Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
- Exhaust: The exhaust pops and crackles are more tame now, before I could have the car in 2 gear and accelerator to 3000RPM, let off and the fireworks would go off, with the Stage 1 tune this doesn't happen as easily if at all. I still get the farting in 1st gear, I'll have to play with this more tomorrow. On the other side, the note feels a bit more deeper/throaty now.
On mine, I found all the fireworks came back about 100 miles after the tune.

The following users liked this post:
zmoothg (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

curious to hear impressions from anyone with a V6S AWD who has done the tune without pulley. The published gains don't seem to be as great to my untrained eye - though I can understand why this might be. Just wondering if the feel is noticeable.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nati
curious to hear impressions from anyone with a V6S AWD who has done the tune without pulley. The published gains don't seem to be as great to my untrained eye - though I can understand why this might be. Just wondering if the feel is noticeable.
what do you mean "to my untrained eye" ? not for nothing awd cars in general mask the power just because they really put the power down well. my 335 has something like 400tq to the wheels but it's awd and doesn't feel nearly as fast as the numbers are.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

The loss of exhaust pops / crackles is slightly concerning for me. I already suffered this once after the K309 software update earlier this year on my V8S.

To rectify the dealer had to apply a newer version of the K309 flash that Jaguar subsequently released to address the loss of exhaust noise problem which only only affected a few V8 cars.

Worried that applying the Velocity flash will cause the issue to appear again.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:51 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I still get pops / crackles but not as pronounced and I feel they are less predictable / natural. Before the tune in second gear I could accelerate to 2-2.5k RPMs and let off and hear a collection of pop / crackles that fade out as the RPMs drop to 1K. Now the pops / crackles are happening only above 3k RPM and they sort of unnaturally stop as soon as the engine drops below 3k. No sort of natural fade. It's there and then it isn't. Granted I've only put about 80-90k since the tune. I'll see if I can try some sort of recording of the exhaust noises with and without the tune. Not sure if I have equipment for recording accurate sounds.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
The loss of exhaust pops / crackles is slightly concerning for me. I already suffered this once after the K309 software update earlier this year on my V8S.

To rectify the dealer had to apply a newer version of the K309 flash that Jaguar subsequently released to address the loss of exhaust noise problem which only only affected a few V8 cars.

I have a V8S and I ordered the Velocity tune (SVR/P7) yesterday so I'll find out soon enough.....though that will be next spring now. Frankly (and I know this isn't a popular opinion), I couldn't care less if the crackles and pops change, lessen or disappear.....but the additional 65hp or so should be nice.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-30-2016, 09:51 AM

But 65hp plus sexy crackles / pops is even better

Old 11-30-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

But 65hp plus sexy crackles / pops is even better
I suppose. Honestly, and I've said this before, I love the exhaust note of my car under power with the baffles open but the cracks and pops when you let off the throttle seem a tad obnoxious and more than a bit contrived to me. Anyhow, I don't expect to change anyone's mind, it's just my take on it.

...I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't like those noises only that I'm a bit ambivalent about them for the reasons mentioned.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-30-2016, 10:21 AM

Actually no pops / crackles would be a lot better than what is doing now. Now the pop and crackles really sound faked and contrived, especially it's instant cut off at 3k RPM. It's like above 3k someone turns on a pops and crackles sounds effects then instantly on the way down to 3k at 3k it just instantly stops. No warning, no fade out, just stops. It's weird. No crackles and pops would be better than its current behavior

Old 11-30-2016, 11:44 AM

Follow-up : After returning my car to its original programming the crackles / pops returned to its glory. I drove with the tune approximately 120 miles to see if the exhaust sound would return to normal it did not, once I flashed back to the original the sound was back immediately. The car still sounds amazing with or without the tune but you will have to sacrifice the crackles / pops for the extra 65hp, but I haven't installed the crack pulley yet. I don't know what effect this will have at the end.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Regarding pops & crackles (no snaps?)

We aren't making any changes to the mapping that should alter this effect. In fact, someone recently asked us to investigate doing the opposite (tuning to decrease the popping & crackling) and despite a good hard look we couldn't find anything we could change to decrease this.

What I believe people are experiencing is that when you flash the car it resets all the learned adaptations like the fuel trims. Once these are re-learned and adapt over time I believe the pops & crackles will return. Per Lance's comment above about them returning after 100 miles this would seem to be accurate.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 11-30-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Regarding pops & crackles (no snaps?)

We aren't making any changes to the mapping that should alter this effect. In fact, someone recently asked us to investigate doing the opposite (tuning to decrease the popping & crackling) and despite a good hard look we couldn't find anything we could change to decrease this.

What I believe people are experiencing is that when you flash the car it resets all the learned adaptations like the fuel trims. Once these are re-learned and adapt over time I believe the pops & crackles will return. Per Lance's comment above about them returning after 100 miles this would seem to be accurate.
I was hoping this was the case as well, but after flashing back (to the original file) the sound returned immediately. Is it the case that the learning from the car are stored in the original tuning file? or does the car need to re-learn after every flash?

Old 11-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

I was hoping this was the case as well, but after flashing back (to the original file) the sound returned immediately. Is it the case that the learning from the car are stored in the original tuning file? or does the car need to re-learn after every flash?
If you want, I could do some edits to see if I can get it back on your car with the MOD file. Like Stuart mentioned, I tried to disable it on a clients car and had no luck(you have the same file). Usually I've heard the noises get louder on the MOD file, to the point of cracking store front glass windows..I'm really baffled how it stopped entirely on your car..

Send me an email with your last 8 digits of VIN. I'll find your file and kick back something to test. Just want to advise, black friday has put us into overload so I might not be as fast to reply with the test file, but soon as I find an spare minute I'll code up a file for you.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 11-30-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
If you want, I could do some edits to see if I can get it back on your car with the MOD file. Like Stuart mentioned, I tried to disable it on a clients car and had no luck(you have the same file). Usually I've heard the noises get louder on the MOD file, to the point of cracking store front glass windows..I'm really baffled how it stopped entirely on your car..

Send me an email with your last 8 digits of VIN. I'll find your file and kick back something to test. Just want to advise, black friday has put us into overload so I might not be as fast to reply with the test file, but soon as I find an spare minute I'll code up a file for you.
PM sent.

They only stopped below 3K. The exhaust sound overall is louder, I like it, the car sounds more aggressive. I am myself not pro or anti pops / crackles, but I just wanted to share my experience on the forum. Give back to people who have given so much to me in terms of information about this excellent car.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

This is precisely the experience I had with my K309 flash in February this year. The vast majority of people experienced no change - there were a few isolated incidents of loss of pops and cracks, I was one of them. The thread is well documented on this board.

I drove with the car like that (it would only pop and crack at high RPM, nothing at low RPM) for half a year and a couple of thousand miles of driving.

I talked to someone on this board very knowledgeable with Jaguar and he confirmed there were no changes in the K309 map that affected pops and crackles - yet my car and a small minority of others did have the problem.

Jaguar released a newer version of K309 around I think May or June, I had it applied in August. I asked the dealer what was different with this version, they weren't able to add any additional info. As soon as the flash was applied the exhaust was 100% back to its previous behavior, no learning whatsoever - all the pops and crackles were back to their former glory.

Here is a link to my post with the service order for the updated K309 flash

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post1517852

Old 11-30-2016, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I suppose. Honestly, and I've said this before, I love the exhaust note of my car under power with the baffles open but the cracks and pops when you let off the throttle seem a tad obnoxious and more than a bit contrived to me. Anyhow, I don't expect to change anyone's mind, it's just my take on it.

...I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't like those noises only that I'm a bit ambivalent about them for the reasons mentioned.

Cheers,
Dave
I'm in the same camp, as for me personally, they seem fake and the existing exhaust note is what I like, however everyone has a preference and I wonder that Jaguar should offer the option of turning it off.

I had asked Stuart if they could take out the extra fuel squirt that causes these and it looks like he may not be able to.. anyway, I will add the tune once spring arrives. Many on this forum will remember that Jaguar did some sort of an update flash and it took the snaps and pops out, which they had to later remedy.. I suppose this is the 'file' that would affect the fuel squirt, if someone knew how to over-write it.

I'm getting the tune only, as with a RWD, I'm not sure I can use much more power to the ground, that a pulley would add, .. we will see..
Lawrence.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers,
Dave
(deleted)

Last edited by Mulmur; 11-30-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur

I'm getting the tune only, as with a RWD, I'm not sure I can use much more power to the ground, that a pulley would add, .. we will see..
Lawrence.
It's all about traction! Here's a pic of my buddies' 805hp RWD car putting the power down:

My other friends 2016 Z06 does OK too with RWD and 640hp. .....personally I am happy my car is RWD, though I may be experimenting with different tires. I'm sure the pulley is a neat thing to get as are the other goodies out there (cats, headers, etc.) but the tune alone offers up to 605hp and the tune plus all the usual goodies is 630-640 so from a cost/benefit perspective, the tune is by far the best value.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 11-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

This is precisely the experience I had with my K309 flash in February this year. The vast majority of people experienced no change - there were a few isolated incidents of loss of pops and cracks, I was one of them. The thread is well documented on this board.

I drove with the car like that (it would only pop and crack at high RPM, nothing at low RPM) for half a year and a couple of thousand miles of driving.

I talked to someone on this board very knowledgeable with Jaguar and he confirmed there were no changes in the K309 map that affected pops and crackles - yet my car and a small minority of others did have the problem.

Jaguar released a newer version of K309 around I think May or June, I had it applied in August. I asked the dealer what was different with this version, they weren't able to add any additional info. As soon as the flash was applied the exhaust was 100% back to its previous behavior, no learning whatsoever - all the pops and crackles were back to their former glory.

Here is a link to my post with the service order for the updated K309 flash

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post1517852

I'm looking into the pops and crackles on how to make it happen. I might be able to reverse the affect for others at will..

FYI: The recall called K309V2 is to address concerns with the correct operation of the Oxygen (O2) Sensors..that's all. But when this update happens, it will reset all the fuel adaptions and reset all drive cycles. (Along with wiping out any tune that might be in the PCM)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

It's all about traction! Here's a pic of my buddies' 805hp RWD car putting the power down:

My other friends 2016 Z06 does OK too with RWD and 640hp. .....personally I am happy my car is RWD, though I may be experimenting with different tires. I'm sure the pulley is a neat thing to get as are the other goodies out there (cats, headers, etc.) but the tune alone offers up to 605hp and the tune plus all the usual goodies is 630-640 so from a cost/benefit perspective, the tune is by far the best value.

2 cents,
Dave
Nice picture, reminds me of the old dragging racing days in the late 60's.. I'll sit with the tune only for awhile and decide if anything further is desired after I drive it for a few months ... have to wait until spring though.
Lawrence

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R