ok this is same diffuser as mine , better pics, this is on the 400, same opening, so i would say same opening size as older diffusers, only different moulding round the pipes

Attached Thumbnails VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-400.jpg   VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-c14.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Did nothing yet, going next week to a exhaust shop for a guy to have a look, see what he thinks he can come up with.
Let us know how it goes, I'm very interested in this as well.

I love my 2.0 and how nimble it is but its soundtrack is a bit disappointing as expected from an i4 (couldn't get a V6 unfortunately because taxes here made it ~30k more expensive and second market prices were crazy). I'm looking into remapping as well, initial "safe" numbers show a bump to 340bhp / 480nm which should give the car a bit more punch.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bouncyjoe
Let us know how it goes, I'm very interested in this as well.

I love my 2.0 and how nimble it is but its soundtrack is a bit disappointing as expected from an i4 (couldn't get a V6 unfortunately because taxes here made it ~30k more expensive and second market prices were crazy). I'm looking into remapping as well, initial "safe" numbers show a bump to 340bhp / 480nm which should give the car a bit more punch.
Same here with the taxes, that's why the 2.0 wa my option, i wonder would Stuart from Velocityap be interested in a group buy if he comes up with a rear system, seems a lot of interest.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

this is the set up of the 2.0 exhaust, The exhaust pipe as you can see branches into a Y, the sleeve connecting the centre pipe and rear box is 2.5" on the pipe with no valve, the other pipe with the valve is a bit bigger, like 2 and 3/4 or 3". I would say the both pipes are the bigger size like on the V6.
Made a short video, don't think i'll be heading to hollywood soon though, just meant to say at the end i would be changing the rectangular tip to twin tips like the V6

Attached Thumbnails VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-2.0-exhaust.jpg   VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo-2.0-exhaust1.jpg  

Last edited by powerhouse; 04-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:03 PM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

From all the data I can see, 99% the existing VelocityAP V6 Exhaust will fit the 2.0T. I would probably suggest the Supersport, as being a turbo engine the exhaust note will be more muffled than the V6.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 04-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
From all the data I can see, 99% the existing VelocityAP V6 Exhaust will fit the 2.0T. I would probably suggest the Supersport, as being a turbo engine the exhaust note will be more muffled than the V6.
Thanks Stuart.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM

I'm going to say Touring will probably be too quiet....

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-03-2018, 12:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Is it possible to order this from Switzerland ? I want to try on my 2.0T too.
Thank you.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by amouch
Is it possible to order this from Switzerland ? I want to try on my 2.0T too.
Thank you.
I think probably the best route is for us to confirm on one vehicle first, before we start sending big expensive packages to too many people.

If the other forum member who we are talking to chooses not to proceed I'll let you know.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Can someone tell me the diameter of the tail pipes on the V6 please

Old 04-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Can someone tell me the diameter of the tail pipes on the V6 please
Funny you should mention that, I measured mine yesterday and they are 110 mm / 4.25" in diameter!

Quick Reply: VelocityAP exhaust on the new 2.0 turbo