Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
You don't need to monitor the AFR... There's still enough safety margin built in to allow for some climatic variations.
I can confirm that even with the most radical setup (upper & lower pulley swap) the VAP tune will keep the AFR on the rich (safe) side of a stoichiometric mixture (~14:1 for E90 fuels).

Old 12-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Sponsor
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

Hello All,

Just a quick note to let you know we have been testing a new feature that so far has been working very nicely - Stop/Start deactivation. With this added to our tune, the stop/start button will illuminate on startup and theoretically is still enabled and functioning, however under normal driving conditions will not activate. You can still manually switch it off, and it will be completely off however you won't have to do this every time you get in and start the car if you prefer not to use it.

Frankly, I hate it. I feel like it's a safety issue. If you're about to pull out from an intersection and the car stops on you it really isn't ideal. Very disconcerting.

So from now on we will be able to disable this feature.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 12-17-2016, 09:55 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

You just made a lot of people very happy. And just in time for Christmas!

Old 12-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Sponsor

Here's a neat video for you. Just finished some testing on a forum member's SVR. The car picked up at least 46WHP with our pulley and tune. I say at least because you can hear and see in the video that it was spinning it's tires on the rollers so some of that output was lost.

www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
MaximA (12-21-2016), Panthro (01-08-2017)
Old 12-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Is that you sitting in the hatch?

Old 12-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Is that you sitting in the hatch?
Sadly, no. It's much colder where I am and I am definitely not wearing a T-shirt.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Just trying to have some pre-Holiday fun

Reminds me of when I've watched mine getting dyno'd. Had the tires spin up on one attempt and it made an interesting looking, but worthless chart.

The best part is when the drum is still spinning and you walk over to see the number and it's more than you expected. And knowing that it all went correctly so the number is valid.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Had the tires spin up on one attempt and it made an interesting looking, but worthless chart.
That's The value of finding a Dynapack dyno (bolts to the hubs).

Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

At some point in the future, Patrick813 and I will take our cars to a shop that has a Dynapak and run them back to back to see the differences in our tunes/cars. Will post results for sure.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

It was good on the stock pulls no problem, but with the tune and Pulley when it hits 5k+ it just started spinning. We tried 4 times to get the numbers but it broke loose around the same area and was in the 485-500 area with 1.8k RPM to go.

He said the only other cars that have broken loose are various Mclarens. We will try a few other things in the next week or two, warmer days, or turning the engine off of dynamic so the throttle can be feathered it bit more. He was already feathering it lightly but once the boost hits hard around 5200 it just takes off.

Once the tune adapted it drove as smooth as stock, but piles on an extra 20MPH or so when you aggressively pass. This is the first time I've see the traction control come on in the dry.

It may be easier to get a good pull out of it after the adaptation, the TCM,Rear Diff and Transfercase spent the day trying to figure out what to do when. After about 75 miles of highway and street driving its much smoother and the power never falls off, it just hits the red line very quickly.

Stuart - Would it make sense to try a few pulls when the other modules have adapted to the power? It may accelerate bit smoother or we can fill the car with more people LOL, It may not get a peak but it will be close.

I want to try it in vMax mode as well since the damper compression is are a fair bit stiffer and may give us some more traction. We tried until about 10:30 last night and it that pull the cars hot but its over 500. One thing you can't hear in the video is just how much louder it is under full acceleration. It pulls a lot harder than my XKR did and it was around 530 at the wheels.

We're going to give it another shot, I have to know the number LOL! Not that I even really care as you can feel the difference and overall drivability has improved. It's enough that I had a race shop realign it today and we played around with different pressures as well. It's still adapting but feels much quicker through traffic.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That's The value of finding a Dynapack dyno (bolts to the hubs).
I'm sure theirs one somewhere in Florida, just have to look around.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Default Curious

Has anyone replaced both the upper and lower pulleys on the V8 and applied the VAP tune? If so, what numbers are you seeing on the dyno?

Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Awesome

Just got my VelocityAP tune uploaded into my 2014 F-Type V8S, and it's amazing. Easy to install - took about 10 minutes to read the original program then sent it off to be modified, then another 10 minutes to upload the new one.

Overall acceleration is dramatically improved, and smoother all the way up the power band. For those of us with the 495hp engine - and who are now out of warranty anyhow - the bump to over 600hp in software only is impressive.

Great job, guys!

Old 01-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought I would post this on this forum as you guys are a bit more active.

I have a 2017 XE R Sport. I am seriously considering the Velocity ECU tune on the 3.0 engine. That would take the engine from 340 hp to above 410 hp using the 91 Octane available here in Los Angeles. I leased the car from Hornburg in WLA. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with Hornburg and their position on a ECU modification. Trying to find out if Jaguar is taking a stand against tuning and how it is dealt with at the dealer level. I would love to speak with someone in Los Angeles area about how their car felt post tune.

Thx

Old 01-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Joearch
I thought I would post this on this forum as you guys are a bit more active.

I have a 2017 XE R Sport. I am seriously considering the Velocity ECU tune on the 3.0 engine. That would take the engine from 340 hp to above 410 hp using the 91 Octane available here in Los Angeles. I leased the car from Hornburg in WLA. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with Hornburg and their position on a ECU modification. Trying to find out if Jaguar is taking a stand against tuning and how it is dealt with at the dealer level. I would love to speak with someone in Los Angeles area about how their car felt post tune.

Thx
I'm not sure about LA local dealers. But with the XE not being out there in large volumes yet, might be hard to find someone on the forum with an XE to provide feedback. Not sure if it helps but you could try posting in the F-Type thread we have opened. I'm sure some of the F-type members would be able to give some insight about the LA dealers. ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...8s-v8r-158091/ )

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Have no idea about Hornburg, but Anaheim Hills was cool with mine. But I told them upfront I had it.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a soon to be new owner of a F Type V8S and was happy to find this thread; I read through all 19 pages!!
The Jag will be my weekend/fun car, and my daily is a Maserati Ghibli SQ4, which I've modded in the past with a piggyback type ECU tune to up the boost on the V6TT, however, the options for the Ghibli are expensive, few and far between, and the piggyback/bench tune options I have not found reliable (within a month of adding the tune on my Ghibli, 2 spark plugs were fouled and I had a few other issues with running to rich, and the tune I had was advertised as "everyday driver safe and reliable").
SO, I'm happy to see this relatively cheap and well-backed tuning option for the F Type! If the tune alone can push the V8S up 100 crank hp for "only" $1000, I'd call that a bargain!

A few questions for VelocityAP:
--it's possibly to have a handful of tune files on the handheld unit, so I could switch between stock, 91octane, and 93octane?
--since I'm in Florida, 93octane is readily available and probably easier to find then 91, so if I had the 91octane tune loaded on the car but filled up with 93octane, would that cause any potential issues?
--are there any perceivable drawbacks from the tune or maintenance that would be required outside of the recommended Jaguar scheduled intervals?

Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Also, have any F Type V8 owners with the tune ran the 1/4 mile yet?

Old 02-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by FLdoc
I'm a soon to be new owner of a F Type V8S and was happy to find this thread; I read through all 19 pages!!
The Jag will be my weekend/fun car, and my daily is a Maserati Ghibli SQ4, which I've modded in the past with a piggyback type ECU tune to up the boost on the V6TT, however, the options for the Ghibli are expensive, few and far between, and the piggyback/bench tune options I have not found reliable (within a month of adding the tune on my Ghibli, 2 spark plugs were fouled and I had a few other issues with running to rich, and the tune I had was advertised as "everyday driver safe and reliable").
SO, I'm happy to see this relatively cheap and well-backed tuning option for the F Type! If the tune alone can push the V8S up 100 crank hp for "only" $1000, I'd call that a bargain!

A few questions for VelocityAP:
--it's possibly to have a handful of tune files on the handheld unit, so I could switch between stock, 91octane, and 93octane?
--since I'm in Florida, 93octane is readily available and probably easier to find then 91, so if I had the 91octane tune loaded on the car but filled up with 93octane, would that cause any potential issues?
--are there any perceivable drawbacks from the tune or maintenance that would be required outside of the recommended Jaguar scheduled intervals?

Yes, although in practise, we are not running right on the ragged edge in terms of knock, so running 91 Octane on our 93 settings is unlikely to cause knock anyway, especially with 'normal' road use, so even then it will pull timing if knock is detected. I would say it is safe enough I wouldn't worry about switching unless you were going to the track or something.

None whatsoever.

Speeding Tickets....

Not really, although warranty concerns are often highlighted in discussion and entering into that grey area is something you need to be comfortable with. Has been discussed in some detail on the forum here.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-01-2017, 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=Stuart@VelocityAP;1612727
Not really, although warranty concerns are often highlighted in discussion and entering into that grey area is something you need to be comfortable with. Has been discussed in some detail on the forum here.[/QUOTE]

If the car is changed back to the stock file before going to the dealer, do they still have a way to detect that an aftermarket tune has been on the car?

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R