Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Robinson
I have a 2014 R (RWD) and living in Europe where it rains too much, I doubt I will ever want more than 550hp. But I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the thread and kudos to VelocityAP for their considered approach and customer centricity.
Thanks Jon, appreciate the kind words.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
JagAlb (05-29-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Stuart do you think the new Sport 400 F Type uses the current V6 and gets its extra horsepower by tuning similar to VAP ?

Old 05-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by AJF
Stuart do you think the new Sport 400 F Type uses the current V6 and gets its extra horsepower by tuning similar to VAP ?
I would expect so yes.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Stuart,
You should start collecting endorsing statements from your customers to publish on your website. It's one thing to sing your own praises, it's quite another (and far more impactful) to receive accolades from independent parties.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Stuart,
You should start collecting endorsing statements from your customers to publish on your website. It's one thing to sing your own praises, it's quite another (and far more impactful) to receive accolades from independent parties.
We do have a section on each product that allows customers to write reviews. I did start cut and pasting some of them myself but we thought it was a bit disingenuous, even if they were the customer's words to be posting the reviews ourselves.

If people have the time we would love it!

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We do have a section on each product that allows customers to write reviews. I did start cut and pasting some of them myself but we thought it was a bit disingenuous, even if they were the customer's words to be posting the reviews ourselves.

If people have the time we would love it!
Count me in.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Since I've finished my first track event and the engine did fine, I'm now on the brink of flashing the ECU. My concern is with losing the warranty, because even if I were to flash back to stock, there's a trail and Jag would likely void any engine damage due to issues that could be linked to tuning. I will be going with Velocity AP if I retune.

The reality is that the car in stock trim is so capable, I have to think as to whether or not the higher grin factor is worth the warranty risk.

This message is to those with the 5.0 supercharged owners. Are these motors bulletproof? Have they been around with limited problems (unlike the Ford 5.4 OHC timing chain/oiling/phaser issues)? For those of you who have flashed your ECUs - would you do it again? Have you had any drive-ability issues? Have you heard any reliability issues with regard these 5.0 motors where I may have some risk? Have you heard where Jag was doing maintenance and flagged the fact there was a different tune or pulley and made a stink?

Your candid answers would be appreciated since I'm a torque junky and I going nuts with this decision!

Last edited by inmanlanier; 05-24-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
Since I've finished my first track event and the engine did fine, I'm now on the brink of flashing the ECU. My concern is with losing the warranty, because even if I were to flash back to stock, there's a trail and Jag would likely void any engine damage due to issues that could be linked to tuning. I will be going with Velocity AP if I retune.

The reality is that the car in stock trim is so capable, I have to think as to whether or not the higher grin factor is worth the warranty risk.

This message is to those with the 5.0 supercharged owners. Are these motors bulletproof? Have they been around with limited problems (unlike the Ford 5.4 OHC timing chain/oiling/phaser issues)? For those of you who have flashed your ECUs - would you do it again? Have you had any drive-ability issues? Have you heard any reliability issues with regard these 5.0 motors where I may have some risk? Have you heard where Jag was doing maintenance and flagged the fact there was a different tune or pulley and made a stink?

Your candid answers would be appreciated since I'm a torque junky and I going nuts with this decision!
I have an XFR and I would do it again in a heartbeat. With an XF Supercharged you're getting so much more that it's a no brainer. Patrick813 has tuned his XFR as well and drives his more aggressively and many more miles than I do and he's had no issues. For me the intake and exhaust changes combined with the tune/pulley are what give the car a character nothing else provides for the money.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Finally got around to installing the Vtec tune in my F type R (2015) with good results.

I'm a 'techno savage' when it comes to computers so a couple of calls to Stuart seemed to get me through the process.

As I have a rear wheel drive and in spite of the PSS rubber, I decided to stay with the stage 1 tune due to traction and after driving the car for an hour or so, I think that the tune alone is enough for me.

Although the tune is just over 10% increase it feels like more, likely due to the fact the power comes on so much more quickly now. So, it comes on more quickly and it does feel more powerful across the range.

With fairly normal driving it came on quite fast and not being used to it I backed off a little on the pedal which cut the power back so fast it felt jerky.. (cop next to me) and I'm sure once I get used to it, the acceleration will smooth right out.

Highly recommended at this point.
Lawrence

Desert Dawg (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Not to worry. Once you've mastered the current power, you'll soon want more.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Desert Dawg (05-29-2017), Mulmur (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Ain't that the truth!

Mulmur (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
With fairly normal driving it came on quite fast and not being used to it I backed off a little on the pedal which cut the power back so fast it felt jerky.. (cop next to me) and I'm sure once I get used to it, the acceleration will smooth right out.
Some people have noted a jerkiness or touchy throttle with the increased power. This can easily be rectified with a change to the pedal mapping and VAP can take care of that for you.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stohlen:
AJF (05-30-2017), dwmilton (05-03-2020), Mulmur (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 11:49 PM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I really want to pull the trigger on the VAP tune myself. I should have thought harder before laying down some coin on the extended warranty...lol.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
I really want to pull the trigger on the VAP tune myself. I should have thought harder before laying down some coin on the extended warranty...lol.
Is the extended warranty underwritten by Jag or a 3rd party? If by 3rd party, they'll never look into your mods and a good dealer will not make an issue of it since it's no skin off their nose.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-30-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Desert Dawg (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:23 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Some people have noted a jerkiness or touchy throttle with the increased power. This can easily be rectified with a change to the pedal mapping and VAP can take care of that for you.
Ah thanks for posting this guys. I just installed on my V6S and I have the same issue. I'll get in touch with Stuart and Chris

Last edited by AJF; 05-30-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Is the extended warranty underwritten by Jag or a 3rd party? If by 3rd party, they'll never look into your mods and a good dealer will not make an issue of it since it's no skin off their nose.
The warranty is with a third party but administered by the Jag dealer. I initially had same thoughts and wanted to ask the dealer how "mod" friendly they were but then chickened out as I didn't want to flag my car if their answer was "not very"...lol. But you might be right about the risk being lower since the warranty rests with someone else. After reading some of the reviews in this thread, I think it might be worth the risk!

I guess I should send Stuart a PM.

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 05-30-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2017, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
The warranty is with a third party but administered by the Jag dealer. I initially had same thoughts and wanted to ask the dealer how "mod" friendly they were but then chickened out as I didn't want to flag my car if their answer was "not very"...lol. But you might be right about the risk being lower since the warranty rests with someone else. After reading some of the reviews in this thread, I think it might be worth the risk!

I guess I should send Stuat a PM.
Under the third party warranty on my MINI, the dealer never questioned the mods.

Desert Dawg (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

So... Thrashed a V6S around a race track last week. Noting that car is lower geared than mine, it held on to its torque over 5k rpm significantly better. So I'm thinking 340-380-400 is just a matter of throttle position* with fuel and ignition mapping to suit...

So: Noting the increase in Jaguar's stated output for the V8 over the last 5+ years in various models, how much higher will the V6 go?

*The bypass valve will need to be opened less at high rpm to suit.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
So... Thrashed a V6S around a race track last week. Noting that car is lower geared than mine, it held on to its torque over 5k rpm significantly better. So I'm thinking 340-380-400 is just a matter of throttle position* with fuel and ignition mapping to suit...

So: Noting the increase in Jaguar's stated output for the V8 over the last 5+ years in various models, how much higher will the V6 go?

*The bypass valve will need to be opened less at high rpm to suit.
420-425 is all they'll get out of a tune alone. At 400hp, the V6 is already generating far more power/liter than an SVR.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-30-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:07 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Question for @Unhingd or anyone, since I will be installing the lower and upper pulleys on my V8, I have a question about what happens when I load back the original tune while running both the pulleys. The reason I am curious is that I always return my tune back to OEM when taking the car in for work, upgrades, etc. Will driving the car with OEM tunes and pulley result in some sort of damage to the car?

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R