Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Why is the maximum lower differential 11.1%? Is there a diameter limitation because of housing constraints?

On #4, Velocity AP is developing their own in-house crank pulley....stay tuned (literally :-)
1. Yes, a larger pulley would rub against a bracket on the engine block.
2. If it is a damped pulley, I would consider replacing the solid pulley I currently have.

The following users liked this post:
schraderade (08-20-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Answers apply to the R only.
1. False, the combination will not overdrive the R1900 beyond Eaton's recommended maximum spin for that SC.
2. True, maximum available upper pulley differential is 8.3%. Maximum lower differential is 11.1 %. And, yes, the lower pulley is much easier to replace and can be removed without destruction. The upper OEM most times cannot be salvaged.
3. When replacing the upper pulley, a smaller belt can be sourced by using a V6 OEM belt. When replacing the lower pulley, only one sided belts come in the right size, so a smooth idler pulley needs to be installed to accommodate. Adds to the materials cost (minor), but the total labor effort (and cost) is much less than swapping out the upper pulley.
4. Traditionally everyone has started by swapping out the upper pulley and that was the only pulley available until early this year. There's only one supplier I know of for the +18mm lower pulley, and VAP is sourcing it from them.
Thank you for the concise answers. With regard to #2, please remind me again of the differential achieved by replacing both pulleys.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

1. Yes, a larger pulley would rub against a bracket on the engine block.
2. If it is a damped pulley, I would consider replacing the solid pulley I currently have.
Thanks...I've passed #1 onto Stuart at VAP.
I'm not sure about #2...

Originally Posted by IronMike
Thank you for the concise answers. With regard to ..., please remind me again of the differential achieved by replacing both pulleys.
If the lower pulley is increased by 11% and the upper pulley reduced by 8.3%, then the supercharger turns (1+11%) / (1-8.3%) = 21.0% faster.

I'm not sure that Unhingd maxed out all the dimensions...from recollection he's running at about a +15% differential.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Thank you for the concise answers. With regard to #2, please remind me again of the differential achieved by replacing both pulleys.
Please note, after checking my spreadsheet, the +18mm actually increases SC speed by 11.8%. See the tables below: ( the V6 starts with a 62mm pulley rather than the 66mm that is on the V8):

Originally Posted by schraderade
Thanks...I've passed #1 onto Stuart at VAP.
I'm not sure about #2...

If the lower pulley is increased by 11% and the upper pulley reduced by 8.3%, then the supercharger turns (1+11%) / (1-8.3%) = 21.0% faster.

I'm not sure that Unhingd maxed out all the dimensions...from recollection he's running at about a +15% differential.
As mentioned above, the V6 increase is smaller since it already starts with a smaller upper pulley from the factory.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:06 AM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Some testing of the latest tune from VelocityAP:

Tune is fantastic, no pulley, 200 cell DPs.

Runs were mostly 3.6s launching in 1st gear from idle.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 995 Likes on 745 Posts

I have just flashed a tune from the kind folks at VelocityAP. I have so far only driven to the store and back, but should have better observations in a day or two. Initial impressions are that it is more responsive in the lower midrange in the first third of the pedal travel. I'll need some miles before I'm sure, but I think the lag I've noticed from the start is gone. It always seemed that there was a delay between putting my foot into it and the engine figuring out what I wanted.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I have just flashed a tune from the kind folks at VelocityAP. I have so far only driven to the store and back, but should have better observations in a day or two. Initial impressions are that it is more responsive in the lower midrange in the first third of the pedal travel. I'll need some miles before I'm sure, but I think the lag I've noticed from the start is gone. It always seemed that there was a delay between putting my foot into it and the engine figuring out what I wanted.
That's the first thing I noticed as well. You will feel more power up top too.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cbroth1
Is yours a V6 or a V6S? I can't remember who has what if it's not in their signature

Old 10-29-2016, 08:02 PM

Is yours a V6 or a V6S? I can't remember who has what if it's not in their signature
Had R, now SVR..

Old 10-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Had R, now SVR..
So not quite an apples to apples comparison ;^)

I'll need more than four miles to get a better feel, but I don't expect SVR performance. I've got the motorcycle for that.

slipstream (04-10-2020)
Old 10-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Won't be feeling much today (other than wheelspin). Rain has moved in. Not that I am not happy about that, but real driving impressions will be a few days off at least. Even if it's dry tomorrow I'll be working from home while waiting for the mobile glass company to come and replace my windshield.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing but commuting since the tune, but I do have a few impressions now. No dyno readings, no lap times, no ETs. I'll need to fill up tomorrow, so will have a first fuel economy reading then.

The purely subjective short term report:

- stronger midrange
- revs more quickly
- pulls more cleanly to redline
- increased sensitivity/response in first 1/4 of pedal travel
- previous lag between pressing accelerator and engine response is greatly reduced

That last one needs a little more explanation. I've mentioned it before, but there is an inherent lag in the system. Perhaps it's more noticeable on the manual transmission, but the feeling I've had is that the engine delivers power mildly until it passes a threshold, then goes to more aggressive acceleration. That threshold seems to be a combination of pedal position and RPM, and the transition is as noticeable a the change when turbocharged engine "spools up." I still feel the transition, but it comes sooner (lower RPM and less throttle) so is not as abrupt. I don't feel like I need to gas it to get past the transition, then back off to the power I really want.

Surprisingly, at light cruise it seems smoother too.

zmoothg (11-08-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

First fuel economy rating: 17.9 mpg. My 10K mile average is 18.7 so that's certainly in the ballpark. Once I settle down and start driving with a modicum of sanity (translation, like slightly less of an idiot) it might even show better than my running average. Commutes where I spend time literally idling in first gear do not help in any case, and I've had a bit of that.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

First fuel economy rating: 17.9 mpg. My 10K mile average is 18.7 so that's certainly in the ballpark. Once I settle down and start driving with a modicum of sanity (translation, like slightly less of an idiot) it might even show better than my running average. Commutes where I spend time literally idling in first gear do not help in any case, and I've had a bit of that.
Don't be afraid to use the ECO feature. You have a lot more control over it with the MT vs the AT (depress the clutch at any time to restart the engine).

Old 11-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Don't be afraid to use the ECO feature. You have a lot more control over it with the MT vs the AT (depress the clutch at any time to restart the engine).
I use it every day, but not all the time. For stop and go traffic on the freeway I turn it off, but elsewhere I keep it on.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:34 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Just installed the Stage 1 Tune for my MY16 AWD R. Will be doing the Stage 2 once I get the Pulley installed next week. Initial impressions.

- The midrange has come alive
- A slight increase in gas mileage
- Exhaust: The exhaust pops and crackles are more tame now, before I could have the car in 2 gear and accelerator to 3000RPM, let off and the fireworks would go off, with the Stage 1 tune this doesn't happen as easily if at all. I still get the farting in 1st gear, I'll have to play with this more tomorrow. On the other side, the note feels a bit more deeper/throaty now.
- The acceleration is ALOT smoother than stock tune. The car pulls like butter, especially when in dynamic
- The cars revs a lot quicker
- The pedal lag is gone, when you tap the pedal now there is an instant response from the car, and getting to speed feels effortless. (Something you need climbing San Francisco hills)

Overall, I am quite pleased with the results thus far. I will have to play around with the exhaust sounds tomorrow, to confirm that I have lost some of the crackle & pops from the tune.

slipstream (04-10-2020)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Pedal commander would deal with that for those w/o a tune or maybe as a supplement to a tune.

- previous lag between pressing accelerator and engine response is greatly reduced

That last one needs a little more explanation. I've mentioned it before, but there is an inherent lag in the system. Perhaps it's more noticeable on the manual transmission, but the feeling I've had is that the engine delivers power mildly until it passes a threshold, then goes to more aggressive acceleration. That threshold seems to be a combination of pedal position and RPM, and the transition is as noticeable a the change when turbocharged engine "spools up." I still feel the transition, but it comes sooner (lower RPM and less throttle) so is not as abrupt. I don't feel like I need to gas it to get past the transition, then back off to the power I really want.

Surprisingly, at light cruise it seems smoother too.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Just installed the Stage 1 Tune for my MY16 AWD R. Will be doing the Stage 2 once I get the Pulley installed next week. Initial impressions.

- The midrange has come alive
- A slight increase in gas mileage
- Exhaust: The exhaust pops and crackles are more tame now, before I could have the car in 2 gear and accelerator to 3000RPM, let off and the fireworks would go off, with the Stage 1 tune this doesn't happen as easily if at all. I still get the farting in 1st gear, I'll have to play with this more tomorrow. On the other side, the note feels a bit more deeper/throaty now.
- The acceleration is ALOT smoother than stock tune. The car pulls like butter, especially when in dynamic
- The cars revs a lot quicker
- The pedal lag is gone, when you tap the pedal now there is an instant response from the car, and getting to speed feels effortless. (Something you need climbing San Francisco hills)

Overall, I am quite pleased with the results thus far. I will have to play around with the exhaust sounds tomorrow, to confirm that I have lost some of the crackle & pops from the tune.
Thanks for the report; I will be installing the stage 1 on my R in the spring so your impressions are timely.
Lawrence

Old 11-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

ITs nice to see all the good feedback. I bought the VAP tune and hope it will wake up my XE V6 AWD a lot since it is very detuned (340hp) The pulley will go on in the spring for that extra bump.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put in an order for my 2017 f type it's a v6 base so the bump from 340 and even past the s would be awesome

slipstream (04-10-2020)

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R