Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Nznoonee
Just got back from the service highly disappointed
1) The VAP belt appeared to be 100% the same as my OEM belt - two sided, 1348 length
2) The technicians said that there will be no space (or very little) for the belt between new lower VAP pulley and idler pulley. But anyway the belt from VAP is too short to put.

So they put everything back as it was and let me go home crushed and crying.

Attached the photo with idler pulley (red arrow) with lower pulley removed. Everything is stock

How could that happen? What do I do now?
From what angle did you take that photo? I don’t recognize that view. You’ll never be able to eyeball the difference between the two belt sizes. You can use some string to measure the difference. What model year do you have? Perhaps the SC belt routing has been changed.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
From what angle did you take that photo? I don’t recognize that view. You’ll never be able to eyeball the difference between the two belt sizes. You can use some string to measure the difference. What model year do you have? Perhaps the SC belt routing has been changed.
The photo was made from underneath. To the right of the arrow is the place where lower pulley should be.
I placed two belts nearby- they have the same letters on them, btw belt size is also written there. And yeah, I measured the size.
My F-Type is 2017 V6S

Also, why do Eurotoys offer idler pulley in their kit? I think it makes sense in my case.

P.S. Added some explaining marks

Last edited by Nznoonee; 12-26-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

The photo was made from underneath. To the right of the arrow is the place where lower pulley should be.
I placed two belts nearby- they have the same letters on them, btw belt size is also written there. And yeah, I measured the size.
My F-Type is 2017 V6S

Also, why do Eurotoys offer idler pulley in their kit? I think it makes sense in my case.

P.S. Added some explaining marks

I had the original Eurotoys offering. The additional pulley that they were offering was not the idler pulley, but rather the tensioner pulley. It was the exact same size as the OEM pulley except it was smooth so that a one sided belt could be run. At the time, a two-sided belt was not available in the right size. Subsequently, eurotoys was able to provide a DK080568 double sided belt, and with that I reverted back to the OEM double sided tensioner pulley.
With the new lower pulley installed, you will still be able to slip a belt between that belt and the idler to install it.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I had the original Eurotoys offering. The additional pulley that they were offering was not the idler pulley, but rather the tensioner pulley. It was the exact same size as the OEM pulley except it was smooth so that a one sided belt could be run. At the time, a two-sided belt was not available in the right size. Subsequently, eurotoys was able to provide a DK080568 double sided belt, and with that I reverted back to the OEM double sided tensioner pulley.
With the new lower pulley installed, you will still be able to slip a belt between that belt and the idler to install it.
Thanks, now it's more understandable about the Eurotoys pulley, I also checked DK080568 length, and it is only 1cm bigger than the OEM, not sure it's this critical difference that is needed for the VAP pulley. I think I need an official comment on this from VAP guys.

Could it maybe be that the tensioner needs to be unscrewed and then put back only after the belt is placed? Ok, but why would I need the same belt anyways if it matches the current one..

Old 12-26-2019, 11:12 PM
Sponsor
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

Just got back from the service highly disappointed
1) The VAP belt appeared to be 100% the same as my OEM belt - two sided, 1438 length (this is written on both belts)
2) The technicians said that there will be no space (or very little) for the belt between new lower VAP pulley and idler pulley. But anyway the belt from VAP is too short to put.

So they put everything back as it was and let me go home crushed and crying.

Attached the photo with idler pulley (red arrow) with lower pulley removed. Everything is stock

How could that happen? What do I do now?
Sorry to hear about your issues. I don't know enough from your username to be able to identify your order, or who you are. There are two belt lengths we supply. Sounds like you need the longer one and got the shorter one.

If you can reply to your order confirmation email and mention this I'm sure we can get you a replacement sent out ASAP.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 12-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Sponsor

Folks,
When updating the car firmware with VAP box, do I need to use any extra battery?
Asking because the manual says "Connect vehicle to power source" like isn't it connected already to the battery lol?

OzXFR's words above:
The only caveat with installing the tune yourself is you need to have a fairly powerful battery tender hooked up - preferably at least 30 amps - during the process otherwise you risk bricking the ECU.

Not quite clear to me why the original car battery isn't enough...
It's important to have a stable and high enough battery voltage when flashing the car. A trickle charger is more than sufficient. Unstable or low voltage can cause problems with the flashing, so a trickle charger is an excellent precaution.

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-29-2019, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Sorry to hear about your issues. I don't know enough from your username to be able to identify your order, or who you are. There are two belt lengths we supply. Sounds like you need the longer one and got the shorter one.

If you can reply to your order confirmation email and mention this I'm sure we can get you a replacement sent out ASAP.
Solved the problem via email with Stuart.
Thanks for such quick reaction!

Old 12-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Solved the problem via email with Stuart.
Thanks for such quick reaction!
What was the resolution? Did you need a different belt? I ask because I have mine in hand but have not installed it yet. Yours is a different year than mine as well. I'm curious because I'm always interested in ways to spare myself grief.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
What was the resolution? Did you need a different belt? I ask because I have mine in hand but have not installed it yet. Yours is a different year than mine as well. I'm curious because I'm always interested in ways to spare myself grief.
Yes, a larger belt is needed, Stuart told me that it's not always possible to identify which size should fit.
So I was already sent a new belt..or it's about to be sent, I got an invoice. (yep, that quick)

Old 12-29-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

From my own experience and watching this thread and the belt/pulley install thread it seems V6S F-Types up to MY 2016 use the shorter belt and above 2016 use the longer one. I don't know about the V8 cars. Just my theory based on looking at stock SC replacement belt fitment guides for various year Jaguars and Land Rovers with SC V6 engines. It's puzzling to me why VAP hasn't sorted this out yet. I have asked what VIN/MY is a cut off for different length belts but VAP doesn't seen to have a direct answer.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 12-29-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

According to the current parts catalogue;

F-Type V6 up to VIN K22184 has a 1412mm supercharger drive belt
F-Type V6 from VIN K22185 has a 1438mm supercharger drive belt

There are also different idler pulleys and tensioners for those two VIN ranges as well.

K22185 was the start of the 2016MY

The following users liked this post:
RGPV6S (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 06:26 PM
Sponsor

We are sending the longer belt. If you're concerned, email us with your order number and VIN and we can double check.

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-29-2019, 06:29 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
From my own experience and watching this thread and the belt/pulley install thread it seems V6S F-Types up to MY 2016 use the shorter belt and above 2016 use the longer one. I don't know about the V8 cars. Just my theory based on looking at stock SC replacement belt fitment guides for various year Jaguars and Land Rovers with SC V6 engines. It's puzzling to me why VAP hasn't sorted this out yet. I have asked what VIN/MY is a cut off for different length belts but VAP doesn't seen to have a direct answer.
Hi RGPV6S,

We have sorted it out, and did so some time ago. We know which of our belts needs to be shipped based on VIN.

We had an internal error (now corrected) with shipping which has resulted in a few people getting the wrong belts, for which we have a apologized & sent out replacements wherever identified.

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

So you running an awesome new year sale anytime soon for ECU tunes?

Old 01-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Taylorguy74
So you running an awesome new year sale anytime soon for ECU tunes?
Just the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales for us, I'm afraid.

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

MY2014 V8S purchased 2nd hand as the 2nd owner in 2016 with 4700 miles on the odo. She now has 108,7xx miles on her. All regularly scheduled maintenance performed religiously & slightly more frequent oil changes than recommended (just because). Mechanically, she is very sound. Been wanting to get more power & just got off the phone with Stuart. We talked a bit & I think going with a tune will probably be ok even though she has so many miles on her. Just clicked "Place Order" & now can't wait to see what the tune will do!

lossking_ (01-25-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

If the car has been taken care of, the high miles shouldn't be a problem. I'm at 115k miles and I've been running the tune for over a year now.

sonny2 (01-21-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 08:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fed ex countdown - 1 day left for delivery of my tuner!

So from reading through this thread, I understand that you can code some items - eco start/stop toggle, RPM limit adjust, throttle sensitivity, exhaust pop/crackles, etc. I was looking to find some real world experiences with the tweaks. Anyone have some personal experiences with the set ups they could share? Trials/changes?

Old 02-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylorguy74
So from reading through this thread, I understand that you can code some items - eco start/stop toggle, RPM limit adjust, throttle sensitivity, exhaust pop/crackles, etc. I was looking to find some real world experiences with the tweaks. Anyone have some personal experiences with the set ups they could share? Trials/changes?
You can't code them; VAP can make you a tune with those changes. Typically you'll receive a tune with/without eco start/stop, but that's it unless you ask for other things specifically. I've had VAP tweak throttle sensitivity a couple times for me, and been very happy with the results.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I've had VAP tweak throttle sensitivity a couple times for me, and been very happy with the results.
+1.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R