F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
I'm looking into the pops and crackles on how to make it happen. I might be able to reverse the affect for others at will..

FYI: The recall called K309V2 is to address concerns with the correct operation of the Oxygen (O2) Sensors..that's all. But when this update happens, it will reset all the fuel adaptions and reset all drive cycles. (Along with wiping out any tune that might be in the PCM)
Yes that is the one. This is the modified K309 - it mentions v3 versus v2 that you mention

K309v3 - Oxygen (O2) sensors
JTB00495 - Exhaust Noise Reduction
SDD145_08_V240J - Jaguar SDD software-update 145_07 release note

SDD update V145.07

"14MY > 15MY F-TYPE / X152
This update contains a software update to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to resolve a concern relating to the reduction of exhaust noise after an update for the oxygen sensor has been completed when following K309 Service Action.
This is to support an active Service Action K309."

Old 11-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

I have spent the last hour or so, quickly testing a few tunes from Chris, and one of the tunes provided was able to return the pops/crackles back to what mine sounded like before the tune.

Other great news, for the people who really hate the pops, there was a tune provided that nearly eliminated the pops under 4K. Above 4K you could get them if you pushed it hard and let go, but it was also easy to avoid setting them off for normal driving.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I only spent about 15-20 minutes evaluating each tune, driving around Golden Gate Park.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (11-30-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

@Stu:
Has there been any realtime monitoring of engine and coolant temperature on a V6 base with any tune? I haven't pulled the trigger as I was comparing buildsheets of a base V6 and a V6S and it turns out the V6S has an upgraded cooling system.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Sponsor
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
@Stu:
Has there been any realtime monitoring of engine and coolant temperature on a V6 base with any tune? I haven't pulled the trigger as I was comparing buildsheets of a base V6 and a V6S and it turns out the V6S has an upgraded cooling system.
In terms of independent monitoring systems, no. But remember that the car is monitoring engine IAT and coolant temperatures itself. And with zero incidents of overheating on the V6 Base tunes we've done so far I would say we are looking pretty good.

Ragging the living daylights out of it on the track in Dubai at 120 degrees F might produce different results.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 12-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

ss23,
Any overheating issues?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I have spent the last hour or so, quickly testing a few tunes from Chris, and one of the tunes provided was able to return the pops/crackles back to what mine sounded like before the tune.

Other great news, for the people who really hate the pops, there was a tune provided that nearly eliminated the pops under 4K. Above 4K you could get them if you pushed it hard and let go, but it was also easy to avoid setting them off for normal driving.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I only spent about 15-20 minutes evaluating each tune, driving around Golden Gate Park.
This actually frightens me. It confirms that Jaguar could inadvertently louse up our exhaust notes unintentionally (as they've done before in the documented small instances), and stubbornly deny they've done so.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
ss23,
Any overheating issues?
Not that I've seen so far, although I haven't tracked the car. I have noticed some heat soak issues during peak summers here in Dubai (45-50°C) but I believe that's common between all F-Types? The heat soak seems to be under control now that it's winter here (20-30°C). Have you ever experienced heat soak during one of your more spirited drives, Lance?

I am curious to know though, what are the specific differences between the base's and v6s' cooling systems?

Old 12-03-2016, 05:29 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a question regarding the tune. It states before you take the car into the dealer for service you should flash the ECU back to stock to prevent the dealer from bricking the ECU; however, if you have the pulley install this will result in error codes being thrown. Is it okay to still drive the car with the original file and pulley installed?

Old 12-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ss23
Not that I've seen so far, although I haven't tracked the car. I have noticed some heat soak issues during peak summers here in Dubai (45-50°C) but I believe that's common between all F-Types? The heat soak seems to be under control now that it's winter here (20-30°C). Have you ever experienced heat soak during one of your more spirited drives, Lance?
In the wild, I have not experienced any heat soak issues whatsoever. However, after extended runs (more than 6+) on the dyno we did notice a 15-25 hp drop on the dyno under poor circulation conditions (couldn't quite recreate the 130 mph conditions that the gearing and engine speed would normally encounter). I'm not certain, though,that I would even notice a 25hp drop on a 450hp car.

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I have a question regarding the tune. It states before you take the car into the dealer for service you should flash the ECU back to stock to prevent the dealer from bricking the ECU; however, if you have the pulley install this will result in error codes being thrown. Is it okay to still drive the car with the original file and pulley installed?
The upper snout pulley will not throw a code on an OEM tune, but the lower pulley will. When I take my car in for service, I just leave the new tune in place and advise the shop not to upload any updates without my prior approval. Anyway, with the lower pulley, belt and idler swap, they'd have to be blind not to notice.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Just got my care package last night from ap. Time to download and send it over for my tune. I really hope my car doesn't loose the cracks and pops

Old 12-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have started a new thread cc tuning options on the V6S but apparantly -because I am new here- my first post must be approved first... I hope you guys can answer my questions as I really want to order my F-Type in the next weeks.

oh btw and a big Hi! as I have been reading here for hours the last few weeks. Thought it was time to actively join the forum...

Old 12-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the F-Type circus. Be certain to review the various tuning threads we already have. Compared with 2 years ago when I first joined, there is now substantial info on tunes and pulleys, backed up with hard data.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the welcome Unhingd!

Yes I think I am aware of the tuning threads and I think my questions are 'valid'.

I hope one of the admins approve my new thread as I am curious about the replies it will hopefully get.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by -krikke-
Thanks for the welcome Unhingd!

Yes I think I am aware of the tuning threads and I think my questions are 'valid'.

I hope one of the admins approve my new thread as I am curious about the replies it will hopefully get.
I don't think you need approval to post a new thread. I believe it requires a minimum of 10 posts and at least 3 days as forum member. I think you are close to being there.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I don't think you need approval to post a new thread. I believe it requires a minimum of 10 posts and at least 3 days as forum member. I think you are close to being there.
Strange as I am only a member from today...
Maybe it is 10 posts could be. Either way I noticed that suddenly my thread popped up! Unfortunately I need to get some sleep now as it's 02 am here...

Old 12-06-2016, 05:44 PM

I am deciding on ordering an F Type S and if the test drive (scheduled in two weeks) convinces me then I will probably sign an order...

Because my current car has more power (410hp and lighter) I am a bit afraid that the S (380hp and with a more linear acceleration feel because supercharger instead of turbo) might disappoint me in terms of performance...

I will know for sure after the test drive of course but on the other hand I already want to explore the possibility of remapping the car in order to achieve more performance. I have tuned most of my previous cars because I just like to have a little extra power under my pedal.

Here in Belgium there are plenty of tuners who offer tunes for Jaguar but they all list the same output for their stages 1 and 2. Presumably they all buy their tuned maps from some kind of 'tuning wholesaler' and simply double check or slightly adjust the tunes on their dyno's... In other words, they use -I think- a general or base tuning file in my market and I was wondering if UK or US based tuners can help me by optimizing the F Type? The F Type is not a common car here so I would prefer somebody with more experience in these cars to alter the ECU...

In Belgium ALL tuners offer the following:

stage 1 only ECU remap: from 380hp to 400hp and from 460Nm to 500Nm torque

stage 2 ECU + pulley + exhaust: from 380hp to 420hp and from 460Nm to 550Nm torque

While here I see that for example Velocity AP list values like 453HP and 436ft/lbs (=591Nm) with ECU + pulley but WITHOUT exhaust...

Can you squeeze more out of the car (due to more experience or do you tune with less safety margin) or am I making comparing mistakes with differences in HP (EU) and BHP (US) and ft/lbs (US) versus Nm (EU)? Here we use fuel type RON98... maybe that can count for a difference? I don't know...

So as you can see I have a few questions on how I can get my future car tuned by somebody not located in my country or even Europe...

Is it possible by remote (with a flashing device) or can I go to a local tuner and ask them to buy a tune from you? Also, will the US/UK remap work correctly on a EU spec car? (Fuel quality or other regional EU differences that have an impact on the remap etc...?)

I hope someone can help me clearing some of my questions... I truly am in love with the F Type so I think chances will be 99% I'll order one after my testdrive.

Best regards

Last edited by -krikke-; 12-06-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Sponsor

I am deciding on ordering an F Type S and if the test drive (scheduled in two weeks) convinces me then I will probably sign an order...

Because my current car has more power (410hp and lighter) I am a bit afraid that the S (380hp and with a more linear acceleration feel because supercharger instead of turbo) might disappoint me in terms of performance...

I will know for sure after the test drive of course but on the other hand I already want to explore the possibility of remapping the car in order to achieve more performance. I have tuned most of my previous cars because I just like to have a little extra power under my pedal.

Here in Belgium there are plenty of tuners who offer tunes for Jaguar but they all list the same output for their stages 1 and 2. Presumably they all buy their tuned maps from some kind of 'tuning wholesaler' and simply double check or slightly adjust the tunes on their dyno's... In other words, they use -I think- a general or base tuning file in my market and I was wondering if UK or US based tuners can help me by optimizing the F Type? The F Type is not a common care here so I would prefer somebody with more experience in these cars to alter the ECU...

In Belgium ALL tuners offer the following:

stage 1 only ECU remap: from 380hp to 400hp and from 460Nm to 500Nm torque

stage 2 ECU + pulley + exhaust: from 380hp to 420hp and from 460Nm to 550Nm torque

While here I see that for example Velocity AP list values like 453HP and 436ft/lbs (=591Nm) with ECU + pulley but WITHOUT exhaust...

Can you squeeze more out of the car (due to more experience or do you tune with less safety margin) or am I making comparing mistakes with differences in HP (EU) and BHP (US) and ft/lbs (US) versus Nm (EU)? Here we use fuel type RON98... maybe that can count for a difference? I don't know...

So as you can see I have a few questions on how I can get my future car tuned by somebody not located in my country or even Europe...

Is it possible by remote (with a flashing device) or can I go to a local tuner and ask them to buy a tune from one of the tuners present on this forum? Also, will the US/UK remap work correctly on a EU spec car? (Fuel quality or other regional EU differences that have an impact on the remap etc...?)

I hope someone can help me clearing some of my questions... I truly am in love with the F Type so I think chances will be 99% I'll order one after my testdrive.

Best regards
Hello, welcome to the forum and thank-you for your questions.

No your math & conversions seem accurate to me.

I think what you are seeing is that there are a plethora of client tuners out there who are claiming to do a bunch of work themselves but in reality are farming the tunes out to the same handful of UK/European companies. These companies almost all work off the same basic training which often is inaccurate/incorrect/incomplete. It's reasonably safe but they are trained to offer 'Stage' tuning (1, 2, 3) and to claim to unlock a certain percentage more power with each stage. Notice how the numbers are nice & round? 20HP there, 20HP here?

What they really mean is - we can bump a few torque limiters and see what happens.

Our software is 100% developed and written in house by our own software engineer who is a factory trained Jaguar/LR technician. The numbers you see have been verified and in most cases generated independently by forum members and customers on impartial and unbiased dyno facilities.

Yes, we can read & write to the car remotely for you, using our hand-held tools. You don't need a local tuner and they would not be able to load our software to your car anyway due to the way the tools are locked as slave & master units.

Our tunes have been optimised for 91 & 93 Octane (PON) which is equivalent to 95 & 98 RON and we have written tunes for many European Vehicles.

We can get you to 416BHP with a tune alone, and close to 450BHP with the addition of a crank pulley. 453BHP is possible with a 60.5mm supercharger pulley as well, but for the extra .75lbs of boost and what is already a sensitive throttle at 18-19psi we do not recommend it, best to stick around 440-445 with the crank pulley/tune alone.

www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
dwmilton (05-03-2020), MaximA (12-06-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 AM

Thanks for the reply Stuart.

Last question: how do you monitor the AFR when tuning on remote?

If I understand correctly we need to load your remap by using the vswitch. But don't you need to adjust/fine tune your 'base' map personally for each car?

On one of my previous cars a well known UK tuner flashed my car with his base Ecutek map and than equipped my car with several sensors. Then he took place besides me with his laptop on his knees and instructed me on how to drive in what gear and at what percentage of throttle I needed to use in order to fine tune his base map specifically to my car.

Things or technology might have changed since then but with a remote tune we just need to load a tuned map and that's it?

Last edited by -krikke-; 12-07-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Sponsor

Thanks for the reply Stuart.

Last question: how do you monitor the AFR when tuning on remote?

If I understand correctly we need to load your remap by using the vswitch. But don't you need to adjust/fine tune your 'base' map personally for each car?

On one of my previous cars a well known UK tuner flashed my car with his base Ecutek map and than equipped my car with several sensors. Then he took place besides me with his laptop on his knees and instructed me on how to drive in what gear and at what percentage of throttle I needed to use in order to fine tune his base map specifically to my car.

Things or technology might have changed since then but with a remote tune we just need to load a tuned map and that's it?
You don't need to monitor the AFR. Sounds like what the tuner you were working with before was doing was actual software development. Meaning they had some 'base' or 'off the shelf' map from a generic source and were looking to fine tune it further, confirm things like actual AFR. In our case, we did all this work already. We used an XF-S and spent several hours on the dyno to monitor sensor data and fine tune the maps. There's still enough safety margin built in to allow for some climatic variations. Yes in theory there can be some fairly infinitesimal gains from tweaking each car individually for local conditions, but by and large they are all pretty damn close. So we don't need to monitor your car because we have already done this work on other vehicles and know what commanded settings your vehicle needs to delivery the actual AFR we want to see.

So yes, you just need to use our VTech to read the file from the computer, email to us and then flash the modified file we send back onto the car.

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-14-2016, 01:11 PM

Thank you for your reply Stuart. Much appreciate it!

I have a testdrive scheduled this weekend and I am very curious on how the car will feel. On paper it got the numbers and is pretty quick, I just hope you sense the speed while driving. Not like a Merc S class that is fast and you see the needle going up but no emotion/thrill in experience...

God I love this car, please feel fast enough so I can order!

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R