Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 01:41 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, you will need to get reflashed back to the OEM tune. We have seen the results of a few tunes, but none of them have exceeded the performance of the VAP tune. VAP also provides outstanding customer service by tweaking the tune to your exact needs.
Are there dynos of V8 VAP results? I'd love to increase my Racechip's 560 WHP when my 2014's warranty expires in less than a year.

I have an upper pully and would like to add a lower pulley with VAP if it would get me closer to 700 BHP.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Are there dynos of V8 VAP results? I'd love to increase my Racechip's 560 WHP when my 2014's warranty expires in less than a year.

I have an upper pully and would like to add a lower pulley with VAP if it would get me closer to 700 BHP.
I don’t think you’ll do much better than 650-675 bhp, but somebody may have some actual dyno data.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:40 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When will BF2019 coupon be active? I'm bored with my lethargic V6S.

Your Cart

• Coupon code "BF2019" is not valid.

[font]TOTAL[/font]

[font]Jaguar F-Type V6 & V6S Crank Pulley + ECU Tune[/font]

[font]$1,939.00[/font]

[font]$1,939.00[/font]

[font]Jaguar Larger Extended Paddle Shifter Set Silver[/font]

[font]$249.00[/font]

[font]$249.00[/font]

Last edited by Miauuu; 10-23-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too...I'm looking at the same stuff!

Wonder if the tune can be setup such that when I select S gear, it also activates dynamic mode. That will save an extra step when the sudden need arises.

Originally Posted by Miauuu

Your Cart

• Coupon code "BF2019" is not valid.

TOTAL

Jaguar F-Type V6 & V6S Crank Pulley + ECU Tune

$1,939.00

$1,939.00

Jaguar Larger Extended Paddle Shifter Set Silver

$249.00

$249.00

Old 10-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Miauuu
We are currently finalizing what will be included in our annual holiday sales, but it is not likely to be starting for at least 3 weeks. Black Friday is still a month away!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 10-23-2019, 10:57 AM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhorze
Me too...I'm looking at the same stuff!

Wonder if the tune can be setup such that when I select S gear, it also activates dynamic mode. That will save an extra step when the sudden need arises.
Dynamic mode is a chassis setting, not an engine setting. We're not able to change any of those settings at present.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 10-23-2019, 03:56 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I concur with Unhingd's post on 10-13 - you won't get any better customer service or tried and true products than with Velocity AP.

The following users liked this post:
mlebofsky (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Dynamic mode is a chassis setting, not an engine setting. We're not able to change any of those settings at present.
Tks Stuart!

Old 10-25-2019, 08:14 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Finally inside a year until my CPO is up so the tune/pulley is officially on the radar.

Do we have some forum members that have had the tune/pulley (v6s) for several years and/or 10's of thousands of miles? Is there anything to note from a 'lessons learned' or 'avoid' or 'do not do this if you have a tune' or 'make sure you do this if you get a tune (new plugs, more frequent oil changes, other). There is no question in my mind it would be Velocity if I ended up getting a tune.

My final decision to make prior to a tune is whether I exchange from 2014 v6s vert (18k, ceramic coated) for a newer CPO v8s/r with more miles (30k?) and bypass the tune. I know that from a cost perspective it will be more costly to 'upgrade', but with the higher miles on the newer model v8, I'm hoping that offsets some of the added costs over my 2014.

Mostly looking for answers to my question about the tune/pulley.

*NOTE* Will be looking for a 'guy' to install the pulley with experience...willing to drive up to a few hours for that work (unhingd)

Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
Finally inside a year until my CPO is up so the tune/pulley is officially on the radar.

Do we have some forum members that have had the tune/pulley (v6s) for several years and/or 10's of thousands of miles? Is there anything to note from a 'lessons learned' or 'avoid' or 'do not do this if you have a tune' or 'make sure you do this if you get a tune (new plugs, more frequent oil changes, other). There is no question in my mind it would be Velocity if I ended up getting a tune.

My final decision to make prior to a tune is whether I exchange from 2014 v6s vert (18k, ceramic coated) for a newer CPO v8s/r with more miles (30k?) and bypass the tune. I know that from a cost perspective it will be more costly to 'upgrade', but with the higher miles on the newer model v8, I'm hoping that offsets some of the added costs over my 2014.

*NOTE* Will be looking for a 'guy' to install the pulley with experience...willing to drive up to a few hours for that work (unhingd)
I upgraded from a V6 S to a 2014 V8 S now with Racechip and a pully. Best decision I have ever made, and that includes getting married and having kids.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I had 10K miles before the tune, and 29K miles after. I've had no issues, other than the dealer noting a code showing non-factory calibration. That has not been a problem, but I like my dealer and have a good relationship with my service adviser. A pulley is almost certainly in the works, but I've got a lot going on and just haven't got to that yet.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

No need to do anything special after a tune, other than maybe go to one step colder plugs on the V8 if you go for over 600 hp.
The V6 already has one range colder plugs than the V8 anyway, I have now put about 10k miles on my V6 with "pulley plus tune" with zero problems, and that's with the original now 5 years old spark plugs still in it. At 450 hp it's already close to the safe limit for the V6 which tells me that the stock sparks plugs are plenty good enough.
Also changing spark plugs is a bear of a job so I am happy to leave it until the recommended 6 year interval.
The one extra thing I strongly recommend you do is six monthly oil changes, even on a stock car but especially on a tuned car.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I did the VAP tune + pulley just after 10K miles which was about 2.5 years ago. I have added about 25K miles since then and not a single issue.

The car is our summer long weekend road-trip car, with frequent ice cream trips during the week. I do push the car at times, and I do track the car 2-3 times a year although I'm not sure how many more I will do with the car.

I have the oil changed annually before I put the car away for the winter.

I could not go back to the stock tune.

dwmilton (05-03-2020)
Old 10-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve had pulley/tune for 4+ years and 25k miles. No issues other than sore smile muscles. The guy for the pulley job is located in Brooklyn Heights, MD. You and I can go to lunch while he does the job.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:10 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

2017 SVR. VAP springs, lower pulley, sport cats, and tune. Installed myself without a lift, but with ramps.
Love it. Track twice a year, work twice a week except for the winter. Oil change twice a year.

Last edited by mlebofsky; 10-26-2019 at 12:14 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-26-2019, 08:08 AM

Great responses everyone and I appreciate people taking the time to address mine (and everyone else's) questions/concerns. Now that my minor concerns are alleviated about the tune, on to the next....

My other line of thinking was the v8s stock is (I think) 495hp as compared to a slightly lighter tuned v6s getting to about 450hp. Would they not feel comparably fast given the different weight or is it still a night and day difference between the two (untuned v8s vs tuned to 450hp v6s)? The reason I ask is because I did drive both before buying and when I drove the v8s for the first time I literally fish tailed pulling out of the dealership and I wasn't really 'getting on it'. It was just that I wasn't expecting it to have that kind of power. Unfortunately, the wife was with me at the time and both of our reaction was basically that, ''I'll probably kill myself in this car". Since then I have learned to appreciate what the car can do, so I would approach the drive a little differently. Any experience/comparison between the two from someone that has driven both a tuned v6s and an untuned v8s. I understand that a tuned v8s is a whole other story and I don't think I have enough road within a 50 mile radius of where I live that I could even take advantage of a tuned v8s with 600hp.

unhingd - lunch sounds awesome, my treat....its probably been a while since we've both had a happy meal :-)

Old 10-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX
I upgraded from a V6 S to a 2014 V8 S now with Racechip and a pully. Best decision I have ever made, and that includes getting married and having kids.

RacerX - Did you sell your v6s privately or trade it in? I'm curious what you were seeing from a price difference perspective at the time. If I were to go higher miles on the v8, I'm thinking 5k or less difference? I do know that finding exactly what I want will not be easy (exterior/interior color combo, packages, vert, mileage, etc...).

Old 10-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Great responses everyone and I appreciate people taking the time to address mine (and everyone else's) questions/concerns. Now that my minor concerns are alleviated about the tune, on to the next....

My other line of thinking was the v8s stock is (I think) 495hp as compared to a slightly lighter tuned v6s getting to about 450hp. Would they not feel comparably fast given the different weight or is it still a night and day difference between the two (untuned v8s vs tuned to 450hp v6s)? The reason I ask is because I did drive both before buying and when I drove the v8s for the first time I literally fish tailed pulling out of the dealership and I wasn't really 'getting on it'. It was just that I wasn't expecting it to have that kind of power. Unfortunately, the wife was with me at the time and both of our reaction was basically that, ''I'll probably kill myself in this car". Since then I have learned to appreciate what the car can do, so I would approach the drive a little differently. Any experience/comparison between the two from someone that has driven both a tuned v6s and an untuned v8s. I understand that a tuned v8s is a whole other story and I don't think I have enough road within a 50 mile radius of where I live that I could even take advantage of a tuned v8s with 600hp.

unhingd - lunch sounds awesome, my treat....its probably been a while since we've both had a happy meal :-)
Others have concluded that the V8S was underrated and actually has the same power as the R (550hp). Assuming it is truly 495hp, my 455hp V6S now has virtually the same power to weight as the V8S given the 150 lbs I was able to trim off the car. Not much throttle needed to lose traction pulling into traffic and the DTC works overtime to throttle back in the first 3 gears under full throttle.

BruceTheQuail (10-26-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 04:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered the "pulley + tune" package today. Was lucky enough to find a friend in NY to handle the package for me and bring it to Russia, since FedEx, the only option, does not ship to Russia anymore.

Meanwhile, curious whether tuning the tune for higher octane really feels noticeable? Is it worth it?
Someone told me that if I say have it tuned for RON98 (failed to find corresponding AKI) and fill the car with RON95 (AKI 87?), I should really be careful not driving it fast, otherwise it could end in burnt valves... and if not, it won't be healthy for the car anyway.

What do you think?

Last edited by Nznoonee; 10-27-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nznoonee
Just ordered the "pulley + tune" package today. Was lucky enough to find a friend in NY to handle the package for me and bring it to Russia, since FedEx, the only option, does not ship to Russia anymore.

Meanwhile, curious whether tuning the tune for higher octane really feels noticeable? Is it worth it?
Someone told me that if I say have it tuned for RON98 (failed to find corresponding AKI) and fill the car with RON95 (AKI 87?), I should really be careful not driving it fast, otherwise it could end in burnt valves... and if not, it won't be healthy for the car anyway.

What do you think?
The VAP tune is the same regardless of 98 RON or 95 RON and I believe it makes no difference which one you use so no need to be careful or not drive fast with "only" 95 RON.
I use 98 RON simply because here in Oz it has a higher concentration of additives/cleaners/detergents than 95 RON.
98 RON = 93 AKI.

scm (10-27-2019)

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R