Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Brava
I can feel the tune in my v6s, and the more I drive it the faster it feels versus stock. Stuart, is this just my imagination or the tune gets better after several days?

i am schedlued for pulley on Wednesday 😀
It can go either way. For example, we had my friend's 2015 R on the dyno couple years ago when we were testing headers. We ran it through a baseline, SVR software, our software just for the sake of it while it was up there on the dyno. If you can believe it, the SVR software made something crazy like 60WHP more than the 'R' software. Except that when we then re-flashed the stock software onto the car and ran it again, the re-flashed stock software gained another 45WHP or so, from it's own previous runs (I'm using broad brush strokes here because I'm too lazy to go dig out the dyno sheets right now.) Point is - he had been on the track for 2 days. The car was running rich as all hell, and probably limiting torque demand and/or pulling timing. So one thing we always do is to verify the stock software against itself when establishing baselines. It is a very easy way to cheat the results if you don't.

So in that case, I could easily have showed you a before and after dyno, of the stock software on the R, versus our tune, showing something nuts like a 75WHP gain, and while it would have been *true* that it was stock vs. VAP, it would have been entirely unrepeatable and a misrepresentation of the true difference.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 08-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
It can go either way. For example, we had my friend's 2015 R on the dyno couple years ago when we were testing headers. We ran it through a baseline, SVR software, our software just for the sake of it while it was up there on the dyno. If you can believe it, the SVR software made something crazy like 60WHP more than the 'R' software. Except that when we then re-flashed the stock software onto the car and ran it again, the re-flashed stock software gained another 45WHP or so, from it's own previous runs (I'm using broad brush strokes here because I'm too lazy to go dig out the dyno sheets right now.) Point is - he had been on the track for 2 days. The car was running rich as all hell, and probably limiting torque demand and/or pulling timing. So one thing we always do is to verify the stock software against itself when establishing baselines. It is a very easy way to cheat the results if you don't.

So in that case, I could easily have showed you a before and after dyno, of the stock software on the R, versus our tune, showing something nuts like a 75WHP gain, and while it would have been *true* that it was stock vs. VAP, it would have been entirely unrepeatable and a misrepresentation of the true difference.
Not only that it would quickly be questioned why was the R not making the factory power levels and you can normally spot on the dyno plot when these cars go into enrichment or cat protection mode.

When I ran my SVR on the dyno, we made sure it was mega cool but upto temperature and ran it, the curves are beatiful linear, with no dips or waves at all and not only that it made 610PS on that particular dyno, needless to say I was happy and whether true or not, the car has certainly backed up its healthy dyno results with some fantastic quarter mile results too which are pretty much on par with most tuned + pulley cars, so I am quite happy and though I'd like to tune because you can never have enough power, I have to ask myself as already stated here is a couple thousand dollars worth the risk on such an expensive car, plus as its an SVR which in the UK is rather rare, less than 200 total on the road including convertibles, tuning it would no doubt greatly impact its valuation as for one I'd not be able to extend warranty with Jaguar.

I want more power, but at the same time I don't want the risk and I don't want to de-value the car. At the moment SVR values in the UK are holding very firm and as by end of next year the SVR will be discontinued they will become a rather rare car and no doubt continuing holding firm or even appreciate in value.

P.S. Unless it was faxed or emailed! To be frank its pretty damn sad state of affairs when people start talking legal and suing, damn guys, its a bloody forum, FREEDOM OF SPEECH and everyone opinion, as long as it is civil and constructive then there is no issue.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 08-02-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Looking for some feedback from anyone with an V8R. What have you seen as the max vehicle speed difference on the stock file versus our tuned file?

ex: What is max vehicle speed on stock file - what is max vehicle speed on our tune file.

If someone has dyno result showing, that would be even better. Can either dm or email tuning@velocityap.com

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 08-13-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibi
Just installed the tune yesterday and all I can say is WOW. This is well worth the money spent. Totally transformed the car, it’s very noticeable on the v8s, especially in the the mid range area. To be honest I wasn’t expecting the difference to be so dramatic. Looking forward to seeing the difference on the dyno.
Only problem is now the realization sets in on how bad the stock Pirelli tires perform. I could live with them on the stock tune, I figured I would just wait until they ware out. Not now, I definitely will be changing them sooner than later.
Thank you Stuart!
Tonight I finally installed the 550hp R-Tune to my 495hp V8S. I expected a subtle improvement.

I was wrong.

Wow! There's a new level of roar in this cat! Nothing subtle about the results from the update.

thx Stuart!

Old 08-29-2018, 11:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pjr300
Tonight I finally installed the 550hp R-Tune to my 495hp V8S. I expected a subtle improvement.

I was wrong.

Wow! There's a new level of roar in this cat! Nothing subtle about the results from the update.

thx Stuart!
Hey PJR. How does the response of the car differ from ~80 - 120? I notice the stock tune seems to hold back a little, almost like there is a flat spot in the torque curve. Still fast, just feels like the engine is holding back a little.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:22 AM

I haven't noticed that in stock tune, but maybe it is something that that your ECU "learned" or a matter of being in the right gear. Whatever the car was before, it is in beast mode now. This am I took it out on the freeway from 70-100 (too much traffic and speed trap risk to go faster) and it was very strong through the range.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by pjr300

I was wrong.

thx Stuart!

I had a similar experience going from stock 550 HP to the VAP 605 tune, Curious why you chose to stop at 550? Same price and warranty impact. You may want to have Stuart send you the next file :-)

Old 09-01-2018, 12:36 PM

Is the process to reteach the ECU just to leave the battery unhooked for a few mins? If so, is the main battery the only one that needs to be disconnected (I thought I read somewhere that start/stop has its own battery somewhere as well).

Old 09-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrnout
Is the process to reteach the ECU just to leave the battery unhooked for a few mins? If so, is the main battery the only one that needs to be disconnected (I thought I read somewhere that start/stop has its own battery somewhere as well).
The ECU is constantly "re-learning". No need to reboot to reset the computer. However, if you do need to reboot any of the modules, disconnecting the main battery is sufficient. You can leave the small ECO battery connected.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The ECU is constantly "re-learning". No need to reboot to reset the computer. However, if you do need to reboot any of the modules, disconnecting the main battery is sufficient. You can leave the small ECO battery connected.
Might try a reset, see if makes a difference. Car is definitely not slow through the range, just feels a little less aggressive than the 0-60 Sprint.

Has anyone put the VAP 605 tune on a V8S? Would be curious how that would turn out. If I'm not mistaken, the SVR has some additional cooling hardware in the engine compared to the V8R/V8S, presumably for the extra power. Would an even higher power tune in the V8S just be a grenade waiting to happen or does the tune include all the fail-safes necessary to protect it?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrnout
Has anyone put the VAP 605 tune on a V8S? Would be curious how that would turn out. If I'm not mistaken, the SVR has some additional cooling hardware in the engine compared to the V8R/V8S, presumably for the extra power. Would an even higher power tune in the V8S just be a grenade waiting to happen or does the tune include all the fail-safes necessary to protect it?
I have the 605 tune on my 2014 V8S, and have had zero problems in the year and a half I’ve had the tune installed. That said, I did remove the cheesy plastic engine cover as I’ve heard those can cause engines to retain a bit of extra heat, but I was just being overly cautious when I did that.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I had a similar experience going from stock 550 HP to the VAP 605 tune, Curious why you chose to stop at 550? Same price and warranty impact. You may want to have Stuart send you the next file :-)
Oh, I have the 605 file waiting in the wings! Getting used to this one first before I make another jump.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I took my F Type for the first service after the tune. I flashed back to stock, told the service advisor that I had a tune and had zero issues. Your results may vary.

I also had an opportunity to drive the stock tune and compare it to the Velocity AP tune. The difference was huge to the point where the cold start was less loud with the stock tune. Flashing back to the Velocity AP tune turned my car into a beast, louder and faster than stock with a hefty dose of low end torque.

Last edited by speedski; 09-11-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

same results as speeski, two services since tune no problems.

1. flashed back to stock, went in for paint work and they updated the stock file (after i specifically mentioned that i was tuned and not to update, honest mistake on my dealers part), making my tunes no longer good, Chris at VAP had me reworked tunes (with some other goodies also incorporated) in a few days. ran that tune for almost a year. ZERO ISSUES

2. Did Pulley, plugs, catless pipes, requiring new tunes, again in a few days Chris had me a list of tunes to try (each one slightly different). loaded them up, car is a BEAST and i have to completely learn how to drive it again (in a good way). Took it in for the final service under warranty no issues.

Iv been working with Stewart/Chris/VAP since i'v owned my f-type and it has been nothing but top-notch. They may not be cheapest option but i am loyal to people who treat me good.

The following users liked this post:
Chawumba (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

The difference for the base v6 is also so big that I have to drive it differently. Honestly at sea level from 0 to 50 or 60, I thought that the stock tune was pretty quick. Then I put the VAP tune back on and I scared myself on the first acceleration pull.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
same results as speeski, two services since tune no problems.

1. flashed back to stock, went in for paint work and they updated the stock file (after i specifically mentioned that i was tuned and not to update, honest mistake on my dealers part), making my tunes no longer good, Chris at VAP had me reworked tunes (with some other goodies also incorporated) in a few days. ran that tune for almost a year. ZERO ISSUES

2. Did Pulley, plugs, catless pipes, requiring new tunes, again in a few days Chris had me a list of tunes to try (each one slightly different). loaded them up, car is a BEAST and i have to completely learn how to drive it again (in a good way). Took it in for the final service under warranty no issues.

Iv been working with Stewart/Chris/VAP since i'v owned my f-type and it has been nothing but top-notch. They may not be cheapest option but i am loyal to people who treat me good.

Refreshing to hear from those with real world (positive) experience! Chris and Stuart do go above and beyond, no reason to go anywhere else....

Last edited by Chawumba; 09-12-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Refreshing to hear from those with real world (positive) experience! Chris and Steward do go above and beyond, no reason to go anywhere else....
+1.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Warranty is finally up so time to pull the trigger on the VAP tune (V6S) RWD. What tires are recommended to cope with the extra power? My stock PZeros are worn down to the wires. Also, would it make sense to upsize from 295 to 305?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Miauuu
Warranty is finally up so time to pull the trigger on the VAP tune (V6S) RWD. What tires are recommended to cope with the extra power? My stock PZeros are worn down to the wires. Also, would it make sense to upsize from 295 to 305?
I'm a fan of Michelin PSS and PS4. Your rear mag width should be 10.5in, which is the minimal width for a 305 tire. I'd just get wtv size is best suited in the style tire you choose. (ie: if 305's are only avail in the model of choice then go for it, but if 295's are avail and cheaper then it's a no brainer). If you plan on changing wheels, then a wider tire would be best suited if it's a 11 or 12in mag

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 10-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

According to Michelin, 10.5” rims will safely accommodate 285-305 tires, but Chris is correct that the 295 tire is best suited to ensure maximal tire patch. When ordering a new set of wheels, I will be going with an 11” rim to get full benefit of the 305s.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-11-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R