F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020 | 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by scm
If it's in neutral you don't have to drop the clutch if you're not mechanically sympathetic ...
Actually most modem manuals require pushing clutch, at end of travel is a sensor to view pedal position..once switch is closed circuit it allows engine start phase from key command.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 02-06-2020 | 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
If it's in neutral you don't have to drop the clutch if you're not mechanically sympathetic ...
I owned and drove only manual trans cars from 1975 to my first auto (Jag XFS) in 2013, and I almost never dropped the clutch when starting the car.
Coz when I shut 'er down I always put it in Neutral and applied the handbrake so it was ready to fire up without touching the clutch pedal when I got back in.
Very occasionally when parked on a steep grade I would put the car in 2nd gear after shutting it down (plus handbrake), and from memory I only "lurched" two or three times ever by trying to start the car with it in gear with the clutch engaged.
So I sympathise a bit with Toddiesel!

Old 02-07-2020 | 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NigelW
I don't know how many mile Uhingd has put on his, perhaps he has already said, or will, but I have put on around 25K miles on my tune+pulley; installed shortly after I hit 10K.
Did you know that race engines frequently rebuilt and this is almost always done before they fail? This is because at high levels of boost, high RPMs, and high load conditions things experience accelerated wear. Bearings get worn, valves get burned, pistons get melted.

Now, obviously, VAP tune isn't this extreme. However, you still increase boost , introduce additional heat, increase RPMs on your supercharger. This creates additional heat, additional wear and tear, additional push on the weak link to fail.

With your 25K miles, are you following manufacturer recommended oil change interval? If yes, why do you think after putting all that extra load on the system you can follow service interval designed for stock engine?

Old 02-07-2020 | 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Did you know that race engines frequently rebuilt and this is almost always done before they fail? This is because at high levels of boost, high RPMs, and high load conditions things experience accelerated wear. Bearings get worn, valves get burned, pistons get melted.

Now, obviously, VAP tune isn't this extreme. However, you still increase boost , introduce additional heat, increase RPMs on your supercharger. This creates additional heat, additional wear and tear, additional push on the weak link to fail.

With your 25K miles, are you following manufacturer recommended oil change interval? If yes, why do you think after putting all that extra load on the system you can follow service interval designed for stock engine?
Agree that generally speaking, the more you load the engine/increase boost the more the wear, that's kind of a true-ism. I don't follow the recommended oil change interval; the oil is changed every fall before I put the car away for the winter.

My intend was to provide some support that the VAP tune, as you point out, is not extreme, and has not (as of yet) caused any issues. The question I think is how much will it shorten the engine's usable life and is that impact significant; e.g. is a 1% drop in life expectancy an issue as opposed to say 50%. Of course it all depends somewhat on how you drive what you may consider a material impact.

Last edited by NigelW; 02-07-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2020 | 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Not sure what flaming you're referring to. It's not only a PITA, it's completely unnecessary and serves 0 purpose. I get (sorta) having to brake to go from P to a gear, but if you're IN park, why would you need to brake to start the car? And I'm actually wondering (will try it on the way home from work) now if you would have to press the brake to go from N to D if you're in motion. That would definitely suck, but I won't be surprised if it's the case. This is the first auto I've owned since my very first car and I've had 16 cars total, so all the nannies that come with this particular auto are pretty annoying as I'm not used to any of them.
One reason is for manufacturability. Chris mentioned accessory/power on and I second it. Every manufactured vehicle I've been involved with in the last 5 years (23 final assemblies if we're counting) relies on software kicked off by key on only to pair keys to the individual VIN, calibrate, prime diesel, you name it. No one adds fuel until end of line, so there is zero need to have only one sequence. I can tell you it's no secret that OEMs don't consider this part of the customer experience, because almost everyone else does it. double clicking a start/stop just won’t cut it for process error proofing.

Last edited by dmchao; 02-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2020 | 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Taylorguy74
Fed ex countdown - 1 day left for delivery of my tuner!

So from reading through this thread, I understand that you can code some items - eco start/stop toggle, RPM limit adjust, throttle sensitivity, exhaust pop/crackles, etc. I was looking to find some real world experiences with the tweaks. Anyone have some personal experiences with the set ups they could share? Trials/changes?
Stuart@VelocityAP what options are available as far as exhaust sound goes? Stock, added pops, anything else?

Old 02-09-2020 | 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

How often do you go into thermal protection mode on a hot days at this boost levels? Also, do you have issues with burnt valves or plugs?

When you say "reliably" you mean reaching these numbers during dyno pulls. That is, I am not aware of anyone putting 100,000 miles on an engine with VAP tune and pulley and reporting back. I think your F-type might be the highest mileage with the tune and pulley continuously used and you are nowhere near 100K. So it is too early to speak about "reliably".
Good point. I’ll talk to you in another 65k miles.
Regarding thermal protection mode, I don’t think I’ve ever triggered that. Engine running smoother than day 1, so no burnt valves or plugs.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-09-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2020 | 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
I never said it was law, point me where I stated that...

I never said it's a "law" and I honestly don't think you've thought this through. Please explain to me how you would turn ON your ignition but not start your engine? Because that's how you diagnose your vehicle and scan for codes. So if a tech was to try scanning for codes while another tech was under the hood verifying something..I'm guessing you could guarantee the guy under the hood wouldn't have the slightest chance to injury. Again, I never stated anything about a car rolling off or driving away. I said it's a safety issue I would not allow this company to be related with...aka law suit 100%.

Regardless of the above fact and even if I was careless and when about, to flash your ecu the ignition needs to be ON with engine OFF. So if I created this file and you flashed the vehicle, that would be the last time the ecu could ever be flashed through OBD because every time you turn ON the ignition the engine starts instantly.

Nonetheless, this isn't to flame..I'm just bluntly stating it's not something I would perform in anyone's file, regardless of what anyone says or tries to prove to me. Just my 2cents
I guess I, like most people, see the word "legal" and "law" being synonymous. My mistake. Guess I should go back to english class. As far as turning on ACC without starting the car, just give a simple press of the button without holding it. In both my Z06 and the F Type, I have to HOLD the button down for a couple seconds before it cranks. If I just press the button, even with the clutch/brake depressed, all it does it turn on the ignition, it does not crank the engine. Bu, I get it, you're worried about CYA like everyone else. Nothing wrong with being risk averse in this country. You won't do it and that's fine. I already said that. No need to elaborate further.

Old 02-09-2020 | 02:57 PM
scm
Veteran Member

... I have to HOLD the button down for a couple seconds before it cranks. If I just press the button, even with the clutch/brake depressed, all it does it turn on the ignition, it does not crank the engine.
But if you do the first press to just switch the ignition on, it only takes a brief second press to crank the engine.

Old 02-09-2020 | 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by scm
But if you do the first press to just switch the ignition on, it only takes a brief second press to crank the engine.
Sounds like you're only supporting my point. 1 press for ACC, 2 presses to start. If you leave your young child WITH the fob unattended in the passenger seat and he/she starts the car and puts it D and runs into the side of your house, I kinda feel like that's on you. I'm of the mindset that manufacturers should not be liable to protect you from your own stupidity. Like these parents whose children pull over dressers and die. It's horrible, but come on people, use your head!

Old 02-09-2020 | 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

I guess I, like most people, see the word "legal" and "law" being synonymous.
"that's way into the legal aspect of getting sued" and "legal requirement" are two very different things. However, in this case, there are various legal requirements for certain aspects of starting the car and shifting gears. For example, there are requirements for shifting from the park position to drive/reverse. Two simultaneous actions must take place (pressing the brake & pulling a lever/pushing a button) in order to shift into a driven gear. This is done to eliminate the potential of accidental drive engagement by a child, animal or inanimate object. Starting the vehicle is looked at the same way by most OEMs, though the legal requirements differ for this. OEMs have to cover themselves because they've been such a target for litigation over the last few decades; any small design feature or error that could possibly be considered a safety hazard is attacked by class action lawyers. I understand these features bother some people, but i think 99.9% of people don't give it a second thought, and thus designers will play it safe.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020 | 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

I'm of the mindset that manufacturers should not be liable to protect you from your own stupidity.
And yet we are. Remember when an OEM was sued because a certain celebrity didn't properly engage park on his car?

Old 02-09-2020 | 04:33 PM
|
Sponsor

Originally Posted by RichardCranium
Stuart@VelocityAP what options are available as far as exhaust sound goes? Stock, added pops, anything else?
That's pretty much it for exhaust sound, other options would be for pulleys, downpipes, eco off etc.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

RichardCranium (02-11-2020)
Old 02-09-2020 | 04:41 PM
|
Sponsor

How often do you go into thermal protection mode on a hot days at this boost levels? Also, do you have issues with burnt valves or plugs?

When you say "reliably" you mean reaching these numbers during dyno pulls. That is, I am not aware of anyone putting 100,000 miles on an engine with VAP tune and pulley and reporting back. I think your F-type might be the highest mileage with the tune and pulley continuously used and you are nowhere near 100K. So it is too early to speak about "reliably".
With an appropriate (read: safe) AFR you are not going to burn valves or plugs, unless you've torn out protections like fuel enrichment which we do not.

To the best of my knowledge we don't have anyone who's hit 100,000 miles tuned or tuned + pulley at this point, however we are constantly hearing from people in the 20-40,000 mile range. So we while we wouldn't make any claims about 100,000 miles we were doing some rough math the other day. Bearing in mind that we tune for these engine platforms across all JLR vehicles, we are now well into the thousands on tunes on these, and approaching 1000 crank pulleys. Never had a burnt valve or plug during that time. Some rough math gives us IRO 30,000,000 miles travelled with our tunes and pulleys across our entire customer base. I'm aware of 3 engines which have failed - 2 from main bearings & crank seizing due to being run out of oil, and a 3rd which appears to have had pre-existing problems. So the failure rate is around 1.01/1000 or 0.1% at this point.

www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Mahjik (02-09-2020), XJ8JR (02-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2020 | 07:30 PM

Sounds like you're only supporting my point. 1 press for ACC, 2 presses to start. If you leave your young child WITH the fob unattended in the passenger seat and he/she starts the car and puts it D and runs into the side of your house, I kinda feel like that's on you. I'm of the mindset that manufacturers should not be liable to protect you from your own stupidity. Like these parents whose children pull over dressers and die. It's horrible, but come on people, use your head!
Nevermind - misread the post - all good!

Last edited by Taylorguy74; 02-09-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2020 | 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
And yet we are. Remember when an OEM was sued because a certain celebrity didn't properly engage park on his car?
No, I didn't hear anything about anything like that. I also live under a rock that doesn't even get cable, so I'm not surprised. And yeah, for sure, this is a super litigious country, and it's unfortunate that stuff like that happens. That's why I said "I'M of the mindset". I'm well aware that no one at all wants to take responsibility for their scew ups and want to pass the blame and make a buck. Just would be nice if those of us who are high strung and hate nannies didn't have to suffer because a couple of people are dumb. I'm sure most people don't like the nannies, but most of those people aren't tightly wound and get infuriated by them. I digress. My question was "can Velocity eliminate annoying nannies in a tune?" and answer was "yes, but we won't cuz this is merka and we are skurd (and rightly so) of being sued by a dumbass". I'd be MORE than happy to sign any kind of waiver to eliminate all nannies, but I'm sure that's not good enough, so question asked, question answered, case closed.

RacerX (02-26-2020)
Old 02-13-2020 | 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nznoonee
Solved the problem via email with Stuart.
Thanks for such quick reaction!
Did you note the new belt code and length that VAP re-sent?

Think I've the same issue where my stock belt length is the same as the new belt length.

Mine is for the XE S but I'm guessing it'll b the same since it's the same engine

Old 02-15-2020 | 04:58 PM

VAP pulley did not come with install instructions, is Stohlen's write up the way to go?

Old 02-16-2020 | 10:30 AM
|
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Miauuu
VAP pulley did not come with install instructions, is Stohlen's write up the way to go?
If it is a crank pulley, yes those instructions are pretty good, although we generally recommend professional installation on these parts.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-16-2020 | 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
If it is a crank pulley, yes those instructions are pretty good, although we generally recommend professional installation on these parts.
Are you trying to say i'm not a professional!?

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R