Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1.
As in how? How would you describe so I can accurately elucidate? Looking for slightly increased inputs but open to suggestions for fun weekends and Hill Country drives.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylorguy74
As in how? How would you describe so I can accurately elucidate? Looking for slightly increased inputs but open to suggestions for fun weekends and Hill Country drives.
With the oversized lower pulley and a VAP tune, the supercharger achieves almost 20 pounds of boost. At that boost, the OEM throttle mapping gets a bit twitchy and the car gets a bit difficult to drive smoothly. VAP was able remap for a linear throttle response. Dynamic mode still moves more throttle input towards the early pedal travel. The result is a refined touring car that can become a beast of a canyon carver when the urge strikes (about 99% of the time). The Tune/pulley will reliably upgrade the V6 to 450+hp and the V8 to 625+hp.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-05-2020 at 05:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
NigelW (02-05-2020), Taylorguy74 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:03 AM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

BTW does V6 map + crank pulley dyno exists? In their web there is only both pulleys and I don't like the top end curve - I would sacrifice some area below the curve for more pronaunciated top end.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
You can't code them; VAP can make you a tune with those changes. Typically you'll receive a tune with/without eco start/stop, but that's it unless you ask for other things specifically. I've had VAP tweak throttle sensitivity a couple times for me, and been very happy with the results.
Can you get a tune that eliminates nannies like having to have foot on the brake before starting the car or putting in drive?

Old 02-06-2020, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

With the oversized lower pulley and a VAP tune, the supercharger achieves almost 20 pounds of boost.
How often do you go into thermal protection mode on a hot days at this boost levels? Also, do you have issues with burnt valves or plugs?

The Tune/pulley will reliably upgrade the V6 to 450+hp and the V8 to 625+hp.
When you say "reliably" you mean reaching these numbers during dyno pulls. That is, I am not aware of anyone putting 100,000 miles on an engine with VAP tune and pulley and reporting back. I think your F-type might be the highest mileage with the tune and pulley continuously used and you are nowhere near 100K. So it is too early to speak about "reliably".

Last edited by SinF; 02-06-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:25 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
How often do you go into thermal protection mode on a hot days at this boost levels? Also, do you have issues with burnt valves or plugs?

When you say "reliably" you mean reaching these numbers during dyno pulls. That is, I am not aware of anyone putting 100,000 miles on an engine with VAP tune and pulley and reporting back. I think your F-type might be the highest mileage with the tune and pulley continuously used and you are nowhere near 100K. So it is too early to speak about "reliably".
I don't know how many mile Uhingd has put on his, perhaps he has already said, or will, but I have put on around 25K miles on my tune+pulley; installed shortly after I hit 10K.

Granted it's a summer generally fair weather car, but we take many long distance road trips with the car.

Side note, has been to the dealer for it's regular maintenance and "recalls", I have had no issue there.

The following users liked this post:
Toddiesel (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Can you get a tune that eliminates nannies like having to have foot on the brake before starting the car or putting in drive?
Pretty sure that's not in scope of the ECM which is where the tune lives.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Pretty sure that's not in scope of the ECM which is where the tune lives.
Dammit! Maybe @Stuart@VelocityAP can chime in and verify? What all can you do with the tune besides power (not that that alone isn't enough)?

Old 02-06-2020, 03:00 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Just treat the brake pedal as a clutch pedal from an MT for those two use cases.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:09 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Dammit! Maybe @Stuart@VelocityAP can chime in and verify? What all can you do with the tune besides power (not that that alone isn't enough)?
Well.....I can raise the delay for limiting the throttle to enable a form of left-foot-brake and not cut out the throttle after few seconds.

But to disable the requirement of holding your foot on the brake pedal to enable starting the engine, that's way into the legal aspect of getting sued. So in short: No I would not do that adjustment, because that kind of thing is in place for safety reasons.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 02-06-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Well.....I can raise the delay for limiting the throttle to enable a form of left-foot-brake and not cut out the throttle after few seconds.

But to disable the requirement of holding your foot on the brake pedal to enable starting the engine, that's way into the legal aspect of getting sued. So in short: No I would not do that adjustment, because that kind of thing is in place for safety reasons.
I don't think that's a legal requirement. Tons of automatic cars, and every manual car doesn't require this. From my experience, only automatics with push button start require you to put your foot on the brake to start it. It's the DUMBEST thing because the car won't start if it's not in park anyway. At least in a manual you can start the car in gear so I get why they require the clutch to be depressed. Also, I can start the jag remotely. Foot ain't anywhere NEAR the brake when I do that. And I've been in plenty of autos where I'm sitting at a light and put it in neutral and the light turns and i just drop it in D without touching the brake. It's a nanny, not a law. But, if you can't/won't do it, no worries. Hopefully I'll figure out a way to bypass it. Also SUPER annoying that it won't let you put it in drive with the door open, like if you're just trying to pull forward a foot because you didn't pull far enough into the garage to not get your bumper clipped by the garage door.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Flame on Toddiesel! Chris - don't reply to that - finish working on my tune instead!

Old 02-06-2020, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Taylorguy74
Flame on Toddiesel! Chris - don't reply to that - finish working on my tune instead!
Not sure what flaming you're referring to. It's not only a PITA, it's completely unnecessary and serves 0 purpose. I get (sorta) having to brake to go from P to a gear, but if you're IN park, why would you need to brake to start the car? And I'm actually wondering (will try it on the way home from work) now if you would have to press the brake to go from N to D if you're in motion. That would definitely suck, but I won't be surprised if it's the case. This is the first auto I've owned since my very first car and I've had 16 cars total, so all the nannies that come with this particular auto are pretty annoying as I'm not used to any of them.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Not sure what flaming you're referring to. It's not only a PITA, it's completely unnecessary and serves 0 purpose. I get (sorta) having to brake to go from P to a gear, but if you're IN park, why would you need to brake to start the car? And I'm actually wondering (will try it on the way home from work) now if you would have to press the brake to go from N to D if you're in motion. That would definitely suck, but I won't be surprised if it's the case. This is the first auto I've owned since my very first car and I've had 16 cars total, so all the nannies that come with this particular auto are pretty annoying as I'm not used to any of them.
It has to do with a way to put the car into ACC mode. Since you aren't turning a key where you have two steps (ACC and start), you need a way to go into ACC mode. The brake pedal (or lack there of) is currently used for this.

scm (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:58 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I get (sorta) having to brake to go from P to a gear, but if you're IN park, why would you need to brake to start the car?
It’s a pretty good way to insure that someone is in the driver seat when the engine is started or the car is put into gear. Otherwise, if the keys are in the car, a child could do it from the passenger seat.

Which I think is why the brake interlock was added to normal automatics.
https://www.kidsandcars.org/2016/09/...ginia-toddler/

Last edited by DJS; 02-06-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:07 PM

I don't think that's a legal requirement. Tons of automatic cars, and every manual car doesn't require this. From my experience, only automatics with push button start require you to put your foot on the brake to start it. It's the DUMBEST thing because the car won't start if it's not in park anyway. At least in a manual you can start the car in gear so I get why they require the clutch to be depressed. Also, I can start the jag remotely. Foot ain't anywhere NEAR the brake when I do that. And I've been in plenty of autos where I'm sitting at a light and put it in neutral and the light turns and i just drop it in D without touching the brake. It's a nanny, not a law. But, if you can't/won't do it, no worries. Hopefully I'll figure out a way to bypass it. Also SUPER annoying that it won't let you put it in drive with the door open, like if you're just trying to pull forward a foot because you didn't pull far enough into the garage to not get your bumper clipped by the garage door.
I never said it was law, point me where I stated that...

I never said it's a "law" and I honestly don't think you've thought this through. Please explain to me how you would turn ON your ignition but not start your engine? Because that's how you diagnose your vehicle and scan for codes. So if a tech was to try scanning for codes while another tech was under the hood verifying something..I'm guessing you could guarantee the guy under the hood wouldn't have the slightest chance to injury. Again, I never stated anything about a car rolling off or driving away. I said it's a safety issue I would not allow this company to be related with...aka law suit 100%.

Regardless of the above fact and even if I was careless and when about, to flash your ecu the ignition needs to be ON with engine OFF. So if I created this file and you flashed the vehicle, that would be the last time the ecu could ever be flashed through OBD because every time you turn ON the ignition the engine starts instantly.

Nonetheless, this isn't to flame..I'm just bluntly stating it's not something I would perform in anyone's file, regardless of what anyone says or tries to prove to me. Just my 2cents

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 02-06-2020, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can start/stop be defaulted to off rather than disabling it altogether? My stock ‘15 defaults to on. Just received my tuning device today.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by JasonR2
Can start/stop be defaulted to off rather than disabling it altogether? My stock ‘15 defaults to on. Just received my tuning device today.
Can be disabled entirely but cannot alter default status

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 02-06-2020, 05:16 PM

You find it annoying to push the brake to start the engine on this auto, but never found it annoying to push the clutch to start the engine on a manual shift?

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

dmchao (02-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:33 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
... but never found it annoying to push the clutch to start the engine on a manual shift?
If it's in neutral you don't have to drop the clutch if you're not mechanically sympathetic ...

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R