F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 05:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
No, the left side shows stock vs stage 1 in both cases.

Addressed above.

I asked before, what is your explanation for the area under the green dots on both dynos. Its clear as a bell on my S and your R.

The dyno operator did the analysis. I wouldn't even hazard a guess how many runs he does a year. He pointed it out immediately.

A better question is why you think the OEM tune is dropping torque/timing on your R above 5800. Its clear as a bell on all three cars and all dynos, thats including the third party dyno I liked above.

I get the impression you guys are offended by the conversation, so no biggie, I was just pointing out that's how I got RC + one pulley to 560 WHP without the OEM tune adjusting for overheating. And it doesn't sound like a can of coins like some have posted. I thought you guys might be interested. My mistake.
What I'm amazed is your analogy of the data in last few posts. Yet you still seem to interpret something else entire, about this magical power drop somehow related to oil viscosity.
Guess an old phrase is valid in this case. "You can lead a horse to water, but can't make the horse drink it." Too each their own..

Zero offense taken, your open to whatever opinions and product believes.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 04-07-2020, 05:25 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
What I'm amazed is your analogy of the data in last few posts. Yet you still seem to interpret something else entire, about this magical power drop somehow related to oil viscosity.
Guess an old phrase is valid in this case. "You can lead a horse to water, but can't make the horse drink it." Too each their own..

Np, good luck with your double pulley integration. That makes VAP unique. I would offer to buy a VAP tune and a crank pulley to get a comparison between RC and SC pulley on the same dyno, but I still have 1/2 a year of warranty on the 2014. Good Jaguar! Plus, I'm not about to put that water I'm not drinking in the ol' oil pan.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP

Corollary:
You can lead a horticulture, but you can’t make her think.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Corollary:
You can lead a horticulture, but you can’t make her think.
Axiom:
Ignoring every sports car manufacturer in the world, makes a lot of superchargers clink.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-07-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I expect the "thermal inertia" (I prefer the term "heat capacity" but that's my scientific training) difference between the two grades of oil is a fraction of a percent. Post hoc ergo propter hoc? Uncontrolled variables? Grasping at straws?

Old 04-08-2020, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I expect the "thermal inertia" (I prefer the term "heat capacity" but that's my scientific training) difference between the two grades of oil is a fraction of a percent. Post hoc ergo propter hoc? Uncontrolled variables? Grasping at straws?
How do you explain this?

And when was our engine designed? For 0W-20? Nah.

Even Jag oil spec says Ford "Fuel Saver." If there is no downside to minimizing EPA fleet mpg fines, please return to question 1.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-08-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:17 AM
Banned

Here is the difference in oil viscosity. Note the standards let manufactures put two different labels on the same oil and still meet specs. The first paragraph is important for performance tuning.

It is good to know Jag has your back when cranking in -40 degree temperatures.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-08-2020 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Going to need a couple of six packs and a lot of pop corn for this show. Can't wait to see how it ends.

I've been following this discussion for a couple of days now. In actuality, I'm learning quite a bit about the car just from reading and then doing my own research.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
How do you explain this?

And when was our engine designed? For 0W-20? Nah.

Even Jag oil spec says Ford "Fuel Saver." If there is no downside to minimizing EPA fleet mpg fines, please return to question 1.
You don't seem to understand that heat capacity is not the same as viscosity. This is off topic here, so I'll refrain from further comment on this subject.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (04-08-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 08:21 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Is there a downside to going for the VAP crank pulley + tune kit instead of just the tune (except for the cost), or only the upside of more power?

I mean, does the weight of the pulley have any effect on throttle response for example? Or is there a risk for overheating? Is there a trade-off of *any* kind, or is the pulley + tune combo just better?

Old 04-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Stuart,

Question, companies like LISTER, ARDEN have cooling upgrades for the additional heat caused by installing a 11.5% overdrive pulley. Do you offer a cooling upgrade? In your opinion does the added heat keep the F-Type R from showing consistent power gains from the pulley or does timing get pulled at some point when driving hard?

Thank you,
SS

RichardCranium (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 11:10 AM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by jlsthlm
Is there a downside to going for the VAP crank pulley + tune kit instead of just the tune (except for the cost), or only the upside of more power?

I mean, does the weight of the pulley have any effect on throttle response for example? Or is there a risk for overheating? Is there a trade-off of *any* kind, or is the pulley + tune combo just better?
More speeding tickets?

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 04-14-2020, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlsthlm

So the pulley really isn't any heavier than the OEM. I'd have to double check our weights to confirm exactly but I've picked up OEM and our pulleys hundreds of times and there's not really any weight difference that you'd be able to gauge just by picking them up. The throttle response with the pulley is much quicker, because you're making more boost all the way through the RPM range so the crank pulley makes it much more immediate.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-14-2020, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
Stuart,

Question, companies like LISTER, ARDEN have cooling upgrades for the additional heat caused by installing a 11.5% overdrive pulley. Do you offer a cooling upgrade? In your opinion does the added heat keep the F-Type R from showing consistent power gains from the pulley or does timing get pulled at some point when driving hard?

Thank you,
SS
Your question is a good one.

For reference, here is the only Lister 2016 R on Dragy. Two things jump out: one, not a super fast run for an R, two, he obviously tried to cheat. Its disappointing Dragy algorithms verified this run allowing it to be uploaded. OTOH Dragy is the standard because you can still ID most cheats.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-14-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:48 AM
Sponsor

Stuart,

Thank you,
SS
We have something in the works. Our concern with simply adding a thicker heat exchanger is that it doesn't necessarily produce the cooling results anticipated. Imagine a really thick intercooler - like comically thick. At some point, the air flowing through the cooler has already achieved the maximum amount of heat exchange and is no longer able to absorb any heat from the cooler. Basically by the time it gets part of the way through the cooler it's already heated up so much that it can't make any difference.

Our system is a little different.

That being said, absolutely you can achieve plenty of power gains without pulling torque demand or timing. We were able to run both pulleys on the dyno and get full pulls without seeing any limitations. That's on a dyno where, really unless it's in a wind tunnel you're never going to see the kind of airflow you will if you're actually going 150MPH+. So really it probably depends what you mean by 'driving hard'. A spirited blast on the road, a 1/4 Mile, I don't think you would be very likely to start seeing limitation. 30 minute track session in the hands of a good driver, in 90 degree summer heat? Absolutely you will.

That said, more cooling is always good!

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-14-2020, 03:34 PM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We have something in the works. Our concern with simply adding a thicker heat exchanger is that it doesn't necessarily produce the cooling results anticipated. Imagine a really thick intercooler - like comically thick. At some point, the air flowing through the cooler has already achieved the maximum amount of heat exchange and is no longer able to absorb any heat from the cooler. Basically by the time it gets part of the way through the cooler it's already heated up so much that it can't make any difference.

Our system is a little different.

That being said, absolutely you can achieve plenty of power gains without pulling torque demand or timing. We were able to run both pulleys on the dyno and get full pulls without seeing any limitations. That's on a dyno where, really unless it's in a wind tunnel you're never going to see the kind of airflow you will if you're actually going 150MPH+. So really it probably depends what you mean by 'driving hard'. A spirited blast on the road, a 1/4 Mile, I don't think you would be very likely to start seeing limitation. 30 minute track session in the hands of a good driver, in 90 degree summer heat? Absolutely you will.

That said, more cooling is always good!
Stuart, I'm curious about the Overboost limits Chris mentioned earlier in this thread.

Does that mean the ECU will open the internal bypass valve earlier after back to back runs, regardless of improved cooling? Or do we only get 10 seconds of maximum boost during every run?

Old 04-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
So the pulley really isn't any heavier than the OEM. I'd have to double check our weights to confirm exactly but I've picked up OEM and our pulleys hundreds of times and there's not really any weight difference that you'd be able to gauge just by picking them up. The throttle response with the pulley is much quicker, because you're making more boost all the way through the RPM range so the crank pulley makes it much more immediate.
Thank you Stuart.

Will order one then.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:07 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Mr. Stuart, I appreciate the excellent answer to my question!

Here is the dyno graph from your website for the pulley and tune. What is happening between 5500 rpm and redline with the torque curve?

Thank you!

Old 04-15-2020, 09:18 AM
Sponsor

Here is the dyno graph from your website for the pulley and tune. What is happening between 5500 rpm and redline with the torque curve?

Thank you!
Do you have any other data, besides the dyno graph? We could speculate, but without logs it is just speculation.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-15-2020, 09:33 AM
Banned

Thank you!
The May 1 release of the GF-6 standard for 0W-20 and 5W-20 says heavy engine wear is happening. No speculation required.

This is not unique to VAP, the OEM tune pulls timing in the upper HP band too.

Avoid a designated fuel saver oil for peformance engines. AFAICT Jag is the only high output boosted engine in the world today recommending Ford's Fuel Saver spec of 0W/5W-20, all other performance makes recommend 0W/5W/10W SAE 40 to SAE 60. Do your own research, make your own decision.

dwmilton (05-03-2020)

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R