Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Hi Guys, new member, just bought a perfect 2015 F Type S V6 and loving it! But, it can definitely use some help in the higher revs, I may start with the 200 cell cat. Does it make the car louder? Can I just add the cat without any ECU upgrades?
Cats will make the car much louder.Well add 10 and 25 hp, but not very noticeable. A tune is far more effective. The cats may throw an O2 code requiring a tune anyway

Old 04-02-2017, 02:45 PM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Ah thanks Unhingd. In that case I'll go with the tune. This is all new to me, but I saw you mentioned still having the car dyno'd after tuning it. So a local shop with a dyno can test the car and tell if it's within safe limits ?

Old 04-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Ah thanks Unhingd. In that case I'll go with the tune. This is all new to me, but I saw you mentioned still having the car dyno'd after tuning it. So a local shop with a dyno can test the car and tell if it's within safe limits ?
The reason to dyno your car is to get a before and after reading so you can see how much power you had before the work and after.
Nothing to do with safe limits, vap dont do bad maps.

The following users liked this post:
AJF (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Timbo
The reason to dyno your car is to get a before and after reading so you can see how much power you had before the work and after.
Nothing to do with safe limits, vap dont do bad maps.
+1. I do baseline and post mod/change testing on much of what I do to the car (including oil analysis at oil change intervals). Velocity AP was actually the second tuner I worked with. I have confirmed the results (both power and operating parameters) and the VAP tunes get the promised results within conservative (safe) parameters (A/F ratios, IAT, advance, etc.). Chris @ VAP knows what he is doing. No need to do further testing on their tunes. A number of us have confirmed that they get reproducible results.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
AJF (04-03-2017), dwmilton (05-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2017, 05:13 AM
AJF

Thanks guys I'm going to go for it.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Is the VAP tune resealable? Some tuners allow you to uninstall and then resell if you sell your car. Just leased a manual v6 convertible and already thinking about this. Also, any warranty issues? Know that is always the million dollar question, but i searched and didn't find much information. If there is a thread already, I am happy to read that instead. Just couldn't find it.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
Is the VAP tune resealable? Some tuners allow you to uninstall and then resell if you sell your car. Just leased a manual v6 convertible and already thinking about this. Also, any warranty issues? Know that is always the million dollar question, but i searched and didn't find much information. If there is a thread already, I am happy to read that instead. Just couldn't find it.
Always assume any ECU tune will trigger a warranty issue if detected. You're messing with one of the most fundamental parts of the motor.

Resalable? Never heard of that unless you buy a standalone ECU

Old 04-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Bought a tune from VAP for my V6S vert with automatic during their sale last year. Unfortunately got it after the car was stored for the winter. Was a nice spring day today so I took the car out of storage and installed the tune. Took about 15 minutes. A few things went on durning the tune loading process I didn't expect. The information center flashed warnings that there were several faults (brakes, sensors, etc) throughout the tune loading process and at the very end when the flasher appeared to be finishing up the windshield wipers went on momentarily, many fault messages appeared in rapid succession and some beeping occurred. Also after the tune was complete and flasher disconnected the check engine light was on. Fortunately I remembered (from downloading the original tune file) the light goes out after five engine starts - it did.

Went out for a drive to check out the effect of the tune. After the engine warmed up I did a few 0 to ??? runs and can say the car does pull better than before the tune. Before you could feel the engine running out of steam well before an up shift. Now it pulls all the way to the upshift. Also when using the paddle shifters in sport mode the shift point warning circle seemed to come on a bit later (not sure because not a good idea to stare at the tach and warning light when accelerating hard). The change is very noticeable but doesn't turn the car into a dragster but I didn't expect it to.

So far I am pleased with the purchase - it seems to perform exactly as advertised.

slipstream (04-10-2020)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonery
Always assume any ECU tune will trigger a warranty issue if detected. You're messing with one of the most fundamental parts of the motor.

Resalable? Never heard of that unless you buy a standalone ECU
EPL tunes for audis and Cobb tunes for BMWs come with portable programmers and are resaleable. Not make or break, but just curious and a nice feature to have.

As as far as the dealer, of course if you leave the tune on and it is detected you are SOL. But what about if you flash back to stock? BMW is pretty good and as long as you flash you are usually fine. Audi is much stricter and has even flagged cars flashed back to stock. Just curious where Jaguar stands. If it has been discussed, happy to read a link.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Be careful!! Loading your tuned file to another F-Type will brick the ECU on that other car. It will have the wrong VIN coded in the file and will freeze the ECU.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting to get my tuned file back from VAP and I have a question about the process. I noticed after using a kiwi3 for data logging and extracting my base file with the VAP handheld that I had the known issue of the car not fully powering off as signaled by the hazard light switch staying on.

I've been pulling the positive lead off the battery in the trunk for a minute or so to reset things after using the ODB port.

Once I flash the tuned file that I get from VAP will it hurt things or reverse any of the flashing process to do the battery pull technique again to reset the power issue?

Old 04-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Be careful!! Loading your tuned file to another F-Type will brick the ECU on that other car. It will have the wrong VIN coded in the file and will freeze the ECU.
If it didn't brick the ECU VAP warns that the flasher will definitely get bricked if the VINs don't match. Makes sense so people don't pass around tunes.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KC_Jay
I'm waiting to get my tuned file back from VAP and I have a question about the process. I noticed after using a kiwi3 for data logging and extracting my base file with the VAP handheld that I had the known issue of the car not fully powering off as signaled by the hazard light switch staying on.

I've been pulling the positive lead off the battery in the trunk for a minute or so to reset things after using the ODB port.

Once I flash the tuned file that I get from VAP will it hurt things or reverse any of the flashing process to do the battery pull technique again to reset the power issue?
Disconnecting the battery has no impact on whatever tune you happen to have loaded on the car.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 AM
AJF

Hey Stuart I PM'd you about my order

Old 04-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Disconnecting the battery has no impact on whatever tune you happen to have loaded on the car.
Possibly as a matter of interest, the master mechanic at my dealership told me that the battery drain issue is real and that he does not need to disconnect the battery. Apparently when they install an upgrade, their software has a feature that they trigger to reset the module. He say's that not all Jaguar mechanics seem to be aware of it, but it is available to them.
Lawrence

The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
Arne (04-06-2017), Unhingd (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Possibly as a matter of interest, the master mechanic at my dealership told me that the battery drain issue is real and that he does not need to disconnect the battery. Apparently when they install an upgrade, their software has a feature that they trigger to reset the module. He say's that not all Jaguar mechanics seem to be aware of it, but it is available to them.
Lawrence

That sounds plausible, as I have never heard the mechanic that has worked on my car (for both services and software updates) ever mentioning that he has had the need to disconnect the battery - and he usually tells me everything that he has done (in details). And I have never had any problems with battery drain.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a chance to install the tune on my R the other day. I haven't been able to drive much since the weather hasn't been great but I've been out to run a few errands and I agree with the others in saying that the throttle response in dynamic is better and there seems to be more power down low. Its really hard not to shoot off the line at a stop light now.

Not having to hit the eco button every time is great as well.

Also as mentioned before, after the flash was complete and I had turned off the car I went ahead and did a quick battery disconnect to reset the power module. I then went for a short drive and noticed the check engine light on as mentioned previously by someone. I'm glad it was mentioned that it goes away after you stop/start the car 5 times or so as that was my experience as well.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Lawrence
This is actually good news. That means the module is performing as designed. However, since I don't have the secret decoder software, I have to continue doing the manual reset when I diddle with the car's ECU.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Default VAP Handheld Issue

For those of you playing with multiple tunes, I have noticed that you have to flash back to the OEM tune before flashing the next one in order for it to take effect. This has now occurred on two separate occasions. It doesn't make much sense to me, but there you have it.

Cherry_560sel (04-20-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by KC_Jay

Also as mentioned before, after the flash was complete and I had turned off the car I went ahead and did a quick battery disconnect to reset the power module. I then went for a short drive and noticed the check engine light on as mentioned previously by someone. I'm glad it was mentioned that it goes away after you stop/start the car 5 times or so as that was my experience as well.
Hi KC_Jay I'm about to use my VAP, can you explain this to me? Do I need to disconnect the battery after I download the tune to my car ? Do I need to do this whenever I bring the tune back to stock?

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R