Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I am still waiting to get my next hp/tq fix after the crank pulley install. The upper sc pulley continues to mock me from the table, whispering sweet nothings in my ear so that I install him and enjoy the next performance high that awaits. So tempted but the whole it's not a reversible upgrade keeps at bay, for the meantime.

I am hearing the same whispers coming from the crank pulley sitting on my table....getting a baseline dyno today and install begins tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
zmoothg (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Is there anyone on the forum that has a V8R with both the crank and supercharger pulley installed? What hp/tq numbers are they seeing? Was searching the forum, but the only people I see running both pulleys are the V6Ss.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Is there anyone on the forum that has a V8R with both the crank and supercharger pulley installed? What hp/tq numbers are they seeing? Was searching the forum, but the only people I see running both pulleys are the V6Ss.
Not that i'm aware of. At least no one whos dyno'd. But really the numbers are meaningless without before and after.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a question related to the footprint/evidence/code left by a VAP (or any ECU tune) that is then overwritten by the factory tune. I think I know the answer, but I will ask it anyway. Is there a date associated to the code that pops for the ECU? Could you plead ignorance as 'not the original owner' and say it must have been the prior owner? Seems like a wide open loop hole if you could, so I would imagine there is a date/time stamp of some sort associated to the code.

If I knew that the Jag dealer would still honor my CPO, I would have already worked out the specifics and got the tune. (sorry unhinged, I would probably ask you for some help with the pulley and getting on a dyno down in your neck of the woods). One thing I read a couple pages back in this post scared me off a little bit went something like "am I sacrificing engine life to some degree, probably but its worth it". While I know you shouldn't buy a car if you cant afford to maintain it, blowing an engine in a car like this is not something I expect from normal or even somewhat spirited driving. Oh yea, and the pulley comment above, I know that would be a dead give away at the dealership....so I would have to consider the tune only.

Also - Does tracking your car void the warranty to some degree as well? Someone was hesitant to install a tune due to voiding the warranty, but isn't tracking and blowing the engine result in a similar result?

Great posts and info to everyone contributing...

Old 09-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
I have a question related to the footprint/evidence/code left by a VAP (or any ECU tune) that is then overwritten by the factory tune. I think I know the answer, but I will ask it anyway. Is there a date associated to the code that pops for the ECU? Could you plead ignorance as 'not the original owner' and say it must have been the prior owner? Seems like a wide open loop hole if you could, so I would imagine there is a date/time stamp of some sort associated to the code.

If I knew that the Jag dealer would still honor my CPO, I would have already worked out the specifics and got the tune. (sorry unhinged, I would probably ask you for some help with the pulley and getting on a dyno down in your neck of the woods). One thing I read a couple pages back in this post scared me off a little bit went something like "am I sacrificing engine life to some degree, probably but its worth it". While I know you shouldn't buy a car if you cant afford to maintain it, blowing an engine in a car like this is not something I expect from normal or even somewhat spirited driving. Oh yea, and the pulley comment above, I know that would be a dead give away at the dealership....so I would have to consider the tune only.

Also - Does tracking your car void the warranty to some degree as well? Someone was hesitant to install a tune due to voiding the warranty, but isn't tracking and blowing the engine result in a similar result?

Great posts and info to everyone contributing...
Increasing the power performance of any engine will result in more stress on the engine, reducing the life of the engine. There are changes you can make to the internals of the engine to compensate for the extra stress, but without doing that more power is equivalent to more stress. This is a physics of the universe and applies to pretty much everything, not just engines.

In terms of the dealer and Jaguar. Every time the dealership connects your car to their OBD system it automatically uploads to Jaguar. So Jaguar likely has an very accurate record of each and every tuned car and when they first detected the tune. If JLR hasn't seen a P167F before you had the car, I would assume they would assume it was done by you.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:32 AM

Thanks zmoothg, what you said makes sense from a tuning perspective. What are the types of changes that can be made to offset the extra stress of a tune? If its in here, I apologize for not seeing it.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Thanks zmoothg, what you said makes sense from a tuning perspective. What are the types of changes that can be made to offset the extra stress of a tune? If its in here, I apologize for not seeing it.
Tufftride the crank, forged rods and pistons

The following users liked this post:
zmoothg (09-25-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 02:49 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Tufftride the crank, forged rods and pistons
Lance, thanks for introducing me to the cool-sounding ferritic nitrocarburizing. Never heard of that, though have heard of case hardening, of course.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:53 PM

"Tufftride the crank, forged rods and pistons" - I feel like I am charlie brown talking to someone on the phone.

All I know is that sounds pretty involved (i.e. $$)

Old 09-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Very. I used to do that on my race engines.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

"Tufftride the crank, forged rods and pistons" - I feel like I am charlie brown talking to someone on the phone.

It is.....and it's also not required unless you start pushing beyond what a good tune will do.

Dave

Old 09-08-2017, 03:11 PM

Humor me for a moment, and I know this is 100% hypothetical, subjective, guesstimate, etc...but bear with me.

Person A. Lets say the average F-Type V6s engines typically lasted 15yrs and 150k miles with spirited driving (no tracking, nothing extreme). The way one would expect the average person to drive this car. Regular maintenance, oil changes, etc... is performed.

Person B. Now lets say someone 80yrs old buys an F-Type V6s car and drives it very conservatively and does all the regular maintenance etc..would you assume, on average, they would get more engine life?

Person C. Now lets say that a 40 something buys an F-Type V6s and drives the car similar to Person A but with a tune similar to the ones we are talking about on this forum that provides an additional 30-40horses and additional torque. Similar driver to Person A, but driving to take advantage of the additional power. Assuming the average life speculated above for Person A, can I expect to only get 10yrs and 100k? Are we talking only a fraction of a difference in expected life span of the engine or a larger percentage?

I know this is totally speculative but I am curious what impact a tune could really have on the lifespan of the engine. Perhaps its other components that will be impacted first.

thanks for going down hypothetical lane with me.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Assuming the engine has no inherent manufacturing flaws, getting 100000 to 150000 miles out of a properly tuned engine should not be a problem. I hope to put 250000 to 300000 miles on my car before the grim reaper pays a visit. I have factored an engine rebuild or replacement into the equation.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:24 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I would think that proper and timely scheduled maintenance is more important to long engine life than anything else.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I think your reference is Charlie Browns teachers (wahntwantnwan...) talking to Charlie except it's our resident Jaguar teacher talking to a us. We're lucky to have one.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:36 PM

I stand corrected, charlie browns teacher...but I think I have seen charlie brown be on the receiving end of the (wahntwantnwan...).

Considering my F is at 15k and I drive it about 3-5k per year, I am probably worrying about some long term effects that I will never encounter.

Based on your 'hopes' unhingd, you feel 100k is a conservative estimate, even tuned. It would take me over 15yrs to get there at my current pace.

Now to get over the potential warranty headaches is the next step...

Old 09-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I would think that proper and timely scheduled maintenance is more important to long engine life than anything else.
Agreed.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
+1.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I have a tuned XFR. One thing that you must ask is how often will I exceed the max power/torque of the stock engine? The tune only puts "extra" stress on the engine if you are going flat out. Otherwise, it just makes the engine operate with more power at a given RPM and is actually more efficient when not driven hard.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but the additional power would need to be applied in a very abrupt manner or operated in the upper RPM range for long periods before any additional wear or stress would be created over driving similarly on a stock engine. If you drove your stock vehicle very aggressively you would also have a shorter lifespan because of the heat, etc. created by that type of driving.

In racing, there are guys with certain driving/riding styles that break cars/bikes more often. It usually plagues them early in their careers until they stop driving/riding in that manner and adopt a smoother style. So my advice is add some power, just apply it a bit more smoothly and don't bounce off the rev limiter and you'll be fine.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Thats a great point XFR and something I wondered myself. If 75% of driving is pretty tame, the engine would not experience any additional stress/wear just because its tuned.

It would only be the net difference in what the stock V6s would produce vs what a tuned V6s would produce and accessing that additional delta is where the extra stress occurs.

And thats more of a question than a statement, since I don't know it to be factually true.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R