Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Yeah, the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh...
Nigel Tufnel: Clever.
David St. Hubbins: Yeah, and clever.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
I'm gonna have to say pics or shens on that one. 1) NO ONE gets gas in neutral without the parking brake set. Even on flat ground there's always the chance of rolling. 2) you can't "bump" a shifter in gear, even 2nd (which is historically the easiest gear to get into) when idling. It would grind the **** out of it and not do anything 3) if it DID manage to get it in gear, especially 2nd, it's going to just immediately stall. Either that's an urban legend, or the "story" is real and the driver is a total liar and trying to cover up for something illegal, like letting their 13 year old kid drive, or something like that.
He was referring to an AT, not an MT like his.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:31 PM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah, there's pretty much no limit to disaster opportunities. But, the obvious ones that stare designers in the face are sometimes necessities. Like Stohlen mentioned, mechanical and software design limits the user experience.
A manual transmission is better error proofed for accidental shifting than what we have in a lot of cars today. And common sense is less common than ever before (channeling our boomers, sorry I'm 27).

Old 02-27-2020, 04:14 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I've seen quite a few reports from i-Pace owners who've had the same experience with their Lane Keep Assist "feature". And apparently it can't be switched off permanently - it always re-enables on startup.
Happily, while my XE has this feature, I have it set just to warn me, not try to do anything about it. As long as I use the directionals, it rarely comes on, and it’s not a big deal when it does - shakes the wheel for a few seconds.

I do like the blind spot warning, though I certainly wouldn’t rely on it. Almost nanny-ish.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Can we bring this thread back on topic?

Thank You

The following 3 users liked this post by Miauuu:
Mahjik (02-28-2020), RichardCranium (02-28-2020), XJ8JR (02-28-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Miauuu
Can we bring this thread back on topic?

Thank You
Going off topic is part of our culture on this subforum. Not to worry...like a good comedian, we usually bring it back full circle to the opening setup.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just FYI.
Cleared DEQ for Oregon tag renewal without any issues.
Have been enjoying my F-Type (v6 base manual - unhngd special short shifter) with VAP ECU tune/pulley and VAP downpipes.
Such a joy to drive this car every single time.

The following 2 users liked this post by IcanDance2:
kdbolt70 (06-18-2020), slipstream (04-11-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 02:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Applied VAP Tune and Pulley to my AWD S at last! Also bought Michelins Sport 4S
WOW! Just WOW... It feels like a different car.
I haven't expected that much increase both for low and high RPM. For now I think that what I have is enough, don't dream about V8 at all, completely satisfied with what I got.

Thanks guys

The following 2 users liked this post by Nznoonee:
DJS (03-26-2020), ryd003 (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 05:02 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Nznoonee
completely satisfied with what I got.
I wonder how long that will last!

The following users liked this post:
Paul_59 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
I wonder how long that will last!
In my case it’s lasted 5 years. 100 fewer horses on a car weighing 500 lbs less (than an AWD R) isn’t much of a sacrifice.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Nznoonee
Applied VAP Tune and Pulley to my AWD S at last! Also bought Michelins Sport 4S
WOW! Just WOW... It feels like a different car.
My exact impressions when I put on MPSS tires on my car for the first time - completely different car. With good tires you can put power down, so it feels like you have gained 100 horse power from standing start. Good tires are absolutely crucial to performance car ownership. More power is absolutely pointless if you are traction limited.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

I got an updated tune from VelocityAP to deal with some throttle sensitivity they'd resolved, but couldn't load it onto the programmer. It turned out to be the USB 3.0 port replicator I'd set up for easier connection and charging. I was doing this in the evening and thought I'd need to reinstall the software to fix a driver issue. Thanks to Chris answering my questions well after business hours I was able to get it resolved.

The two lessons:

1. Use the on-board USB port
2. VAP has great customer support.

Thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
dwmilton (05-03-2020), Stuart@VelocityAP (03-29-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
In my case it’s lasted 5 years. 100 fewer horses on a car weighing 500 lbs less (than an AWD R) isn’t much of a sacrifice.
Me too, and with the VAP quad exhaust I actually prefer the deeper sound to the v8. Not knocking the v8 of course, but I had the XKR with that engine and didnt really like the sound that much even with the X pipe mod, the 6 with VAP tune, pulley, and exhaust is very close to ideal in performance and noise for me.

I can tell you, with all the crap going on at the moment I am pretty happy to have spent my $$ on modding my S than 6 or 7 times that much (after trade-in) swapping to a used R or SVR. But again, not knocking either the R or the SVR which are each lovely cars...

Old 03-27-2020, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Me too, and with the VAP quad exhaust I actually prefer the deeper sound to the v8.
+1. I find the VAP Quad sound on the V6 to be deeper and more resonant than the V8s which may be a bit louder but also sound much raspier. Also, as time goes on, the VAP, much like a Stradivarius, sounds richer as time passes. (Might be the result of dementia onset rather than any real physical phenomenon).

BruceTheQuail (03-27-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Going off topic is part of our culture on this subforum. Not to worry...like a good comedian, we usually bring it back full circle to the opening setup.
man have I fell in love with this post, 2 years ago I started searching for mods for my ‘17 XF V6 R sport. A year ago I joined my cousins garage to learn to tune and all. Today I decided to start pulling the trigger on my jag which I thought had no community to mod being the V6. I WAS WRONG!

Currently looking at going with the VAP tune and pulley with a Mina gallery intake tube and filter.

if worst comes to worst and I decide to, might look into doing the tune on my own. I’ve been in contact with VAP, possibly a bit too late but it is what it is. The dyno is theirs for any testing needs. Being in a high temperature environment with access to a few cars might make more reliable tunes for you guys!

a good 2-3 hour read tonight!

also this is my car

BruceTheQuail (03-29-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 03:50 PM
Sponsor
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Well.... I can get this thread back on track LOL!

Since the time that we started this thread we are now well into the thousands of tunes performed on this engine platform (V6 & V8 Supercharged) across all models of Jaguar & Land Rover vehicles, and closing in on 1000 crank pulleys/upper pulleys. We've had lots of customers verifying numbers on their own local dynos and seen some solid confirmation across the board of our quoted figures. We've also observed now over 25 different software versions for FType alone. Sometimes that means relatively minor differences from one OEM file to another, but in some cases there are dramatic differences that require highly specialized JLR knowledge (that's where our factory JLR trained software engineer Chris comes in) in order to correctly identify the necessary parts of the maps. On a typical JLR tune we are editing between 60 and 70 tables in the ECU. Over this time we've also come across a lot of other tuning software and seen a wide range of files, from some good stuff that's well researched right through to files where 3 torque demand maps were bumped by 8% and literally not a single other thing edited. So.... do your research. There are always better and worse options out there.

We were fortunate to have a 2WD 'R' in our long-term care this winter, in order to do some development work on a couple of new products, but we also took the opportunity to re-confirm in a well controlled environment that as software versions have evolved and been updated from JLR, that our files & MODs are still cranking out the same output we expect.

Very pleased to say that the results we saw were right on the money. All done with our 200 cell catted downpipes in place, with no other supporting mods (Meth, Charge Cooling etc.) Tested on a Superflow 2WD Loading Dyno (these tend to read pretty low) and shown on the Graph in WHP.

Stage 1 (ECU Tune alone): 605BHP
Stage 2: (ECU Tune + Crank Pulley): 645BHP
Stage 3: (ECU Tune + Upper Pulley): 660BHP

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Stuart@VelocityAP; 03-31-2020 at 06:43 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
DJS (03-31-2020), domino_z (03-31-2020), JacksonvilleJag (04-01-2020), Jagger47 (04-01-2020), JgaXkr (03-31-2020), Mahjik (03-31-2020), ss23 (04-01-2020), wurldfamuz (04-02-2020), XJ8JR (03-31-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2020, 06:35 AM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP

Very pleased to say that the results we saw were right on the money. All done with our 200 cell catted downpipes in place, with no other supporting mods (Meth, Charge Cooling etc.) Tested on a Superflow 2WD Loading Dyno (these tend to read pretty low) and shown on the Graph in WHP.

Thanks for the info Stuart, installing your upper pulley as well is definitely at the top of my to-do-list now (as soon as things are all settled that is)!

Did you guys note any problems with inefficiencies/heat when both pulleys are installed? Curious if it's worth getting the supercharger ported and working on the cooling for a dual pulley set up?

Old 04-01-2020, 03:54 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ss23
Thanks for the info Stuart, installing your upper pulley as well is definitely at the top of my to-do-list now (as soon as things are all settled that is)!

Did you guys note any problems with inefficiencies/heat when both pulleys are installed? Curious if it's worth getting the supercharger ported and working on the cooling for a dual pulley set up?
It does heat soak faster, however we were able to run it successfully on the dyno, with adequate airflow.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Sponsor

Since the time that we started this thread we are now well into the thousands of tunes performed on this engine platform (V6 & V8 Supercharged) across all models of Jaguar & Land Rover vehicles, and closing in on 1000 crank pulleys/upper pulleys. We've had lots of customers verifying numbers on their own local dynos and seen some solid confirmation across the board of our quoted figures. We've also observed now over 25 different software versions for FType alone. Sometimes that means relatively minor differences from one OEM file to another, but in some cases there are dramatic differences that require highly specialized JLR knowledge (that's where our factory JLR trained software engineer Chris comes in) in order to correctly identify the necessary parts of the maps. On a typical JLR tune we are editing between 60 and 70 tables in the ECU. Over this time we've also come across a lot of other tuning software and seen a wide range of files, from some good stuff that's well researched right through to files where 3 torque demand maps were bumped by 8% and literally not a single other thing edited. So.... do your research. There are always better and worse options out there.

We were fortunate to have a 2WD 'R' in our long-term care this winter, in order to do some development work on a couple of new products, but we also took the opportunity to re-confirm in a well controlled environment that as software versions have evolved and been updated from JLR, that our files & MODs are still cranking out the same output we expect.

Forum won't allow me to edit post for some reason - but the Stage 3 should read 'Crank and Upper Pulley + Tune'

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Forum won't allow me to edit post for some reason - but the Stage 3 should read 'Crank and Upper Pulley + Tune'
I think that edits are only allowed for a limited time. How long? I dunno.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R