VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
With tune and pulley

[...]

As opposed to lag, the power comes on more quickly than I was originally comfortable with. You have to be judicious with throttle input until you get over 4000 rpm.
With tune alone, throttle is notably more sensitive just below 2000rpm, but easily manageable.

Before the tune there was a feel of "turbo lag" even without a turbo. It was all in electronic limits. There were times I felt like it needed a moment to decide I really meant it when I gave it the gas. It decides more quickly now ;^)

Old 09-28-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Agree with the others, the throttle response if very quick below 4K, it takes a while get the hang of it, but I kind of like it.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes very sensitive under 4K, I'm trying to work out best way to launch car from a stop. DSC seems to get confused in standard mode when you mash throttle and thinks about it then upshifts at about 5K. When I put the foot down in TracDSC I think get too much wheel spin for efficienent acceleration. Maybe more I drive car the ECU will learn and launch better? Anyone else had car hesitating dig to 40MPH?

Old 09-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Disregard. Still getting used to the navigation

Last edited by ehansen007; 09-29-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by v6madness
When I put the foot down in TracDSC I think get too much wheel spin for efficienent acceleration.
You do realize, of course, that the pedal is not an on/off switch.

If you drive aggressively, the ECU actually makes the throttle even more sensitive. On smooth surfaces, I have gotten the hang of smooth power delivery. But if on bumpy surfaces, all bets are off. I need some more fine tuning on the throttle mapping.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

The tune is for me as much about aggressive throttle response as power. For those days you want to putt about, just drop in the stock tune, but that is noooo fun. It is fun for me to learn to drive a vehicle with more immediate response especially in a vehicle that handles and grips like an F-Type. It was a little scarier in my Shelby 500 KR. Some days fun, some days dangerous!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Stwsam
The tune is for me as much about aggressive throttle response as power. For those days you want to putt about, just drop in the stock tune, but that is noooo fun. It is fun for me to learn to drive a vehicle with more immediate response especially in a vehicle that handles and grips like an F-Type. It was a little scarier in my Shelby 500 KR. Some days fun, some days dangerous!
It's all about ankle recalibration. If I drive my ES350 too long without taking the Jag, I'm much more jerky. 5-10 minutes later, all is well again. But you have to develop the MUCH more precise inputs to be good. Only took about a month of occasional driving to do it initially. With mine, my throttle inputs are typically less than an inch when driving normally. Reminds me of the throttle of my ZX-10. No ham fists will be tolerated.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
If you restore the stock tune with the VAP tool, it does leave behind a code. My aftermarket tools don't detect it, but the VAP tool does and so does the tool the dealer uses. It indicates "non-factory calibration." It hasn't given me trouble, but I did have to do some 'splaining to the service folks at the dealer.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
Originally Posted by lizzardo
If you restore the stock tune with the VAP tool, it does leave behind a code. My aftermarket tools don't detect it, but the VAP tool does and so does the tool the dealer uses. It indicates "non-factory calibration." It hasn't given me trouble, but I did have to do some 'splaining to the service folks at the dealer.
I did say that, back in July. Was there something you meant to add? A question or comment?

I can elaborate: The code left behind when the original file is restored is not because the "tune" is now different than original, but because the ECU was written with a programmer not recognized as "factory." That's the very short version of the explanation I've received.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

sorry - this was a case of a stupid mobile internet version of an Android Chrome browser when it hit this forum's website. It got me in some mode on my phone that took numerous attempts to get out of. I believe this posting was the collateral damage. Have I shared with you yet today how much I hate (crappy, inconsistently coded) cellular technology!?!

Old 10-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
sorry - this was a case of a stupid mobile internet version of an Android Chrome browser when it hit this forum's website. It got me in some mode on my phone that took numerous attempts to get out of. I believe this posting was the collateral damage. Have I shared with you yet today how much I hate (crappy, inconsistently coded) cellular technology!?!
That sounds like crappy application coding, not specific to cellular technology. Nevertheless, I understand the frustration.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelW
Agree with the others, the throttle response if very quick below 4K, it takes a while get the hang of it, but I kind of like it.
I have a 2015 V6 S
Anyone else's car "lurch" when you hit a particular point in throttle position? Mine jumps when I am at about 35% throttle up to about 45%, tested using live OBDII unit . It's so abrupt that if I'm in a turn the back end kicks out so I have been using the stock tune. Trying to have Stuart sort it out, just wondering if anyone else had the same problem

Old 10-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Stock tune, it does this on mine. Better tires help, as PZeroes are garbage. Not accelerating into the corner also helps. Also seems to be more pronounced in rain and normal mode, but track mode is a lot less pronounced.

My solution is to always drive in a track mode with a led foot.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:56 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by SinF
Stock tune, it does this on mine. Better tires help, as PZeroes are garbage. Not accelerating into the corner also helps. Also seems to be more pronounced in rain and normal mode, but track mode is a lot less pronounced.

My solution is to always drive in a track mode with a led foot.
That's odd as it's the opposite of mine, you'd think the stock tune would be ok It happens in both modes on my car but much more pronounced in Sport mode. It's bad enough that I won't drive with the VAP tune, it's no fun having to change my driving habits dealing with it

I know about the P-Zeros, I had them on my previous car, Ill be changing over to Michelins as I did before

Old 10-30-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
That's odd as it's the opposite of mine, you'd think the stock tune would be ok It happens in both modes on my car but much more pronounced in Sport mode. It's bad enough that I won't drive with the VAP tune, it's no fun having to change my driving habits dealing with it

I know about the P-Zeros, I had them on my previous car, Ill be changing over to Michelins as I did before
I'm not entirely sure what issues you might be having handled by Stuart. He'll be in Vegas@SEMA this week, so it might be awhile for him to catch up on his emails/response.

Although, if your having an issue with the tune, it's always wise to contact me(Hi, I'm Chris!) or at the bare minimum cc me in the email(I'm the one that created and sent you the mod file). Drop me a msg, and I can adjust the tune to suit your concerns. When you bought our tune, you didn't buy an "off the self" software, it's custom done to each car and to each preference. If there's something of concern, I can edit at will!!
My email: tuning@velocityap.com

Just an FYI to all on the forum:
By sending an email to Stuart alone for tech support on the tune will inevitably prolong the response(he gets over 100 emails a day..no joke). If you have an issue with sales/billing/product inquires/some fitment issues, he's your man!! If you have an issue with tuning tech support related to our tuning products, I'm that man!!

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
DJS (10-30-2017), JagRag (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 01:14 PM
AJF

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
I'm not entirely sure what issues you might be having handled by Stuart. He'll be in Vegas@SEMA this week, so it might be awhile for him to catch up on his emails/response.

Although, if your having an issue with the tune, it's always wise to contact me(Hi, I'm Chris!) or at the bare minimum cc me in the email(I'm the one that created and sent you the mod file). Drop me a msg, and I can adjust the tune to suit your concerns. When you bought our tune, you didn't buy an "off the self" software, it's custom done to each car and to each preference. If there's something of concern, I can edit at will!!
My email: tuning@velocityap.com

Just an FYI to all on the forum:
By sending an email to Stuart alone for tech support on the tune will inevitably prolong the response(he gets over 100 emails a day..no joke). If you have an issue with sales/billing/product inquires/some fitment issues, he's your man!! If you have an issue with tuning tech support related to our tuning products, I'm that man!!
Ah thanks Chris! I'll email you right now

Old 10-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
I have a 2015 V6 S
Anyone else's car "lurch" when you hit a particular point in throttle position? Mine jumps when I am at about 35% throttle up to about 45%, tested using live OBDII unit . It's so abrupt that if I'm in a turn the back end kicks out so I have been using the stock tune. Trying to have Stuart sort it out, just wondering if anyone else had the same problem
Have been dealing with the same issue, but have learned to finesse the throttle to drive it safely. I will reach out to Chris to have him look into it.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Have been dealing with the same issue, but have learned to finesse the throttle to drive it safely. I will reach out to Chris to have him look into it.
Had the same issue as everyone else when I installed the VAP tune. Chris fixed this by making a more progressive throttle map for my car that requires less finesse at part throttle. I never run into this anymore.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Is there a solution for non-tuned cars to this without getting custom throttle map uploaded? Ideally involving JLR parts/patch?

Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the current VAP tune sale. For my 13 XF AWD with the SC V6, which pulley would I want to replace and what gains would I see beyond a tune only? If the pulley just spins the SC faster by a certain percent, would the gains from the pulley swap be equal across all rpms?

Anyone with the V6 SC who did the VAP tune and then later the pulley, was it worth it and what differences did you feel? Thanks!

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R