F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 12:57 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenF
Just ordered the basic V8S tune because I'm not (or more accurately a mechanic is not) going to screw with my supercharger's pulleys. Fully rear wheel drive is still a bit crazy at 495 HP, but now it's time to see how much wilder 605 will be.

Fortunately, I live in a state that has not required passenger vehicle emissions checks in something like 20 years so I can avoid this whole new debate.

Stuart, you were very helpful in answering my questions.

Now considering taking odds on whether I manage to brick my ECU.
I have a V8S and installed my tune (no pulleys) about a month ago. Very easy and no issues. Just don't unplug it while it's writing the file and there's nothing to worry about. And yes, that RWD with the tune is crazy fun!

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-18-2024)
Old 12-09-2021, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenF
Now considering taking odds on whether I manage to brick my ECU.
The instructions are very clear and very straight forward that VAP will provide you. Follow those and there is zero chance you'll have an issue.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:03 PM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I meant to post this a few months ago but got busy and then kind of forgot about it: a brief list of impressions that I jotted down shortly after I finally pulled the trigger on the pulley + tune in early September of last year.
I knew I'd have to write the initial impressions down since after a while I'd get used to the new performance characteristics and forget the specifics of what it used to feel like.

- engine runs smoother, makes shifting easier too
- more torque in low rpm (less downshifting in town) -- actually gives better mpg for day-to-day
- better acceleration
- easier to break traction on 1-2 shift
- broke traction on a 2-3 shift in TracDSC on a warm-ish dry day (rears are 295 Michelin Pilot Sports) -- never happened before
- pulls harder, longer ("lag/sluggishness" is gone)
- noticeable supercharger whine at high rpm, sounds amazing
- much easier to hit milestone speeds; milestone speeds achieved & exceeded more often
- regularly hitting speeds that are +10 on old top-out speeds on a given stretch of road on my regular routes
- belt squeal is gone, hallelujah
- car now has the torque & speed to match its sound & looks
- this is the way that one would *expect* a 6-figure sport GT to feel; VAP has ironed out the wrinkles

The following 2 users liked this post by Luc Lapierre:
F-Type-Type (01-09-2022), OzXFR (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I meant to post this a few months ago but got busy and then kind of forgot about it: a brief list of impressions that I jotted down shortly after I finally pulled the trigger on the pulley + tune in early September of last year.
I knew I'd have to write the initial impressions down since after a while I'd get used to the new performance characteristics and forget the specifics of what it used to feel like.

- engine runs smoother, makes shifting easier too
- more torque in low rpm (less downshifting in town) -- actually gives better mpg for day-to-day
- better acceleration
- easier to break traction on 1-2 shift
- broke traction on a 2-3 shift in TracDSC on a warm-ish dry day (rears are 295 Michelin Pilot Sports) -- never happened before
- pulls harder, longer ("lag/sluggishness" is gone)
- noticeable supercharger whine at high rpm, sounds amazing
- much easier to hit milestone speeds; milestone speeds achieved & exceeded more often
- regularly hitting speeds that are +10 on old top-out speeds on a given stretch of road on my regular routes
- belt squeal is gone, hallelujah
- car now has the torque & speed to match its sound & looks
- this is the way that one would *expect* a 6-figure sport GT to feel; VAP has ironed out the wrinkles
Agree with all of that!
I have been running a Eurotoys larger crank pulley and the VAP tune for nearly four years now with zero problems and it's a joy to drive.
The main thing is the increased torque and hence throttle response in the mid-range.
Next is the improvement up top and they way it now revs right out to 7,000 rpm when before it used to give up the ghost at around 6,500 rpm.
And if you want mucho more SC whine at all revs and not just at the top end then fit a Mina Gallery lower intake kit!

Old 01-08-2022, 12:17 AM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The main thing is the increased torque and hence throttle response in the mid-range.
I agree, this is certainly the most noticeable improvement.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Next is the improvement up top and they way it now revs right out to 7,000 rpm when before it used to give up the ghost at around 6,500 rpm.
Now that reminds me of the first backroad fun drive I took after the install: being acclimated to the previous drop-off near the top of the rev range, I kept my foot in it just a bit too long and ended up carrying more speed than I intended into a curve. Nothing bad happened, but it was a bit of a pucker moment!

It took me a little while to recalibrate my driving habits to the newfound performance.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:49 PM
Sponsor
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

For those of you that are subbed to this thread. Our new 58mm upper pulley is now available for the V6 Engines:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...8/#post2499716

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 04-07-2022, 12:37 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I haven't read the entire 65 pages of this thread, I didn't see the following brought up for F-Type S owners who live in California:

With the tune and lower pulley, was your car able to pass emissions testing?
With the OEM tune, but with the lower pulley, did it pass emissions testing?

It's easy enough to back out the tune if required, but it would be nice to know both of the above.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
I haven't read the entire 65 pages of this thread, I didn't see the following brought up for F-Type S owners who live in California:

With the tune and lower pulley, was your car able to pass emissions testing?
With the OEM tune, but with the lower pulley, did it pass emissions testing?

It's easy enough to back out the tune if required, but it would be nice to know both of the above.

Thanks.
There's another thread on this topic:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...d-ecus-249131/

I was hoping for more details from anyone who has been through the process, but it's a bit light. Perhaps asking there will prompt some new response.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:17 AM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Just tried to read my stock file before applying VAP version.

After pressing "WORK" this is what happens

What am I doing wrong?

Old 04-18-2022, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Guardian

What am I doing wrong?
Have you tried asking VAP? That would be the first thing you should try, since it is their product and they would be in the best position to help you.

DC

skizot (04-19-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 08:14 AM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Guardian

What am I doing wrong?
Please, always reach out to us directly to solve problems more fluidly and rapidly.

All the information, including our technical support contact email and phone number are in the instructions.

Steps 1 and 2 of the instructions have resolved 99.999% of the concerns related to that error message.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Panthro (06-18-2024)
Old 05-19-2022, 12:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MisplacedPriorities
But if I read your reply correctly, if the new sniffer test actually matches the CVN against a database of software tunes, you're unsure if flashing back to stock map will pass...or at least that's how I interpreted it. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Just to add a data point here. I flashed my V8 S with a VAP tune back to stock, drove 100-ish miles until my code reader told me all the monitors are ready, and it passed California smog without issues.

I assume this means CARB is happy with the CVN and doesn't care about the P167F code (which btw only appeared after I flashed the ECU back to stock).

The following 2 users liked this post by samit:
Panthro (06-18-2024), WayneB (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 01:27 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by samit
Just to add a data point here. I flashed my V8 S with a VAP tune back to stock, drove 100-ish miles until my code reader told me all the monitors are ready, and it passed California smog without issues.

I assume this means CARB is happy with the CVN and doesn't care about the P167F code (which btw only appeared after I flashed the ECU back to stock).
Thanks Samit that is great news,.I think you are the first person on this forum that has said they have passed the CA smog test with a tuned car by flashing back to stock.
Lossking was going through CA the Smog check with his car but his only answer if he passed was "yes and no" but he also had 200 cell cats. But I wish he would give us a detailed count of what he had to do to pass,if he has.
Thanks Again,

Old 05-19-2022, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by samit

With or without the pulley(s)?

Old 05-19-2022, 01:52 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

With or without the pulley(s)?
I had just a tune, no pulleys or other performance modifications.

Panthro (06-18-2024)
Old 05-19-2022, 02:02 PM

I'm just wondering what the OEM tune will do when it sees slightly higher MAP due to the bigger crank pully. I think I read that it's "fine" but would like to confirm. I do realize that VAP probably knows...

Old 05-19-2022, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

I'm just wondering what the OEM tune will do when it sees slightly higher MAP due to the bigger crank pully. I think I read that it's "fine" but would like to confirm. I do realize that VAP probably knows...
The stock tune/PCM does not like a larger crank pulley and it will play up and revert to Restricted Performance (limp home mode) if you give it the beans.
A few of us me included have driven home after having a larger crank pulley fitted to then install the correct tune and the advice was to take it easy and keep the revs under 4,000.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:05 PM

So theoretically, it could work, (re)install the OEM tune and keep the rpm low until tested. As far as I know, they don't rev it that high during the test, though I'm assuming that they also don't rev it when they start it and move it into the shop...

Old 05-19-2022, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

So theoretically, it could work, (re)install the OEM tune and keep the rpm low until tested. As far as I know, they don't rev it that high during the test, though I'm assuming that they also don't rev it when they start it and move it into the shop...
Yep, that should work.
The stock tune won't let you rev it past 4,000 in N or P but a VAP tune removes this limiter, dunno what happens with this limiter if you whack a VAP tune on then revert to the stock tune but my guess is the 4,000 rpm limiter is reinstated. Also I dunno how a CARB test works, what gear(s) what revs etc, lucky there is no such thing/test in my neck of the woods!

Old 05-19-2022, 05:47 PM
Received 223 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Emissions.....

Hi Guys,
what's your take on a product like this. Snake oil or legit?

As far as the VAP Tune, it's my understanding that they don't recommend raising or removing the rev limiter because the engine can get damaged from the super high rev range. I'm sure someone will confirm this is clarify my statement.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R