Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
+1. It doesn't appear that the tune alone would be worth it. In just reading what most folks are writing in the forums and messages. I'm definitely new and have no experience to this tuning stuff, but I'm trying. If I do a tune alone appears I would increase my HP from 380 to 390 and TQ from 339 to ~360. I've read that the HP through the curve is much better and I get that, but I think I would want more power and torque. From what I've read if I do a lower pulley and a tune then I can be in the 430HP range and 410 TQ range with the same spread across the curve and now that sounds "AMAZING" and definitely has peaked my interests. Am I misunderstanding everything? I apologize for my ignorance and dumb questions, just trying to learn from you experts =)
I think you understand things just fine. In my case, tune only is worth considering. If do a tune alone I go from 340 to 390hp, and torque from 332 to 360. That's what I meant by a much bigger gain in a tune only for the base.

Most significant, I think, is flattening out the torque curve so you don't get the big peak at 4300rpm, and steep slopes on either side of that.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-03-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

gotcha. Thank you. Yeah I mean If I could get to the 430HP and 410TQ range with just a tune then I would definitely be interested, but I think I will only be able to reach those ranges with the larger lower supercharger pulley upgrade (11.50%). I think that will be the most I would modify on this particular vehicle, but think only doing those 2 changes will show a significant change in dyno and performance. =)

Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

gotcha. Thank you. Yeah I mean If I could get to the 430HP and 410TQ range with just a tune then I would definitely be interested, but I think I will only be able to reach those ranges with the larger lower supercharger pulley upgrade (11.50%). I think that will be the most I would modify on this particular vehicle, but think only doing those 2 changes will show a significant change in dyno and performance. =)
The 427hp/407tq results on my car were actually achieved with a tune and a 2.5% upper pulley. After the Lobster run, I will have the 11.5% lower pulley installed, but will instruct the tuner to maintain the peak torque in the 410 range, with the objective of getting the torque throughout the rpm range as close to that number as possible. I have my doubts about the ability of the ZF S6-45 tranny to handle much more.With this strategy, it will also allow the tuner to back off on timing to improve the engine longevity.

I don't believe anyone with a V6 has installed the 11.5% lower pulley yet.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-03-2016 at 09:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dwmilton (05-03-2020)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The 427hp/407tq results on my car were actually achieved with a tune and a 2.5% upper pulley. After the Lobster run, I will have the 11.5% lower pulley installed, but will instruct the tuner to maintain the peak torque in the 410 range, with the objective of getting the torque throughout the rpm range as close to that number as possible. I have my doubts about the ability of the ZF S6-45 tranny to handle much more.With this strategy, it will also allow the tuner to back off on timing to improve the engine longevity.

I don't believe anyone with a V6 has installed the 11.5% lower pulley yet.
Those numbers are impressive and for a tune and the 2.5% upper pulley. I'm looking forward to seeing how your car performs with the lower pulley done after the Lobster Run. I would look for similar performance as the 425HP and 410 TQ through more of the RPM range. I would think your car would be a beast. Hopefully I can make it down to see you and John once its done so I can experience the results first hand. I'm very excited for you and eagerly waiting your results. =)

Old 05-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Those numbers are impressive and for a tune and the 2.5% upper pulley. I'm looking forward to seeing how your car performs with the lower pulley done after the Lobster Run. I would look for similar performance as the 425HP and 410 TQ through more of the RPM range. I would think your car would be a beast. Hopefully I can make it down to see you and John once its done so I can experience the results first hand. I'm very excited for you and eagerly waiting your results. =)
It's already a beast, but capable of more with a broader torque curve. I'll keep you posted.

Smoke Em (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's already a beast, but capable of more with a broader torque curve. I'll keep you posted.
I'm sure it is and I'm very jealous now, can't imagine what more the beast can do =). Please do keep me updated and appreciate all of our conversations on this topic. I can't wait to see the results.

Thank you

Last edited by Smoke Em; 05-04-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Details on a tune for a 2016 Base V6 automatic? Kinda embarrassing when I've got a Nissan 370z keeping up with me...
We can get you up to the mid-high 390's, perhaps as much as 400. Our V6 development hit a bit of a wall with some dyno/customer datalogging issues, but just our initial basic testing I think got to 390 or so. We did have some more aggressive fuel & spark maps set up, which will definitely increase the output but as far as actually measuring those results we did have some issues.

We do have an alternative plan in place. So for now we can probably jump you about 55-60BHP, and if we dial in further at a later date you will receive the revisions free of charge.

Price is $995, including the hand-held programmer.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

dwmilton (05-03-2020)
Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We can get you up to the mid-high 390's, perhaps as much as 400. Our V6 development hit a bit of a wall with some dyno/customer datalogging issues, but just our initial basic testing I think got to 390 or so. We did have some more aggressive fuel & spark maps set up, which will definitely increase the output but as far as actually measuring those results we did have some issues.

We do have an alternative plan in place. So for now we can probably jump you about 55-60BHP, and if we dial in further at a later date you will receive the revisions free of charge.

Price is $995, including the hand-held programmer.
Stuart, I'm also waiting to see the numbers on the V6 tune only.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:43 PM

Foosh,

For you guys I can see doing just the tune because of what you will gain, but for me to spend all that money for just 10 to maybe 15 HP I don't see it worth it, but I can be very wrong being new to this. I figured if I go the lower pulley 11.5%+ more then I should be able to get the 40 to 50 HP (380 to 425ish) and say 60 to 65 TQ (339 to 410ish) then those numbers should significantly improve performance on the car and only for an additional $1,100 - $1,200 (pulley + install). I guess being completely new to this I'm just focusing on the numbers since that's all I can see and quantify as opposed to know what the performance would be in the tune only.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Foosh,

For you guys I can see doing just the tune because of what you will gain, but for me to spend all that money for just 10 to maybe 15 HP I don't see it worth it, but I can be very wrong being new to this. I figured if I go the lower pulley 11.5%+ more then I should be able to get the 40 to 50 HP (380 to 425ish) and say 60 to 65 TQ (339 to 410ish) then those numbers should significantly improve performance on the car and only for an additional $1,100 - $1,200 (pulley + install). I guess being completely new to this I'm just focusing on the numbers since that's all I can see and quantify as opposed to know what the performance would be in the tune only.
I can certainly understand your point, but the raw, top-end, numbers tell only part of the story. Evening out that torque curve (making more torque available across a much broader rpm range) is HUGE in terms of increasing the "fun quotient."

To me it would be worth $1K just for that. But, that's precisely why I want to see the top-to-bottom numbers like Unhingd posted.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-04-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I can certainly understand your point, but the raw, top-end, numbers tell only part of the story. Evening out that torque curve (making more torque available across a much broader rpm range) is HUGE in terms of increasing the "fun quotient."

To me it would be worth $1K just for that. But, that's precisely why I want to see the top-to-bottom numbers like Unhingd posted.
Absolutely agreed sir. I'm torn between the tune only and the lower pulley and the tune and I'll be content. I've never witnessed any torque as I have now and can't imagine spreading that out even further. I'm eagerly awaiting his results to see as well. I'm hoping I can make mine as fun/beast as his and enjoy the summer in a "BEAST".. LOL

Old 05-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Just got off a 20 minute phone call with Stuart. I'm impressed with his knowledge and professionalism. I feel fairly confident in making the plunge in getting my base V6 tuned. Stuart also gave me the option of going with the software from a V6S which will more than likely be the option I will go with.

@Stuart:
Last question.... are all the tunes are California 91 Octane friendly?

Old 05-04-2016, 01:07 PM

Just got off a 20 minute phone call with Stuart. I'm impressed with his knowledge and professionalism. I feel fairly confident in making the plunge in getting my base V6 tuned. Stuart also gave me the option of going with the software from a V6S which will more than likely be the option I will go with.

@Stuart:
Awesome.. Congrats and good luck. Please share results as there are several of us eagerly heading down this performance upgrade.

Question - If a tune is on 91 Octane that would be the minimum, but if we use 93 would we see a slight increase in performance (HP/TQ) or would we need to tune it for that? I'm fine either way, as I'm located in Jersey 93 is easily available and will only be running that in mine. Thanks for the help guys

Old 05-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Sponsor

@Stuart:
They certainly can be - we can set up for both 91 and 93, per customers' available fuel qualities.

www.velocityap.com

Smoke Em (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Sponsor

Awesome.. Congrats and good luck. Please share results as there are several of us eagerly heading down this performance upgrade.

Question - If a tune is on 91 Octane that would be the minimum, but if we use 93 would we see a slight increase in performance (HP/TQ) or would we need to tune it for that? I'm fine either way, as I'm located in Jersey 93 is easily available and will only be running that in mine. Thanks for the help guys
Not really. If your tune was optimized for 93 Octane, that would mean your 91 Octane tune would be much closer to knocking, and therefore pulling timing to protect the engine. And timing pulls are usually not little gradual tweaks, if knock is detected or over temp or similar things it will pull quite sharply so you would actually be running with diminished performance on 91, quite possibly.

www.velocityap.com

Smoke Em (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

They certainly can be - we can set up for both 91 and 93, per customers' available fuel qualities.
Hi Stuart,

So as a follow-on question from WhiteTardis' post, you would load the tune in a base car that you developed starting w/ the V6S tune?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Foosh
Hi Stuart,

So as a follow-on question from WhiteTardis' post, you would load the tune in a base car that you developed starting w/ the V6S tune?
Yes, if that's what the customer desires. Or, if someone with a base just wants V6S OEM settings, that's also possible.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, if that's what the customer desires. Or, if someone with a base just wants V6S OEM settings, that's also possible.
What I'm looking for is an improvement on the V6S tune. The problem with it is only 7 ft lbs. more torque than base, and the extra 40 ponies don't start arriving until nearly 5K rpm. Up to that point, the two engines have similar amounts of power. It also has the steep torque curve peaking at 4300 rpm with steep slopes on either side of the peak.

I've always thought the only reason to purchase the V6S was not for the power, but for the LSD, and adjustable suspension.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-04-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Starting to get interested again.... Are the future revisions included in the price?

Old 05-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
Starting to get interested again.... Are the future revisions included in the price?
Yes

And, if you let us know at the time we will write you an additional file for a pulley etc. if you want to have that ready to go for a later date.

www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Cherry_560sel (01-26-2017), dwmilton (05-03-2020)

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R