Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Sponsor
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by FLdoc
If the car is changed back to the stock file before going to the dealer, do they still have a way to detect that an aftermarket tune has been on the car?

Yes they can - has been discussed here at some length, but it will store a code for non-original software. The exact implications of that is where it gets grey - for example non-dealer diagnostic tools doing normal servicing can throw the same code so proving exactly where it came from....

Nonetheless, you need to have some understanding that there is risk.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Arne (02-02-2017), DirtyAir (02-01-2017), Panthro (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Yes they can - has been discussed here at some length, but it will store a code for non-original software. The exact implications of that is where it gets grey - for example non-dealer diagnostic tools doing normal servicing can throw the same code so proving exactly where it came from....

Nonetheless, you need to have some understanding that there is risk.
Stuart, this is a very responsible answer to that question. A good indication that you will be in this on for the long-haul as a tuner.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Arne (02-02-2017), dwmilton (05-03-2020), Panthro (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Stuart, this is a very responsible answer to that question. A good indication that you will be in this on for the long-haul as a tuner.
Agreed! And thank you for the info Stuart

Old 02-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, new to this forum and recently got a '16 V6S. Coming from a '16 M3 im really missing the power & torque loss from the heavier&Slower V6S.

Im thinking of doing the VAP tune, and possibly the lower crank pully, but i have a couple questions first.

1. how DIY friendly is swapping the lower crank pully? i havent dont anything like that before, but like to think i can DIY anything with enough instructions

2. I have the 8AT, how well will it handle the torque increase from the tune? is the transmission on the V6 the same unit as on the V8 ?

3. @VAP, are there any other parameters you can change in the flash file? As far as small things like besides disabling the auto stop start, can you disable window roll-up interup when opening door, increase DRL brightness with headlights on, enable closing windows from keyfob. Coming from BMW i used to be able to change options like these using a cracked dev tool through the OBD2 port, but aparently jaguar doesnt have anything like this besides SDD, which i wont be able to get access to

Thanks !

Old 02-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

1. The lower pulley is DIY friendly if you have a lift. Otherwise no .
2. The V-6 transmission is the same ZF8 transmission in the V-8. Plenty strong for anything.

The following users liked this post:
G4Z808 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Sponsor

1. how DIY friendly is swapping the lower crank pully? i havent dont anything like that before, but like to think i can DIY anything with enough instructions
Do-able, but you're really going to want a lift. It is accessible from below after removing the front tray. You'll need a long extension and a T50 for the crank pulley. The bolts are held in with Loctite & some require a good bit of force to crack. The idler pulley is removed by prying off the plastic cap and a 15mm bolt. Replaced with a smooth pulley. Longer belt is supplied, you will need to loosen the tensioner to get the new belt on, and probably will need to take some tension off the FEAD idler as well, because the FEAD crank pulley is held captive by the charger pulley. We just installed one in the shop -first time doing one here and it was all done & dusted in 2 hours.

2. I have the 8AT, how well will it handle the torque increase from the tune? is the transmission on the V6 the same unit as on the V8 ?
100% capable of handling the torque. The manual has a couple issues that Lance had to address but you are good to go with the 8AT.

3. @VAP, are there any other parameters you can change in the flash file? As far as small things like besides disabling the auto stop start, can you disable window roll-up interup when opening door, increase DRL brightness with headlights on, enable closing windows from keyfob. Coming from BMW i used to be able to change options like these using a cracked dev tool through the OBD2 port, but aparently jaguar doesnt have anything like this besides SDD, which i wont be able to get access to

We can change a few things but only related to drivetrain. Chassis/body modules we don't have access to.

www.velocityap.com

G4Z808 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 03:42 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by G4Z808
...enable closing windows from keyfob...

Many of us with verts have installed the SmartTop controller. In addition to raising/lowering the roof from the keyfob, we can raise/lower windows too.

mods4cars Online Shop

G4Z808 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Finally got my V8s tune in today. Wasted about 1/4 tank in 15 minutes testing it in a circle on the freeway.

I know that 495-600 is a 20%-ish jump but I genuinely was not expecting it to be as good as it is. Stuart's tune is a beast. The torque is where it should be and the throttle feels better. Well done! I'm ready to skip out of work and go have some fun.

Last edited by DirtyAir; 02-02-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Just ordered mine ... like one minute ago !!! I had accidentally ordered the Paramount Tune and hopefully cancelled it in time..lol..., if not I might have a tune for sale pretty soon...hahaha. Cant wait for the package to get here!!!

Getting lots of good guidance and info from dudes like Unhingd and Stohlen. most of it is above my level of knowledge but you guys are legends in my book.

Need to thank Stuart for the great deal

Old 02-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Just ordered mine ... like one minute ago !!! I had accidentally ordered the Paramount Tune and hopefully cancelled it in time..lol..., if not I might have a tune for sale pretty soon...hahaha. Cant wait for the package to get here!!!

Getting lots of good guidance and info from dudes like Unhingd and Stohlen. most of it is above my level of knowledge but you guys are legends in my book.

Need to thank Stuart for the great deal

Shipped today

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-03-2017, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Do-able, but you're really going to want a lift. It is accessible from below after removing the front tray. You'll need a long extension and a T50 for the crank pulley. The bolts are held in with Loctite & some require a good bit of force to crack. The idler pulley is removed by prying off the plastic cap and a 15mm bolt. Replaced with a smooth pulley. Longer belt is supplied, you will need to loosen the tensioner to get the new belt on, and probably will need to take some tension off the FEAD idler as well, because the FEAD crank pulley is held captive by the charger pulley. We just installed one in the shop -first time doing one here and it was all done & dusted in 2 hours.

100% capable of handling the torque. The manual has a couple issues that Lance had to address but you are good to go with the 8AT.

We can change a few things but only related to drivetrain. Chassis/body modules we don't have access to.
Originally Posted by Unhingd
1. The lower pulley is DIY friendly if you have a lift. Otherwise no .
2. The V-6 transmission is the same ZF8 transmission in the V-8. Plenty strong for anything.
Thanks for the response guys. @Stuart, I'll probably start with the tune only for now , and get the pully sometime later this year.

@Unhingd, do you have any exhaust components installed? how did the tune/tune+Pully affect your exhaust/intake/Blower-whine sound

Originally Posted by DJS
Many of us with verts have installed the SmartTop controller. In addition to raising/lowering the roof from the keyfob, we can raise/lower windows too.

mods4cars Online Shop
Thanks for the info, I can see how this would be worth it for a 'vert, but $400 just to add window roll up from fob is crazy

Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Many of us with verts have installed the SmartTop controller. In addition to raising/lowering the roof from the keyfob, we can raise/lower windows too.mods4cars Online Shop
Anyone done this install themselves? Easy, hard, impossible?

OK, Andrew - RTFM! This seems plug and play! Answered my own question...

Last edited by amr42; 02-03-2017 at 08:10 AM. Reason: RTFM
Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by amr42
Anyone done this install themselves? Easy, hard, impossible?

OK, Andrew - RTFM! This seems plug and play! Answered my own question...

Yes, simple. There's a thread somewhere (search 'smarttop') if you have questions. Didn't mean to hijack VAP's thread.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by G4Z808

@Unhingd, do you have any exhaust components installed? how did the tune/tune+Pully affect your exhaust/intake/Blower-whine
The pulley/tune initially reduced the overrun, but VAP sorted that out by modifying the tune. The supercharger whine has nominally increased in volume. That's with stock exhaust.

I'm still working with VAP to develop the header installation, so nothing to report yet.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Crank pulley indecision

I am about to place my order with VAP for the 200 cell cats and tune for my 2015 V6. Stuart has been helpful; however, I remain undecided on the crank pulley.

I realize the crank pulley has not been available for long, however I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has done it. As in…
How long you have had it installed, how many miles?
How has your experience been?
How hard do you drive your car?
Had any issues with Jaguar dealer?

I understand the warranty risk, etc.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:27 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

any truth to brief commentary that this tune neuters the crackle on overrun?

can hear a definite lack of burble in this video

Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You must be very popular, Stuart. Your PMs are full and can't receive any messages.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by hoonery
You must be very popular, Stuart. Your PMs are full and can't receive any messages.
Really? Says I have 373 stored of 500 available.

Anyway, Stuart@VelocityAP.com is the best way to get in touch with me.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NigelW
I am about to place my order with VAP for the 200 cell cats and tune for my 2015 V6. Stuart has been helpful; however, I remain undecided on the crank pulley
I realize the crank pulley has not been available for long, however I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has done it. As in….
How long you have had it installed, how many miles? 7 months, 7000 miles.
How has your experience been? Outstanding: extra 70 hp, 96 lb-ft.
How hard do you drive your car? Very.
Had any issues with Jaguar dealer? None, but engine has never presented a problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
dwmilton (05-03-2020), NigelW (02-06-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 05:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
any truth to brief commentary that this tune neuters the crackle on overrun?

can hear a definite lack of burble in this video

https://youtu.be/vdIJnPzk0lA
I did the VelocityAP tune on my 2014 V8 S, and it still sounds fantastic.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R