Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Eubster
I really wish I could financially justify doing this right now. I've still got a couple years left on my CPO warranty and told myself I wouldn't do any engine tuning until it was up. However, I've now had my F-Type for about a year and a half and did a bunch of rallies, a few days at the drag strip, and a track day this year and definitely got the itch for "mo powah babeh!" However, even with the current sale going on, going all in with the pulley swap, engine tune, tcm tune, and sport cats (I understand the VAP tune eats the stock cats), is $4800 + tax before install costs. Ah well, maybe next year.
The VAP tune doesn't ''eat cats" and if you hanker after more power your best bet is to start slow and build up later as finances permit.
Just get the tune only to start with which doesn't cost a helluva lot and the installation is DIY so free, then if down the track you spring for a pulley or two the associated tune will cost you no extra.

The following users liked this post:
Turko (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I get your point. I just know that if I went "just a tune" for now, I'd immediately regret not doing pulleys too. And from what I've heard, the TCM tune makes a huge difference. I just wish they had a package deal to do the ECU and TCM tune together because it seems like they go hand in hand. And maybe I'm completely wrong about the cats, but I swear I've read multiple threads on here that people's stock cats were shot within 6 months or so of going the tuning route.

Turko (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I get your point. I just know that if I went "just a tune" for now, I'd immediately regret not doing pulleys too. And from what I've heard, the TCM tune makes a huge difference. I just wish they had a package deal to do the ECU and TCM tune together because it seems like they go hand in hand. And maybe I'm completely wrong about the cats, but I swear I've read multiple threads on here that people's stock cats were shot within 6 months or so of going the tuning route.
How so? The bit that makes the difference (noting the earlier point about how the waste gate will just dump any excess boost generated) is the tune.

Plus, unless you have the SUV variant*, it's a very traction limited chassis. Even the V6 could do a rolling burnout to the rev limiter in 3rd on dry tarmac (you start in first and then upshift as you run out of revs - but save trying this for the day when you give a worn set of tires the full 'Viking Funeral').

*it lacks the ride height, but has the drivetrain

Last edited by F-typical; 12-05-2021 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Footnote added
Old 12-05-2021, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

One issue with a "Package" deal on TCM and ECU tuning, is that they have to use different platforms to modify the modules. For example...My TCU is HP Tuner, and the ECU uses a different device (Powergate 3) to install the tunes. They may be able to find a platform that works on both? But have not seen that yet.

DC

Old 12-05-2021, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
How so? The bit that makes the difference (noting the earlier point about how the waste gate will just dump any excess boost generated) is the tune.

Plus, unless you have the SUV variant*, it's a very traction limited chassis. Even the V6 could do a rolling burnout to the rev limiter in 3rd on dry tarmac (you start in first and then upshift as you run out of revs - but save trying this for the day when you give a worn set of tires the full 'Viking Funeral').

Well, I do indeed have the "SUV variant" (2017 FType R), so I am not particularly traction limited from a dig.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I do indeed have the "SUV variant" (2017 FType R), so I am not particularly traction limited from a dig.
I am pretty sure F-Type R's are NOT considered SUVs. 2016 and on are AWD, but when I look at mine, I never think of it as an SUV. I have an SUV....But the F-Type is not one ?? Am I missing something?

DC

F-Type R

SUV (Porsche Cayenne S)

JacksonvilleJag (12-07-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:27 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
I am pretty sure F-Type R's are NOT considered SUVs. 2016 and on are AWD, but when I look at mine, I never think of it as an SUV. I have an SUV....But the F-Type is not one ?? Am I missing something?
What you're missing is an absence of rational thought.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

And maybe I'm completely wrong about the cats, but I swear I've read multiple threads on here that people's stock cats were shot within 6 months or so of going the tuning route.
I've been running the tune and pulleys for 3 years now with no cat damage. Almost 25k miles.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:01 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

if you're looking to save money with VAP stuff, now's the time to pull the trigger because the Black Friday sale until Dec 10th.

With respects to the ECU tune burning through your cats, here are my thoughts and what I've come to understand:

The F Type from the factory, with the way it's tuned, will burn through your cats at some point. Depending on a number of things (how aggressive you drive i.e. constantly revving to get the pops, how many miles, etc) you will eventually burn through your cats. It seem like F type owner's factory cats are starting to go anywhere between 60-80k miles with the stock tune. Others have mentioned that this is why Jaguar dialed back the aggressive exhaust pops in the 2020 cars (I may be off by a year or 2). So even without any mods, your cats will eventually go depending on how you drive.

When you get the VAP ECU tune, you can keep the factory Pops, Burble and Bang (PBB) OR you can get the tune with "additional" PBB, and that's much more aggressive and that will definitely burn through your cats faster. You can request from VAP to provide 2 tuning files... with and without the additional PBB. That's what I did. I currently have the factory cats and I'm run the VAP ECU tune without the additional PBB but I have both tunes.

Even though I'm not running the additional PBB in my tune, if I were to drive aggressively and trying to get pops, I would naturally burn through my cats faster and that's not necessarily VAP's fault, that's really on me and my driving style...

Having said all that, I do like the additional PBB and would like to run my car with that in the tune. My car has 67K miles and it's at that point where the cats will potentially go if I run it with the additional PBB tune so I ordered the VAP 200 cell cats and Exhaust system. Will it burn up the 200 cell cats? Sure, at some point it probably will but since these VAP cats are free flowing, I'm less worried about that and just want to have fun with it.

So I would say 1) if you want to get this VAP stuff at a great price, nows the time to do it. 2) If you're worried about your burning through your cats, don't get the additional PBB tune. Does this guarantee you won't have issues with your cats? No because it's hard to say without knowing your car's driving history.

*****I'm far from an expert on this stuff but from research, personal trial/error efforts, and "connecting the dots" on some of this stuff, this is what I've come to understand. I hope this gives you some details to make your decision.

Sparky H (12-08-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 11:54 PM

I appreciate the input @datriani . I'm with you that now's clearly the best time to pull the trigger on the VAP stuff if you're going to do it. Which is why I've added the tunes, pulleys and sport cats to my cart at least 5 times over the last week. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, I was out of work for about 8 months end of 2020/beginning of 2021, so I just can't bring myself to justify spending $6k+ (after install), when I already love my car as is. As I mentioned before, rallies, track days, and trips to the drag strip have given me the sickness of always wanting just a little bit more. I didn't mean for my post to come off as complaining or anything; just bummed that VAP basically has the one sale a year which means if I don't pull the trigger now, I'm gonna end up waiting at least another full year.

@Therock88 yeah I'm not really sure what the whole "SUV variant" thing was about, but I assumed he was referring to the AWD FTypes, so I just went with the joke. On a semi-related note, if anyone's curious, a stock AWD FType R is basically a dead draw with a Jeep Trackhawk on an 1/8th mile non-prepped surface. I'd have definitely have pulled on him at a 1/4 or longer though . That was a race I was particularly very curious about since I sold my Trackhawk a couple months before getting my FType last year.

Old 12-07-2021, 01:19 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

The only thing that comes to mind on the "SUV variant" comment.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

@Therock88 yeah I'm not really sure what the whole "SUV variant" thing was about, but I assumed he was referring to the AWD FTypes, so I just went with the joke. On a semi-related note, if anyone's curious, a stock AWD FType R is basically a dead draw with a Jeep Trackhawk on an 1/8th mile non-prepped surface. I'd have definitely have pulled on him at a 1/4 or longer though . That was a race I was particularly very curious about since I sold my Trackhawk a couple months before getting my FType last year.
Yeah....That is why we don't leave them stock! ...I have some videos posted on here somewhere of some of my 1/2 mile airstrip runs, beating most cars I raced. I recall one was a modified Saleen Mustang, and one was a modified Mercedes AMG GTS.

DC

Old 12-07-2021, 06:52 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

I appreciate the input @datriani . I'm with you that now's clearly the best time to pull the trigger on the VAP stuff if you're going to do it. Which is why I've added the tunes, pulleys and sport cats to my cart at least 5 times over the last week. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, I was out of work for about 8 months end of 2020/beginning of 2021, so I just can't bring myself to justify spending $6k+ (after install), when I already love my car as is. As I mentioned before, rallies, track days, and trips to the drag strip have given me the sickness of always wanting just a little bit more. I didn't mean for my post to come off as complaining or anything; just bummed that VAP basically has the one sale a year which means if I don't pull the trigger now, I'm gonna end up waiting at least another full year.
Glad you're able to get your footing after a rough drought. Best of luck to you. PM sent.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
What you're missing is an absence of rational thought.
No, no. What you're missing is a sense of humour.

His car is not so traction limited as the RWD, so can probably handle more torque.

HTH.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member

No, no. What you're missing is a sense of humour.
Are you sure? No one else has ever accused me of that in 70 years ....

Old 12-07-2021, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Are you sure? No one else has ever accused me of that in 70 years ....
I assumed you were being humorous in your response, and not accusing ME of not having rational thought....Otherwise I would have a much different response as well...

Take care,
DC

Old 12-07-2021, 10:04 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
I assumed you were being humorous in your response, and not accusing ME of not having rational thought...
I was suggesting that you were missing an absence of rational thought - I had to read it few times myself to make sure that sort-of double negative said what I intended. You strike me as a very rational individual (intakes of meths notwithstanding! ).

Therock88 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 12:44 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Yes, the bypass valve will dump excess boost (unless commanded not to.) But the pulley also makes a difference, if the vehicle is tuned concurrently because you can generate more boost when the bypass is fully or partially close.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 12-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered the basic V8S tune because I'm not (or more accurately a mechanic is not) going to screw with my supercharger's pulleys. Fully rear wheel drive is still a bit crazy at 495 HP, but now it's time to see how much wilder 605 will be.

Fortunately, I live in a state that has not required passenger vehicle emissions checks in something like 20 years so I can avoid this whole new debate.

Stuart, you were very helpful in answering my questions.

Now considering taking odds on whether I manage to brick my ECU.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:07 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenF
Now considering taking odds on whether I manage to brick my ECU.
You won't. The ECU flash, while time-consuming (figure 30 minutes for the first read and 15 minutes for the first flash) is very easy and VAP provides excellent step-by-step instructions. And their tech support both pre- and post-sale is second to none. I've never seen an aftermarket company with such thorough and quick tech support.

You are definitely going to want the car to be on a battery tender when you do it though. It is *strongly* recommended.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R