Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Hi KC_Jay I'm about to use my VAP, can you explain this to me? Do I need to disconnect the battery after I download the tune to my car ? Do I need to do this whenever I bring the tune back to stock?
I had no battery problems after installing my VAP tune. Just the check engine light that went out after 5 restarts.

The following users liked this post:
AJF (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:41 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Ah ok thanks.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Hi KC_Jay I'm about to use my VAP, can you explain this to me? Do I need to disconnect the battery after I download the tune to my car ? Do I need to do this whenever I bring the tune back to stock?
I have found this to be the case on my car. It is not clear whether it has to be done on all cars. If your hazard light button remains lit for more than 10 minutes after the car is shut down, you will need to do the battery disconnect.

AJF (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:24 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Got it thanks!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Right. What unhinged said. You only have to do the battery disconnect if your car has the issue of not completely shutting down after you've used the ODB port.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes the same for me. I have to return to oem before I can guarantee a tune will take. It's quite weird to me as well.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
curious to hear impressions from anyone with a V6S AWD who has done the tune without pulley. The published gains don't seem to be as great to my untrained eye - though I can understand why this might be. Just wondering if the feel is noticeable.
I have a 2016 F Type S AWD and have done the Tune and we deleted my CAT's as well as bumped the exhaust up to 2.5" piping with new mufflers.

I do not have dyno figures as I am waiting to do the pulley for these but the butt dyno can tell a difference.

Prior to this doing a hard launch was a piece of cake with TC still enabled, now it kicks in.

I have to kill traction control fully (not track mode) and when launching at 2500RPM it will still break the tires loose just a tad.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Yes the same for me. I have to return to oem before I can guarantee a tune will take. It's quite weird to me as well.
Odd... I flashed from one tune to the next yesterday and it was fine.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Odd... I flashed from one tune to the next yesterday and it was fine.
Unless there is a dramatic difference in the two non-OEM tune files, You might be unaware of the issue.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Unless there is a dramatic difference in the two non-OEM tune files, You might be unaware of the issue.
The Vtech tool confirms the right tune is in the vehicle, and we remapped the throttle pedal, which is quite noticeable. I'm confident the flash was successful.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
The Vtech tool confirms the right tune is in the vehicle, and we remapped the throttle pedal, which is quite noticeable. I'm confident the flash was successful.
Throttle mapping seems to be a critical consideration after massive power increases are implemented. Trying to dial down the front end sensitivity on mine as well.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
For those of you playing with multiple tunes, I have noticed that you have to flash back to the OEM tune before flashing the next one in order for it to take effect. This has now occurred on two separate occasions. It doesn't make much sense to me, but there you have it.
Chris did not mention that. How did you come about that bit of info?

VAP wrote a revised tune file in order to squeeze more low end torque, as the dyno results from the tune showed no torque gains from stock. I loaded the new tune, but have not noticed any difference. I am waiting for the OBD2 Link Sx to arrive so I can get some data using their OBDWiz software (I would welcome any comments regarding that scanner...it was super cheap, so I figured I would take a chance on it).

Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Chris did not mention that. How did you come about that bit of info?

VAP wrote a revised tune file in order to squeeze more low end torque, as the dyno results from the tune showed no torque gains from stock. I loaded the new tune, but have not noticed any difference. I am waiting for the OBD2 Link Sx to arrive so I can get some data using their OBDWiz software (I would welcome any comments regarding that scanner...it was super cheap, so I figured I would take a chance on it).
One of the times we were playing with tunes on the dyno, we had made a change to a tune that should have immediately registered some parameter changes, which it did not. Flashing back to OEM and then flashing the new tune provided the expected results. I then had the same issue occur while I was playing with alternate tunes to smooth out the throttle response. Nothing scientific about this. Just empirical evidence.

Go ahead and revert to OEM before putting on your new tune. It certainly won't hurt to try.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello all! Newbie here. I am going to pick up my first Jag tomorrow, which is a 2014 F Type S. I a Z06, IS350 and a 380hp 335is and I really, really hope this one is more fun to drive than all of them.

I am going to do the tune after I pick up the car, but I will do the crank pulley a little later. Will I have to buy a second tune after putting on the crank pulley?? I hope not. lol

Old 04-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
Hello all! Newbie here. I am going to pick up my first Jag tomorrow, which is a 2014 F Type S. I a Z06, IS350 and a 380hp 335is and I really, really hope this one is more fun to drive than all of them.

I am going to do the tune after I pick up the car, but I will do the crank pulley a little later. Will I have to buy a second tune after putting on the crank pulley?? I hope not. lol
Welcome...if you do the tune from VAP they have stated that the tune already is calibrated to accomodate the increased boost of the larger crank pulley.

Dan's cat (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Welcome...if you do the tune from VAP they have stated that the tune already is calibrated to accomodate the increased boost of the larger crank pulley.
Correct. And we don't charge for retunes either.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Dan's cat (04-21-2017), dwmilton (05-03-2020)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great news! Thanks for the help Cherry_560sel & Stuart! And, I'll get in touch with you to start the process of the tune, Stuart. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

After some off-line dialogue with Stuart (while he's in Asia!), I'm going to go with their tune. Since I will be doing some spirited driving at the local race track soon, I am trying to understand all the different driving modes (std automatic, "S", with paddles, tracdsc, etc). I have one question for all - how do we keep the car from downshifting??!! I want to know for a couple of reasons - the first of which is exiting from a turn at high g's - I don't want the resultant upset in the cars stability. The 2nd reason is that I want the dyno run to pull from down low if possible. The local AWD dyno here is limited to 150 mph, so we won't be in top gear. But in my limited experiments, it always wants to downshift. Any clues here as to how to force the car to stay in a given gear at lower RPM? thanks to all for this informative forum.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:02 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

When in 'S', after you've used the paddles, it should only downshift:
1. If the RPMs drop low enough that it needs to downshift to avoid stalling;
2. If you put the pedal down to the 'kickdown' detent.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
After some off-line dialogue with Stuart (while he's in Asia!), I'm going to go with their tune. Since I will be doing some spirited driving at the local race track soon, I am trying to understand all the different driving modes (std automatic, "S", with paddles, tracdsc, etc). I have one question for all - how do we keep the car from downshifting??!! I want to know for a couple of reasons - the first of which is exiting from a turn at high g's - I don't want the resultant upset in the cars stability. The 2nd reason is that I want the dyno run to pull from down low if possible. The local AWD dyno here is limited to 150 mph, so we won't be in top gear. But in my limited experiments, it always wants to downshift. Any clues here as to how to force the car to stay in a given gear at lower RPM? thanks to all for this informative forum.
As was noted, don't hit the kickdown switch and you should be fine. Also, I'll double check but I think 4th gear is the closest to 1:1, you don't want to be in top gear anyway.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R