F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP/H&R Springs Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael94
The H&R springs are even lower then the Eibach's, do they also rub against the fender liner?
Ive had H&R springs on my R for at least 2 years and never had any problems and our roads over here arent great lol

Old 08-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael94
The H&R springs are even lower then the Eibach's, do they also rub against the fender liner?
No. And that's also with 15mm adapters. (Can't use 17mm adapters).

Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by John Jones
I have eibachs. looks amazing. on bumpy highways, the damn tire hits the fender / liner. not cool. strongly considering VAP and taking the lift.
That sounds like quite an aggressive drop. Any pics? Would like to see since yours sounds really low.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
That sounds like quite an aggressive drop. Any pics? Would like to see since yours sounds really low.
Based on the specs, the drop isn't as much as the H&Rs. However, if the Eibach coils are built with thinner wire, they could compress more than the H&Rs when hitting a bump, causing the liner rub. I've never heard of liner rubbing with the H&Rs or the VAPs. The only complaints have been tire rubbing on the fender lips if the offset with adapters is too radical.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-14-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Based on the specs, the drop isn't as much as the H&Rs. However, if the Eibach coils are built with thinner wire, they could compress more than the H&Rs when hitting a bump, causing the liner rub. I've never heard of liner rubbing with the H&Rs or the VAPs. The only complaints have been tire rubbing on the fender lips if the offset with adapters is too radical.
I don't think that can be the case because that would mean the coils on the H&R springs limit travel by essentially hitting one another which would be a massive design flaw. This is why I'm really curious to see a picture in this case.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:57 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I don't think that can be the case because that would mean the coils on the H&R springs limit travel by essentially hitting one another which would be a massive design flaw. This is why I'm really curious to see a picture in this case.
I think that is sort of the idea with a progressive rate spring. Think of it like this: when you lower a car you have somewhat less suspension travel remaining before bottoming out the suspension than you did with stock height. If the spring was the same strength as stock, you'd risk bottoming out when hitting large bumps. If you make the spring stiffer than stock, the ride gets noticeably harsher. So the best lowering springs are progressive rate - they have thinner coils at the top, tapering to thicker ones on the bottom. Over small bumps the thinner top coils absorb the small impacts, hence the ride seems mostly unchanged. But when you hit a larger bump, the small coils at the top collapse fully which then forces the thicker mid and lower coils to start absorbing the energy of the bump and since they are stiffer, they resist compressing fully and this prevents the suspension from bottoming out (or in this case allowing the tire to hit the liner). This gets you the closest thing to a free lunch - you get an almost factory quality ride (at least over small bumps) that is only a bit harsher over big bumps.

We had a post recently by someone that had lowering springs installed and his mechanic forgot to re-install the factory rubber wrap that protects the upper coil which is designed to quiet the springs when the top coils compress fully. He could hear the springs clanging on mid size bumps and knew something was odd.

Additionally, I have the VAP springs and can verify what Stuart is saying - they have a very obvious taper to the thickness of the coils.

It may be that the Eibach springs are progressive rate too, but perhaps not as progressive as the VAP or H&R springs and hence while lowering the car less than the H&R overall, they are still allowing more compression over large bumps and hence the rubbing of the tire and liner.

Last edited by Chawumba; 08-15-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

No, what I'm suggesting is that the spring rate on the H&R is higher than that on the Eibach as it nears full compression. I'm guessing you are experiencing a relatively soft ride with more body roll than stock.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I think that is sort of the idea with a progressive rate spring. Think of it like this: when you lower a car you have somewhat less suspension travel remaining before bottoming out the suspension than you did with stock height. If the spring was the same strength as stock, you'd risk bottoming out when hitting large bumps. If you make the spring stiffer than stock, the ride gets noticeably harsher. So the best lowering springs are progressive rate - they have thinner coils at the top, tapering to thicker ones on the bottom. Over small bumps the thinner top coils absorb the small impacts, hence the ride seems mostly unchanged. But when you hit a larger bump, the small coils at the top collapse fully which then forces the thicker mid and lower coils to start absorbing the energy of the bump and since they are stiffer, they resist compressing fully and this prevents the suspension from bottoming out (or in this case allowing the tire to hit the liner). This gets you the closest thing to a free lunch - you get an almost factory quality ride (at least over small bumps) that is only a bit harsher over big bumps.

We had a post recently by someone that had lowering springs installed and his mechanic forgot to re-install the factory rubber wrap that protects the upper coil which is designed to quiet the springs when the top coils compress fully. He could hear the springs clanging on mid size bumps and knew something was odd.

Additionally, I have the VAP springs and can verify what Stuart is saying - they have a very obvious taper to the thickness of the coils.

It may be that the Eibach springs are progressive rate too, but perhaps not as progressive as the VAP or H&R springs and hence while lowering the car less than the H&R overall, they are still allowing more compression over large bumps and hence the rubbing of the tire and liner.
Ahh yes, now that I think it through, all valid points. Maybe the "softer" coils are indeed contacting one another.