F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:50 PM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Just to rule out the obvious - sure you didn’t bump a paddle? In D+S (and maybe S), once you shift manually, it will stop shifting at the rev limiter.
Nah, 100 percent sure I was in auto

Old 03-26-2021, 04:00 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Hell Cat
So you are saying there is likely a particular set of conditions that has the car think it should be shifting beyond the limiter?

Vehicle was in for annual warranty service in February, I would think any pressing tcu updates should have been applied then.

Thanks for the quick response time btw
Yes, there's well over 90 maps for shift point maps with axis of TQ vs RPM.

I wouldn't assume on the dealer doing anything other than what you brought in the vehicle for..aka service..
Majority of dealers need to live by a No complaint = No Fix. If it's not a safety or an emissions related issue (Recall..etc), it will not get repaired unless you raise a concern. It's not just a JLR thing, it's a manufacture request to reduce warranty costs through out all brands...I mean maybe if you had a Rolls Royce or Ferrari they might do anything and everything. However, middleclass and below vehicles get the No-Complaint-No-Fix treatment.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 03-30-2021, 09:58 AM
Sponsor
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Running some numbers this morning for those who are interested. Since we started tuning for the AJ126 and AJ133 engine platform in 2015, we have now successfully completed well into the thousands of tunes, and we are *very* close to the 1000 mark with pulleys. At a conservative estimate of 10,000 miles per year of usage (some are trailer queens, some are daily driven FTypes, FPace, Range Rovers, XF & XE's etc.) we are at roughly 50 million miles traveled by customers with our ECU Tuning packages. If the average mileage is higher, perhaps closer to 100 million miles!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 5 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
DPelletier (03-30-2021), F-Type-Type (03-31-2021), Mahjik (03-31-2021), stmcknig (03-30-2021), XJ8JR (03-30-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm installing my lower pulley and tune on my 2016 V8 in the next few weeks and planned on installing new colder plugs at the same time. I noticed VAP removed the one heat range cooler sparkplugs for the V8 from the store. Is there a different recommendation on the plugs now? My stock plugs are ILKAR7C-10, I planned on installing a heat range 6 plug and gapping to .036".

Old 04-02-2021, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TM1238
I'm installing my lower pulley and tune on my 2016 V8 in the next few weeks and planned on installing new colder plugs at the same time. I noticed VAP removed the one heat range cooler sparkplugs for the V8 from the store. Is there a different recommendation on the plugs now? My stock plugs are ILKAR7C-10, I planned on installing a heat range 6 plug and gapping to .036".
If those are NGK, the heat range 6 is hotter than 7.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
If those are NGK, the heat range 6 is hotter than 7.
You're right, I was looking at a different manufacturer's chart. These are NGK's so I'd be looking at heat range 8. Is that still the general rule of thumb, one heat range cooler?

Old 04-02-2021, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

You're right, I was looking at a different manufacturer's chart. These are NGK's so I'd be looking at heat range 8. Is that still the general rule of thumb, one heat range cooler?
I've got a V6, so can only go by what I've read here for the V8. There's a thread that caught my attention not long ago that talks about this:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...9/#post2360100

Old 04-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Sponsor

We stopped offering the NGK plugs for 2 reasons:
1. Jaguar changed the heat range of the OEM plugs by one step cooler
2. NGK changed the specification of the plugs we were selling and the spark direction was altered

www.velocityap.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
JgaXkr (04-04-2021), Panthro (06-18-2024), Sparky H (04-05-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts
Wink

Super fast, Thanks!

Old 06-01-2021, 08:43 AM

Wondering if anyone else had the same flashing experience as I did. When I flashed the tune the dials went a little crazy like a lot of people mention. However, I did not wind up with a check engine light. Has anyone else flashed without a CEL coming up? I'm assuming the tune went through fine because I revved out the car past the 4K mark and did not get an "overboost" condition from the upsized pulley like would happen on the factory tune.

Also, I had requested the auto start/stop be disabled in the tune. I have not heard that system kick in yet but the car still lights the "A" button on the center tunnel and when I press it the message pops up on the instrument panel noting that start/stop was disabled. Does this sound like the correct behavior?

Old 06-01-2021, 09:25 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Wondering if anyone else had the same flashing experience as I did. When I flashed the tune the dials went a little crazy like a lot of people mention. However, I did not wind up with a check engine light. Has anyone else flashed without a CEL coming up? I'm assuming the tune went through fine because I revved out the car past the 4K mark and did not get an "overboost" condition from the upsized pulley like would happen on the factory tune.

Also, I had requested the auto start/stop be disabled in the tune. I have not heard that system kick in yet but the car still lights the "A" button on the center tunnel and when I press it the message pops up on the instrument panel noting that start/stop was disabled. Does this sound like the correct behavior?
My CEL came on but I have vap cats so maybe that's why. As far as the tune, I installed it and my injector ended up getting stuck lol

Old 06-01-2021, 10:35 AM
Sponsor

Even when the stop/start is disabled it will still 'function' in that the light will stay on, and it will switch on and off. It will just never achieve the conditions required to allow the engine to be shut off. It's far easier to change a parameter (like ambient temperature must equal -273 degrees) than it is to remove that section of code entirely.

www.velocityap.com

Old 06-01-2021, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Even when the stop/start is disabled it will still 'function' in that the light will stay on, and it will switch on and off. It will just never achieve the conditions required to allow the engine to be shut off. It's far easier to change a parameter (like ambient temperature must equal -273 degrees) than it is to remove that section of code entirely.
Great, thanks for the quick response! Tune is great so far. Paired with the 200 cell cats from VAP it's a whole different car.

The following users liked this post:
supersportmtl (06-03-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:49 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

If anyone had to go get a smog check under the new CA ECU sniffing procedures, please post your experience, especially whether you can pass by simply flashing the stock tune back on.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MisplacedPriorities
If anyone had to go get a smog check under the new CA ECU sniffing procedures, please post your experience, especially whether you can pass by simply flashing the stock tune back on.
I'm so excited about this, because ******** with lifted trucks with coal-rolling tunes will get ****ed.

VAP - what do I need to do here? 2015 with your ECU tune.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by OnlySlightlyEvil
I'm so excited about this, because ******** with lifted trucks with coal-rolling tunes will get ****ed.

I already asked in advance. Here's their response.

We don’t know all the details, but it’s possible that flashing back to stock might do the trick. Really don’t know at this point.
So they need feedback just as much as the rest of us...I've been scouring other forums, and results are very YMMV. If you have a VAP cat as I do however, simply flashing back to stock won't work, because it will trigger the CEL. So we're possibly looking at necessitating putting the stock cat back on just to pass...

Last edited by MisplacedPriorities; 07-15-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:35 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlySlightlyEvil

It's a CVN and CAL ID verification...

This means if the file is tuned and not altered to match the CVN, the exam will 100% fail and not pass IF THE CVN DOESN'T MATCH THE CARB DATABASE.

California announced last June 2020, the CVN and CAL ID's would be logged on each vehicle to create a database. CARB will use the collected data to monitor and compare against the collected vehicles.

The main issue I see which I could build a class action being brought into the mix; Lets say you own a company of fleet vehicles and require the max speed set at 50mph for safety and better insurance premium (wtv the case and factory warranty is out of this conversation). Those fleet vehicles would now fail a CARB check from a mismatched CVN check..a check that CARB believes if the CVN or CAL ID is altered, would be a complete assumption of the emissions control devices being disabled. Question would be, how does a speed limiter affect factory installed emissions devices?? Why would that vehicle fail..?

For some vehicles like VAG products, there's often 1 CAL ID and CVN for 3-5 years of that same model of vehicles. Example; an Audi S4 from 2013 to 2016 can share the same CVN and CAL ID. However a 2013 vs 2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 will NOT share the same CVN and CAL ID because JLR changes the file PER YEAR OF MODEL YEAR. Those software versions also change when a new dealer update is available for the vehicle(LOL..how often does JLR announce updated, I've lost count..). So on a simple F-Type 340BHP 3.0L RWD model, can have 5-6 CVN CAL ID's per year of build.

The only way this CVN CAL ID verification check would work, is if all vehicle manufactures were to provide CARB with a complete list of CVN CAL ID's loaded to vehicles and a similar list to the software that will be released as an updated dealer file to resolve wtv issues. Otherwise, would an exemption be made if a dealer invoice was to show a vehicle is up to date with latest software but did not match ha CARB CVN database?..aka which database is being used to compare against..that is the key to this actually working out without any issues. Also, how far back will vehicles need to match this requirement.
Would a 1995 VW Jetta be required to match?
What about an imported older RHD Nissan GT-R was to perform the test? Would the last test it performed be set in stone as the CAL ID CVN values, what if there was no last test?

Nonetheless, we as a tuning company do not have control over the CVN. We can alter the CAL ID but in all the VAP files, it's left same as stock. When the file is edited in any way though, this changes the CVN entirely when the flash tool corrects the checksum. The only way the CVN could match the stock vs modified file, is if the tool companies make this possible (entirely possible, some tools to this for BMW in UK). If the tools companies did make this possible for Americas market, would they be printing a bullseye for a lawsuit from the EPA?? Or if a tuning company flashed a file that corrects the CVN, would EPA be chasing after them?

So, my advise to pass a CARB exam; Flash stock for the CARB exam. If you have pulley's or downpipes, odds are you will not pass the drive cycle for the Catalysts if downpipes are fitted(1 failed monitor) AND if the CARB exam requires a hard pull to be done then those pulley's will trigger fault codes and enter limp mode (MIL active = failed exam).

*I've never performed or attended a CARB exam, so I wouldn't have 100% knowledge into CARB, the above is strictly my outlook on how it could potentially go and roll out..etc.*

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following users liked this post:
DJS (07-17-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 05:04 PM
Received 223 Likes on 125 Posts
Default The end result of this mess....

Hello Guys,
I lived in Southern California from 1982 to 1988. California has always been a "car culture" state. I think the politicians are doing this because they know there is such a huge car culture population in California and this will be their way to extract as much money as possible from these car owners. The politicians are always scheming trying to figure out a way to take your money and in this case I think they believe by doing what is now taking place in California they will fine each car owner a pretty hefty penalty to pay to the state of California in order to rectify the issue of the car being modified, tuned and not being stock. If and when the car owner pays the penalty fee then they will be in good standing with the state of California to be able to use that specific vehicle. Keep in mind there is a war against petrol and petrol operated vehicles by certain groups so they have no mercy on anyone who has a gas operated automobile at this point. I personally think it's going to wind up being just a big money grab from the car owners.
The state's goal sadly is to suck you dry financially. I won't go any further than that.

Last edited by Turko; 07-15-2021 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-15-2021, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
It's a CVN and CAL ID verification...

This means if the file is tuned and not altered to match the CVN, the exam will 100% fail and not pass IF THE CVN DOESN'T MATCH THE CARB DATABASE.

California announced last June 2020, the CVN and CAL ID's would be logged on each vehicle to create a database. CARB will use the collected data to monitor and compare against the collected vehicles.

The main issue I see which I could build a class action being brought into the mix; Lets say you own a company of fleet vehicles and require the max speed set at 50mph for safety and better insurance premium (wtv the case and factory warranty is out of this conversation). Those fleet vehicles would now fail a CARB check from a mismatched CVN check..a check that CARB believes if the CVN or CAL ID is altered, would be a complete assumption of the emissions control devices being disabled. Question would be, how does a speed limiter affect factory installed emissions devices?? Why would that vehicle fail..?

For some vehicles like VAG products, there's often 1 CAL ID and CVN for 3-5 years of that same model of vehicles. Example; an Audi S4 from 2013 to 2016 can share the same CVN and CAL ID. However a 2013 vs 2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 will NOT share the same CVN and CAL ID because JLR changes the file PER YEAR OF MODEL YEAR. Those software versions also change when a new dealer update is available for the vehicle(LOL..how often does JLR announce updated, I've lost count..). So on a simple F-Type 340BHP 3.0L RWD model, can have 5-6 CVN CAL ID's per year of build.

The only way this CVN CAL ID verification check would work, is if all vehicle manufactures were to provide CARB with a complete list of CVN CAL ID's loaded to vehicles and a similar list to the software that will be released as an updated dealer file to resolve wtv issues. Otherwise, would an exemption be made if a dealer invoice was to show a vehicle is up to date with latest software but did not match ha CARB CVN database?..aka which database is being used to compare against..that is the key to this actually working out without any issues. Also, how far back will vehicles need to match this requirement.
Would a 1995 VW Jetta be required to match?
What about an imported older RHD Nissan GT-R was to perform the test? Would the last test it performed be set in stone as the CAL ID CVN values, what if there was no last test?

Nonetheless, we as a tuning company do not have control over the CVN. We can alter the CAL ID but in all the VAP files, it's left same as stock. When the file is edited in any way though, this changes the CVN entirely when the flash tool corrects the checksum. The only way the CVN could match the stock vs modified file, is if the tool companies make this possible (entirely possible, some tools to this for BMW in UK). If the tools companies did make this possible for Americas market, would they be printing a bullseye for a lawsuit from the EPA?? Or if a tuning company flashed a file that corrects the CVN, would EPA be chasing after them?

So, my advise to pass a CARB exam; Flash stock for the CARB exam. If you have pulley's or downpipes, odds are you will not pass the drive cycle for the Catalysts if downpipes are fitted(1 failed monitor) AND if the CARB exam requires a hard pull to be done then those pulley's will trigger fault codes and enter limp mode (MIL active = failed exam).

*I've never performed or attended a CARB exam, so I wouldn't have 100% knowledge into CARB, the above is strictly my outlook on how it could potentially go and roll out..etc.*
Thanks for the clarification...ultimately, someone needs to shoulder the risk of possibly getting ref'd to test...sucks.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:05 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Here is an interesting article on the California move to look at ECU tunes with suggested work arounds from LSX Magazine: California To Check For ECU Tunes (Here’s the Workaround) (lsxmag.com)

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R