Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Bring on the Black Friday sales

in the meantime, where can you buy a pulley puller for this platform

Last edited by domino_z; 09-20-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z

Zero chance of finding one in Oz, and after mucho searching I can't find one for sale or hire anywhere on the planet!
Plenty for the old Eaton SCs such as the M90 and M112 but zilch for the TVS.
But they are not quite Unicorns, they do exist, so with any luck someone else "in the know" will chime in.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting too!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhorze
I'm waiting too!

Yes please! Just purchased a V6S in british racing green. Such a nice car it is.
Not sure yet, but if the black friday sales are good enough I may buy the ecu+pulley

Old 09-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aydeen
Yes please! Just purchased a V6S in british racing green. Such a nice car it is.
Not sure yet, but if the black friday sales are good enough I may buy the ecu+pulley
Yup, that's my target too. Maybe even the paddle shifters

Old 09-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, is there any news/work in progress for MY2018-ON ECU flashing tool instead of using the CMD flash tool?

Old 09-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Wtg for Black Friday here too.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Parts

For those of you looking for discounts on the parts, i had purchased all of them, intent on installing on my R AWD. Car had issues prior to install, so i just have all the parts sitting around now. I have both pulleys, the charge cooler (upgraded supercharger radiator), 30 mm drop springs, full bushings kit, and cat back exhaust all available (These are all the original paramount performance and viezu parts, fully compatible with VAPS tuning, very high quality and much more expensive originally. I am essentially trying to get rid of all these parts and am selling for 70% off what i paid, and quite a bit less than what they are listed for on VAP. All the parts are brand new. Let me know if yall have any interest, i seriously am selling what i have left for next to nothing!

Chris 6159337682

Old 10-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Answers apply to the R only.
1. False, the combination will not overdrive the R1900 beyond Eaton's recommended maximum spin for that SC.
2. True, maximum available upper pulley differential is 8.3%. Maximum lower differential is 11.8 %. And, yes, the lower pulley is much easier to replace and can be removed without destruction. The upper OEM most times cannot be salvaged.
3. When replacing the upper pulley, a smaller belt can be sourced by using a V6 OEM belt. When replacing the lower pulley, only one sided belts come in the right size, so a smooth idler pulley needs to be installed to accommodate. Adds to the materials cost (minor), but the total labor effort (and cost) is much less than swapping out the upper pulley.
4. Traditionally everyone has started by swapping out the upper pulley and that was the only pulley available until early this year. There's only one supplier I know of for the +18mm lower pulley, and VAP is sourcing it from them.
Originally Posted by Unhingd
Please note, after checking my spreadsheet, the +18mm actually increases SC speed by 11.8%. See the tables below: ( the V6 starts with a 62mm pulley rather than the 66mm that is on the V8):

As mentioned above, the V6 increase is smaller since it already starts with a smaller upper pulley from the factory.
I was reading through this entire thread as I was interested in upgrading my crank pulley and getting a tune. These two posts caught my interest as I was also trying to figure out whether to get both pulleys on my V8 XFR.

On this point "1. False, the combination will not overdrive the R1900 beyond Eaton's recommended maximum spin for that SC.". If VAPs lower crank pulley is 170mm and upper pulley is 62mm, according to the table posted, the supercharger will spin at 18,645 RPM at redline. Looking at Eaton's website for the R1900 specs (https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...fications.html), they state the max RPM on this unit is 18,000. So, wouldn't the dual pulleys overdrive the supercharger and be inefficient on V8 cars?

The V6 cars theoretically, although very close to the limit, should be able to handle the 60.5mm and 170mm pulley combo as that would mean the supercharger will spin at 19,107 RPM at redline according to that table and Eaton's website (https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...fications.html) for the R1320 lists the max RPM at 20,000.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
I was reading through this entire thread as I was interested in upgrading my crank pulley and getting a tune. These two posts caught my interest as I was also trying to figure out whether to get both pulleys on my V8 XFR.

On this point "1. False, the combination will not overdrive the R1900 beyond Eaton's recommended maximum spin for that SC.". If VAPs lower crank pulley is 170mm and upper pulley is 62mm, according to the table posted, the supercharger will spin at 18,645 RPM at redline. Looking at Eaton's website for the R1900 specs (https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...fications.html), they state the max RPM on this unit is 18,000. So, wouldn't the dual pulleys overdrive the supercharger and be inefficient on V8 cars?

The V6 cars theoretically, although very close to the limit, should be able to handle the 60.5mm and 170mm pulley combo as that would mean the supercharger will spin at 19,107 RPM at redline according to that table and Eaton's website (https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...fications.html) for the R1320 lists the max RPM at 20,000.
Eaton lists the R1320 peak of 20,000rpm. However, the Audi 3.0L community has proven 23,999rpm is the tipping stone. At the 24,000rpm point, the market currently does not have a solution for; 1.cool down the IAT's above 3.35ish PR, 2. tune effectively on stock ecu at that PR because ecu highest axis limit is 1389mg/stk, 3. HPFP maxed out at 99.99999% duty.

To avoid any type of detonation, WM and minimum of E40 mix would be required.

On the JLR system, running meth can be complicated to do it right. If you inject pre throttle, your soaking the IAT pre-charger temp sensor and pre-charger MAP sensor, fools ecu in a horrible way that skews the ignition timing and AFR. To run WM on the 3.0/5.0 JLR, it needs to be injected after the throttle and away from these 2 sensors. That only leaves drilling the top plenum cover or making a spacer for the plenum.

On the JLR units, we've found the upper pulley is not recommended if the our larger crank pulley is installed. Reason being, 99.99999% of dataloggers do NOT monitor "POST-Charged pressure, they also don't log the POST-Intercooler IAT.

We've been digging into datalog tools beyond the SDD2 that can track these important pids. I believe to found one that works in junction with a Tactrix or Mongoose cable. Nonetheless, it's on hold till I get another mule car in for testing..

With the current generic pids all being PRE-charged pressure and PRE-Intercooler temp, we've noticed the PRE-Intercooler IAT is in range of 85C-105C after 3 hot laps with 25-30C ambient DA4500-5500 on the 3.0L and 5.0L with stock file, stock crank, stock upper. By adding the crank can achieve temps of 130C PRE-Intercooler.

The knowledge I have on the Audi community with an R1320, doesn't cross over delta temps because SIMOS8.x monitors the air at Throttle and the air POST-intercooler for each bank. JLR has the temp sensors at Throttle, another at POST-Charger in the middle of manifold cover and another pressure/temp POST-Intercooler on bank 2.

Once I can capture a datalog showing the delta of Throttle IAT, PRE-Intercooler IAT and POST-Intercooler IAT, we'll be able to work at developing a means to control IAT's. Until that point, adding the upper pulley in junction of a lower crank is not going to net more power if you track or drag race with the current stock IAT cooling capabilities. If you wanted that extra power to pass a vehicle on the expressway and then chill afterward, you'd likely be fine depending on the limits you bring the engine rpm.

Some of our clients have installed another companies larger volume heat exchanger, in the logs I've seen for PRE-Intercooler temp, the ignition timing is pulled and the internal bypass is opened up near mid run. Which leads me to believe the POST-Intercooler IAT's are not cooling efficiently enough with the available larger HX. The only data I've seen on the larger volume HX shows the recovery time is faster after run, but delta time before heat soak kicks in remains similar.

Avoiding CAD measurements, these are my vernier caliper spec recorded;
I've measured our crank pulley 176.34.
I've measured our SC pulley 62.38mm.
I've measured the 5.0 stock upper 66mm.
I've measured the stock 3.0 upper 62mm.
Smallest known aftermarket SC upper is 60.5mm (some require clearance/grinding).

Some simple math;
If the 60.5mm upper and 176.34 crank were installed, PR 2.915, making 18,000rpm Eaton quoted R1900 limit would be achieved by 6174rpm (5.0 redline 6600).
If the 62.38mm upper and 176.34 crank were installed, PR 2.827, making 18,000rpm SC speed at 6367rpm (5.0 redline 6600).
If the stock 5.0 upper was left in place, that would drop to PR 2.674, 18,000rpm SC speed at 6731rpm (5.0 redline 6600). The file would requiring tuning to 6800 redline to break the Eaton Quoted barrier of 18,000rpm SC Speed.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following 8 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
DJS (10-08-2019), Jaaaggg (10-08-2019), JgaXkr (10-13-2019), scm (10-08-2019), ss23 (10-09-2019), u102768 (10-08-2019), Unhingd (10-08-2019), XJ8JR (10-08-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Some simple math;
If the 60.5mm upper and 176.34 crank were installed, PR 2.915, making 18,000rpm Eaton quoted R1900 limit would be achieved by 6174rpm (5.0 redline 6600).
If the 62.38mm upper and 176.34 crank were installed, PR 2.827, making 18,000rpm SC speed at 6367rpm (5.0 redline 6600).
If the stock 5.0 upper was left in place, that would drop to PR 2.674, 18,000rpm SC speed at 6731rpm (5.0 redline 6600). The file would requiring tuning to 6800 redline to break the Eaton Quoted barrier of 18,000rpm SC Speed.
Thanks Chris, this is a much more detailed response than I could've hoped for! This is why VAP is well respected in the JLR community. A lot of what you said honestly is beyond my technical understanding, but really useful info I could learn from. Based on what you stated, leaving the stock 5.0 upper pulley and upgrading the crank pulley seems like the optimal choice.

One other question, after I change over to the larger crank pulley, I understand a custom ecu map is required to adjust for it. But when I take the car to the dealer for service, I would want to flash the stock tune in case they need to update the software. Would this throw a CEL since the stock tune can't accommodate for the larger pulley?

Last edited by Jaaaggg; 10-09-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Thanks Chris, this is a much more detailed response than I could've hoped for! This is why VAP is well respected in the JLR community. A lot of what you said honestly is beyond my technical understanding, but really useful info I could learn from. Based on what you stated, leaving the stock 5.0 upper pulley and upgrading the crank pulley seems like the optimal choice.

One other question, after I change over to the larger crank pulley, I understand a custom ecu map is required to adjust for it. But when I take the car to the dealer for service, I would want to flash the stock tune in case they need to update the software. Would this throw a CEL since the stock tune can't accommodate for the larger pulley?
I've yet to hear of a case of triggering a MIL with just the crank pulley on a stock file. The stock file will only trigger a higher pressure fault code if 2200hpa is breached (that's ambient pressure + supercharger pressure). If ambient is around 1010hpa, means you have 1190hpa before limit is maxed and MIL is activated. 1190hpa = 17.26psi. Depending on the platform being 3.0L or 5.0L, it's possible to max out but that would mean your running to redline rpm to hit the cap of 17.26psi. Avoid driving *****-to-the-wall and you'll be fine getting to and from the dealer on stock file with crank pulley installed.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
dwmilton (05-03-2020), Jaaaggg (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Sponsor
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Naif Kasheqri
Hi, is there any news/work in progress for MY2018-ON ECU flashing tool instead of using the CMD flash tool?
At present there's no end user solution, however our dealer network has expanded a great deal, and we may be able to serve you through one of our dealers.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
I've yet to hear of a case of triggering a MIL with just the crank pulley on a stock file. The stock file will only trigger a higher pressure fault code if 2200hpa is breached (that's ambient pressure + supercharger pressure). If ambient is around 1010hpa, means you have 1190hpa before limit is maxed and MIL is activated. 1190hpa = 17.26psi. Depending on the platform being 3.0L or 5.0L, it's possible to max out but that would mean your running to redline rpm to hit the cap of 17.26psi. Avoid driving *****-to-the-wall and you'll be fine getting to and from the dealer on stock file with crank pulley installed.
I'll definitely keep this in mind. I am excited and look forward to the VAP upgrades on my XFR. Is the crank pulley offered in steel or aluminum?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:17 PM

I'll definitely keep this in mind. I am excited and look forward to the VAP upgrades on my XFR. Is the crank pulley offered in steel or aluminum?
VAP SC Upper = Steel
VAP Crank = Aluminum

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 10-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi! I have a couple of questions regarding the tune.
A local garage in my city, doing tunes and mods, applied VAP tune for my '17 V6S AWD

So here are the questions:
1) Any chance to check if they got it oficially from VAP? (considering I'm talking about Russia)
2) If yes, is it possible to get pulley details only without paying for the tune and ask then the garage to reflash it for free since I already paid them ~500$ ?
3) I've also found somewhere that whenever I go to the dealer, I should reflash the tune back to OEM, and if they apply any update, I need to send it to VAP so they could ... aaand here I fail to understand what are their next actions - do VAP patch the updated OEM tune and send it back, and then the garage reflashes my car with it?

Last edited by Nznoonee; 10-12-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Nznoonee
Hi! I have a couple of questions regarding the tune.
A local garage in my city, doing tunes and mods, applied VAP tune for my '17 V6S AWD

So here are the questions:
1) Any chance to check if they got it oficially from VAP? (considering I'm talking about Russia)
2) If yes, is it possible to get pulley details only without paying for the tune and ask then the garage to reflash it for free since I already paid them ~500$ ?
3) I've also found somewhere that whenever I go to the dealer, I should reflash the tune back to OEM, and if they apply any update, I need to send it to VAP so they could ... aaand here I fail to understand what are their next actions - do VAP patch the updated OEM tune and send it back, and then the garage reflashes my car with it?
So who physically has the VAP "V-Tech ECU Programming Tool" (the "box"), you or the garage?
The box doesn't have anything on it identifying it as "genuine VAP", you have to plug it in first (to your PC) to read the screen which should then tell you it is from VAP.
If you paid for it then surely you should have it, the tunes on it are encrypted so they work only with your VIN and can't be used on any other car.
If you paid for it get it back from them, it's yours not theirs!
I suppose the garage could have ordered and paid for the VAP tool after supplying them with your VIN but that is a very strange way of going about it.
When I got my VAP tool I did a "tune only" (no pulley) and added the pulley a few months later, so I asked VAP to put the "with pulley" tune on the tool from the get go ready for the later upgrade. VAP supply three or four tunes with the tool for no extra charge, and they are happy to add extra tunes to the tool at a later date generally free of charge.
And yes, ".....do VAP patch the updated OEM tune and send it back, and then the garage reflashes my car with it?", that is exactly what VAP do. Except there is no need for the garage to flash the new tune on you can and should do it yourself it is child's play.
You use the tool to copy the (now possibly different/new) OEM tune from the car's ECU to the tool, then you take the tool to your PC and connect it via the supplied USB cable and copy the tune to your PC. You then email VAP with that tune file as an attachment, VAP use that file to then build your new "with pulley" tune and they email that new tune back to you. You then load the new tune from your PC onto the tool then plug the tool back into the car's OBD2 port and install/load it, all done!
The VAP tune kit would have included an instruction page explaining this procedure, and two cables - one to connect the tool to the OBD2 port and one to connect it to your PC via USB. If the garage has all this then get it all back from them!
The only caveat with installing the tune yourself is you need to have a fairly powerful battery tender hooked up - preferably at least 30 amps - during the process otherwise you risk bricking the ECU.
My battery tender is only 15 amps but I have used the VAP tool with it four times now with zero problems, but I made sure the tender had run right through it's process to the final "maintain" stage (at which point the battery is putting out 12.7v) before I hooked up the VAP tool.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Contact VAP directly and provide them with your VIN. They’ll be able to tell you whether they supplied the tune.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
So who physically has the VAP "V-Tech ECU Programming Tool" (the "box"), you or the garage?
Wow, first of all thank you for such a detailed answer!

I'm pretty sure now the garage doesn't have any "box", because they couldn't physically get it, since they patched my car the same day I went to them with the request.
And also since it's not just a file or a software patching OEM version, but the whole physical unit - it answers all my questions.

Lol, just realized, I really will have to ask my garage to reflash back to OEM if I decide to go with VAP, right?

P.S. I wonder if anybody compared VAP with other tunes on the market..

Last edited by Nznoonee; 10-13-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Nznoonee
Wow, first of all thank you for such a detailed answer!

I'm pretty sure now the garage doesn't have any "box", because they couldn't physically get it, since they patched my car the same day I went to them with the request.
And also since it's not just a file or a software patching OEM version, but the whole physical unit - it answers all my questions.

Lol, just realized, I really will have to ask my garage to reflash back to OEM if I decide to go with VAP, right?

P.S. I wonder if anybody compared VAP with other tunes on the market..
Yes, you will need to get reflashed back to the OEM tune. We have seen the results of a few tunes, but none of them have exceeded the performance of the VAP tune. VAP also provides outstanding customer service by tweaking the tune to your exact needs.

The following users liked this post:
Nznoonee (10-13-2019)

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R